HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Scott Stevens School of Defense

Old
10-08-2013, 05:13 PM
ThePSEGPowerPoster
LOSER POINTS!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
The say he has favorites....like he cares about anything other than winning games. He is the that gets fired if they don't win enough. I blame Fayne for not making the top 6(not Pete). Same for JJ which is pretty embarrassing since Gionta is a pretty bad player.
I would agree except we saw JJ outperform a lot of guys in the preseason. Same with Fayne.

ThePSEGPowerPoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:14 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Pete may care about winning, but he has a pretty myopic view about how to do it.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:14 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
I was talking about Larry only...but with Stevens there just isn't enough proof either way. More it's circumstantial evidence against Stevens though (the bizarre rotation last year, constant scratching of Larsson/Fayne - particularly the treatment of Fayne the last couple years since Larry left).
Maybe Fayne and Larsson are crap in practice. Maybe they continue to ignore the coaches instructions. Who the hell knows why they aren't playing but I highly doubt it is anything but Pete's need to win now.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:15 PM
NJDEVIL

i do not think this is on Scott Stevens at all.....however after a while, one can't help but point the finger to him. The problems are in Volchenkov and Zidlicky not paying attention to their positioning. Defense is built on a lot of routine patterns and positions. If you see your defensive partner in the corner, you go to the front of the net and the center goes to the corner. Lot of air head decisions last night, Volchenkov is a problem and we will suffer until he is removed. Scotty can't play the game for them. I feel bad for him, you can see he's cringing. I hope he rips them all new holes

I am overly angered that DeBoer had not called a time out after their second goal. In fact it worries me. He did the same **** last year and it's clearly continuing into this year, I don't see how it could take this long to figure it out. A time out could have stopped their momentum.

I do fear will be fired if he keeps doing that, and i dont want that because i think his system is good. We just need to stop blowing leads, stop playing volchenkov, and call time outs when they need to be called.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:20 PM
NJDEVIL

the bottom line is you don;t sit a 4mil player. Doesn't matter how good the young guys are, until you can trade him, you don;t put 4mil in the press box, its not rocket science. This is clearly Lou's call. I'll bet he tried to trade Volch and either he wont wave, or no one wants him.

NJDEVIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:23 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDEVIL View Post
the bottom line is you don;t sit a 4mil player. Doesn't matter how good the young guys are, until you can trade him, you don;t put 4mil in the press box, its not rocket science. This is clearly Lou's call. I'll bet he tried to trade Volch and either he wont wave, or no one wants him.
Exactly. Larsson, Fayne, and Harrold are the only players that can be healthy scratches. My guess Larsson plays for Harrold next game unless Fayne sucks tonight.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2013, 05:50 PM
JerseyGuy276
An American Outlaw

Quote:
If the guy sucks a big one, you bet your ass you put him in that press box and let the better player play over him. You're right, it isn't rocket science, it's common sense, or so one would think.

JerseyGuy276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:26 AM
guitarguyvic

Quote:
This makes absolutely no sense. You don't pay a guy $4 mil to help you lose games on a consistent basis. When that happens it becomes more cost effective to pay him to sit in the pressbox. That's common sense. The only reason you would keep that guy in the lineup is because you don't want to admit your mistake.

guitarguyvic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:31 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Eh, ok?

So you can't bench someone who's underachieving in favour of icing the best team possible? That's just a dumb way of looking at it IMO cause you're giving a "favour" to one player but you're also telling the 21 other players that you're more worried about the feelings of a player instead of the team.

Great logic right there. We might as well give #28 some PP time as well, just to make sure that he doesn't feel left out.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:32 AM
CerebralGenesis

tell that to Mogilny. Although I dunno what he made back in the day.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 08:10 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
The only thing I would blame Stevens for is if he's choosing the lineup.

The real issue is that this is what happens when you lose a guy like Tallinder. Tallinder himself, while a good play driver, isn't the issue so much as how he often kept Volchenkov or Salvador out of the lineup when he was here.

The fact is that, currently deployed, the Devils have a terrible group of defensemen. Volchenkov's minutes are actually very slightly down from last year's average, so if Stevens is responsible for anything, all I can see is the addition of Harrold into the regular lineup. I don't think that's on Stevens. I don't think Deboer would let someone else choose a lineup if Deboer thought it wasn't optimal.

So what are missing? How does a young guy like Fayne go from top-pairing to healthy scratch? What's Harrold REALLY done to warrant a promotion? He attempts some flashy plays and skates well, but it clearly hasn't translated to production so I don't think the staff is awaiting some sort of untapped potential. Dressing room problem? Maybe a conditioning issue? Is Deboer actually a moron?

Hockey Sports Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:11 PM
Lateralous
New Jersey Devils

Quote:
When you've already pissed away our upcoming draft pick on the Kovy fiasco and then made it worse by being too arrogant to take the penalty when you had the 29th, you better play the guys who give you the best chance to win. It doesn't matter how much they're being paid. It will be a lot more embarrassing giving up a top 10 pick than stashing a 4 million dollar guy in the press box who is not performing

Lateralous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:30 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
tell that to Mogilny. Although I dunno what he made back in the day.
i think it was in the 3 to 3.5 M range.

edit: 7 M for 2 years...... then patty went on a tear when he got back http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2280486

Last edited by njdevils1982: 10-09-2013 at 09:36 PM.
njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

I think Almo was a cancer in the locker room before he was demoted. Larry said a bunch of stuff about him after he stepped down. I remember him saying that Mogilny wasn't helping things.

We sent a bunch of deadweight down that year. McGillis was sent down too.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 09:59 PM
njdevils1982
Chico for HOF!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think Almo was a cancer in the locker room before he was demoted. Larry said a bunch of stuff about him after he stepped down. I remember him saying that Mogilny wasn't helping things.

We sent a bunch of deadweight down that year. McGillis was sent down too.
the circle has been completed!!!!!..... when lou malakhoved vladimir to san jose it was for a conditional first in '07 which eventually with other trades turned out to be ..... david perron. (http://www.prosportstransactions.com...&submit=Search)

then this happened on monday. https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/388...344768/photo/1

njdevils1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:00 PM
NJDevs26
Status quo

vCash: 50
Yeah and $3.5 million was a LOT more in those days considering the $39 million cap. I honestly think Volch's contract has very little to do with why he isn't sitting, or at least not as much as the fact he's a vet and was born left-handed.

NJDevs26 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:02 PM
Bleedred
Foligno sucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by njdevils1982 View Post
the circle has been completed!!!!!..... when lou malakhoved vladimir to san jose it was for a conditional first in '07 which eventually with other trades turned out to be ..... david perron. (http://www.prosportstransactions.com...&submit=Search)

then this happened on monday. https://twitter.com/DP_57/status/388...344768/photo/1
That was pretty cool! Marty giving him his stick and signing it for him!

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:09 PM
CerebralGenesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs26 View Post
Yeah and $3.5 million was a LOT more in those days considering the $39 million cap. I honestly think Volch's contract has very little to do with why he isn't sitting, or at least not as much as the fact he's a vet and was born left-handed.
Ya i was going to say that too.

Based on historical lou experience, the contract should not have bearing.

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:31 AM
Zajacs Bowl Cut
Nova Nation

Send a message via AIM to Zajacs Bowl Cut Send a message via Yahoo to Zajacs Bowl Cut
Pete had no problem sitting Tallinder who made what, $1 million less?

Zajacs Bowl Cut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 07:40 AM
KaossKing
Pacing Well

the only contract affecting Volchenkov playing is Pete's

KaossKing is offline   Reply With Quote