HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Where's the Defense!- Habs lose 3-2

Old
10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Rosso Scuderia

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Max Pac still hasn't learn to play like a true power forward on a constant basis. I like the guy, but it's about time he does.
Why does Max needs to be a true power forward? He doesn't need that to be productive.

Max is more of a sniper.

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:40 AM
Habs

Nice to see we have gotten so complacent in Montreal, people are celebrating a nice pass from Briere. Never mind his contract, HE MADE A NICE PASS LAST NIGHT! WOOOOO!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Tyson

I grew up in the 70's during the time when the Habs were in a different league from every other team. To see this mediocrity year after year is not fun. I swear that no matter what they do, replace coaches, replace the GM, bring in new players, things don't change. Sad era in which to be a die hard Hab fan

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:52 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Nice to see we have gotten so complacent in Montreal, people are celebrating a nice pass from Briere. Never mind his contract, HE MADE A NICE PASS LAST NIGHT! WOOOOO!
To be fair, Frankie B and DD are already in full scapegoat mode. Briere has made some nice plays but has more than anything been lucky that someone on his line has sucked worse than him. Should he be absolved of all blame? No, but he's playing out of his natural position with the worst forward on our team right now as his center. Can't be fun.

And I'm someone who wasn't much a fan of the Briere signing, so take that for what it's worth.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:54 AM
ThaDevilGirl

All I can say is Briere should play center, not wing.

ThaDevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:55 AM
Garbage Goal

While Briere tends to produce better at C offensively, that also means giving him more defensive responsibility which historically is something he's not good with.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:57 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
While Briere tends to produce better at C offensively, that also means giving him more defensive responsibility which historically is something he's not good with.
Would he really be worse than Desharnais in his own end...

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Habsawce

This team has major holes in it, with adding Emelin back in the line up I still think the team lacks these additions in order to compete.

#2D
#4C
#4D
#1RW

That's 4 spots in the line up where the players inserted and utilized are not up to par with a competing team. Look at the Blackhawks who won the cup last year and who they have in those positions. Brent Seabrook ,Marcus Kreuger, Nick Leddy and Marian Hossa. Compared to Josh Gorges, Ryan White, Raf Diaz and Brian Gionta.

The gap in those players makes a huge difference in a game.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Well the coaching staff somehow manages to play Desharnais at center for 18 mins a game...

Do you really think Brière is worst than Desharnais defensively?

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Would he really be worse than Desharnais in his own end...
Exactly...right now, I think Brière is a better center than Desharnais.

Things can change between now and the end of the year...but for God's sake, coaching staff needs to do something.

They're not even doing HIM any favors

Old
10-10-2013, 10:05 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Well the coaching staff somehow manages to play Desharnais at center for 18 mins a game...

Do you really think Brière is worst than Desharnais defensively?
It's a good point since either way you'll have someone with the same problem defensively.

I guess I just don't see much of a point either way though. Either way they're very similar players. Lack defensive responsibility, small, seem to post similar kind of production, and are coming off a bad season with zero points thus far this season. If it had anything to do with me I'd just place whoever is better at face-offs there (I know Briere is pretty average at it, don't know about Desharnais). If they're similar in that regard as well I just don't think it matters really.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:08 AM
HNS*

The Habs lost last night because their work ethic sucked ass. There's no reason they couldn't have played most of the game like they played the last 15 minutes of it. Too many passengers!!!

HNS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
After the game RDS is closed for me. Turned on at 8, closed at buzzer.
same HERE man, just wish others would follow suit

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
Why is it that l'antichambre never wants to talk about how Therrien uses his lines?
your seriously asking this?

Old
10-10-2013, 10:14 AM

Quote:
It's a good point since either way you'll have someone with the same problem defensively.

I guess I just don't see much of a point either way though. Either way they're very similar players. Lack defensive responsibility, small, seem to post similar kind of production, and are coming off a bad season with zero points thus far this season. If it had anything to do with me I'd just place whoever is better at face-offs there (I know Briere is pretty average at it, don't know about Desharnais). If they're similar in that regard as well I just don't think it matters really.
Yeah, but the Habs need to play the cards they are dealt...

Brière happens to be a pretty good playmaker, he can still thread the needle and he's also a decent shooter, something Desharnais just can't do.

So he's more of a dual threat than Desharnais who ALWAYS looks to pass..

Old
10-10-2013, 10:16 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Yeah, but the Habs need to play the cards they are dealt...

Brière happens to be a pretty good playmaker, he can still thread the needle and he's also a decent shooter, something Desharnais just can't do.

So he's more of a dual threat than Desharnais who ALWAYS looks to pass..
How is Desharnais on face-offs?

Yeah that's true about Briere. I always thought his best asset, at least in his time with Philly, was by far his shot. Guy can snipe really well so I'm surprised he isn't more of a goal scorer then he is throughout his career.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:17 AM
zzoo

While Tinordi is clearly better than Komisarek and OByrne were with us in their early career, he hasn't impressed me. I like Beaulieu more.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM
29dryden29

They all looked bad last night. Tinordi on his giveaway on the second goal PK trying to put the puck through the net rather than a quick wrister with an empty net and shooting it wide then his terrible penalty in the last 2 min of the game. Awfull all the way around.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
My God people, everyone shut the **** up, and chill the **** out...

As fans our goals for this team should be:

A) Make the playoffs.
B) Be healthy come playoffs.
C) Be playing our best come playoffs.

Overanalyzing crap this early in the season is insane.
mind blowing really. but the D does look a little suspect already.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:27 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
While Tinordi is clearly better than Komisarek and OByrne were with us in their early career, he hasn't impressed me. I like Beaulieu more.
He has been easy to knock off the puck out of position and not quick with outlets which on our team spells disaster.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:30 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
I grew up in the 70's during the time when the Habs were in a different league from every other team. To see this mediocrity year after year is not fun. I swear that no matter what they do, replace coaches, replace the GM, bring in new players, things don't change. Sad era in which to be a die hard Hab fan
X1000 as a 60s baby and seeing the glory of the 70s this has brought a tear to my eyes. Not a good one either.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:36 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Why does Max needs to be a true power forward? He doesn't need that to be productive.

Max is more of a sniper.
Well ok, I guess I made a mistake by stating that Max Pac isn't a first line winger if he doesn't play like a power forward. I agree it was a bad comment that minimalize what he brings to the game.

But I do think that since the half season last year, he doesn't play that well, at least not like a true first line sniper. But I also agree that it could very well be because of Desharnais' poor play.

My main point, in fact, is that if Max Pac doesn't turn out to be a power forward (which is ok), it means that at some point, Bergevin will have to find one to build a balanced team. And since I don't think any prospect will be ready to play that role with a certain impact before another 3-5 years, Bergevin will have to trade for one, or to sign one at an overpayment price.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:38 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
To be fair, Frankie B and DD are already in full scapegoat mode. Briere has made some nice plays but has more than anything been lucky that someone on his line has sucked worse than him. Should he be absolved of all blame? No, but he's playing out of his natural position with the worst forward on our team right now as his center. Can't be fun.

And I'm someone who wasn't much a fan of the Briere signing, so take that for what it's worth.
He hasn't played himself off of that horrid line, and for his salary he should be an example not a passenger. I held an ounce of comfort thinking .. if anything.. maybe he would help the PP. So far, nothing, he's just terrible.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:46 AM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs Junkie View Post
Since the beginning of the season total PP time:
Desharnais 10:28
Eller 9:20
Plekanec 6:00

Therrien is a joke
Plekanec is a better powerplay guy than Desharnais... Always was... And I'm a Desharnais defender.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Plekanec, I keep saying it, and I know it seems to offend a lot of you...but he was again invisible. He never does anything to make you notice him negatively, but he rarely does anything these days, to make you notice he's playing at all. He's been a passenger for too long when he should be one of the leaders...
See, when Plekanec's line is out there, I see him get the puck all the time. Problem becomes, what to do with it? When the rush is in full swing, Bourque and Gionta can sometimes make themselves look dangerous. When it comes to developing something from more of a "routine" puck retrieval, or scrum/board battle, though, they hardly ever seem to react/move quickly enough to either support the puck and actually make themselves viable passing/counter-attacking options.

Seriously, Plekanec seems to get the puck quite often, so how is it that Bourque and Gionta have only combined for 13 shots so far over 3 games, while the EGG line has generated 20 shots from the wings alone (besides the number of shots that Gionta has taken which don't count because he missed the net completely)? Plekanec is almost always forced to dump the puck in, and if he doesn't also retrieve the puck himself, it's going back the other way.

He's a coverage/puck distribution centre. He'll always be the lynch pin when it comes to the neutral/defensive zones, but he'll only be as dangerous offensively as the guys on his wings.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote