HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Winnipeg Penguins?

Closed Thread

Old
01-09-2004, 02:45 PM
go_habs_go

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to go_habs_go
Winnipeg Penguins?

I just saw on Sportsnet on TV that the Pittsburgh Penguins have politely declined the offer to bring the team back to Winnipeg!!! *cries*

Old
01-09-2004, 02:53 PM
AEKaki

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go
I just saw on Sportsnet on TV that the Pittsburgh Penguins have politely declined the offer to bring the team back to Winnipeg!!! *cries*

What you mean is Thank god, because this team would do 100 times worst in Winnipeg. Pittsburgh only needs a new arena with luxury boxes and they will be in very good shape.
Jets had problems back in the days...

Old
01-09-2004, 03:40 PM
Le Golie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. kōUkLōs
What you mean is Thank god, because this team would do 100 times worst in Winnipeg. Pittsburgh only needs a new arena with luxury boxes and they will be in very good shape.
Jets had problems back in the days...
And those problems were because of a bad arena with no luxery boxes. Winnipeg has solved that problem.

Old
01-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Fayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Cherry
And those problems were because of a bad arena with no luxery boxes. Winnipeg has solved that problem.
Yes, but its still a couple thousand seats short of what they would need to sustain an NHL team.

Old
01-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Winnipeg is a hockey crazy town, which a good new building, and the fan support to get a hockey team. Winnipeg would be a very good investment for the NHL and the Penguins. This isn't the end of Winnipeg's quest for a hockey team.

The conflict of an arena should be solved by this...

Quote:
Newsflash...weíve got one in 12 months! Itís done. With the statement made by Mark Chipman, owner of the Manitoba Moose, that he would welcome and even join an NHL ownership group in the MTS Centre there seems no better time to get rolling than now. The questions of size restrictions in the new building needs to be put to rest. The myth that arenas need to be 18,000-20,000 seats now-a-days is best proven in a majority of buildings across the league that remain 1/3 empty on most evenings. Not only are tickets too expensive to fill them, they are too big and unrealistic to fill. What better mentality than to have it be actually difficult to get a ticket to a Jets game! Create that excitement and desire to want to get to the box office early to be part of the noise and intimacy the MTS Centre will provide. It doesnít need a million square feet of office space and room for an amusement park! We are Winnipeggers. We buy hockey free of gimmicks and the last time I checked it wonít be too hard to walk across one of the 3 sky-walks to an adjacent office building or use the phone to call over to the rink. Another myth is ticket prices. I am constantly thrown figures like $117 average tickets. Thatís absurd. There isnít a team in the league that fetches that. There is surely a $117 ticket you can buy but there arenít many cities where you canít get a $30 ticket somewhere in the arena. And in a new NHL that too will decrease.
Some good points in there, and the new MTS Center has the luxury boxes of which were spoke, and is certainly better than Pittsburgh's current arena.

~Canucklehead~

01-10-2004, 08:57 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Winnipeg is a hockey crazy town, which a good new building, and the fan support to get a hockey team. Winnipeg would be a very good investment for the NHL and the Penguins. This isn't the end of Winnipeg's quest for a hockey team.

The conflict of an arena should be solved by this...

Some good points in there, and the new MTS Center has the luxury boxes of which were spoke, and is certainly better than Pittsburgh's current arena.

~Canucklehead~
That author did not seem very good. Instead of giving out facts (average ticket prices, attendance) he just seemed to be speculating, and he ignored issues like corparate support. He made a good point about how a smaller arena will artificially increase demand (it worked for the Als). However, the key issue is ownership. If an ownership group wants a team in Winnepeg, it'll happen. There's plenty of teams for sale.

Old
01-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

It was written by a fan heading a petition to bring the Jets back to Winnipeg, you can see it and more at www.jetsowner.com, and I agree that all they need is a willing owner and they can do it. However they'd also need the owners of the teams currently for sale to agree to move the team to Winnipeg(a la Mario and Pittsburgh).

Corporate support right now shouldn't be a problem for Winnipeg. As the article stated, the biggest problem with the Jets of the past(and the Penguins of now) was the lack of a real building to play in, and the new building will be all that. The city loves hockey, they have the new building, all they need are for all the sides to connect. I think it's pretty clear that Winnipeg is capable of supporting a hockey team.

~Canucklehead~

Old
01-10-2004, 11:00 PM
The Rage

Quote:
It was written by a fan heading a petition to bring the Jets back to Winnipeg, you can see it and more at www.jetsowner.com, and I agree that all they need is a willing owner and they can do it. However they'd also need the owners of the teams currently for sale to agree to move the team to Winnipeg(a la Mario and Pittsburgh).

Corporate support right now shouldn't be a problem for Winnipeg. As the article stated, the biggest problem with the Jets of the past(and the Penguins of now) was the lack of a real building to play in, and the new building will be all that. The city loves hockey, they have the new building, all they need are for all the sides to connect. I think it's pretty clear that Winnipeg is capable of supporting a hockey team.

~Canucklehead~
I still don't understand why they didn't build the thing with 2000-3000 more seats. It would have greatly improved their chances, and doesn't seem like a huge extra task. Regardless of the rhetoric on these boards (true or not), the league probably won't accept a 15,000 seat arena.

Old
01-11-2004, 04:47 AM
Robert Paulson*

Quote:
and the new MTS Center has the luxury boxes of which were spoke, and is certainly better than Pittsburgh's current arena.
Almost any arena with 15000+ seats anywhere in North America is better than the Mellon Arena. That's why we're trying to get one built, see? I bet the Pens new arena (WHEN it gets built of course) is going to be much better than the MTS Center.

Old
01-11-2004, 10:18 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
Almost any arena with 15000+ seats anywhere in North America is better than the Mellon Arena. That's why we're trying to get one built, see? I bet the Pens new arena (WHEN it gets built of course) is going to be much better than the MTS Center.
That may well be, but isn't the current trouble Mario is having is getting that arena built? The Penguins don't have the government's support, and that's costing them big-time.

~Canucklehead~

Old
01-11-2004, 10:25 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
Oh no doubt about it...it`ll be much better.

Since there are a great many teams in the league that are lucky to sell 10000 tickets a game filling up a 15000 seat arena is a step in the right direction. But of course if the Pens ever did move it certainly wouldn`t be to a city that`s "hockey crazy" there are plenty more venues down south just waiting for another hockey team for knowbody to watch.

Old
01-11-2004, 11:09 AM
Jacob

Quote:
That may well be, but isn't the current trouble Mario is having is getting that arena built? The Penguins don't have the government's support, and that's costing them big-time.

~Canucklehead~
Nothing is certain, obviously, but it appears to be on the right track.

Old
01-11-2004, 12:23 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Oh no doubt about it...it`ll be much better.

Since there are a great many teams in the league that are lucky to sell 10000 tickets a game filling up a 15000 seat arena is a step in the right direction. But of course if the Pens ever did move it certainly wouldn`t be to a city that`s "hockey crazy" there are plenty more venues down south just waiting for another hockey team for knowbody to watch.
Yet amazingly markets like Columbus and Nashville often outdraw the Canadian markets.

I'm sick of that generalization.

Old
01-11-2004, 12:44 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

But then you get markets like Phoenix, Chicago, and so on and so forth...that generalization can be true.

~Canucklehead~

Old
01-11-2004, 12:55 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_habs_go
Ah yes....what a shame.....

Why is the thread called 'Winnepeg Penguins' if it's about the Pens declining the offer? That means no Winnepeg Penguins....I think Jets fans are going to just have to move on.....

Old
01-11-2004, 01:02 PM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin
Yet amazingly markets like Columbus and Nashville often outdraw the Canadian markets.

And from the other 6 threads on Winnipeg getting a franchise back we can tell that they can fill an NHL building with an average ticket price of $28.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:07 PM
DJ Spinoza

Maybe the Penguins can use a little of the money given to them from the slots bill that will pass to buy a lot of old Jets tapes, convert them into DVDs, and send them to the deputy mayor as an apology gift.

Sorry, but there are plenty of people who care about hockey in Pittsburgh. A new arena is looking better and better each day, and I don't think a few years of rebuilding after 11 straight playoff years justifies moving a team.

And I also hate the generalization about Southern teams. There's no law that says that if you live in warm weather, you are not allowed to enjoy the sport of hockey.

Old
01-11-2004, 01:11 PM
jacketracket*

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompenguin

I'm never afraid to jump into a conversation cold....

As a point of reference, the CBJ are once again filling Nationwide at 95% + of capacity, w/a team destined to finish 15th in the West for the third year in a row.

I'm not sure how CBJ attendance can be compared to that of Nashville

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled argument.

Old
01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
The Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

And I also hate the generalization about Southern teams. There's no law that says that if you live in warm weather, you are not allowed to enjoy the sport of hockey.
Hockey just does not matter in the Southern states. There are 10 sports that are ahead of it. In Canada, hockey is religion. It's woven into our culture. It's the one thing that binds such a diverse country. Economically, Canada doesn't deserve hockey more than Southern Anerica, as our country does not have the same financial resources. But from an emotional and philosophical point of view, hockey belongs in places like Winnipeg and Quebec city far more than it does in Phoenix and Nashville.

Last edited by The Rage: 01-13-2004 at 05:51 AM.
Old
01-17-2004, 01:55 AM
Jets4Life

Dream still alive

Mystery NHL team puts out feelers to Winnipeg

By ROSS ROMANIUK, CITY HALL REPORTER

The dream of bringing the National Hockey League back to Winnipeg isn't dead yet. A National Hockey League franchise has contacted city hall to inquire about possibly relocating to Winnipeg, The Sun has learned.

Deputy mayor Dan Vandal received a phone call last week from a representative of a United States-based NHL club, who wanted further information about the possibility of Winnipeg regaining a major-league team.

The inquiry did not come from the Pittsburgh Penguins, a franchise Vandal had courted during the past few weeks. However, the St. Boniface councillor refused to reveal which team contacted his Main Street office and left the voice-mail message while he was on vacation in Costa Rica.

"They're asking, 'How serious is Winnipeg? Because we're in trouble,' " Vandal said yesterday.

Vandal has since returned the team official's call but hasn't been able to reach him. Until he does, he won't identify the club.

He confirmed "it's a team that's not doing really well" financially.

Vandal said he plans to discuss the matter with fellow members of Mayor Glen Murray's executive committee.

"Why would we give up?" he asked of The 'Peg's hopes to put an NHL team into MTS Centre, seven years after the Jets left for Phoenix in 1996.

"There's no risk to us at this point. It's all about keeping the right position to catch a fly ball. Anyone who says we can't do that is short-sighted."

A lockout by NHL owners or strike by the players is widely expected before the start of next season, when the owners' agreement with the NHL Players' Association expires. Owners are expected to be willing to sacrifice up to an entire season to bring salaries under control.

Jim Ludlow, president of True North Entertainment, which operates Winnipeg's coming arena, said it's far too early to predict the city's NHL prospects.

Edmonton Oilers Governor Cal Nichols said he would welcome Winnipeg back into the NHL.

In Edmonton, a group of about three dozen small and medium-sized business people all own a share of the hockey team. Nichols said that formula would work well in Winnipeg.

"Hockey is Canada, Canada is hockey, and I think the game really does have legs here. Under the right economic circumstances, it can be viable," he said.

Former Winnipeg Jets general manager John Ferguson said he isn't surprised an NHL team would consider a return to the city.

"It would be an ideal situation to come back to Winnipeg," said Ferguson via telephone from Windsor. "There's a new arena being built, and the fan base is there. Winnipeg has probably the most knowledgeable hockey fans in the world.

ONLY GAME IN TOWN

"If some common sense comes out of the next collective bargaining agreement I don't see why Winnipeg shouldn't have a team. Hockey is the only game in town during the winter there -- you don't watch NASCAR and you're not that interested in basketball."

ABC sports hockey analyst John Davidson said Winnipeg deserves another NHL team.

"Salaries are going to come down. I'm hearing the players have already offered a 5% give-back, so that's the starting point for negotiations," Davidson said, adding owners will also push hard to curb the entry-level salaries of NHL rookies.

----

I would put my money on the Carolina Hurricanes being the team in question.

Old
01-17-2004, 03:57 AM
Oilers Hockey

Oooh thats a great article. Isn't Carolina NASCAR crazy?

Anyways, to the poster who said Columbus and Nashville have higher attendance than Canada, thats a load of crap. Vancouver has sold out for quite awhile now, Edmonton consistently sells out, Calgary even has great attendnace averaging in the 17,000 area after 7 years of no playoff, Toronto sell outs all the time, Montreal still draws over 20,000, and the only Canadian team that can even be considered having attendance issues is Ottawa, who still sell out often and when they don't they still draw over 16,000 fans.

No offense to BJ or Preds fans though. But your attendance isn't better than Canada's teams.

Old
01-17-2004, 06:54 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacketracket
I'm never afraid to jump into a conversation cold....

As a point of reference, the CBJ are once again filling Nationwide at 95% + of capacity, w/a team destined to finish 15th in the West for the third year in a row.

I'm not sure how CBJ attendance can be compared to that of Nashville

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled argument.
I was complimenting both franchises, no disrespect to the Jackets as I know they're doing better than the Predators.

Just stating that since both teams are drawing either fairly well or amazingly well and no one thought that these teams would be able to draw fans at all in the NHL.

Closed Thread