HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers season at crossroads--already

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-09-2013, 10:52 PM
  #26
Raspewtin
Adderall Admiral
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Howard Beach, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 20,387
vCash: 50
I can't say I disagree with Brooks but god DAMN is this article premature.

Raspewtin is online now  
Old
10-09-2013, 11:33 PM
  #27
bobbop
Henrik & Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 5,146
vCash: 500
So let's see...Monday night we were planning the Stanley Cup parade. Tuesday night we're facing Armegeddon. The truth is somewhere in between.

I'm not getting worked up either way until we've played 10-12 games and start to see how this settles out. If this was January, I would be stringing up the coach. Right now, I'm just not going to get too worked up. That's dangerous at my age.

bobbop is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:00 AM
  #28
ponzu4u
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
Agreed in that I'm enjoying Brook's stuff a lot less these days.

ponzu4u is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:12 AM
  #29
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bialystok, Poland
Country: Iceland
Posts: 6,144
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
We’re told by an individual who knows Vigneault very well the coach will address the Rangers’ issues with a stern hand behind closed doors; that he will take an unemotional, tactical approach to correcting the Rangers’ problems.
If the team fails to respond, well, they’re not firing another coach, that’s for sure.
Hate to say so, since I was very much for dumping Tortorella, that I have heard some incredibly negative things about AV the past month. Simply horrible stuff. Cannot elaborate on this really - as I am not in the locker room... I have not yet to comment this here nor on AV as a coach/person on these boards as I feel there has not been enough time to do so yet. HE needs to be given a fair and ample chance with his clean slate and we are far from that here.

I guess that is all I can say for now, but it has been brought forth.

BTW - The source to these comments are 2 professional NHL players that previously have played under AV.

BBKers is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 01:33 AM
  #30
Kwayry
Registered User
 
Kwayry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Plano
Country: United States
Posts: 2,969
vCash: 500
There will be growing pains while the team adjusts to the system. I will be more interested to see how the team is playing in November.
The game they played against the Kings is how the system is supposed to be played and they played for full 60 minutes, can they sustain that on a consistent basis? That's the question that will be answered in November.
The game against the Ducks is a good test on how they, the players and AV, react to adversity.

Kwayry is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:19 AM
  #31
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 32,488
vCash: 500
Zipay is also pressing the panic button

Quote:
Yes, it's three games into a season with a new coaching staff and a new system.

Struggles were expected. Three of the top six forwards missed training camp and one won't be back until the home opener, around Halloween.

The schedule is ghastly due to the renovations at the Garden. Nine roadies to begin.

And now there's a question about Rick Nash's health after the high hit from Brad Stuart that snapped back his head, drawing a three-game suspension.

Nothing's in synch.

Panic, meet button?

Well, we can say this: The roster won't be the same in November.

Carl Hagelin, for one, will be back. Not that he's a savior, but he'll add speed and forechecking. J.T. Miller and Chris Kreider, you would think, will be up from Hartford to add some legs and grit.

There will be waivers, and maybe a trade, as GM Glen Sather and head coach Alain Vigneault work through the rough spots.
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...tart-1.6230335

None of this is a surprise.

The Garden renovations. Is the Garden having trouble selling tickets by hawking mini plans on their website? The coaching change and the new system. The injuries to Callahan and Hagelin.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:26 AM
  #32
jniklast
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Country: Germany
Posts: 5,338
vCash: 500
If they stay at, or very close to, .500 for the entire road trip, they are fine standings wise at least.

jniklast is online now  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:47 AM
  #33
bubba5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,057
vCash: 500
I love how people say how it's only 3 games into the season. How are they so certain it
Won't get worse? I mean this thing that time will fix everything is not a standard. If they were losing games that they competed fairly well in I get it but they have been outplayed in every game this
Season and preseason. And lets be real. If Quick does not let in that fluke goal in LA, is there a Rangers fan out there that did not expect LA to score on that power play and go on to win that game?

bubba5 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:53 AM
  #34
NikC
Registered User
 
NikC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
If his article serves no other purpose but to wake up certain players and move management to make moves
To harden this lineup.... so be it.

No way a team should lay down like that at anytime in the season. Especially after one of your guys gets a headshot.

Against SJ no less, a team who's captain openly called us soft to the media?!!

Disgraceful. This franchise runs like any corporate PC machine. Maybe they should have hired the head of HR to coach this team.....

NikC is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 06:58 AM
  #35
GordonGecko
Stanley Cup 2015
 
GordonGecko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR2007 View Post
Yes its early in the season, and its easy to make excuses, but to be blown out like that three games into the season is really bad.
yeah I guess they should be blown out during the run to the playoffs after everyone knows the system, right???

looooooooooooooool

GordonGecko is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:04 AM
  #36
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
No need for the panic in the article, but the underlying themes are 100% spot on -- specifically, the question of if this team is strong enough to succeed with more freedom

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:24 AM
  #37
rrude
Registered User
 
rrude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Seems like the Rangers are rolling three lines of grinders and that's not going to win a lot of games in the NHL. The SJ game felt like Pyatt was on the ice for 20 mins. That's not going to win a lot of games either. Somewhere between Vigneault and Sather they need to make better decisions about who's on the ice. I like Asham, Dorsett, Pyatt, Boyle, etc. ok in certain limited roles, but they should be competing with each other for 4th line minutes not constituting most of your lineup. Where are the younger, faster players? Hagelin will help but he's not the total answer. Vigneault's system requires more overall skill than they are putting out there.

rrude is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:26 AM
  #38
Mio41
Ron Harris #3
 
Mio41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Uncle Larry takes his role as part of the "withering spotlight" of the New York sports press way too seriously. As if he were covering the Yankees or the Giants.

As always, read him for the scoops - ignore his commentary.
Haven't even played a home game, how could you possibly be at a crossroads, no wonder Torts hated him...

Mio41 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:31 AM
  #39
DMPD
Mats, Zuke of NY
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 20,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No need for the panic in the article, but the underlying themes are 100% spot on -- specifically, the question of if this team is strong enough to succeed with more freedom
The other inconvenient truth being that if they aren't it just solidifies the fact it is the GM, and his roster, not the coaches. Which is actually what has been suspected for years, but will everyone finally be able to accept that maybe this team just isn't as good as it is on paper?

This year will say a lot, imo.

__________________


rip
DMPD is online now  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:35 AM
  #40
NYR2007
Registered User
 
NYR2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
yeah I guess they should be blown out during the run to the playoffs after everyone knows the system, right???

looooooooooooooool
You guys act like they have been taught defense first hockey since the day they were born. You know these guys have played under many coaches in their career . Hockey is hockey.

You guys wanna make the excuse " new system" are kidding your selves.

These guys should be hungry right now . The season just started. They stopped playing !!

Again that's on leadership and character

NYR2007 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:51 AM
  #41
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 17,624
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
Hate to say so, since I was very much for dumping Tortorella, that I have heard some incredibly negative things about AV the past month. Simply horrible stuff. Cannot elaborate on this really - as I am not in the locker room... I have not yet to comment this here nor on AV as a coach/person on these boards as I feel there has not been enough time to do so yet. HE needs to be given a fair and ample chance with his clean slate and we are far from that here.

I guess that is all I can say for now, but it has been brought forth.

BTW - The source to these comments are 2 professional NHL players that previously have played under AV.
Why post the above if you aren't going to state what it is you heard, regardless of who it was from.

"I heard some things....cant really say what it was that I heard, or from whom I heard it, but I heard some things"

REALLY?

pld459666 is online now  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:58 AM
  #42
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Uncle Larry takes his role as part of the "withering spotlight" of the New York sports press way too seriously. As if he were covering the Yankees or the Giants.

As always, read him for the scoops - ignore his commentary.
We all know who Brook is, BRF. But he is right. It is early. And the team is small and not nearly gritty enough. However, the utter lack of effort and the "quit" that was exhibited is alarming. Couple that with not being prepared to play in Phoenix and the sheer lack of hustle that was exhibited that game, it is not too early to be alarmed.

The team would have NEVER played like this under Torts. The players feared stepping onto the ice and not giving 100%. If they did, they would have been either benched, demoted or scratched.

Now, I do not see the fear. The "feel-good" approach of AV does not have the players fearing not to hustle.

The floating has been evident in preaseason and in 2 out of 3 games. Torts was fired because the players decided that he stifles their creativity. Turns out, they do not have the creativity that they thought they did.

True Blue is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 07:59 AM
  #43
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
Larry panders to a reactionist overdramatic New York fanbase

always has, always will

Pump. The. Brakes.

mullichicken25 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:18 AM
  #44
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,476
vCash: 500
Awards:
This season may not be at a crossroad per se, but the franchise is. Is it more of the same (finish in the bottom four of the East and possibly win a round) or do you stop trying to cut corners and build a team properly?

You could argue that the crossroad came when they fired Tortorella — because everything they had done personnel-wise was to ice a team in his mold.

__________________

Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-10-2013 at 08:32 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:24 AM
  #45
tailgunner
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 255
vCash: 500
I know its 3 games into the season but this was NOT a normal loss...this was a disgrace to the sweater....Callahan is not a leader...after that circus goal was scored someone on the ice should of went over and pummeled this guy...no one did a thing...no one on the bench did anything....remember a few yrs ago when anisimov did that shotgun pump celebration, well what happened? vinny lecavilier went over over and pummeled anisimov and rightly so...our whole bench did nothing...torts would of never stood for this...he would of sent a message on the ice or on the next shift...we stood by like chickens and did nothing...Callahan was quiet like a mouse, that 'C' should be ripped off his chest....messier in that situation would of ko'ed the kid and anyone on the ice...this is a soft pathetic bunch now with a softie coach to go with it

tailgunner is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:28 AM
  #46
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,476
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
We all know who Brook is, BRF. But he is right. It is early. And the team is small and not nearly gritty enough. However, the utter lack of effort and the "quit" that was exhibited is alarming. Couple that with not being prepared to play in Phoenix and the sheer lack of hustle that was exhibited that game, it is not too early to be alarmed.

The team would have NEVER played like this under Torts. The players feared stepping onto the ice and not giving 100%. If they did, they would have been either benched, demoted or scratched.

Now, I do not see the fear. The "feel-good" approach of AV does not have the players fearing not to hustle.

The floating has been evident in preaseason and in 2 out of 3 games. Torts was fired because the players decided that he stifles their creativity. Turns out, they do not have the creativity that they thought they did.
The Torts firing and hiring of AV with the thought that he would take the shackles off his players is reminiscent of Neil Smith, after Messier left and losing out on Joe Sakic, signing Keane and Skrudland (and LaFontaine) and deciding the Rangers were going to be a defensive, trap team. It comes down to the personnel and creating a system that maximizes their strengths.

Look at where AV was coming from? Do you see that kind of offensive talent on this team? What's also concerning is the big knock on AV's Vancouver teams was that were soft. We've seen a soft team so far (outside of the LA game).

It's this team's mindset and demeanor that has carried over from the pre-season that I was alluding to as being a concern. The results in the preseason don't matter. How you go about your business does.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 10-10-2013 at 08:37 AM.
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:35 AM
  #47
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,832
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
This season may not be at a crossroad per se, but the franchise is. Is it more of the same (finish in the bottom four of the East and possibly win a round) or do you stop trying to cut corners and build a team properly?

You could argue that the crossroad came when they fired Tortorella because everything they had done personnel-wise was to ice a team in his mold.
Two seasons ago yes, but not last year, Torts went to the press complaining about the "middle of the lineup" several times.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:36 AM
  #48
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
The Torts firing and hiring of AV with the thought that he would take the shackles off his players is reminiscent of Neil Smith, after Messier left and losing out on Joe Sakic, signing Keane and Skrudland (and LaFontaine) and deciding the Rangers were going to be a defensive, trap team. It comes down to the personnel and creating a system that maximizes their strengths.
Truth be told, I wish more fans had a historic viewpoint on this matter. The roster construction and downright refusal to strongly commit to a long-term plan has been plaguing this franchise since I can remember.

Instead, far too many people will continue to preach patience for Vigneault, get sick of Vigneault, and turn this into yet another referendum on the coach. How much longer before they get out of that vicious cycle?

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:38 AM
  #49
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato
 
HatTrick Swayze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 10,137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
So let's see...Monday night we were planning the Stanley Cup parade. Tuesday night we're facing Armegeddon. The truth is somewhere in between.

I'm not getting worked up either way until we've played 10-12 games and start to see how this settles out. If this was January, I would be stringing up the coach. Right now, I'm just not going to get too worked up. That's dangerous at my age.
Appreciate the level headed reason. It's easy to get a little wrapped up.

BBKers, interesting stuff.

HatTrick Swayze is offline  
Old
10-10-2013, 08:38 AM
  #50
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,476
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Two seasons ago yes, but not last year, Torts went to the press complaining about the "middle of the lineup" several times.
I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.