HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

What's Going On? Part 4

Old
10-07-2013, 10:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
The post game show on CHED is now unlistenable.
I dunno who the guy is replacing Tencer, but he's terrible.
Feel sorry for Rob Brown.
I wouldn't feel too sorry for Rob Brown...he is terrible as well.

For a former NHL player he makes more stupid comments than I ever thought possible.

Rob Brown shouldn't be on the radio.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:02 AM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I look out the window to see if it's raining or not.
what about if wanna know what the weather will be like the next day?

The Last Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Conkanen*

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I look out the window to see if it's raining or not.
And right on cue.

Conkanen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:27 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
Guess

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:37 AM
Lacaar

Quote:
Look further!

Lacaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:40 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Use binoculars?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:50 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
The post game show on CHED is now unlistenable.
I dunno who the guy is replacing Tencer, but he's terrible.
Feel sorry for Rob Brown.

Is it the same squidge that replaces Stauffer once in a while on Oilers Now? Reid Wilkins? The 2 guys that make me shut off oilers now are Dellow and Wilkins. Time to make some programming changes. Please

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 11:53 AM
KlimasLoveChild

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

For a former NHL player he makes more stupid comments than I ever thought possible.

I agree he should be on TV more. That skullet is killer

KlimasLoveChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
Billybaroo*

Quote:
Isn't it obvious. If its raining today its going to be raining tomorrow.
Isn't that the way it is?

Billybaroo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Philly85
Moody'

630 is all around awful.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2013, 02:22 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Spot on. Good example would be Toews in last year's playoffs. To the stat obsessing fantasy crowd, he had a disappointing playoff run. To Joel Quenneville, he did everything that was asked of him.
The advanced stats people actually were huge fans of Toews' playoff run, because his quality of competition was extremely high and yet he still put up positive Corsi numbers, which was ridiculous.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Kyle McMahon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
The advanced stats people actually were huge fans of Toews' playoff run, because his quality of competition was extremely high and yet he still put up positive Corsi numbers, which was ridiculous.
Sure their numbers matched up with reality in this example, but what about all that time we spent hearing about how great Shawn Horcoff was because of Corsi numbers? If you can only trust a stat some of the time, it's not really very useful.

Kyle McMahon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:51 AM
joestevens29

Was a breathe of fresh air not hearing McCown on the radio when driving around last night.

Old
10-09-2013, 10:54 AM
trent_vinyl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousBusiness View Post
I never listen to Spec on the radio, or the radio in general, but do follow him on Twitter, and he seems to be a lot pissier lately than usual. Not sure if that shows up on air, but if so, I certainly wouldn't want to listen to that.
I've always been a big fan of Spector and thought his segment on Gregor's show was the best thing about Gregor's show.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:19 PM
joestevens29

Never realized Tencer writes for the Cult of Hockey now on the EJ.

Old
10-09-2013, 05:26 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
I've always been a big fan of Spector and thought his segment on Gregor's show was the best thing about Gregor's show.
WHATTT? I'm not sure why, but I Have to ask, why are you a fan of Spector? He's literally the worst by a long shot analyst/broadcaster out there. Yes I think he's worst than Tencer.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:35 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers83 View Post
There's a huge difference in watching someone perform in a certain situation, ie making a bad play but not determining who you play with or against which is a huge variable that can't be computed, Which have a major factor in what a players "stats" have to say about there game.

It is very unfair and look back at the situation that there coach, inevitably, put them and the "mathematically" decide if they succeeded or not. We have no clue of what there coach told them before the shift, ie "dump it every time and go lay a lick on someone"

The mathematical analysis of an almost strategical and emotional game has confused for a while.
I'm not saying that stats are the be all and end all. But they are 100% necessary and the best teams in the league use them more than the others. I remember Elliott Friedman naming off teams that had analytics staff 2 or 3 years ago-- it was something like SJ, LA, Pittsburgh, Detroit, Buffalo, Phoenix and Vancouver. I might be missing one or two but that was the gist. Almost all of those teams were good or great teams.

To dismiss it as not being beneficial is 100% stupid. To ONLY rely on it? You become like the Copper and Blue crew and hate life because every single team in the league make multiple "stupid" statistically unjustifiable moves every year.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:40 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle McMahon View Post
Sure their numbers matched up with reality in this example, but what about all that time we spent hearing about how great Shawn Horcoff was because of Corsi numbers? If you can only trust a stat some of the time, it's not really very useful.
Horcoff was a useful player. He just wasn't 5 million dollars of useful.

That's where people got confused. Believe it or not, most hockey fans aren't intelligent, critical thinkers. Most people on earth aren't.

If Horcoff saw more chances and shots for than against, I don't see how a person can say that he wasn't useful. That's not even a stat, just an observation.

Hemsky too-- he's never been a useless player. His past 2 seasons have been steps down, but he was no longer the "go to," was older, and had a long history of injuries. It made sense. But he was never as bad as dicks like Spector said he was. He just has an effortless-looking style that makes it look like he isn't trying. That hasn't changed and if you watch him this year, he still doesn't look like he's trying that hard, but he's getting more results, so people shut up.

Old
10-10-2013, 04:47 AM
Horseradish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
WHATTT? I'm not sure why, but I Have to ask, why are you a fan of Spector? He's literally the worst by a long shot analyst/broadcaster out there. Yes I think he's worst than Tencer.
No question.

Tencer actually BECAME quite good. That doesn't surprise me. He was hired as a young 20-something in a radio role that required that he be a "voice of reason". How many young 20-somethings would you rely on to be a voice of reason for anything? How about 30 year olds? Huge difference. Tencer grew nicely into the role.

Spector, on the other hand, tempered his otherwise ****** personality to be on the radio. And it was still unbearable. He's the crustiest, most opinionated, unknowledgeable person with a job in the biz. Even worse than others I can't stand like Cam Cole, Jim Matheson, Terry "wut haz u done wif donuts, coach!?" Jones, Simmons, Duhatschek, Garrioch, Brooks, etc....old school-types who seem to think they know the game better than everybody else and get angry when they're wrong.

Old
10-10-2013, 08:15 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post

Eh? I didn't see this comment earlier. Brown has a pretty good eye for the game I think. I always enjoyed his comments on the post game show (which I now no longer listen to because it is so boring). Why do you say he shouldn't be on the radio? Does he make more stupid comments than say Hrudey or Strudwick?

I also thought Tencer was pretty good though, so what do I know. I mean I can see why some people wouldn't like Tencer, but why Brown? Either way that show is a disaster since Tencer left. I don't think anyone could dispute that.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Philly85
Moody'

They're both douches ones just older than the other, Tencer is not good and is well on his way to Spector levels of douchiness. That being said Spector is still better, no matter how big of an ass he can be. Yeah he exaggerates from time to time and can troll a bit but he calls it like he sees it and isn't afraid to call out/bash teams and players when it's necessary.

I have infinitely more respect for Spec and my opinion on him changed drastically at the MacT hiring press conference.

Philly85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:30 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 612
Darren Dreger is hopelessly lazy. He's really just a thoughtless parrot for the Leafs now. I'd rather hear from Aaron Ward this "insider" Darren Dreger.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horseradish View Post
No question.

Tencer actually BECAME quite good. That doesn't surprise me. He was hired as a young 20-something in a radio role that required that he be a "voice of reason". How many young 20-somethings would you rely on to be a voice of reason for anything? How about 30 year olds? Huge difference. Tencer grew nicely into the role.

Spector, on the other hand, tempered his otherwise ****** personality to be on the radio. And it was still unbearable. He's the crustiest, most opinionated, unknowledgeable person with a job in the biz. Even worse than others I can't stand like Cam Cole, Jim Matheson, Terry "wut haz u done wif donuts, coach!?" Jones, Simmons, Duhatschek, Garrioch, Brooks, etc....old school-types who seem to think they know the game better than everybody else and get angry when they're wrong.
Spector was leading the Hemsky hate train all off season. He stated multiple times on his radio show that he had "absolutely no trade value" and he was basically a throw in for a low end draft pick next year if he was to be dealt.

Right...a talented winger that's on the final year of his contract is "useless" as he put it.

That's just one of the issues I have with him. He plays favorites and can't back up any of his comments. His radio show is unbearable. Spector is by far the worst I have ever heard, his analysis on players is dreadful and I question whether or not he's even seen an Oiler game.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 01:18 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Spector was leading the Hemsky hate train all off season. He stated multiple times on his radio show that he had "absolutely no trade value" and he was basically a throw in for a low end draft pick next year if he was to be dealt.

Right...a talented winger that's on the final year of his contract is "useless" as he put it.

That's just one of the issues I have with him. He plays favorites and can't back up any of his comments. His radio show is unbearable. Spector is by far the worst I have ever heard, his analysis on players is dreadful and I question whether or not he's even seen an Oiler game.
He was exactly wrong. The market showed that there was little value for Hemmer. Especially at 5mil, when guys for less question marks were signing for less.

Old
10-10-2013, 02:03 PM
barto

Have to agree that Spector's segment on Jason Gregor's show was about the only segment I looked forward to catching. Although I did start to notice that Gregor would ask his opinion on something, Spec would hum and haw for a moment and then ask Gregor what HE thought, and basically go along with it. Probably just trying not to pee on Gregor's parade.

I also liked Spec's own noon-to-2 show for the most part - don't find any problems with Spec. I like his style and approach.

Can't say the same for Tencer - not sure I would agree that he became all that much better.

Wish the noon-to-2 slot was filled with something good on TSN 1260, and soon. Can't take full doses of Stauffer!

barto is offline   Reply With Quote