HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jones vs Drouin- would you still want Drouin if draft was today?

Old
10-09-2013, 12:26 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Jones vs Drouin- would you still want Drouin if draft was today?

Most everyone wanted an offensive player in last year’s draft (myself included) and were very disappointed that we missed out on getting one of the “big 3”. Some even thought we still should have passed on Jones at 4 for the next best offensive player.

Considering how great Jones has looked so far, I wonder if people have changed their mind?

Hypothetical- knowing what we know now (Jones already looks great at NHL level, Drouin not making TB)- if the draft was today and Jones and Drouin were on the board for the Preds to choose from, would you still prefer Drouin???

I know the Preds have said that Jones was #1 on their board regardless, just curious to see if fan perception has changed

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:32 PM
Soundgarden

I wanted Barkov really, but mostly because I knew we had no shot at Mack/Jones. Definitely would take Jones over Drouin now, and in the future.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Knowing that Josi sustained his 5th concussion of his career in Colorado, absolutely I take Jones 4th overall again

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:55 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

vCash: 325
I would've taken Jones first. I said it then, I'll say it again.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 12:58 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
I was Mc and Jones 1& 2, with a preference for Mc given our historic offensive woes. So, sure, Jones of Druin, then and now.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:05 PM
Iron Duke

This isn't really a fair question. It's been a mere 3 games, and one of the two isn't going to see the NHL ice until next season, at the earliest. Not enough evidence to make any justifications, outside of one is playing in the NHL, one isn't, which isn't necessarily a situation you want an 18-19 year old in to begin with, with some exceptions.

That said, was a Jones advocate even if we were picking at #1, and seen nothing to dissuade that opinion. Would still take him over Mac or Barkov.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:09 PM
Webersmashpuck

I wanted Mackinnon, Barkov, Jones and Drouin during the draft.

Now switch Barkov and Jones and thats my order today.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
This isn't really a fair question. It's been a mere 3 games, and one of the two isn't going to see the NHL ice until next season, at the earliest. Not enough evidence to make any justifications, outside of one is playing in the NHL, one isn't, which isn't necessarily a situation you want an 18-19 year old in to begin with, with some exceptions.

That said, was a Jones advocate even if we were picking at #1, and seen nothing to dissuade that opinion. Would still take him over Mac or Barkov.
Yeah, it's sort of unfair when comparing Drouin and Jones, but it's also unfair to only put Drouin in this topic. The better question would be would you take Jones #1? I would've at the time, no matter how temporarily pissed the fans would be. Turning down MacKinnon would've been controversial, but taking Jones at #1 would be completely justified for any team, no matter their offensive struggles. Florida is a similar team to us and they dropped the ball big time with their pick.

Old
10-09-2013, 01:53 PM
Persona5

I wanted Barkov as I knew Mack wouldn't fall to us. The thing is we had no say in who we were going to draft. It was going to be whoever was left out of the big 4. I never wanted Drouin though as I didn't like his size and I hoenstly think that is why he didn't make his team this year. He is still going to be a really good play if not elite. Jones would still be my pick but I would still take Mack or Barkov over him simply because of team needs.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:03 PM
RaiderDoug

My board was MacK, Jones, Drouin, Barkov in that order.

I think the only change i'd make today is flip Barkov and Drouin.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:08 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
would you still want Drouin if draft was today?
No. I am now a believer.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 02:09 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I wasn't too happy with the pick at first but man I'm happy now. I'd still take MacKinnon over Jones right now but I'd have Jones at #2. Can't believe Neither of the florida teams took Jones.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
NoNecksCurse

i was wrong. i take jones over drouin easy. not sure about mack/barkov

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:18 PM
PFL615

Sometimes things work out for the best. I'm just glad we didn't take Mr. V

PFL615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:00 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

The name of this thread implies that some of us would have actually wanted to take Drouin over Jones if both were somehow available. That's insanity. I mean, I guess some of us would've been so desperate for an offensive pick that it would cause irrationality to happen, but the only guy I would've even considered taking over Jones is MacKinnon. Even then, I would've been hardpressed to pass on Jones. I remember watching the draft lottery hoping somehow we would rise to 1 so we could pick him. When we weren't in the top two I was disappointed he would be gone, so I was having to settle with other options. I remember debating between Barkov and Drouin, since the two best players would be long gone by then.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:06 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake744 View Post
The name of this thread implies that some of us would have actually wanted to take Drouin over Jones if both were somehow available. That's insanity. I mean, I guess some of us would've been so desperate for an offensive pick that it would cause irrationality to happen, but the only guy I would've even considered taking over Jones is MacKinnon. Even then, I would've been hardpressed to pass on Jones. I remember watching the draft lottery hoping somehow we would rise to 1 so we could pick him. When we weren't in the top two I was disappointed he would be gone, so I was having to settle with other options.
It would not have been insane to take Drouin over Jones this summer... this team has desperately needed a dynamic scoring winger... forever.... and our other need this summer was a top 4 Dman... I imagine Poile thought he was going to get the scoring forward in the draft and was planning on trading for a defenseman... because its a hell of a lot easier to trade for a top 4 d-man than it is to acquire a dynamic scoring winger by trade(ie I dont see anyone else letting us fleece them like the Caps did..)...

I think Jones is awesome and Im really glad we have him,(see my avatar) especially in light of Josi's injury.... but if Drouin eventually becomes another Patrick Kane, just ask yourself if you wouldnt trade Seth Jones for Patrick Kane with his whole career in front of him... I would, in a heartbeat...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Drake744
Keep Seth Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
It would not have been insane to take Drouin over Jones this summer... this team has desperately needed a dynamic scoring winger... forever.... and our other need this summer was a top 4 Dman... I imagine Poile thought he was going to get the scoring forward in the draft and was planning on trading for a defenseman... because its a hell of a lot easier to trade for a top 4 d-man than it is to acquire a dynamic scoring winger by trade(ie I dont see anyone else letting us fleece them like the Caps did..)...

I think Jones is awesome and Im really glad we have him,(see my avatar) especially in light of Josi's injury.... but if Drouin eventually becomes another Patrick Kane, just ask yourself if you wouldnt trade Seth Jones for Patrick Kane with his whole career in front of him... I would, in a heartbeat...
Yes I realize we need offense, and that's well established. But you also have to think that these are judgment calls. Could Drouin become another Patrick Kane? Sure. Would I expect it? No. Son't get me wrong, that doesn't mean I don't see him being a very good player, but in relation to his peers, who do I think is more likely to be the better player over the next 10 to 12 years? Jones, easily. I would far more expect Jones to be an elite defenseman in his career than I would Drouin to be an elite scorer. I would take that chance every time. I also understand the skepticism around "drafting another defenseman" but Jones obviously isn't the same scenario as us reaching up and drafting Ellis at 11. It's about as can't miss and can't miss gets.

I don't think I could convince myself to take a gamble and draft Drouin (or Barkov) over Jones looking in the long run and playing the odds as I see them. And sure, that's what I would see it as, a gamble. MacKinnon, maybe. Barkov, ehhhh, maaaaaybe. Drouin. No.

Old
10-09-2013, 08:29 PM
Nashville Transplant

As Kings fans were about a goal away from Stamkos, and "ended up" with Doughty, the question to them would be, "Would you still want Stamkos if the draft was today?"

Hey, it's Stamkos... but, we did win a cup with Doughty, who's a perennial Norris candidate every year, and should be for some time...

As for Jones, he was always my dream pick for the Preds, and I was at Dave and Busters sitting near some good ol' boys who were spittin' and a cussin' because they were pissed with the pick. I could only shake my head and laugh. The clue patrol van was nowhere in sight.

Seth Jones and now, Filip Forsberg will be the nucleus of this team for a decade... (and I'm excited to watch their development. Last night was a pretty good first dance.)

Nashville Transplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:33 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I thought Jones was for sure going to be gone at #4 so I didn't even prepare myself with the possibility of taking him. It still amazes me that the Florida teams passed on him.

Although it's exciting watching Jones, I can't help but think this team couldn't get anywhere with Weber + Suter in their prime so will there be a difference with Weber + Jones? Getting a franchise forward would have been a much needed change of pace.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:34 PM
dulzhok

Is way too early to tell.

I doubt anyone has seen Drouin outside of or few YT reels. Even if they have, predicting junior players can't even be done by those who are paid millions to do it.

The initial read on Jones is good, but people need to remember not to get too high or too low off 3 games, or even a whole year. There is such thing as beginner's good fortune. We need not look further than our own Craig Smith. Or for a prominent defenseman-- Brad Stuart... had one of his best years in the NHL at the ripe age of 19... Runner up for Calder.. 2nd highest points of his career. He went on the have a solid career but far from the superstar he looked like in his rookie year. Dion Phanuef had 20 goals his rookie year (and a hype train longer than the state of Tennessee), and he has yet to hit 20 again. He's turned out better than B Stuart, but if Jones only amounts to Phanuef, I'll be disappointed.

Not saying Jones will fall into that category, but penciling him in for a rock solid 25 mins for the rest of this season and career is jumping the gun. Perspective.

One of the only things people can agree on is that we are starved for offensive ability. Picking the likes of Pickard, Ellis, Blum with recent 1st rounders was foolish. Certainly Jones looks of a different breed, but we still have huge voids offensively now and in the future.

As for Druion and Barkov, who the heck knows? We didn't even have the opportunity to pick them. The retrospect question 5 years down the road will be Lindholm, Monahan, whatever other 18 yr old who was picked in the first round.

Last edited by dulzhok: 10-09-2013 at 08:41 PM.
dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:24 PM
TootooTrain
-

Like others have repeated, its far too early to say. In the heat of the moment I had the suspicion that Drouin could have easily gone 1st overall. So I didnt even think of him as a posibility. It was down to Barkov and Jones and like many others I was shocked that Jones was passed on by Florida. You cant go wrong with either pick even though it would have been nice to get some offensive talent to build around Wilson, Forsberg , Hornqvist etc. In hindsight, not knowing how severe Josi's injury could be, I'd say the right choice was made.

TootooTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 10:48 PM
jstreet
Smashville

vCash: 14500
I'll admit it. On draft day, I was sick to death that we missed out on getting some offence. Jones has made me a believer. Long live Jones.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 11:17 PM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

"If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, oh what a lovely Christmas we'd have."

Jones could have ended up going to Colorado, inhaling voluminously as Roy tried to turn him into something he wasn't, and he either ends up starting the season in Cleveland or just waffles around in high US juniors for another season.

McKinnon? He could have ended up coming here, not "fitting" into Trotz's system, and getting shipped back to juniors while we're all cursing because our top D-pairing is split up because Josi was hurt.

Sorry, we could always say "we could do better", but then again we could always say, "we could be worse."

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 12:49 AM
1c3

Like many, I was disappointed (and a little shocked) that Florida snatched Barkov, but when I heard that we landed Jones, I was actually excited and pretty surprised at some of the comments lamenting the pick, especially since the other 3 were off the board. I have my problems with Poile, but I knew he had absolutely made the right choice, especially given the hand he was dealt.

The moment before Tampa Bay chose, though? Once Barkov and MacKinnon (of course) were off the board, I didn't really care, as my attention was more focused on how pissed I was at Florida. Drouin or Jones would've been great in their own way, but so far - and it's admittedly not the fairest comparison right now - I like Jones much, much better.

1c3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 01:31 AM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

From first impressions I'd still have us take Jones. The kid has been impressive, very impressive to say the least. He's playing first pairing minutes on his off side, think about that for a second, a 19 year old kid, playing first pairing minutes on his off side. Most kids can't make it to the NHL on their good side and here is doing it on his off side. I'm sorry but if that doesn't blow you away right off the bat, nothing will impress you about any hockey player. There was a reason Jones was rated number 1 for most if not all of the year leading up to the draft. How many kids have come in to the league and played like this on D? I didn't get to see Doughty play his first year that much and I know he was good but was he this good? The thing that gets me is that Doughty is a great defenseman but to me, he's topped out, I just don't see him getting better. With Jones, there is something there that makes you go, this kid is already special and we've only seen the tip of the iceberg with him, that's the scary part. He's as tall as he is and skates as well as anyone I've seen at any size. His stick handling and instincts are ridiculous. He's made a few mistakes here or there but that's to be expected but he has the chance to be something really special and no matter what Drouin turns into later on, if Jones keeps doing what he's doing, I'd take Jones every single time above any of the three guys that went before him.

I think it's funny that teams were scared off because picking a defenseman number 1 has been a bit of a letdown over the last 30 years or so since Potvin was selected number 1 overall but I think Colorado, Florida and Tampa Bay are going to regret not taking him for years to come. I think they already regret it to be honest.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote