HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's the Defense!- Habs lose 3-2

Old
10-10-2013, 06:50 AM
Craig71

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Without Subban we would have lost much more badly however, before his penalty he was litterally carrying the team and seemed to be the only one caring. Sadly, he cared a little too much! He should have played 28mins tho, not 22... I dont know what MT is thinking. Its no wonder Subban tries to do too much.
I am not questioning his talent level or effort, I just think his focus should have been more geared towards a tying goal than simply trying to break some scrub Flames player in half.

I wonder how MT is preparing our guys for games because way too often they just don't seem to have any jump. Eller, Subban, Gallagher and Chucky are exempt from my scorn because they really do bring it.

We will have be much better against the oilers and canucks or I fear that MT might go the way of so many other coaches. With Guy Boucher on the radar, he better start getting things in order. It's not the games in April that matter as much as the winnable ones in October and November that I look back on when our guys are battling for a playoff spot.

Craig71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
sendoh12

I think it should be noted that the 4th line tonight got scored on twice. I really don't like that combination of Prust-White-Moen. Not enough talent on that line. Put Bournival in there for a little more skill because right now I'm starting to really miss Halpern.

sendoh12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:01 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig71 View Post
I am not questioning his talent level or effort, I just think his focus should have been more geared towards a tying goal than simply trying to break some scrub Flames player in half.

I wonder how MT is preparing our guys for games because way too often they just don't seem to have any jump. Eller, Subban, Gallagher and Chucky are exempt from my scorn because they really do bring it.

We will have be much better against the oilers and canucks or I fear that MT might go the way of so many other coaches. With Guy Boucher on the radar, he better start getting things in order. It's not the games in April that matter as much as the winnable ones in October and November that I look back on when our guys are battling for a playoff spot.
Given what the Habs did last year MT has a lot of rope.

They didn't play great the 1st and 3rd games, but only lost by one goal each game...I don't think firing MT has even entered MB's mind.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:04 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendoh12 View Post
I think it should be noted that the 4th line tonight got scored on twice. I really don't like that combination of Prust-White-Moen. Not enough talent on that line. Put Bournival in there for a little more skill because right now I'm starting to really miss Halpern.
Bournival has more talent than DD and should take his spot in the lineup, DD got his contract much like Komisarek did in Toronto, on the talent of the players he played with, Cole and Pacioretty made him look good and Bergevin simply failed to see it. I feel good for the guy that he's now a millionaire(DD) but it was a major blunder to pay him to be a first or second line center and he simply is not that or anywhere near it.

Old
10-10-2013, 07:06 AM
Craig71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post

They didn't play great the 1st and 3rd games, but only lost by one goal each game...I don't think firing MT has even entered MB's mind.
If we lose to the Oilers and Canucks in the same manner, will the focus change to MT and his coaching or will we start the tank threads and say that last year was just a fluke?

Old
10-10-2013, 07:07 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:

you mean the same Guy who wasnt offered a NHL job after his stint in TB ?

why would MT be fired because of the 4 or 5 first games, MB isnt Holmgren you know, he doesnt have his own job to save...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:08 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
If we lose to the Oilers and Canucks in the same manner, will the focus change to MT and his coaching or will we start the tank threads and say that last year was just a fluke?
you're about 2 months late I'd say... that's what most people think already.

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:15 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
What did Bouillon do, other than being 5'8" and 37 years old, to be called "terrible"?
You kidding me?

Have you ever criticized any of our players?

You keep calling us biais, what about you who can see no wrong in our players? Maybe it is is you who is way over protective.

Bouillon was solid yesterday? DD was fine last year..?

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:17 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by sendoh12 View Post
Don't say that to anybody on here, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame DD or Bouillon for this...

Old
10-10-2013, 07:20 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Don't say that to anybody on here, I'm sure they'll find a way to blame DD or Bouillon for this...
We can always put DD there. So much talent and hard working. Perfect fit.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:24 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
You kidding me?

Have you ever criticized any of our players?

You keep calling us biais, what about you who can see no wrong in our players? Maybe it is is you who is way over protective.

Bouillon was solid yesterday? DD was fine last year..?
It's always the same song and dance.

Tinordi with the giveaway on the 2nd goal.

The White line on the ice for the first two. Subban caught up ice on the 1st, in the box for the 3rd and again with 2 minutes left trying to tie the game.

Yet it's Bouillon getting called out despite not making any glaring mistakes or even being on the ice for a goal as far as I can tell...

Old
10-10-2013, 07:28 AM
dutchy29

not enough effort out of the gait, EEG line looks great once again, other lines very average, and which line out of the top 3 is going to be our shutdown line that plays sound defensively and can shut down the opponents best players? because as far as I see we have 1 line that can do it all, and 2 other potentially good offensive lines that don't play with near enough heart.
Overall team needs to play with more intensity, grit and back check a hell of a lot harder.
If Price was lights out best goalie in the league this system might work with 3 offense lines that don't back check but hes not, hes still learning and needs more support from defence.
Also can't remember a game recently where we came back from any sort of deficit. If this team scores first they seem to keep rolling, if not? it seems they can never overcome. Last year we scored first a ton, hence the great record but there is no guarantee things will duplicate themselves from last season.
Its early but not impressed so far, and Briere seems to be what I expected. A poor acquisition.

dutchy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:43 AM
Joe Cole

The Habs came out flat and made a bad team look good in the first two periods. They turned it on in the third, but could not capitalize on a weak team.

Price started to show his disappointment in the 2nd, but came back be form in the 3rd. Yes, he slid out of position on the third goal. It is something to continue to work on.

The D was not good last night. No focus.

EGG ok, but not amazing. Galchenyuk started shooting from every angle, and mostly missing the net.

DD had a better game then the first two, but he still is not earning any ice time yet.

Patchioretty looked a little rusty, but had a few nice moves.

Briere needs to start showing us something.

Fourth line showed nothing.

Plekanec line was meh.

Coach shortened up the D towards the end, but they do not have the horses to make that count after (a declining) Markov and Subban.

Subban tried to do it all in the third. Good thing, no one else seemed to have the skill to make a dent.

The team needs to forget this game fast, and win the next one.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:47 AM
BigDaddyLurch
Deleted Posts Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by sventington View Post
Man, what happened to Tinordi? In the preseason he would punish people who were trying to enter the Habs' defensive zone, but now he is as invisible as the rest of our poor defenders (Subban and Markov notwithstanding).
Tinordi's playing his off side (Bouillon's playing the LD) and it's throwing his game off badly; he needs to be put back on LD and paired with a RD, preferably Diaz...put Markov back with Subbie for a bit and have Gorges anchor the 3rd pairing with Beaulieu for a few games...Cube's a warrior, but his game is hurting us now, especially at 20+ min a night; he needs to sit.

BigDaddyLurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:53 AM
KirkMuller93

Quote:

Tinordi with the giveaway on the 2nd goal.

The White line on the ice for the first two. Subban caught up ice on the 1st, in the box for the 3rd and again with 2 minutes left trying to tie the game.

Yet it's Bouillon getting called out despite not making any glaring mistakes or even being on the ice for a goal as far as I can tell...
I think the general concensus is that Bouillon and Desharnais should not be getting the minutes they are getting. Its not that Boullion has been terrible but what has warranted him to play the 2nd unit of PP or to be on in the final minute of a game down by a goal. As for Desharnais he is just drowning out the players on his line especially Briere, the way he has played he does not deserve any powerplay time yet Therrien keeps on feeding it to him. They may not be to blame for the loss last night but as a whole dating back to last season these guys are way over used and should not be

KirkMuller93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:

Of course MT is safe. I am not even sure there is a strong expectation for the playoffs from Bergie. You certainly would not see a Gainey type commandeering of the bench if things go wrong.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:59 AM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyLurch View Post
Tinordi's playing his off side (Bouillon's playing the LD) and it's throwing his game off badly; he needs to be put back on LD and paired with a RD, preferably Diaz...put Markov back with Subbie for a bit and have Gorges anchor the 3rd pairing with Beaulieu for a few games...Cube's a warrior, but his game is hurting us now, especially at 20+ min a night; he needs to sit.
Maybe put Markov with Gorges, Subban with Tinordi and Bouillion with Diaz. Tinordi would be back to his L side.

Give more time to Subban as well, on the PK, and you can always add some time to any of Markov, Gorges, Bouillion to pair with Subban to keep Tinordi's time down to 15-17 minutes/gm.

Bottom line, a bad giveaway by a rookie playing his off side (why put Tinordi on the R??????) a bad penalty by the reigning Norris winner (he still has brain farts once in a while), Less ice time to the 34yo playing on one knee would help too.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:04 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkMuller93 View Post
I think the general concensus is that Bouillon and Desharnais should not be getting the minutes they are getting. Its not that Boullion has been terrible but what has warranted him to play the 2nd unit of PP or to be on in the final minute of a game down by a goal. As for Desharnais he is just drowning out the players on his line especially Briere, the way he has played he does not deserve any powerplay time yet Therrien keeps on feeding it to him. They may not be to blame for the loss last night but as a whole dating back to last season these guys are way over used and should not be
If you want to get the DD line going and try to tie the game, you have to play them. They played around 16 minutes, not 20 or 22. It's what any coach would have done. Would you rather see the White line out there? They were -2.

In regards to Bouillon, who would you rather see on the 2nd PP, Gorges? Tinordi?

MT had few choices the last minute of the game, he had 4 d-men left, you're not going to send Tinordi out to try and Markov was already out there.

Old
10-10-2013, 08:06 AM
LePoche69

Bergevin, Therrien, Gallant and co. are not stupide. If we see things as fans, they see them too, and even more, or more accuratly since they can use all day to decortiquate any play in slowmotion for hours.

Now what are the decisions they'll make, that's what I'm interested in. My bet is they'll try some line up shuffling for at least a month, and if it doesn't get on track, they'll start playing youngsters like Beaulieu, Bournival, Nygren, etc. They need to because a lot of vets won't be back next year, so better give them experience.

I think it is a transition year. I wouldn't be surprise to see the Habs finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference, but I think it would be the last year. Starting next year, we'll see a real progression toward to top 1/3.

We can't make anything of last year. Like it or not, 42 games is not enough. Plenty of teams disappear in a second half of a season.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:06 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifaxhab View Post
Maybe put Markov with Gorges, Subban with Tinordi and Bouillion with Diaz. Tinordi would be back to his L side.

Give more time to Subban as well, on the PK, and you can always add some time to any of Markov, Gorges, Bouillion to pair with Subban to keep Tinordi's time down to 15-17 minutes/gm.

Bottom line, a bad giveaway by a rookie playing his off side (why put Tinordi on the R??????) a bad penalty by the reigning Norris winner (he still has brain farts once in a while), Less ice time to the 34yo playing on one knee would help too.
If you're a LH d-man playing hockey you will usually play on the RH side at least 1/3 of the time as there are a lot more LH shooting hockey players than RH ones. I don't see why it's a big deal that Tinordi is playing off side. The goal where he lost the puck he was on the left and Gorges was in the RH corner...not sure what LH has to do with that, sounds like grasping at straws.

Old
10-10-2013, 08:12 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
PK's problem last night and on many nights for that matter is that he can't draw a call because he has a reputation. Based on what I saw last night, he doesn't have the respect of the referees. He earned that penalty last night. It doesn't help his cause in drawing calls because he chirps the refs constantly. I love the guy and watching him take the puck up is a beauty thing to watch, but he's gotta channel those emotions. You have to watch him play a game live when he's frustrated to see how far he still has to go as a player. That to me is scary awesome because when he does he will be the best player in the league.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:19 AM
Dont Poke Subban

First of all, I was too drunk to post last night..Lol. But I was at the game last night and It seemed like the Habs dominated Cgy the whole game, even when the score was 3-0 Flames.

My observations:
- DD and Bouillon. Surprised? Yups. Even more frustrating to watch in person. Their jobs were to simply kill plays for their own team.

- Tinordi is still not ready for the big league. I hate to say that but it's true.

- Subban, Eller, Gallys, Maxpac and even Briere showed up to play.

- Plekanec (my favorite player) were almost invisible.

- Not blaming Price but he just needs to be more aggressive. Aggressiveness is all he's missing in his game. He doesn't have to always make things look simple. But he did give us a chance for a comeback.

- Lastly, I think MT is full of ****! Didn't he say the players have to earn their ice time? Yet DD had more ice time AGAIN than Eller and Galchenyuk. Im sick of him. DD needs to sit a game or two. Sit in the pressbox and figure out how you can improve your game.

Dont Poke Subban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:22 AM
danyhabsfan

I couldnt catch the game again...

Desharnais was bad again

I dont know why but I'll buy a chevrolet sonic...

danyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:

Tinordi with the giveaway on the 2nd goal.The White line on the ice for the first two. Subban caught up ice on the 1st, in the box for the 3rd and again with 2 minutes left trying to tie the game.

I had a bigger issue with Gorges passing Tinordi the puck on that play...in that instance, Gorges has to be Tinordi's eyes behind his head. It was kind of hard for Tinordi to know that the Flames player was right on his back waiting for him to play a puck.

Gorges should of reemed the puck hard around the boards to try to get it out of the zone.

The White line was awful all game, the Habs were obviously asleep and it's usually their job to do something to provoke the team, instead they got scored on twice.

I thought Pacioretty/Brière played pretty good games...but their center, he just can't get anything going right now. Time to wonder if even sitting DD and playing Bournival in his place makes more sense at this point.

Plekanec, I keep saying it, and I know it seems to offend a lot of you...but he was again invisible. He never does anything to make you notice him negatively, but he rarely does anything these days, to make you notice he's playing at all. He's been a passenger for too long when he should be one of the leaders...

Obviously, a brain-cramp for Subban last night...but i'm sorry, he was one of the few Habs who seemed to play with some urgency last night, who realized that this was a game they should of dominated. He took one bad penalty (the other penalty was a joke) but otherwise was the best player on the ice, despite his coaching staff not realizing it.

I know it's only been 3 games...but the coaching staff needs to make some obvious adjustments. They didn't show ANY patience with Eller last year after one game, it may be time to send a shock message to Desharnais

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:29 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Bergevin, Therrien, Gallant and co. are not stupide. If we see things as fans, they see them too, and even more, or more accuratly since they can use all day to decortiquate any play in slowmotion for hours.

Now what are the decisions they'll make, that's what I'm interested in. My bet is they'll try some line up shuffling for at least a month, and if it doesn't get on track, they'll start playing youngsters like Beaulieu, Bournival, Nygren, etc. They need to because a lot of vets won't be back next year, so better give them experience.

I think it is a transition year. I wouldn't be surprise to see the Habs finish in the bottom 1/3 of the conference, but I think it would be the last year. Starting next year, we'll see a real progression toward to top 1/3.

We can't make anything of last year. Like it or not, 42 games is not enough. Plenty of teams disappear in a second half of a season.
spelling aside you have to love someone who can work this word into the conversation.

Last edited by Agnostic: 10-10-2013 at 09:13 AM.
Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote