HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Erie Otters 2013-14 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
BramptonFan09

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightSpit View Post
For the first time I OHL Live Streamed the Opening Night Game

[B]Quality:[/B] Have any of you done so. The picture was OK, but the PA system and announcer was way too distorted. So I streamed the FOX Erie Radio Sports Otter's play by play, but it was 6 seconds behind the Live Stream. So that sucked.

Crowd Size: Was anyone there, it looked pretty full ?

Game: Curtis, that guy what a pick up, good hands and likes to play rough. In fact I think your new coach has a philosophy that all players must give and take a hit, or they are done as an OTTER? If that is the case, that is a great move.

Forwards: McDavid got a beauty highlight goal and just seemed to hold onto the puck forever until the goalie was at his mercy. Gotta Love FOX, man the Knights never should've let that guy get away. He is so involved in the game, both on offence and Defence. Otternews, I know you said Murphy should be back in the line up and he was. That line of Murphy, Evans and Strome, I think the 3rd line, was crashing and banging and creating all sorts of chances and I do not think they were scored against during the entire game. They should try and keep that line together, interesting to see what you will do when Harper gets back ?

Defence: Felker looked good and was being very aggressive on the puck and was throwing a few hits. Maybe the rust is finally off. Still think Erie needs to trade for that top 2 D man.

Food: So OtterNews or anyone else, were the concessions the same, less more and what do you guys charge for a beer now in Erie. In Windsor and London, you better bring your check book for one lousy warm beer and over priced food.
I made the trip down to watch two of my favourite teams. Erie looked awesome held them to under 20 shots. There were a few guys that stood out to me for the Otters.

Obviously Fox, Burakovsky, Brown, McDavid, Pelech, Strome looked awesome they will tear up the league. But there are a few unsung guys who stood out to me that will make or break this team in the long run.

Mike Curtis- what a pick, I don't regret that trade one bit. He does it all, hits, scores, blocks shots. He seems to be an amazing leader. He will grow into a fan favorite. This guy will be huge for us in playing against the other teams top line.

Kyle Petit- I don't think this guy ever loses a face off. Wow! Blocking shots on the penalty kill, getting pucks in deep and really playing simple defensive hockey. He's a Mike Curtis in the making! He could be an NHL draft pick if he can manage to put up a few points.

Spencer Abraham- I never thought McDowell would be the odd man out coming into camp but Abraham is a changed player. Confident with the puck, had a huge shot block last night, and skating effortlessly up and down the ice with the puck making good plays.

Travis Dermott- This guy is going to be a stud. He's confident and skilled, and can't wait for him to continue to progress, he's going to be dominant. Such a huge addition, could be my new favorite Otter.

Darren Raddysh- this guy is a real diamond in the rough. Holding his own playing against the teams top lines in the OHL as a rookie is outstanding. He's a rock defensively and confident with the puck. Would surprise me to see him drafted. He's been a steady Eddie for Erie.

Donnay still hasn't impressed me, -2 in an 8-4 win? When will the coaching staff take him off the second pair with Dermott, Abraham is more deserving. It could be the whole rangers situation keeping him on the ice more than guys like SA, Dermott, CG.

Overall amazing job with the rink and to think that wasn't even a full lineup which was missing some crucial players. Very exciting times ahead. I'll be in Kitchener Friday.

Old
10-06-2013, 02:45 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Was an awesome home opener. We can't be disappointed with an attendance of 5,711, that's a franchise record for attendance. And I know we were probably for hoping of a sellout (we can hold 6700 now) it was still a great crowd, and loud as usual. Also, we always draw much better in the second half of the season compared to the first. Much less competition from high school sports, and the winter weather seems to bring people out. I also think this team still has to win back quite a bit of the fanbase. We're looking good so far but after ten years of futility it's going to take more to get people to spend their money on hockey games on a tight budget.

About the arena/food:

The arena is simply amazing. I haven't been to any other OHL rinks but I'm just going to make the assumption that this is at least top 5 in the league, probably top 3 with London and Kitchener. Other than the chicken basket, I didn't notice a huge food price increase. Pop/Beer were about the same I believe, same with nachos and pretzels. You won't get a warm beer here.

Now, about the actual game:

-Dansk was a bit shaky, but he played well in the first four games and when you score 8 goals, you can get away with that kind of performance.

-Defense looked pretty good, did hold them to only 20 shots. First five minutes we didn't look so good, but after that we completely controlled the game save that two minute stretch in the second when they scored twice.

-I think Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown just showed they can play together. We'll see how it goes when teams try to adjust to them, but I think that line can work without moving Fox up there and Burakovsky down. Plus I liked Fox-Curtis-Hodgson.

-I liked Strome-Murphy together, I think when Harper comes back he should slot in on that left wing. Pettit-Betz play well together, so I see Evans on the 4th line LW, with Wood and Maksimovich as the odd men out. A cut has to be coming soon with Wigle returning shortly. The bottom two line wings are just a huge battle.

3-2-1-0 is a solid start. Hopefully we can get this win wednesday against Owen Sound to go above .500 for the first time in i dont know how long.

Old
10-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I think the beer is the same price, but... I'm usually kind of drunk when I'm at the games so my memory could be wrong.

Old
10-08-2013, 07:27 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Found out today from Vic that the top three lines for tomorrow night will be:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Hodgson
Harper-Strome-Wigle

Also Pettit is obviously guaranteed the 4th line center spot. His lack of offense thus far has been a little disappointing given some of the improvements in camp I saw (granted he isn't playing with offensive powerhouse wingers) but he is great defensively, wins a ton of face offs, and is very important on the PK. So he'll get his minutes. With Wigle back and healthy, and he shows to be in game shape and bounces back this season, we have 3 lines that can score and a logjam for the fourth line. 5 guys (Evans, Betz, Murphy, Wood, Maksimovich) battling for two spots. I imagine a cut is coming soon, if I had to make a guess it's Maksimovich, who hopefully finds a spot in the OJHL or somewhere similar and keeps improving, he could be a good 3rd/4th line center next season.

Old
10-09-2013, 06:10 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Looks like:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Hodgson
Harper-Strome-Wigle
Evans-Pettit-Betz

Pelech-Raddysh
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Abraham

Dansk

will be the lines tonight. Should be able to handle an Owen Sound team who is suspect defensively to say the least.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:07 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieottersnews View Post
Looks like:

Burakovsky-McDavid-Brown
Fox-Curtis-Hodgson
Harper-Strome-Wigle
Evans-Pettit-Betz

Pelech-Raddysh
Dermott-Donnay
Felker-Abraham

Dansk

will be the lines tonight. Should be able to handle an Owen Sound team who is suspect defensively to say the least.
Maybe this is the game, some of the guys can get going.

Old
10-09-2013, 07:56 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Maybe this is the game, some of the guys can get going.
Replace Abraham with Bell and I like that lineup quite a bit.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:06 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Re PetesFan: Abraham has been playing well, he deserves that OA spot. If we make a trade for a defenseman, it should be a vetaran puck mover, a 94, and preferrably a right-handed shot. This would push Donnay out of the lineup and Raddysh down, and our defense would look pretty good. But even w/o Genovese, we have only given up 36 shots in the last two games.

Pretty amazing finish tonight. We played great defensively, held a good offensive team to only 16 shots and two goals, and one of those goals was off a major miscue by Dansk. Offense was a bit sluggish through the first two periods, especially the powerplay, but we picked it up in the third and ultimately got the result we deserved. A win Friday @ Kitchener would be huge. Also, with our record standing at 4-2-1-0 we now have a winning record for the first time since the end of the 2010-2011 season.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:21 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Re PetesFan: Abraham has been playing well, he deserves that OA spot. If we make a trade for a defenseman, it should be a vetaran puck mover, a 94, and preferrably a right-handed shot. This would push Donnay out of the lineup and Raddysh down, and our defense would look pretty good. But even w/o Genovese, we have only given up 36 shots in the last two games.

Pretty amazing finish tonight. We played great defensively, held a good offensive team to only 16 shots and two goals, and one of those goals was off a major miscue by Dansk. Offense was a bit sluggish through the first two periods, especially the powerplay, but we picked it up in the third and ultimately got the result we deserved. A win Friday @ Kitchener would be huge. Also, with our record standing at 4-2-1-0 we now have a winning record for the first time since the end of the 2010-2011 season.
Did u see Burakovsky's goal?

Im kind of waiting for the 4-5 point game from #97. Ill be honest Im kind of surprised. I hope he isnt feeling the pressure of all the expectations placed on his shoulders. He does great things in the game and more is asked u do well at U18 and U20 is calling, people expect big things and it must be tough because 95% of the league is just playing. That would be so difficult for a 16 yr old to handle, but he is doing an unbelievable job. If he was like the other 97's this would be his rookie year. Kind of surprising given what he has accomplished in the last year. I think one big game will key a surge of some major production, bottom line they are winning.

Last edited by mapleleaf979: 10-09-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old
10-09-2013, 10:43 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

I think the New York Rangers and Donnay's agent have influence on that situation. If he is hurting the team though u could try and move him. Ive seen the Otters play only once this year so cant comment on any improved play from him, but l was kind of surprised to see NYR sign him after the year he had. At the same time, if he fills out he might become something but that might be 4 yrs from now. Is he contributing the least right now from the Top 6 defenseman? If the the people in the stands see it, make no mistake the players see it too. All those Otters players can judge talent and would feel the same way.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:55 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

@mapleleaf regarding your first post:

Yeah I was at the game, Burakovsky's goal was an absolute snipe. Bad angle, somehow squeezed it in top right. I'm not sure what the deal with McDavid is right now. But the good news is that Brown is tearing it up, Fox and Burakovsky contributing strongly as well. Strome/Curtis/Harper are all good forms of secondary scoring, I would expect each of them to put up around 40 points. You're right, bottom line is that we are winning, 4-2-1-0 is a damn good start. Could get even better, Friday @ Kitchener and Saturday home vs. Saginaw are both winnable games. Realistically I hope we take at least two of the four points from those games.

about your second post, about Donnay:

I'm not sure if the Rangers have any influence on that. While I think he is a bit better than last season, I would place Pelech, Raddysh, Abraham, and Dermott over him. Genovese I couldn't really say, haven't seen him play in person. Felker actually has looked pretty good these last few games, he's big and mobile, I'd like to hold on to him if possible. Right now he is a third pairing dman at best but I think he's making strides in the right direction. So I'm not sure what we should do. If we could get some kind of pick for Donnay and trade for Jesse Graham that would be awesome. I'd love to see something like: Pelech-Graham, Genovese-Abraham, Dermott-Raddysh.

Old
10-09-2013, 11:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
@mapleleaf regarding your first post:

Yeah I was at the game, Burakovsky's goal was an absolute snipe. Bad angle, somehow squeezed it in top right. I'm not sure what the deal with McDavid is right now. But the good news is that Brown is tearing it up, Fox and Burakovsky contributing strongly as well. Strome/Curtis/Harper are all good forms of secondary scoring, I would expect each of them to put up around 40 points. You're right, bottom line is that we are winning, 4-2-1-0 is a damn good start. Could get even better, Friday @ Kitchener and Saturday home vs. Saginaw are both winnable games. Realistically I hope we take at least two of the four points from those games.

about your second post, about Donnay:

I'm not sure if the Rangers have any influence on that. While I think he is a bit better than last season, I would place Pelech, Raddysh, Abraham, and Dermott over him. Genovese I couldn't really say, haven't seen him play in person. Felker actually has looked pretty good these last few games, he's big and mobile, I'd like to hold on to him if possible. Right now he is a third pairing dman at best but I think he's making strides in the right direction. So I'm not sure what we should do. If we could get some kind of pick for Donnay and trade for Jesse Graham that would be awesome. I'd love to see something like: Pelech-Graham, Genovese-Abraham, Dermott-Raddysh.
Ive been talking about Felker for months now, thinking he needs to shake off the rust and build confidence. Alot of trade talks surrounding him on these boards, Id bet teams have called about him. Felker with what happened last year, could make huge leaps in development this year, interesting to watch to see what happens. Good post as usual erieotternews, agreed Graham would be a big asset for this team.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Something I did notice while at the game Saturday was that the shot counts were wrong. There was a sequence where Dansk made a save, but let up a rebound. The Battalion then got 1 or 2 more shots from that rebound close in and Dansk made the saves, but only 1 shot was counted. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old
10-11-2013, 10:17 PM
mapleleaf979

Dansk was outstanding tonight. First career OHL shutout. He earned it. Calm and cool tonight.

In my eyes, its a no brainer, Fox needs to stay with MCdavid and Brown. Fox balances out that line in a good way, chipping in with under-rated skill but doing the dirty work for that line and offering components that the other 2 Connor's do not have in there game. I do not like Brown-Mcdavid-Burakovsky together. If it was an all star game sure go for it. The more I watch Fox, the more Im blown away he is un-drafted. He would need to probably gain a little more speed to play in the NHL but to me he is very well rounded player. A few plays tonight his back pressure was causing issues with Kitchener's break out, something that impressed me. He shows smarts with his positioning.

On one shift, during the 3rd period while Kitchener was trying to cycle the puck down low, Raddysh went into the corner on 4 separate occasions and played the body and created turnovers. One against Faska. Lets see if he can keep that up, u need these guys as much as puck movers

Pettit to me, has gained a step in his skating this year. Every shift I notice him, Id like to see Pettit play more but with the Addition of Curtis, he is pushed down the line a bit. I hope Erie does not move Pettit but If Im certain teams around the league, Im looking at Pettit's play and saying this kid is ready to break out and has under-rated skill. His defensive play helps also balance out a line if he is paired with 2 highly skilled wingers.

Erie is going to be handful to deal with in the Playoffs. Its still so early and they are just going to get better and better. We will see how Genovese meshes back with the team, but at who's expense? I wouldnt touch Raddy, Dermott or Felker. 3 Kids who upside is growing a little bit each game, U cant say the same about Donnay.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:00 AM
KnightSpit

So Right About FOX

Quote:
Dansk was outstanding tonight. First career OHL shutout. He earned it. Calm and cool tonight.

In my eyes, its a no brainer, Fox needs to stay with MCdavid and Brown. Fox balances out that line in a good way, chipping in with under-rated skill but doing the dirty work for that line and offering components that the other 2 Connor's do not have in there game. I do not like Brown-Mcdavid-Burakovsky together. If it was an all star game sure go for it. The more I watch Fox, the more Im blown away he is un-drafted. He would need to probably gain a little more speed to play in the NHL but to me he is very well rounded player. A few plays tonight his back pressure was causing issues with Kitchener's break out, something that impressed me. He shows smarts with his positioning.

On one shift, during the 3rd period while Kitchener was trying to cycle the puck down low, Raddysh went into the corner on 4 separate occasions and played the body and created turnovers. One against Faska. Lets see if he can keep that up, u need these guys as much as puck movers

Pettit to me, has gained a step in his skating this year. Every shift I notice him, Id like to see Pettit play more but with the Addition of Curtis, he is pushed down the line a bit. I hope Erie does not move Pettit but If Im certain teams around the league, Im looking at Pettit's play and saying this kid is ready to break out and has under-rated skill. His defensive play helps also balance out a line if he is paired with 2 highly skilled wingers.

Erie is going to be handful to deal with in the Playoffs. Its still so early and they are just going to get better and better. We will see how Genovese meshes back with the team, but at who's expense? I wouldnt touch Raddy, Dermott or Felker. 3 Kids who upside is growing a little bit each game, U cant say the same about Donnay.
MapleLeaf: No kidding FOX is a Hockey Stud and you are so right about having him on the first line. I suggested the same thing 2 weeks ago. With Fox on that # 1 line, McDavid and Brown will break OHL records. For the PP you can put FOX on the 2nd PP Unit, but 5 on 5, on the first line. Dansk is the real deal, Still think Erie is going to trade a couple of forwards for a Top Two D. They get that Top 2 D and you might just be talking Memorial Cup, cause London will have their hands full. With all the forwards they have who are decent, they can make that trade and not suffer. They still have Maksimvich, Murphy and Wood, who could all play on any OHL 3rd line and they were all healthy scratches last night. Hey how did Wigle look last night ?

Old
10-12-2013, 10:10 AM
KnightSpit

Going To Erie Next Weekend ??

OtterNews and Brampton Fan, or anyone else for that matter.

Hope to make the trip to Erie next weekend with about 5 friends and will try to catch 2 games on Friday and Saturday.

Hotels: What do you recommend ?

Bar: Where is the action pre and post game, with the women as well, especially post game ?

Tickets: What are the prices like, can you get good seats at the door now ?

Beer Prices: I heard a Bud is only $3.75, is that FN True. If so every other OHL arena is a rip off big time.

Forwards: Wonder if you guys read what that some Erie Sports writer said about your Forward log jam. Good article. I still think you need to trade 2 forwards for a top 2 D. As for who you keep I like both Maksimovich and Murphy, over Wood ,they have one thing you cannot teach or develop and that is SIZE.
Also Wood with what 3 full years in the O, must've plateaued by now. With Murphy and Maksimovich, there is nothing but upside, especially with that Murphy kid, that writer seems really impressed, only been a forward for what 7 games, so what will the kid have done after 50 games. Tough decision, but hey any club would love to have those options, with so much depth at forward. OtterNews you seem to have a pulse on this team being in Erie, so what is your gut feeling and thanks for all the advice.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:25 AM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
OtterNews and Brampton Fan, or anyone else for that matter.

Hope to make the trip to Erie next weekend with about 5 friends and will try to catch 2 games on Friday and Saturday.

Hotels: What do you recommend ?

Bar: Where is the action pre and post game, with the women as well, especially post game ?

Tickets: What are the prices like, can you get good seats at the door now ?

Beer Prices: I heard a Bud is only $3.75, is that FN True. If so every other OHL arena is a rip off big time.

Forwards: Wonder if you guys read what that some Erie Sports writer said about your Forward log jam. Good article. I still think you need to trade 2 forwards for a top 2 D. As for who you keep I like both Maksimovich and Murphy, over Wood ,they have one thing you cannot teach or develop and that is SIZE.
Also Wood with what 3 full years in the O, must've plateaued by now. With Murphy and Maksimovich, there is nothing but upside, especially with that Murphy kid, that writer seems really impressed, only been a forward for what 7 games, so what will the kid have done after 50 games. Tough decision, but hey any club would love to have those options, with so much depth at forward. OtterNews you seem to have a pulse on this team being in Erie, so what is your gut feeling and thanks for all the advice.
Good weekend to come to Erie for games. With the week off after the Missy game on monday team should be rested and Belleville/Ottawa are teams they should beat.

For hotels, there isn't much around the arena. There is the avalon but its pricey. You're better off staying somewhere up near I-90, specifically off the "state-street" exit. The red roof in is the place to go if you stay up by that exit. A bit more expensive than the "tallyho" next to it, I think its like 90 a night, but I've heard it's way better. Here's the googlemaps on that: https://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&d...d5b0a,Erie,+PA

Also staying up off the peach street is always an option. Take your pick there, probably four or five hotels up there.

Pre-game, best places to go would probably be the Arena Bar and Grill (formerly Skeeters) on 7th and French, right next to the arena. The Plymouth (10th and state) is also good, they have fantastic wings there. After, The Plymouth is a good spot as well. We have a few clubs as well if you're looking for women.

Haven't bought beer from the arena, not 21 sadly. Can't tell you what the prices are, though the concession prices as a whole have gone up a bit. Not ridiculious but they are pricey.

As for the forward situation, I want to keep Murphy and Maksimovich. Rotate those guys in on the third/fourth line, and trade Wood. Maksimovich is going to be a good bottom 6 forward, same with Murphy. I just don't see it in Wood. Not enough size to be a defenseman but not enough skill to crack to the top 6. Wigle looked decent last night, though I think he should go down to the fourth. I'd like to see Strome on the second with Curtis/Burakovsky, and Harper-Pettit-Hodgson as the third. Wigle/Maksimovich-Evans-Betz/Murphy as the fourth. I would hope this helps Strome/Curtis score more and should help Pettit crack the scoring sheet as well. He's a very good player, don't like that he's buried on the fourth line, though i understand it, with the depth this team has. Strome has looked good at center.

Agree with you guys 100% Fox should stay on that first line, I'm convinced now. Fox-McDavid-Brown just share the puck so well, Fox provides that grit we needed. Burakovsky on the second balances it out well. Like I said I'd like to try Strome on that left wing instead of Harper to see what he could do offensively for that line.

I really don't want to trade Pettit, though I can see why he's a good target for that. I think we are a top 2 dman away from fighting Guelph for the 3 seed. As for Genovese coming back into the lineup, I hope he bumps Donnay out. Pelech-Raddysh has been solid, same with Felker-Abraham. Dermott is playing well too, and I think he can move to his off-side. Those three young guys are playing great, they are mobile and move the puck well.

Looking forward to tonights game against Saginaw. Likely we see Williams in net, hopefully he plays better than the last time he was in net, and I hope the team isn't too tired. Would hate to see this winning streak end at home.

Last edited by ErieOttersNews: 10-12-2013 at 11:08 AM. Reason: added a few thoughts
Old
10-12-2013, 12:26 PM
KnightSpit

Erie vs. Belleville and Ottawa Friday and Satruday

Quote:
Good weekend to come to Erie for games. With the week off after the Missy game on monday team should be rested and Belleville/Ottawa are teams they should beat.

For hotels, there isn't much around the arena. There is the avalon but its pricey. You're better off staying somewhere up near I-90, specifically off the "state-street" exit. The red roof in is the place to go if you stay up by that exit. A bit more expensive than the "tallyho" next to it, I think its like 90 a night, but I've heard it's way better. Here's the googlemaps on that: https://maps.google.com/maps?gl=us&d...d5b0a,Erie,+PA

Also staying up off the peach street is always an option. Take your pick there, probably four or five hotels up there.

Pre-game, best places to go would probably be the Arena Bar and Grill (formerly Skeeters) on 7th and French, right next to the arena. The Plymouth (10th and state) is also good, they have fantastic wings there. After, The Plymouth is a good spot as well. We have a few clubs as well if you're looking for women.

Haven't bought beer from the arena, not 21 sadly. Can't tell you what the prices are, though the concession prices as a whole have gone up a bit. Not ridiculious but they are pricey.

As for the forward situation, I want to keep Murphy and Maksimovich. Rotate those guys in on the third/fourth line, and trade Wood. Maksimovich is going to be a good bottom 6 forward, same with Murphy. I just don't see it in Wood. Not enough size to be a defenseman but not enough skill to crack to the top 6. Wigle looked decent last night, though I think he should go down to the fourth. I'd like to see Strome on the second with Curtis/Burakovsky, and Harper-Pettit-Hodgson as the third. Wigle/Maksimovich-Evans-Betz/Murphy as the fourth. I would hope this helps Strome/Curtis score more and should help Pettit crack the scoring sheet as well. He's a very good player, don't like that he's buried on the fourth line, though i understand it, with the depth this team has. Strome has looked good at center.

Agree with you guys 100% Fox should stay on that first line, I'm convinced now. Fox-McDavid-Brown just share the puck so well, Fox provides that grit we needed. Burakovsky on the second balances it out well. Like I said I'd like to try Strome on that left wing instead of Harper to see what he could do offensively for that line.

I really don't want to trade Pettit, though I can see why he's a good target for that. I think we are a top 2 dman away from fighting Guelph for the 3 seed. As for Genovese coming back into the lineup, I hope he bumps Donnay out. Pelech-Raddysh has been solid, same with Felker-Abraham. Dermott is playing well too, and I think he can move to his off-side. Those three young guys are playing great, they are mobile and move the puck well.

Looking forward to tonights game against Saginaw. Likely we see Williams in net, hopefully he plays better than the last time he was in net, and I hope the team isn't too tired. Would hate to see this winning streak end at home.
OtterNews: Thanks for the stellar reporting and advice, hell you should be hired by the Erie PA Tourism Commission or whatever. Will look into all you said for sure and I think what you said about Murphy and Maksimovich, makes total sense, rotate in and out and if one of the forwards gets injured or suspended, which you know will happen at some point and time, then you have two reliable big guy's to step in. The Otters should try and package Wood with another forward, that might land Graham. What do you think it would take, name a deal to get Graham or another top 2 D ? Also, I am not changing my user ID from KNIGHTSPIT, but I am officially on this Otter's band wagon. What an FN exciting team you have. Always liked London (always winning and Windsor always buying a winner) but it is exciting to watch Erie go from what was almost a laughing stock and one of the worst teams in OHL history, to where you guys are now ! Hope with the team and new arena you pack them in, Me and my 4 friends will add to that total next weekend !

Actually it would be good for the entire league and OHL for the long term, if Erie won it all and yeah I am talking Memorial Cup. Aren't you guys gonna host that soon?

Old
10-12-2013, 12:33 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:

Curtis looks like a very average skater. Something that If Im coach I bump Strome and or Pettit up the depth chart in the forward group in the next 10-20 games. Strome impressed me last night with his defensive zone play, he was not out to lunch, he knew he had to cover the front of the net with both defenseman working the cycle, it was in his head to do this. I watched and he tracked his man until the dmen were back in position on either side of the posts. On potential 3 on 2's he knows he has to be the first forward back and kicks it in gear to balance out the odd man rush. I think right now Strome is struggling a little bit with the lack of time and space compared to minor hockey, he will get use to this and start to use his playmaking skills. Curtis is maxed out, Strome and Pettit are growing each game.

I think of all things, Erie doesnt need a puck rusher as much as I thought. They need a defensive guy, maybe thats Genovese? Otherwise a defensive defenseman will be something that exposes itself in playoff hockey.

Old
10-12-2013, 01:23 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
OtterNews: Thanks for the stellar reporting and advice, hell you should be hired by the Erie PA Tourism Commission or whatever. Will look into all you said for sure and I think what you said about Murphy and Maksimovich, makes total sense, rotate in and out and if one of the forwards gets injured or suspended, which you know will happen at some point and time, then you have two reliable big guy's to step in. The Otters should try and package Wood with another forward, that might land Graham. What do you think it would take, name a deal to get Graham or another top 2 D ? Also, I am not changing my user ID from KNIGHTSPIT, but I am officially on this Otter's band wagon. What an FN exciting team you have. Always liked London (always winning and Windsor always buying a winner) but it is exciting to watch Erie go from what was almost a laughing stock and one of the worst teams in OHL history, to where you guys are now ! Hope with the team and new arena you pack them in, Me and my 4 friends will add to that total next weekend !

Actually it would be good for the entire league and OHL for the long term, if Erie won it all and yeah I am talking Memorial Cup. Aren't you guys gonna host that soon?
Thanks, just trying to help as best as I can. About ticket prices: I don't recomend buying them online. They charge this B.S. online fee and it gets expensive. Your best bet would be to buy your friday tickets at the gate, then while you are doing that pre-purchase your saturday tickets. Tickets are a few bucks cheaper when you pre-buy them. My favorite sections are: 206, 210, 212, and 217. These are in the "reserved section" and are a bit cheaper (as opposed to the "premium sections", which are blue in that seat map), but you still have a good view of the whole ice and you are on the end where the otters shoot twice. You can see a seat map here: http://purchase.tickets.com/buy/TicketPurchase

Erie's a pretty nice city, on the recovery right now. Downtown is nice, and if you're looking for something to do on Saturday we have a huge mall, only about 10-15 minutes from the arena.

I think Graham takes probably a second and two third's plus one of our extra forwards. Prices are going to be high this season with the OHL hosting the memorial cup. I'm not quite sure if Erie is Memorial Cup good this season. They certainly look impressive thus far, but I think the gap between us and London is too big for us to beat them in a 7 game series, or even Kingston. But that's okay, this looks to be a good season either way, something this team and this city needed.

Old
10-12-2013, 01:28 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Curtis looks like a very average skater. Something that If Im coach I bump Strome and or Pettit up the depth chart in the forward group in the next 10-20 games. Strome impressed me last night with his defensive zone play, he was not out to lunch, he knew he had to cover the front of the net with both defenseman working the cycle, it was in his head to do this. I watched and he tracked his man until the dmen were back in position on either side of the posts. On potential 3 on 2's he knows he has to be the first forward back and kicks it in gear to balance out the odd man rush. I think right now Strome is struggling a little bit with the lack of time and space compared to minor hockey, he will get use to this and start to use his playmaking skills. Curtis is maxed out, Strome and Pettit are growing each game.

I think of all things, Erie doesnt need a puck rusher as much as I thought. They need a defensive guy, maybe thats Genovese? Otherwise a defensive defenseman will be something that exposes itself in playoff hockey.
I like Curtis thus far myself, brings leadership and he is good defensively. We aren't asking him to score huge points. If he chips in 35 points, along with that leadership and defensive play, it's a solid pickup. I do like Strome a lot thus far, playing well. Maybe we even consider a Harper-Strome-Burakovsky line, Harper with the grit and Burakovsky's speed would help space things out for Strome a bit. Lots of combinations possible behind the top unit.

As for another dman, I think we need to make an upgrade over Donnay at some point. Maybe not a rushing d-man, but a good solid shutdown guy who can also move the puck well. Won't be easy to acquire but that's our biggest need I think. Still totally unsure about Genovese. Have yet to see him play live because of that suspension, though it seemed like the Genovese-Abraham pair were working well together, his plus/minus number is skewed b/c of that bad game in Windsor.

Old
10-12-2013, 01:56 PM
mapleleaf979

Good points, the only thing about Harper on the 2nd line is, Harper's hockey sense is very questionable in my opinion, putting him into positions he should not be in.

Burakovsky is a shoot first player no doubt. Brown Id lean to being more of a shooter as well. So to me that doesnt work so well. Ive touched on why Fox is so valuble to those 2 guys. Brown-Mcdavid work so well together, they keep teams guessing. A great mix of unpredictability with those 2, they makes plays until one decides they are in a good scoring position then that guy shoots, usually Brown. Strome is a pass first player too, if he progresses like he should, Burakovsky would be excellent with him. Strome still has not shown his elite playmaking skill, its there though. I like Hodgson puck hunger and skating ability. Seems to be a nice player with Strome. If they find that right mix, this team is going to be hell to deal with. I wonder what this team will do, Dermott, Raddysh and Felker keep getting better and better. I really like Hodgson and Pettit puck pressure. They force teams to hurry.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:03 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Good points, the only thing about Harper on the 2nd line is, Harper's hockey sense is very questionable in my opinion, putting him into positions he should not be in.

Burakovsky is a shoot first player no doubt. Brown Id lean to being more of a shooter as well. So to me that doesnt work so well. Ive touched on why Fox is so valuble to those 2 guys. Brown-Mcdavid work so well together, they keep teams guessing. A great mix of unpredictability with those 2, they makes plays until one decides they are in a good scoring position then that guy shoots, usually Brown. Strome is a pass first player too, if he progresses like he should, Burakovsky would be excellent with him. Strome still has not shown his elite playmaking skill, its there though. I like Hodgson puck hunger and skating ability. Seems to be a nice player with Strome. If they find that right mix, this team is going to be hell to deal with. I wonder what this team will do, Dermott, Raddysh and Felker keep getting better and better. I imagine one of those 3 would be involved in a deal if Erie chooses that route.
Harper doesn't have the best hockey sense, but he has the physical tools that I think would make a Harper-Strome-Burakovsky line work. Like the first line, a gritty player, a gifted playmaker, and a sniper. Could always try Hodgson on that line as well, he plays hard. Strome will come around for sure. Agree, if we can find those line combos behind Fox-McDavid-Brown we will be a tough team. Not only have our defenders improved, but we are playing team defense. Backchecking is better, more commitment to the defensive game. And our aggressive forecheck usually keeps the puck out of the opponents hands, and in ours more.

As for a deal, I think Felker is the most likely to be dealt of the three. Dermott is untouchable, he's a second or third pairing d-man right now, and he's not eligible until 2015. Could see Raddysh being dealt, but man does he look good on that top pairing with Pelech lately.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:12 PM
mapleleaf979

Dermott is smart and confident. He circled around his own net in tight to shake the pressure from a forward during the PP last night. A bold move for the rookie, it presented no danger to anyone though. Right there it showed alot of poise and confidence. Id like to see Dermott run the PP, smart accurate passes. Seems to lure the high forward to him and then dish it, nice timing to open up lanes for the guys on the half wall. With opportunity he will give this team more than they expected in my opinion.

Harper can be gritty but Im not 100% sure he would want to take that role for himself. He has some skill and may not want to put that to the back burner to be a gritty guy first and foremost.

Old
10-12-2013, 03:05 PM
ErieOttersNews
Connor Come Back

Quote:
Dermott is smart and confident. He circled around his own net in tight to shake the pressure from a forward during the PP last night. A bold move for the rookie, it presented no danger to anyone though. Right there it showed alot of poise and confidence. Id like to see Dermott run the PP, smart accurate passes. Seems to lure the high forward to him and then dish it, nice timing to open up lanes for the guys on the half wall. With opportunity he will give this team more than they expected in my opinion.

Harper can be gritty but Im not 100% sure he would want to take that role for himself. He has some skill and may not want to put that to the back burner to be a gritty guy first and foremost.
Dermott is great. Smart, confident with the puck, he continues to add strength I think he will be a top 2 dman next season. What a find in the 9th round.

As for Harper, I'd call him a power forward. Not so much gritty, like Fox, but he's a strong kid. IMO our 2nd-3rd line forwards should be: Harper, Strome, Curtis, Burakovsky, Pettit, and Hodgson, some mix of those six guys. Find a good mix in there and like we've said we will be a dangerous team.

Closed Thread