HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)

Colorado forwards vs Edmonton forwards

View Poll Results: Colorado Forwards vs Edmonton Forwards ,, Who you got?
Oilers F 69 25.09%
Avs F 206 74.91%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-09-2013, 02:56 PM
cpsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
because you say so
did you forget? Landeskog knows how to hit!

did you see how many hits he had in his calder year? ZOMG

cpsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfansince95 View Post
colorado easily has all the pieces in place to be contenders in a few years on their forward group. a solid d addition with the development of hopefully seimens into a reliable shut down guy and we are knocking on the door.
Colorado has a great hitter a great playmaker a a great scorer and a great defensive forward on each of their top 3 lines
But the Oilers have more "skill"

29MacKinnon29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:57 PM
avsfansince95

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Downie, Tanguay, and McGinn are not what I'd consider "first line material" (yes, I realize one of them is on the Avs' first line). I would say that two first line is an argument that could be made, however.
i think he means every night one of those 3 lines will step up and be the top line. if you wanted a number one stacked line it would be O'reilly Duchene Landeskog. But colorado is trying to balance their team in a way to make each line competitive and making it difficult for a team to shut down all three lines

avsfansince95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:59 PM
29MacKinnon29
Calder, what's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsman View Post
did you forget? Landeskog knows how to hit!

did you see how many hits he had in his calder year? ZOMG
Landeskog does pretty much everything a coach could ask for. A 200 foot player. Yakupov skates fast and shoots the puck well.

29MacKinnon29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:00 PM
NHLpls

I like the Edmonton forwards better individually, but they are less effective than Colorado as a unit.

NHLpls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:01 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Boston beat Pittsburgh in part due to its well rounded forward core, not because it was the more offensive team or had the highest skilled forwards.

With that in mind, Colorado is my choice. Edmonton needs a strong two-way center for their #2 slot and more depth on their third line. Avs arguably do not need anything in their top 12.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:05 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I'm starting to wonder if Oilers fans consider hitting, backchecking, forechecking, blocking shots part of being skilled or if it's all about puckhandling, passing and shooting because this "Oilers forwards are more skilled" makes no sense to me. Several of their most touted players are quite unskilled (or uninterested) at very important aspects of the game.
I'm starting to wonder if offensive potential is even considered on this forum any more or if defense, weight, and height are the only things that matter.

Anyways, this is how I'd rank the top young players going forward (and in my opinion, the core is far more important than 3rd/4th liners).

MacKinnon
RNH
Hall
Yakupov

Duchene
Landeskog
O'Reilly

Eberle
Gagner
Statsny

Parenteau
Perron

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:08 PM
5RingsAndABeer
John MacKinnon Fan

vCash: 1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
Boston beat Pittsburgh in part due to its well rounded forward core, not because it was the more offensive team or had the highest skilled forwards.

With that in mind, Colorado is my choice. Edmonton needs a strong two-way center for their #2 slot and more depth on their third line. Avs arguably do not need anything in their top 12.
Using a 7 game series as a comparison of two teams is ridiculous. If it weren't for one of the biggest chokes in playoff history, Boston wouldn't have even made it out of the first round.

Furthermore, Boston is built from the net out. Chara is the most important player for the Bruins. The Avs (or Oilers) don't have anything like that whatsoever.

5RingsAndABeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:10 PM
IWantSakicAsMyGM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellOfVictory View Post
Downie, Tanguay, and McGinn are not what I'd consider "first line material" (yes, I realize one of them is on the Avs' first line). I would say that two first line is an argument that could be made, however.
Look at teams like Chicago. First line, Teows, Kane and Bickell. Bickell isn't a first liner, by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a good complimentary player on that line. In that sense, Downie and McGinn could be used on a first line. They aren't going to score the goals, but they are going to make room for the skilled guys to do their thing.

Tanguay isn't the physical guy who is going to go to the dirty areas of the ice. He's more of a good 2nd line setup guy. Not a huge stretch to see him on a first line, or at least the first PP unit.

IWantSakicAsMyGM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post

and Chicago beat the "center depth" of LA and the big bad Bruins with skill which proves there's more than one way to skin a cat

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:13 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Colorado. There has been a real method to the drafting madness. I believe Colorado to have one of the more balanced forward groups in the entire NHL. They only lack experience which is due to come in the next few years. So far this year the Avs have looked a lot better defensively and it has to do with the forwards playing better defensively (and Varlamov being a brick wall in goal).

I like the Edmonton forwards I just don't see them fitting together as well as the Colorado group.

Also, honorable mention for the Colorado 4th line. John Mitchell has looked beastly this year.

Last edited by KodiakArrest: 10-09-2013 at 03:19 PM.
KodiakArrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:19 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWantSakicAsMyGM View Post
Look at teams like Chicago. First line, Teows, Kane and Bickell. Bickell isn't a first liner, by any stretch of the imagination, but he's a good complimentary player on that line. In that sense, Downie and McGinn could be used on a first line. They aren't going to score the goals, but they are going to make room for the skilled guys to do their thing.

Tanguay isn't the physical guy who is going to go to the dirty areas of the ice. He's more of a good 2nd line setup guy. Not a huge stretch to see him on a first line, or at least the first PP unit.
People on here seem to get really hung up on terms and become almost OCD about what players should be doing and where they should be slotted. Sometimes stuff just happens because it happens. All the speculation in the world won't help you when random brilliance strikes. I love the Avs forward group and 10 times out of 10 I would choose them over Edmonton. This is hockey not figure skating.

I equate Edmonton's fowards to Ken Wu of the Mighty Ducks (ugh!).

Old
10-09-2013, 03:21 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
I'm starting to wonder if offensive potential is even considered on this forum any more or if defense, weight, and height are the only things that matter.

Anyways, this is how I'd rank the top young players going forward (and in my opinion, the core is far more important than 3rd/4th liners).

MacKinnon
RNH
Hall
Yakupov

Duchene
Landeskog
O'Reilly

Eberle
Gagner
Statsny

Parenteau
Perron
Thanks for illustrating my point.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
and Chicago beat the "center depth" of LA and the big bad Bruins with skill which proves there's more than one way to skin a cat
lol.

Landeskog The Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:26 PM
waldo17

Colorado by far

waldo17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:27 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post

MacKinnon
RNH
Hall
Yakupov

Duchene
Landeskog
O'Reilly

Eberle
Gagner
Statsny

Parenteau
Perron
I don't really see much offensive separation between MacK, RNH, Hall, Duchene and Yak. Nor do I think there's much of a gap between Staz, PAP, Landy, ROR and Ebs. But I'm apparently higher on Landy and Radar's offensive abilities than many. As is the sum offensive talent is very close in my eyes and the avs offensive talent being more spread around, with excellent complimentary pieces and versatility from each line, I like what we've got going more than the Oilers. But that's in large part because I think Gagner is the wrong #2 C for you guys, if you had that big strong #2 C who you could bank on in the dot and his own zone and who'd play a reliable and simple offensive game between Perron and Yak, it would be as evenly matched as you could find.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:36 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by kento19 View Post
Switch some of these comparables such as pairing hall with duchene instead and Colorado could arguably come out as the > in each column.

Hall=Duchene
RNH<Mackinnon
Yakupov<Landeskog
Eberle=ROR
Gagner<Statsny
Hemsky<Tanguay
Perron<Parenteau
Dont be a homer. Yaks is definitely going to be better than Landy.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:40 PM
KodiakArrest
MacWinnin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
Offensively? Definitely.

All around? No chance in hell.

Old
10-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

EASILY colorado for me... Duchene + MacK are going to be the best 2

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:41 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsfan09 View Post
ya i see landy being a 30+40 guy good seasons and yak 80pt 90pt on good seasons im probably gonna get tore up on that but i really see him 40 40 most seasons i don't think he will be stamkos caliber player consistently maybe some high 70pt seasons too

Old
10-09-2013, 03:43 PM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodiakArrest View Post
Offensively? Definitely.

Meh, Yak's an offensive guy and I don't think he'll ever be great defensively, but he's chippy and he fights along the boards, so I think it can certainly be close in terms of overall play if both hit the offensive levels I think they will, 30-35 goal scoring 70-80 points for Landy, 40-45 goals and 80-85 points for Yak.

cgf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:43 PM
frankthetank91

Avs not close for me. Not trolling but it seems like Edmonton tanked during the wrong time. Imagine Stamkos, Kane and Tavares compared to Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:45 PM
avsfan09

Quote:
Offensively? Definitely.

Obviously. But either way Landys not clearly better than Yaks.

If Yak hits his potential hes going to be a hell of a player.

avsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:49 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
People on here seem to get really hung up on terms and become almost OCD about what players should be doing and where they should be slotted. Sometimes stuff just happens because it happens. All the speculation in the world won't help you when random brilliance strikes. I love the Avs forward group and 10 times out of 10 I would choose them over Edmonton. This is hockey not figure skating.

I equate Edmonton's fowards to Ken Wu of the Mighty Ducks (ugh!).
based on what though?

the Avs haven't outscored the Oilers as a team in 2 seasons...
if you're talking about "all-around" game, the forwards certainly didn't help that cause by giving up the 2nd most goals in the W.C...shows me there's no evidence their "all-around" game is even there yet

I mean, in their head-to-head games last year, the Oilers smacked around the Avs to the tune of 15-9 GF-GA

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 03:50 PM
Landeskog The Viking
Duchene The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthetank91 View Post
Avs not close for me. Not trolling but it seems like Edmonton tanked during the wrong time. Imagine Stamkos, Kane and Tavares compared to Hall, RNH and Yakupov.