HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

I've Said Nothing Until Now...

Old
12-01-2006, 10:13 AM
Better With Age*

vCash: 500
I've Said Nothing Until Now...

But TSN's power rankings are a bleeping joke and ditto for CBS sportline.

What possible reasoning could place the Leafs (a) where they have them and (b) ahead of the Habs?

It's bloody ridiculous

I know RDS is biased too so I can give TSN come slack for that, but what's up with CBS?

ESPN has it much better and so does Fox Sports.

Insane, simple insane.

And yes I know it means nothing yadda yadda, but what the point of making rankings that are that far off.

Goldstein is an idiot of the highest order when it comes to his hockey knowledge...

Better With Age* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:18 AM
Kostitsyn404*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
But TSN's power rankings are a bleeping joke and ditto for CBS sportline.

What possible reasoning could place the Leafs (a) where they have them and (b) ahead of the Habs?

It's bloody ridiculous

I know RDS is biased too so I can give TSN come slack for that, but what's up with CBS?

ESPN has it much better and so does Fox Sports.

Insane, simple insane.

And yes I know it means nothing yadda yadda, but what the point of making rankings that are that far off.

Goldstein is an idiot of the highest order when it comes to his hockey knowledge...
Everyone except for RDS is biased against the habs.

Kostitsyn404* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:19 AM
Habbadasher

Guy, every year we have multiple threads on this tpic, and we have had a few already this season.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Better With Age*

I know and I've seen them. But this is the first week where I finally said "man that is ridiculous".

I mean every other week you could say "ok, I know you lean towards Toronto and if you line all the facts up just right you could possibly justify that".

But now?!!

There is no statistical argument that you could possibly use to justify putting Toronto where they are. I just wish there was some way to hold them accountable and make them try and justify it. That would be entertainment.

TSN should make it a weekly feature to have a panel discussion to look at their rankings and let fans phone in or e-mail in etc...

When Montreal gets done playing their 3 games in hand they'll likely be 5 points ahead of Toronto, which is huge considering Toronto is only 4 points above 13th and nearly everyone below them has games in hand. Boston has 4 for crying out loud.

Old
12-01-2006, 12:11 PM
Le Maroons

Try this one, they have the Habs in 5th, and Leafs in 13th. Don't look at the tsn one.

Le Maroons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:43 PM
IcE ColD

Send a message via MSN to IcE ColD
Is it me or such a thread pop each time they have new rankings?

IcE ColD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:47 PM
vcx*

Why wouldn't the leafs rank higher? Their goaltending is solid if Razor is hurt, with no Sundin they seem to score goals like he was never gone, they earned it.

We have some shoddy players that just don't perform every night, plus those rankings don't mean ****. The rankings don't predict who's not going to win the cup or win it, it's just for ****'s n giggles.

vcx* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:49 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcE ColD View Post
Is it me or such a thread pop each time they have new rankings?
Usually we get two or three each time they have new rankings.

I still refuse to believe that math is biased against the habs. TSN does their power rankings according to a formula, and the guy who is actually in charge of their power rankings is a huge habs homer.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:36 PM
Better With Age*

If this is true I'd love to see the math, since the Habs best the Leafs in every statistical category. Better Win%, better pp, better pk, better goal differential, better results in most recent games, etc....

There is not one mathematical reason to rank them higher - none. That's why I finally had to complain. I've said nothing to this point but statistically we're improving all the time compared to them yet TSN seems blind to this fact as well as CBS. The rest have us higher - ESPN, Fox etc...

Old
12-01-2006, 06:03 PM
Squeaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Better With Age View Post
If this is true I'd love to see the math, since the Habs best the Leafs in every statistical category. Better Win%, better pp, better pk, better goal differential, better results in most recent games, etc....

There is not one mathematical reason to rank them higher - none. That's why I finally had to complain. I've said nothing to this point but statistically we're improving all the time compared to them yet TSN seems blind to this fact as well as CBS. The rest have us higher - ESPN, Fox etc...
Obviously their formula is not public knowledge. This is all the information out there on it that I know of:

Quote:
Power Rankings are produced using a formula that takes into account a compilation of individual player grades based on statistical production. More importantly, the team grades intend to take into account which players are in the lineup to replace those who are out due to injury or suspension and aim to reflect which team would win a seven-game series on a neutral rink.
To say that there is no stat that has the leafs ahead of the habs is pretty silly.

- I know the formula takes into account injuries, so the Leafs get a boost for Sundin coming back, and the habs are still down a little because Higgins is out.

- At the time of the last rankings, the leafs had scored 12 goals in their last 3 games, while the habs had only 8. The leafs also had a pretty big blowout in there, 7-1 over Washington, which the formula may give them a bonus for.

- Montreal was coming off a loss to Florida, one of the worst teams in the league. The formula probably gives weight to who you beat and who beat you, so that would be a big drain on the habs.

Now like I said, I don't know how the formula actually works. You could e-mail Scott Cullen and ask him why the Leafs beat out the habs if you really want to know.

Squeaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 08:17 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeaky View Post
Usually we get two or three each time they have new rankings.

I still refuse to believe that math is biased against the habs. TSN does their power rankings according to a formula, and the guy who is actually in charge of their power rankings is a huge habs homer.
You didn't know? Pythagorus was a huge Leafs fan!

All kidding aside, I agree with you. TSN's rankings, along with USA Today's and more I'm sure, are done using formulas that use stats from the past week (TSN's/Scott Cullen actually uses discounted statistics from the whole season, I think). However, I know that CNNSI's don't -- it's just some dude ranking the teams, like Dr. Z with his NFL rankings.

12-02-2006, 03:04 AM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

the only rankings i care about are the standings.

whats the big fascination over power rankings?

They are so subjective

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote