Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2013, 01:07 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
It's the final countdown.

http://www.hockeyjournal.com/blog/ki...rankings-_10-1

Very good stuff. Might be a bit of a surprise at how high Trotman and Svedberg are, but at the same time really hard to argue against.

Lindblad to me is the one player who stands out as maybe being a bit too low coming off a camp in which the brass basically said he was good enough to play in the NHL right now

Old
10-02-2013, 01:57 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post

Very good stuff. Might be a bit of a surprise at how high Trotman and Svedberg are, but at the same time really hard to argue against.

Lindblad to me is the one player who stands out as maybe being a bit too low coming off a camp in which the brass basically said he was good enough to play in the NHL right now
Playing the long game...trying not to make knee-jerk evaluations based on a couple of strong games/quotes from coach.

Behind the B...if you watched closely...kind of summed it up- when Cam Neely first asked Chiarelli about him on Day 1 of main camp, the GM did the "ehhhh/so-so" hand wave, but said he's a guy who grows on you. Then Benning hit it out when he said something along the lines of: "At the rookie camp I was trying to see what all the excitement was about but he's really come on since." (paraphrased) That's precisely how he was for me in Coral Springs...did not do much to stand out, but couldn't find a thing to ding him on, either.

Encouraged by Lindblad, but I need to see more of a sample size. I thought I was fair to the guy, and to be frank- these rankings are hard to do because I have to measure NHL-readiness versus upside versus longer timelines.

At the end of the day, if you're taking issue over where I had Matt Lindblad, I guess I'm doing okay.

I certainly don't have a monopoly on knowledge when it comes to prospects, so there will always be disagreements and debates.

Old
10-02-2013, 02:08 PM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

I think it's more a case of "ceiling" than anything else. I liked what we saw out of Lindblad (as it would seem the team did), but I'm guessing the consensus is kind of what you see is what you get with him. He'll be a quality, responsible, bottom of the lineup guy, and he's probably already able to do that at the NHL level, but not much more.

Old
10-02-2013, 03:55 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

By the way, not really arguing Lindblad should be in the top 10. I think After the strong camp, you could make the argument he could slide in around #17/#18

I'd have probably swapped him with Warsofsky and called it a day, but I'm a non-believer in DW

Old
10-02-2013, 04:56 PM
PepeBostones

Thanks, Kirk!

A very impressive and updated scouting report on the longest list of true Bruins prospects ever released. I have never seen a scouting report on the Bruins prospects like that. The Bruins have never been close to so many prospects with the potential here reported.

I'm very happy you share it among us here at HF. Congrats to a superb work and such an effort. You've must spent many hours getting it done, all the research and interviews. Really appreciate this.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
By the way, not really arguing Lindblad should be in the top 10. I think After the strong camp, you could make the argument he could slide in around #17/#18

I'd have probably swapped him with Warsofsky and called it a day, but I'm a non-believer in DW
And I would submit to you that there is really not much of a difference between 17/18 and 22...it's really 6 one way, half dozen the other once you start getting further down the depth chart, and if Lindblad has a terrific impact in the AHL, that will go a long way towards elevating him on the mid-season list and depth chart going forward.

As I said in the initial article- this is a subjective review. There's no way of knowing what will happen 2-3 years down the road with a lot of these guys. I once had Matt Lashoff as high as #2. By the same token I also had Brad Marchand as high as #3 at one point when no one else thought he carried that kind of upside, so that just goes to show you that I'm no Nostradamus when it comes to projecting B's prospects, but people want to know what a possible future holds, so I do my best.

All I can guarantee is that I see the players live and through extensive film study, talk to NHL people inside and outside the organization and draw my own conclusions. I'm not a quantitative guy, so if you want that kind of projection, you have to go to the Hockey Prospectus guys.

Old
10-02-2013, 05:35 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
Thanks, Kirk!

A very impressive and updated scouting report on the longest list of true Bruins prospects ever released. I have never seen a scouting report on the Bruins prospects like that. The Bruins have never been close to so many prospects with the potential here reported.

I'm very happy you share it among us here at HF. Congrats to a superb work and such an effort. You've must spent many hours getting it done, all the research and interviews. Really appreciate this.
You are too kind, sir. As always, appreciate your heartfelt feedback.

Next up- another Boston Bruins Draft Flashback...this time, going back to 2006.

Old
10-02-2013, 06:50 PM
The Special K
Hoss MOFO, Hoss.

Great write up Kirk....but we expect that.

I am curious to hear what see Koko's bruins future being. If one exsists at all. I am personally losing faith that he will ever "get it".

Old
10-02-2013, 07:04 PM
bigbadbruins7

Great reads again. Thanks for the hard work

Old
10-02-2013, 07:14 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post

I am curious to hear what see Koko's bruins future being. If one exsists at all. I am personally losing faith that he will ever "get it".
Thanks.

It's up to him.

Talent-wise, easily one of the top prospects in the organization.

Offensively was quite good at the rookie tourney but that was expected of him. The complete game is lacking, and not sure about the work ethic.

But-- he's young and has a chance to address it this season in Providence. We'll see how he handles the full season in AHL and if he's stronger on the puck this time around.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:21 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Kirk.

Fantastic write-up and rankings, that I have a tough time debating. I am especially encouraged by where you have Trotman placed. Guy looks like the real deal to me and for you to have him ranked as high as you do is a credit to the rest of your list.

I'm curious though (as it's the first time I've heard it mentioned). Does Khokhlachev have motivation issues? He always struck me as being quite driven to improve and make the NHL...

Old
10-02-2013, 07:28 PM
Kirk- NEHJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Kirk.

Fantastic write-up and rankings, that I have a tough time debating. I am especially encouraged by where you have Trotman placed. Guy looks like the real deal to me and for you to have him ranked as high as you do is a credit to the rest of your list.

I'm curious though (as it's the first time I've heard it mentioned). Does Khokhlachev have motivation issues? He always struck me as being quite driven to improve and make the NHL...
Koko's always driven/motivated when he has the puck in the offensive zone. As for the rest of the time...that's the rub.

He plays with passion and exuberance at times, but the effort and body language is an issue for me at others. No questioning the talent, but the Bruins expect a certain set of values from their players- on and off the ice. A few people I respect & who are a lot closer to things than any of us have questioned that, and it is pretty well established that the Bruins attempted to trade him not once, but twice last season (Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla).

This is a big year for him. Not pushing for them to trade him by any stretch, but would not surprise me if it happened at some point.

Old
10-02-2013, 07:42 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk- NEHJ View Post
Koko's always driven/motivated when he has the puck in the offensive zone. As for the rest of the time...that's the rub.

He plays with passion and exuberance at times, but the effort and body language is an issue for me at others. No questioning the talent, but the Bruins expect a certain set of values from their players- on and off the ice. A few people I respect & who are a lot closer to things than any of us have questioned that, and it is pretty well established that the Bruins attempted to trade him not once, but twice last season (Brenden Morrow, Jarome Iginla).

This is a big year for him. Not pushing for them to trade him by any stretch, but would not surprise me if it happened at some point.
Thank you for the disappointing insight. I'm a fan of his and it kinda sucks to hear that he may not fit into the team's culture. I'll still hold out hope that he comes around.

Old
10-03-2013, 12:32 AM
nfld77

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
I apologize if this was previously posted but I thought It was a terrific outlook on our prospects.From Dougie Hamilton to lesser known prospects{at least to me}I took 2 hours studied each player, what a better pastime, love it..I was really impressed with Seth Griffith and think he's gonna be a real keeper.. Again, hope I'm not reposting and hope you enjoy this as much as I did..GO BRUINS!!!

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...20/#more-95121

I take for granted this was posted before??? I thought it was a great read on our prospects but I didn't have a single poster reply to it...Again, if it was posted before, sorry about that!

Old
10-03-2013, 07:02 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Two thumbs up Kirk.

If I had more than two thumbs, I'd put them up too

Old
10-03-2013, 07:05 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfld77 View Post
I take for granted this was posted before??? I thought it was a great read on our prospects but I didn't have a single poster reply to it...Again, if it was posted before, sorry about that!
That was from August 31 and I believe there was a thread dedicated to it, since long gone on my list. Maybe I'm mis-remembering but general consensus was people weren't happy with the list and it was started by Bill but taken over by Richard (who wrote it)

A much younger mind than mine that has a better memory might recall better.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:29 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Special K View Post

well, the guys he practices with and plays with have really beat the Koko drum. He's very likeable off the ice, and told his skill set is very high. These guys would know- so hopefully good things down the line for Koko. Love hearing what a good kid he is.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:32 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
love the write up Kirk, really interested in Ferlin and how he develops- I too expected to see Lindblad show up higher. I been honing in on him very closely and he clearly does a lot of things correct- very impressed with him. Doesn't seem overwhelmed and obviously is a bright kid. His defensive coverage and decision making with the puck seemed like a veteran.

Old
10-03-2013, 11:48 AM
neelynugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKH View Post
love the write up Kirk, really interested in Ferlin and how he develops- I too expected to see Lindblad show up higher. I been honing in on him very closely and he clearly does a lot of things correct- very impressed with him. Doesn't seem overwhelmed and obviously is a bright kid. His defensive coverage and decision making with the puck seemed like a veteran.
i liked the lindblad ranking. he has very little upside IMO. decent depth guy down the road, but those guys are easy to find.

Old
10-04-2013, 12:18 AM
nfld77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom - OHL View Post
That was from August 31 and I believe there was a thread dedicated to it, since long gone on my list. Maybe I'm mis-remembering but general consensus was people weren't happy with the list and it was started by Bill but taken over by Richard (who wrote it)

A much younger mind than mine that has a better memory might recall better.

Ok, got it Don..But I sincerely appreciate your response... At least now I know why there may have been the lack of interest.. Ah, we'll get a good hockey yarn going one of those nights. Been a fan for almost 50 yrs and still consider myself biggest Bruin fan here on the Rock!! Cheers and all the best my friemd..

Old
10-06-2013, 04:01 PM
PepeBostones

Mitch Dempsey

Noticed our 7th rounder Mitch Dempsey's not played more than two games for SSM. Since he showed some sign of improvement it would be sad if he's injured again? Hope it's not seriously.

Old
10-06-2013, 04:37 PM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Noticed our 7th rounder Mitch Dempsey's not played more than two games for SSM. Since he showed some sign of improvement it would be sad if he's injured again? Hope it's not seriously.
Will be back with the team Tuesday. Personal reasons.

Old
10-08-2013, 03:40 PM
PepeBostones

The scouting report of three OHL defensemen.

Thank you, Dom!

I wonder if you compare three defensemen with good size and regulars last season in the OHL. Jacob Middleton of Ottawa seems to have the highest upside, Brandon Prophet was also rated in your first draft preview, but the one I heard most about last season was Alex Peters of Plymouth.

Obviously Middleton is a rare talent, but a report on 2014 I read he had an average rating around 30 in all, while Peters was around 45 and Prophet was not amoung the 150?

Is it because of the unknown sources behind some 30 mock drafters doing this or has Prophet come on lately, more so than many of his peers.

I suppose you would think it's a weird question, almost impossible to answer, but I would just like to know how much trust and value to put in stock of this rating.

It's because I usually take a look at prospects that I've noticed since they were drafted in to the OHL in this case. It could be WHL, QMJHL, USHL or High School players. Players I sence could be around and perhaps fit the Bruins style. It's a hobby but I like it and follow Daily for years.
Since you follow the OHL and I trust your points and views with proof of sincere knowledge on scouting prospects I put this question forward.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:10 AM
Dom - OHL

Quote:
Thank you, Dom!

I wonder if you compare three defensemen with good size and regulars last season in the OHL. Jacob Middleton of Ottawa seems to have the highest upside, Brandon Prophet was also rated in your first draft preview, but the one I heard most about last season was Alex Peters of Plymouth.

Obviously Middleton is a rare talent, but a report on 2014 I read he had an average rating around 30 in all, while Peters was around 45 and Prophet was not amoung the 150?

Is it because of the unknown sources behind some 30 mock drafters doing this or has Prophet come on lately, more so than many of his peers.

I suppose you would think it's a weird question, almost impossible to answer, but I would just like to know how much trust and value to put in stock of this rating.

It's because I usually take a look at prospects that I've noticed since they were drafted in to the OHL in this case. It could be WHL, QMJHL, USHL or High School players. Players I sence could be around and perhaps fit the Bruins style. It's a hobby but I like it and follow Daily for years.
Since you follow the OHL and I trust your points and views with proof of sincere knowledge on scouting prospects I put this question forward.
Probably more meant for the draft thread..but here it goes.

Not big on mock drafts unless I know who's doing it. Many of them out there I just shrug at and wonder exactly how many games they get out and see or how much video they can really watch. Very rarely do I ever talk about a WHL or QMJHL player because I never get to see them. So I wonder how someone in Florida comes up with a mock draft when most OHL games aren't available there.

Anyways,

there's three tiers IMO when it comes to these d-men, Ekland, DeAngelo and McKeown are in a class of their own. Then there's the second group where Middleton comes in. Prophet to me is in the third group. (talking OHL'ers only here)

Middleton is a good kid, his parents live just two blocks from me. Just talked to his coach Misha Donskov last night and will have something on him this week.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:18 PM
Jonteeh

Peter Cehlarik continues to impress this season.

Hes out on loan from my hometown team in Sweden (Luleå) that plays in SHL, to our city neighbors Asplöven in Allsvenskan (Second division). Asplöven were originally told to be the team to finish last and get relegated but atm they are strongly sitting in the 7th place.

How about Cehlarik? Hes mainly playing in a line together with Lars Bryggman and another huge talent in Lucas Wallmark (both of them also loaned out by Luleå) and Cehlarik has 10 points in 10 games, 4 goals and 6 assist.

You guys should be excited about this guy, one of those players that really fits the style of play that Boston got. I was hoping for Kings to pick him in the draft, but congrats to you guys for a great young player!

Edit: Sorry for my ****** English, i'm Swedish after all

Closed Thread