HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Dallas' Young Guns versus Rest of the Division's young players..

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2004, 04:51 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
Dallas' Young Guns versus Rest of the Division's young players..

Stolen from Mizral, who started the idea over at his Nucks board. But I was curious how the Stars would stack up vs the rest of their division. We all feel pretty comfortable with out youth and how the rest of the NHL always underrate the Stars prospects. But maybe we can get a more definite answer when we stack them up with some of our foes. This ain't the times where the Stars have Tyler Bouck as their most promesing prospect, those times of poor drafting appear to be over..

Note that the age limit among the forwards and defensemen is 25, while for netminders it's a little lower since they break into the NHL at a much higher age (below 30).

Like, Mizal, I'm comparing them by position, so here it goes:

Goaltending:

Anaheim: JS Giguere, Martin Gerber, Ilya Bryzgalov

This trio matches up well with the Stars, though the average age from the Stars trio, is much younger. Gerber is 29 already, and the once so highly touted Ilja is loaded with potential, but has yet to get a chance. He's still young though, so I'm sure he'll get his chance to prove his true worth, as he has all the talent to outperform Giguere, he's that talented.

Dallas: Marty Turco, Jason Bacashihua, Tobias Stephan (Dan Ellis, Mike Smith).

The Stars are deep in net, Turco is already among the best, while Cash and Stephan both have starting potential. Ellis and Smith are solid, but will likely amount into backups at best. The Stars should thank their goalie scouts..

Los Angeles: Cristobal Huet, Mathieu Chouinard, Milan Hnlicka, Matt Zaba.

The weakest link regarding netminding. Neither has starting potential, the closest one they have is Huet, but at 28, he better grab every oppertunity he gets.

Phoenix: Brian Boucher, David Leneveu, Zac Bierk

Not bad, but definitely not stellar either. I still have my doubts about Boucher, whether he can be a consistant starter for several seasons. I still see Bierk as a Corey Schwab kinda guy, solid backup though. David Leneveu is definitely a good one, about on par with our Bacashihua..

San Jose: Evgeny Nabokov, Vesse Toskala, Dimitri Pätzold.

Very attractive trio in terms of talent. I am a pretty big Nabby fan and I'm definitely liking what Toskala shows me so far as well. Dimitri Pätzold is decent from what I've heard, nothing earth shaking, but solid.

Overall, I think the Stars stack up well against the rest of their division. There are some who give good competition (SAN/ANA) and two who are clearly worse (PHO/LAK).

Defense:

Anaheim: Vitaly Vishnevski, Mark Popovic, Kurt Sauer, Brandon Rogers..

If Vitaly ever meets Mr. Potential, their defense could be quite a force. Popovic is very talented and could become their next version of Sandis Ozolinsh. Sauer is decent, should continue to progress into a solid stay at home banger. They do lack depth after this 3 however, as Rogers is quite a step lower.

Dallas: Trevor Daley, Martin Vagner, John Erskine, Dan Jancevski, Matt Nickerson.

This is supposed to be Dallas' weakest position. Daley is blessed with potential, if everything goes as planned, he should develop nicely into a top 3 defenseman. Vagner's upside is quite high, some say Tomas Kaberle others say a mix of Darryl Sydor and Richard Matvichuk, however, he has yet to enjoy a solid season ever since being drafted. Poor man Hatcher, John Erskine will likely not develop much further, an enforcer/banger type #4/#5. Jancevski is enjoying a supurb season in the AHL, being named to the All-Star team. Very solid stay at home defenseman, he's reliable and very aggressive. Could be one of the stories of the Stars this year, his potential however, is likely the same of Erskine, maybe slightly higher. Too early regarding Matt, but so far, I'm liking his progression. He seems to develop an offensive game, to go with his masssive frame. At worst, he will be a heavy weight defenseman, at best, a potential top 4 beast, ala Colin White. The Stars future defense might not have that future All-Star, but it's a deep and tough blue line no doubt.

Los Angeles: Lubomir Vishnovsky, Tim Gleason, Denis Grebeshkov, Aaron Rome, Richard Petiot.

Simply an awesome group with two bluechippers in Gleason and Grebeshkov, the latter who is probably among the best at his position and age. Rome and Petiot are quite underrated, both are actually quite comparable with the Stars Jancevski and Nickerson. They are both steady and physical and appear to have a booming shot. Definitly an interesting corps that could very well round out into the best one in in Pacific.

Phoenix: Ossi Vaananen, Paul Mara, David Tanabe, Matthew Spiller, Igor Knyazev, Radoslav Suchy, Beat-Schiess Forster.

Impossible for the Stars to match. A core with a lot of depth and it has a great mix of offensive and defensive blueliners. All the ones listed have top 4 potential, if they aren't one already. I do have my doubts on Knyazev though, I think his window is closing rapidly. Very impressive core, with Mara and Vaananen leading the way. IMO, they have one of the most promesing defenses in the entire NHL. I'm jealous..

San Jose: Brad Stuart, Scott Hannan, Christian Ehrhoff, Jim Fahey, Tom Preissing, Rob Davison.

Again, a squad that seems nearly impossible to match from a Stars point of view. 3 Absolute studs in Stuart, Hannan and Ehrhoff and 3 more then solid depth defenders in Preissing, Fahey and Davison. Stuart has all the tools to round out into a solid #1, while Ehrhoff and Hannan that of a #3. Fahey is a decent PP QB as well. In the games I've seen though, Preissing didn't impress me at all, he seems rather dumb the way he handle's dicisions while Davison is a decent checker with size, not much more. All in all, a very sound group, but I do question their depth a little. Just a scary tidbit though, Kyle McLaren is just 26 as well, so definitely a force to be reckoned with.

I don't think the Stars stack up well against their competitans regarding defense. Aside from the Ducks, they appear to be clearly worse then the rest. Mostly due to the fact they don't have that stud, nor as many sure thing top 4 blueliners. It remains interesting though, cause if Vagner develops like he should, and Jancevski and Matt continue their strong progression, the hole could very well grow a lot thinner, but will likely never close the way it stands now.

Offense:

Anaheim: Joffrey Lupul, Stanislav Chistov, Alexei Smirnov, Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, Tim Brent.

Along with their situation in net, their most promesing position. 2 Top notch talents who could very well become stars in this league in Lupul and Chistov, while Perry and Getzlaf have the potential to become very solid top 6 forwards as well. I personally doubt Smirnov will ever become his initial projection though, but even then, they have enough top end talent to overcome this. Definitely a strong core, with some interesting depth players as well. They do lack toughness up front, lots of skill, but few have an impressive size or the grit to scare and intimidate opponents. Mike Leclerc is about the only one, but he's 26 or even 27 already, so he doesn't counts.. ..

A group that lacks depth, size and grit, but the skill level is unreal. Very different from the Stars, but could be seen as a draw or win/lose, depending on your flavour.

Dallas: Jussi Jokinen, Brenden Morrow, Antti Miettinen, Steve Ott, Niko Kapanen, Loui Eriksson, Vojtach Polak, Joel Lundqvist.

A very, very nice mix of different talents. Like their other positions, they do not have that potential All-Star, but their depth more then enough makes up for it. They have the toughness and leadership characters in Morrow and Ott, the all-round Fin's in Kapanen and Miettinen, while Jussi Jokinen and Vojtach Polak could be the offensive threats they always dreamed of. So far Lundqvist remains their only answer at center (along with Hagos), but his skating and injury history raises questions. Recently drafted Eriksson more and more appears to become a steal, rather then a reach, all-round Swede has some sick playmaking skills. Further players to keep an eye out are Alexander Naurov and Mathias Tjärnqvist, who was impressive in his short stint with the big club. All in all, a position which again is missing the clearcut standout. There's no bonafide star, but I personally feel our depth and diversity is top notch..

Los Angeles: Alexander Frolov, Michael Cammalleri, Dustin Brown, Jared Aulin, Brian Boyle, Jeff Tambellini, Petr Kanko, Konstantin Pushkarev.

An utter rediculously talented pack. The Kings resolved their most glaring weakness, namely size, by drafting the 6'7 powerfoward Boyle in the latest draft. He joins an already talented, altough somewhat short, crop of quality forwards. Frolov has the size and skills to become a dominanting player and will definitely be a Star in this league. Cam and Jeff are rather short, and it definitely has a hand in their future as NHL'ers, even though they are both utterly skilled. Kanko and Pushkarev appear to be talented talents, and will be more then solid complimentary players to their stars. Simply put, the Kings have a scary looking future up front, it won't be easy for the Stars to match it.

Phoenix: Ladislav Nagy, Brank Radivojevic, Jeff Taffe, Fredrik Sjostrom, Kiel McLeod, Krystoffer Kolanos, Ivan Novoseltsev, Martin Podlesak, Jakub Koreis.

Man, it just won't stop, lots of supurb talents here, and they even have more in players like Ben Eager, Frantisek Lukes, Michael Schutte, Lance Monych. The clearcut winner in terms of depth and potential. The diversity is very well organised as well, with the size and toughness coming from McLoud, Podlsak and Taffe while the scoring comes in bunches from the rest, currently led by Ladislav Nagy, who at just 23 is already in the think of things. Some questionable ones though, like Radivojevic, Koreis and Novoseltsev, who I don't really like. All in all, a serious pack of talent to be jealous of, and Stars management should look no further then their next door neighboors to find prove that trading assets and signing young UFA prospects could definitely get you some unreal talent for the future.

If it wasn't for Nagy, the Stars would actually match up quite well with the Yotes. Both have some underrated prospects and both are relatively deep, but Nagy just jumps out and could become the star of the Pacific division. Something the Stars have no answer at..

San Jose: Patrick Marleau, Marco Sturm, Jonathan Cheechoo, Nicholas Dimitrakos, Milan Michalek, Brad Boyes, Steve Bernier, Marcel Goc.

A pack that differs so much from the Stars, that makes it hard to compare. Marleau seems to break through, being on pace for 35 goals, while Sturm plays a very mature style, providing a versatile and all-round game. Cheechoo is doing good as well, along with Nico, solid finds by the Sharks scouting staff. Watch out for Michalek and Bernier though, these two could make an absolute lethal combination when you realise they could be paired with Marleau and Sturm. 2 Offensive studs, the kinda types the Stars lack. Brad Boyes should probably make the NHL in the very, very near future. He's NHL ready and has an impressive skillset.. The Sharks also have some decent depth players and have improved their system greatly when you compare it with 2 years ago.

I'd like to think the Stars have the better depth and diversity, but once again, lack the top end guys like Marleau.

__________________________________________________ ___________________

Goalies:

1) Anaheim
1) Dallas
3) San Jose
4) Phoenix
5) Los Angeles

Defense:

1) Phoenix
2) San Jose
3) Los Angeles
4) Anaheim
4) Dallas

Forwards:

1) San Jose
2) Los Angeles
3) Phoenix
4) Dallas
4) Anaheim

Overall

1) San Jose - 12/15 points
2) Phoenix - 10/15 points
3) Anaheim - 9/15 points
3) Dallas - 9/15 points
5) Los Angeles - 8/15 points.

Strangly enough, the Kings appear to be the weakest link, that while I though they would probably come out on top. I guess their netminding situation killed them.

The Stars and Ducks have two very simular systems, particulary their netminding and defense and even though their forwards differ a lot, the overall value is utterly close in that regard as well, the Stars couldn't touch their top end talents, but the same could be said vice versa about toughness and depth.

So using my formula's and breakdowns, it appears that the San Jose Sharks are the most promesing team in the Pacific division. They are well stacked at every position and have no glaring weakness. They are followed closely by the Yotes though..

So .... in order to compare to our foes, I think we have to keep our pick, which could be pretty high, and either draft the best defenseman available, or the best center. My bet would be the defenseman since that would be a problem sooner.

There, I hope you enjoyed it..

Old
01-17-2004, 05:33 AM
Fighter
Legend

I think you're a bit harsh against Ducks forwards. Sure we haven't enough size compared to other teams but neither a bunch of Chistov-type of players. Perry and Getzlaf have tools and size to become MORE than simply 2nd liners IMO, especially Getz, who's not afraid to drop 'em if needed or throw his body around.
You also miss guys already "graduated" as Martensonn, Holmqvist and Kunitz, who is one of the best scorers in the AHL.

So I don't see any lack in depth but I agree generally about defense and goal position. Hopefully the lack of size and in the D department will be solved in the next draft.

Anyway great post overall

Old
01-17-2004, 05:42 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter
I think you're a bit harsh against Ducks forwards. Sure we haven't enough size compared to other teams but neither a bunch of Chistov-type of players. Perry and Getzlaf have tools and size to become MORE than simply 2nd liners IMO, especially Getz, who's not afraid to drop 'em if needed or throw his body around.
You also miss guys already "graduated" as Martensonn, Holmqvist and Kunitz, who is one of the best scorers in the AHL.

So I don't see any lack in depth but I agree generally about defense and goal position. Hopefully the lack of size and in the D department will be solved in the next draft.

Anyway great post overall
Thanks for your comments, and yeah, I think you are somewhat right, as I do have a bias for the gritty scoring forwards, preferably powerforwards. So I might have overrated that fact for the Ducks. They do lack size though, and they don't have the grit to compensate, so it remains a somewhat negative point, but like I said, I might have overreacted..

Either way, I think they have nothing to worry about considering youth, much less impact players.

Old
01-17-2004, 05:43 AM
Spiffy

vCash:
Great list.

One question though, didn't the kings lose Grebeshkov to the pens in the straka deal?

Old
01-17-2004, 05:46 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy
Great list.

One question though, didn't the kings lose Grebeshkov to the pens in the straka deal?
God no.. that was Strbak.. heh..

Old
01-17-2004, 05:58 AM
punchy1

Great read mate. Interesting. I of course don't agree but since this is an opinion sort of thing there isn't any way of discrediting (not exactly the right word then) your position.

The Kings Defence would have to be as good as SJ's at least. I would call it a draw. Lubo were the leading scorer for Bluey's as a rook and has gone on to rebound from his average rookie campagn and show some, at times, game breaking skills. If he were allowed to wander the open range like another Russian defenceman that plays in Dallas is, I would bet that Lubo would be one of the tops in the bus. (not a knock on your lad by the way) Corvo, with all of his average defencive play is a bonifide offencive player on the back line and, with a bit of hard work (probably his downfall but maybe not) might become a Schnieder lite player.

Grebeshkov might be the best of his age and we might find that out in a season (of course, with the kings you have to figure that the china doll syndrome will effect his developement more than it already has) You rightly list Rome and Petiot mate. Two solid 345 blue liners that have a Boucher Odonell sniff about them. Gleason has shown why he were worth trading to get. He is brilliant as a young d and, I don't fault his play at all when you consider that he was playing excellent for a 20 year old prior to his being sent down due to numbers or some other reason. Now he is back down and will straighten his self out again and show a dandy.

The thing I feel you miss on rating our D though is this. We have to have surpassed the Stars in defencive forward depth giving us a much better team defence than team like yourself and the ducks. Have a look at our kids and you will find us teeming with Scott Barneys Jared Aulins Brian Steckles Jens Karlsons etc who are all very good in that area helping make us one of the best there. IF we had a dandy goalie like youselves and the Ducks and Sharks I would feel us at the top there.

Same up front. Frolov is one of the top two of his draft year so far and has to be the best overall player in it. His 14 goals 15 assists and +8 he shows balanced scoring and solid defencive responsibility playing primarily (odly enough) as an "energy" line player who recieves precious little PP time and has, as always, until lately and due to injury plagued front lines, recieved less than 16mins a game on average and still been able to produce these solid second year numbers. I would bet that on a team where he were anchoring thier second line playing with simmilar players he would be doing even better. (foot note, his plus minus has dropped lately as has the entire teams as would be expected now that we are in the parts bin for scoring forwards and missing one of our top D it is finally starting to catch up.

Here is one more forward thing to look at. Have a peek at Camms total NHL games and his point production. IF he were allowed to play a full season ANYWHERE in the line up he was on pace for a 24 goal 11 assists rookie campaign. Look it up mate. Other than that you have us pegged. I also wouldn't discount Noah Clarke. He were one of the leading scorers in NCAA and had a nice couple of games with the Kings this year. He has faced difficult odds now throughout his hockey time and has met each of them. He might be a dandy. Brady Murray is scoring well in NCAA and has been (as reported by the Kings fans who have seen him alot) one of our top lads every year at rookie camp and another who I feel will suprise many. I like Marty Straka (although his declaring he needs surgery and will be indefinately prior to our team saying he did gives me pause) and would make the deal again but, Anshankov were a great young steal and will prove his self for the pens. Missing him has to effect your rankings no doubt.

Our goalie prospects aren't good so roberts your fathers brother on that one.(although it is significantly better than it was and Zaba aint bad)

Great read and again, I don't agree with the conclusions but and it appears niether would the pro pundits but that said, who truly knows what will happen with any of them so your guess is as good as anyone elses. Thank you for the effort mate.

Propper.

(for my detractors, I actually DID edit this one down, imagine the hot wind that has been cut, you could heat the tri states area for a week with it! )

Old
01-17-2004, 06:21 AM
willie

You are actually missing the Kings best goaltending prospect, their third rounder Ryan Munce. Munce is one of the best goalies in the OHL (if not the best) and is one of the leading candidates for the open goaltending positions on next years team Canada. He is probably the only Kings goalie with starting potential. (well Zaba is interesting as his numbers are amazing right now but it is way too early to tell with him whether he is a legitimate prospect or not)

Anyway, I don't disagree with the Kings goaltending rankings, and think the defense rankings are debatable but since the Kings have less proven talent I can't argue with third.

That said, I just don't see how the Kings aren't first up front. The Sharks are certainly very good but the Kings just have way too many names up front and I just don't think any team in the division is comparable to LA in terms of upside up front.

Old
01-17-2004, 07:37 AM
soya_sauce_chicken

nice post Mr Modano..
I agree witht he Ducks forwards.. Chistov and Lupul... Chistov's size is what hurts him.. even though he is getting grittier and grittier...
D wise, Sauer needs to get smarter and learn how to fight and bulk up..
Getzlaaf and Perry will be a force to reckon with..
Take Care.. Booyaaakkkaaassshhhhaaa!~!

Old
01-17-2004, 08:21 AM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

i agree w/ the defensive and goalie (if we could get minus points for lack of goalie prospects, i'd give it to us!) prospects for the kings but not sure if u went far down enough for the kings offensive prospects. u didn't mention brady murray, while small, he is a freshman matching parise point for point this year. he had a pretty decent tournament and is showing why he's not a 5th round pick. i had a thread about it earlier and one of hte posters who watched the games definately coudln't see a 1st to 5th round difference in play. if parise develops into a "can't miss" player, i dont see why murray can't be expected to break into the nhl. he's always been one of the best players in the kings prospect scrimmage so i think ther'es a lot of expectations for him.

Hogeboom is also a fairly good talent. tell ut he truth, i know little about him, but his stats are very good.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect.php?pid=3157

And then there's Noah Clarke who's already in the minor leagues doing major damage. not sure i qualify him as a potential NHL prospect just quite yet, but i think he has a shot at it in the future.

Anyways, these are just my thoughts

Old
01-17-2004, 09:59 AM
Starsdude

Extremely good work. I feel that the Stars have really failed themselves by taking reachs in thelast two drafts. Think how different this is if we are talking Hudler instaed of Vas or O' sullivan instead of Crombeen.

Stars have been hurt by trading picks for players but if this year continues to be poor they could improve their situation by picking up younger picks for players such as Barnes, Young Matty or Klemm. However because Army is on thin ice , I assume what you see will be what you get. The Stars look to be in a tough situation as no bono fide heir to Modano is here and Hatch is gone. Unless someone comes from no where or we get lucky this team looks to be among a number of teams who will use grit rather than talent to reach the playoffs.

Old
01-17-2004, 01:25 PM
McDonald19
Hampus

Chris Kunitz for Anaheim Forwards was a key missing guy.
He was a leading AHL rookie scorer...how did you forget him?
watch his NHL debut tonight vs Vancouver.

In terms of rating the forwards lower because of lack of size and toughness:
Im hoping Getzlaf becomes the player to overcome that.

Kinda strange to give Sharks #1 for forwards when Marleau and Sturm have already been in the league for years. They are great fairly young players but if you look at only prospects or rookies or second year guys then San Jose would not be number 1.

I completly agree with Anaheim having the worst defensive prospects in the division, and we are definetly thin in goal.

Old
01-17-2004, 01:54 PM
MOOSE55

Send a message via ICQ to MOOSE55
Since this is a young guns thread, I won't argue the rankings(I think the Kings should be higher though)......If it was a prospects thread, then I know the Kings would be on top.

Old
01-17-2004, 02:49 PM
hbk

extremely good post.

From the Coyotes perspective, it's nice to see someone outside the Coyote posting family to recognize what Phoenix management has been doing in their stockpiling of young talent as part of their rebuilding program.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:31 PM
Doomsday Device

Location: Gary Coleman's Finishing School for Doomsday Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by punchy1
Same up front. Frolov is one of the top two of his draft year so far and has to be the best overall player in it.
I just want to clarify, by top two do you think Frolov is better than Heatley or Gaborik?

Old
01-17-2004, 08:50 PM
Randall Graves*

I agree with some of your evaluations of the ducks prospects,I disagree about Bryzgalov ever being better then Giguere...I also want to point out that the Ducks have some good a little over 25 guys like Sykora,McDonald,Leclerc etc and I think Kunitz is going to be a pretty good player. I think Getzlaf will be a #1 center and Tim Brent seems to be a good pick(OHL all star) I think Smirnov is a 5 year project he has a ton of talent.

The Coyotes just have an unbelievable crop of young players and when you consider Doan is just 26 or 27 now their going to be a force in the Pacific division...I am a little surprised about how high the Sharks are on this list though.

Old
01-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modano = God
Thanks for your comments, and yeah, I think you are somewhat right, as I do have a bias for the gritty scoring forwards, preferably powerforwards. So I might have overrated that fact for the Ducks. They do lack size though, and they don't have the grit to compensate, so it remains a somewhat negative point, but like I said, I might have overreacted..

Either way, I think they have nothing to worry about considering youth, much less impact players.
Disagree about the size comment
Holmqvist is 6'4
Smirnov is 6'5
Getzlaf is 6'3
Perry is 6'3

Lupul isn't very big but he's a very fiesty player...now some of the players i listed like Holmqvist aren't going to be big scorers but he's a good grinder and will probley be a 15 goal a year NHL player when he fullfills his potential,one thing is for sure as long as Bryan Murray is around this team will get bigger...I love Getzlaf though he's just got great tools I can't really compare him to an NHL player because I haven't seen him enough but what I have seen(about 5 times) I like!

Old
01-18-2004, 12:47 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Make two YG Pacific AS team...

So if we were to make the official Pacific Young guns All-Star team, how would you have it? Note that you should try to build a team with actual lines, not like Canada and just select the best ones. Top scorers on the first 2, the defensive/two-ways on the 3rd and the grit on the 4th. And for fun, make two, one with the established NHL-ers, and one with the prospects/rookies or even sophmore's. Should be interesting..

Also, have you seen how stacked all of our left flanks are? Most teams are rather thin down the left side, but it appears to be every team's strongest position in this division:

Ducks: Chistov, Holmqvist, Smirnov, Kunitz.
Stars: Morrow, Miettinen, Ott, Jokinen, Polak.
Kings: Frolov, Tambellini, Cammalleri, Karlsson.
Yotes: Nagy, Radivojevic, Lukes, Schutte.
Sharks: Sturm/Marleau, Cheechoo, Michalek.

Pretty interesting tidbit is also netminding, the Pacific owns 3 teams with superior netminding depth, maybe even best in the league.

Ducks: Giguere, Gerber, Bryzgalov
Stars: Turco, Bacashihua, Stephan
Sharks: Nabokov, Toskala, Pätzold

Few teams, let alone divisions, could top this trio..

Are they more small little facts that jumps out in your opinion?

PS: Ducks fans, yes I overlooked some Ducks youngsters, coincidently, they do have size but will likely not amount into impact players, that said. I stand corrected..

Old
01-18-2004, 05:58 AM
punchy1

No mate, not close. I meant of his rookie year. My wrong.

Old
01-18-2004, 02:32 PM
Gwyddbwyll

Good job M=G.. big project and I was impressed by the neutral tone. Its interesting to read about what is most likely the least hyped division in the NHL and possibly one of the most stocked. I can see you've done a good job - certainly more accurate, I feel, than most outside fans' views of the Coyotes. However I'd just mention a few things

I think you're unduly harsh on the Coyotes goaltending which I think stacks up very well to to the Ducks, Stars and Sharks and didnt deserve to be omitted from your earlier list of 3. Although I have no problems with the reasons for ranking it #4.. the goaltending depth is insane in this division. I think Boucher deserves to be better regarded.. the guy has accomplished just as much as any of Turco, Giguere or Nabokov by breaking NHL records, going deep into the playoffs and becoming a starter. Leneveu is quite possibly the best goalie prospect of the lot and you missed JM Pelletier who is one of those forgotton prospects who just a few years ago was extremely highly regarded as any of these prospects are now. He has actually been playing at an reasonably high level all this time. Then there is Bierk which makes four behind Sean Burke. Its somewhat strange to hear this kind of depth being called "not stellar" when as Greg said in the Coyotes forum its really a major organisational strength.

One other strange thing was seeing Radivojevic mentioned with Koreis and Novoseltsev as questionable. Im not sure why you gave him that label. You're spot on with the other two and Knyazev though. But Coyote fans would name many others as questionable ahead of him. He's a real energy player.. bouncing around every night and contributing offense too.. an ideal third liner who is showing unexpected ability to step up when needed (currently 4th highest scorer on the team) which we're all pretty happy with in Phoenix. He was originally a third round pick but acquired as a FA. Is it because of his impressive junior numbers that you thought he was expected to be a star? I guess being questionable depends on what your expectations were. I saw you refer to him elsewhere as a LW.. he's primarily a RW.. so I think you may have your wires crossed on him but no biggie.

Lukes and Schutte who you mentioned in an aside are non-starters. Schutte was traded and Lukes is finding life tough out of juniors. Like Greg said in the Yotes forum better to name Redenbach (WHL leading scorer) and Stutzel (top scoring rookie on the Falcons) or Pestunov (solid Russian). The Coyotes probably lead the Pacific in questionable prospects with high upsides (Eager, Koreis, McLeod, Podlesak, Knyazev, Novoseltsev, even Kolanos and Gelech who was top scorer in the Pacific prospect tourney).

Anyway thanks for posting and good job again.

Closed Thread