HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recurring issues with this team

Old
10-09-2013, 03:59 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The recurring issue is the lack of offensively gifted players combined with a defense that offers little offensively. I didn't like the personality of Torts but I believe he played the smartest system for his personnel.

I believe that AV will come to the same conclusion.
Then he will be fired and we can start all over. So let's start talking new coaching options.

How about Mark Messier?

10-09-2013, 04:00 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
The Rangers do not make the playoffs in any year without Lundqvist and are a bottom-five team in several of those years as well.
The Rangers weren't a bottom 5 team with Dunham in net...

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:05 PM
bmoak

No, they were only the sixth worst team his last year....

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:10 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
The recurring issue starts and ends with the GM /thread

Glen Teflon Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:17 PM
mike14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
No, they were only the sixth worst team his last year....
Exactly....

One year of a top 5 pick, and then signing one of Halak, Elliott, Hiller who are all UFAs, doesn't sound like worst plan if you are looking to take the team in a different direction

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:41 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Then he will be fired and we can start all over. So let's start talking new coaching options.

How about Mark Messier?
The personnel is lacking so they should fire the coach?

Is that you, Glen?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 04:48 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Don't think that's what he said.

He said once AV realizes how the personnel lacks, he'll adopt a similar system as Torts had, which will inevitably lead to him getting fired so why not start discussing new coaches now? And I'm fairly certain it was all tongue in cheek.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:

Is that you, Glen?
Pretty sure that's what I was getting at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK Pilot 76 View Post
Don't think that's what he said.

He said once AV realizes how the personnel lacks, he'll adopt a similar system as Torts had, which will inevitably lead to him getting fired so why not start discussing new coaches now? And I'm fairly certain it was all tongue in cheek.
Yes, thank you.

Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:50 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:

Is that you, Glen?
Do you somehow expect Sather's 13 year plan to be any damn different once this coach is gone if he's still the GM?

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:52 PM
realcatfishhunter

last year the team changed when they aquired ryan clowe. yeah he was definitely not the best player but he worked hard and he was a baddd dude. they guy would fight for anyone on the team after being with them for a few short weeks and it brought the guys together. the reoccuring thing is the rangers keep getting rid of a part of their heart and it keeps biting them in the ass.

realcatfishhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by realcatfishhunter View Post
last year the team changed when they aquired ryan clowe. yeah he was definitely not the best player but he worked hard and he was a baddd dude. they guy would fight for anyone on the team after being with them for a few short weeks and it brought the guys together. the reoccuring thing is the rangers keep getting rid of a part of their heart and it keeps biting them in the ass.
We also won a playoff series without him as he played what 1 game + 1 period in that series?

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:04 PM
realcatfishhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
We also won a playoff series without him as he played what 1 game + 1 period in that series?
yeah they looked really good against boston too right? i'm just saying the reoccuring theme is that they're too soft and whenever they get a good lockerroom guy who will fight for his teammates and the name on the front of his jersey, they get rid of them and then wonder why they get out hustled, and outmanned a majority of the time.

And again fighting isn't all i'm talking about. I'm talking playing hard every shift, banging bodies, putting your body on the line. and doing something when your team is down 3-1 and not letting the game turn into a 9-2 game.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by realcatfishhunter View Post
yeah they looked really good against boston too right? i'm just saying the reoccuring theme is that they're too soft and whenever they get a good lockerroom guy who will fight for his teammates and the name on the front of his jersey, they get rid of them and then wonder why they get out hustled, and outmanned a majority of the time
Maybe theres a point somewhere in your general theme...but Ryane Clowe was/is a beat up tomato can. Brassard, who is anything but tough, had a much bigger impact.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:08 PM
NYR2007

the trade for nash destroyed this team. I don't care what you guys say, this team has no heart and that was always the rangers problem. But when we had dubby etc. that was the first time the team had heart. stuck up for team mates etc..

NYR2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 06:09 PM
realcatfishhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Maybe theres a point somewhere in your general theme...but Ryane Clowe was/is a beat up tomato can. Brassard, who is anything but tough, had a much bigger impact.
not arguing that brassard didn't have a major impact. i'm just saying the rangers entire attitude changed when clowe was acquired. he is beaten up and no chance should've gotten resigned, however the guy made the rangers squad not a complete pushover

Old
10-09-2013, 06:36 PM
McD27

This is a bottom 4 playoff team in the East. Good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two but don't have the depth and size to win 16 in the playoffs. And this is going piss off the henrik fan club. The King hasn't exactly show that he can carry a team for more than a round in the playoffs either.

McD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:15 PM
NYR94

Send a message via AIM to NYR94
The recurring issue is Sather. For whatever reasons the organization will change coaches, change players, but not change GM. Last time I checked the GM is the one who picks the coaches and players. If his yearly combination of coach and player personnel fails to achieve the ultimate goal every season he's been here, isn't it time for him to go? How much worse can his replacement be? 5 playoff round wins in 12 seasons and NO Stanley Cups doesn't warrant the job security Sather has had.

What is his plan? What is the team identity under Sather? He's making it up as he goes. Last spring it was the coach's fault. Can't wait to see who he blames after this season.

NYR94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by McD27 View Post
This is a bottom 4 playoff team in the East. Good enough to make the playoffs and maybe win a round or two but don't have the depth and size to win 16 in the playoffs. And this is going piss off the henrik fan club. The King hasn't exactly show that he can carry a team for more than a round in the playoffs either.
Seriously. Someone needs to teach him how to score goals.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 07:39 PM
McD27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Seriously. Someone needs to teach him how to score goals.
Or trade him to one or two who can score a bunch..winning 6-5 gets same 2 points as winning 1-0 SO

McD27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:19 PM
Doctor King Schultz
Garian Maborik

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR94 View Post
The recurring issue is Sather. For whatever reasons the organization will change coaches, change players, but not change GM. Last time I checked the GM is the one who picks the coaches and players. If his yearly combination of coach and player personnel fails to achieve the ultimate goal every season he's been here, isn't it time for him to go? How much worse can his replacement be? 5 playoff round wins in 12 seasons and NO Stanley Cups doesn't warrant the job security Sather has had.

What is his plan? What is the team identity under Sather? He's making it up as he goes. Last spring it was the coach's fault. Can't wait to see who he blames after this season.
I agree with this completely, as I'm sure many here do. The GM is holding the team back more than anything else is.

Doctor King Schultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:24 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
So it wasn't Tortorella after all? How long before we hire Peter Laviolette?
I think you've got it wrong. Players do not lose the game as much as coaches do. AV was badly outplayed by Mac.
We played 3 games so far. The first game was a continuation of preseason, it was 180deg turn away from Torts hockey. Puck possession, no dump-n-chase, no vigorous forecheck. We lost because we could not play that way. Nash could not get over blue line with the puck for his life. The rest were either worse or no much better. The team could not play VAN hockey. Okay AV said, play the hockey you can. He surprised Sutter who had his game prep expecting VAN hockey from Rangers. Instead Torts should be proud of Rangers showing in LA. They turn Torts teachings into one of the best performances of the Blueshirts. What we played in SJ was neither AV stile nor Torts hockey. It was a hybrid that I am sure AV will never repeat. Plus his team was tired and could not match against a quite hot Sharks. The fact that both goalies were off entirely resulted in spanking, but Rangers were not as bad you picture them.
Rangers are the work in progress. That is why I hate to change coaches. Well, we have to accept it, I guess.

Last edited by 94now: 10-09-2013 at 08:30 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:26 PM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I think you've got it wrong. Players do not lose the game as much as coaches do. AV was badly outplayed by Mac.
We played 3 games so far. The first game was a continuation of preseason, it was 180deg turn away from Torts hockey. Puck possession, no dump-n-chase, no vigorous forecheck. We lost because we could not play that way. Nash could not get over blue line with the puck for his life. The rest were either worse or no much better. The team could not play VAN hockey. Okay AV said, play the hockey you can. He surprised Sutter who had his game prep expecting VAN hockey from Rangers. Instead Torts should be proud of Rangers showing in LA. They turn Torts teachings into one of the best performances of the Blueshirts. What we played in SJ was neither AV stile nor Torts hockey. It was a hybrid that I am sure AV will never repeat. Plus his team was tired and could not match against a quite hot Sharks. The fact that both goalies were off entirely resulted in spanking, but Rangers were not as bad you picture them.
Rangers are the work in progress. That is why I hate to change coaches. Well, we have to accept it, I guess.
Coaches have a bigger impact than personnel? In which universe?

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:57 PM
Raspewtin
Early To The Party

vCash: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
the trade for nash destroyed this team. I don't care what you guys say, this team has no heart and that was always the rangers problem. But when we had dubby etc. that was the first time the team had heart. stuck up for team mates etc..
so you'd like Dubinsky and Anisimov back at the expense of Nash? $4.5 million dollars for 10 goals and heart. Unacceptable. This team would've been out of the playoffs last year if the Nash trade didn't happen. Some posters overvalue "heart" way too ****ing much.

Raspewtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:33 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Is this the return of the annual "This is a bad hockey team" thread?
For the record, I didn't mean to come across as one of the: "This team sucks the season's over we're not making the playoffs!!!!" types... I was more speaking to the obvious weaknesses our team has had for the past three seasons (at least) and more so how this hurts my enjoyment of watching this team play hockey. It just alway seems like there's a level of skill that is missing from our group when you compare it to the team on the other side of the ice. Even Phoenix looked more confident/skilled than us in game 1.

THIS IS NOT A DOOM and GLOOM thread. Just talking about some issues I've noticed. I STILL think we're going to make the playoffs and I'm NOT asking for AV's head. I'm just wondering if our roster is capable of playing the type of system AV wants.

EDIT: Oh and the fact that some of you are bringing up the "back-to-back" and "tired" excuses for the loss against SJ is appalling. Have you guys really brainwashed yourselves into believing that team is already exhausted at the third game of the season? I don't want to hear **** about the fact that it was a back-to-back game. Accept the fact that we sucked in that game and it had nothing to do with it being the second game in two nights.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:52 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
People only remember the heart and hard work of the 2011 team

they forget that Gaborik was a god damn scoring machine that year and Henrik played out of his face for the entire season

the problem last year was NOT a lack of heart...it was the utter disappearance of Marion Gaborik and a coaching regime that had run its course

the Rangers haven't struggled in recent history because of a lack of heart, they've struggled from a lack of scoring, plain and simple. Look at their more successul seasons since the lockout and what do you see? Jagr and Gaborik scoring like madmen

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote