HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 News & Notes

Closed Thread

Old
09-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplySensational View Post
Flyers went 1-5-0 in the preseason and missed the playoffs last year.
More importantly do they even have a single Channel One Cup veteran on their team? Smh bovada.

Old
10-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

NHLPA approves hybrid icing for the regular season.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 0
I think that broken ankle was the straw that broke the camels back.

Old
10-01-2013, 03:28 PM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

They should have implemented it after Peake shattered his ankle. Everyone will get used to it, but it is the right decision, IMO.

Old
10-01-2013, 04:26 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Pitkanen and Peake shattered their heels. Foster broke his femur.

Old
10-01-2013, 06:38 PM
Millhaus

Gotta say that Kessel deal makes me like Ovechkin's so much more...

Old
10-01-2013, 07:02 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Gotta say that Kessel deal makes me like Ovechkin's so much more...
No kidding. I wouldn't pay that money for Kessel no how.

Old
10-02-2013, 10:50 AM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Katie Carrera ‏@kcarrera 1m
#Caps holding an optional skate this morning. Ovechkin, Grabovski and Laich are the only players not taking part.

Bad leaders. What will the Ovechkin haters do if their beloved Laich skipped it too?

Old
10-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

For what it's worth, I wouldn't hold a practice off against a guy who just flew back from Greece a day before last night's game. He's obviously tired.

Laich is also obviously injured.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:01 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

I just heard on 106.7 that Ovi is frist star of the week.

They also mentioned, the caps were outscored 7-1 at even strength. Hardly breaking news.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:06 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

They also mentioned, the caps were outscored 7-1 at even strength. Hardly breaking news.
Even strength/schmeevin strength....we have the mighty PP come playoff time that will save us all!

Old
10-07-2013, 01:12 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Scott Schmevens?

I just hope O'sie doesn't justify not shaking up his lines because "we" are scoring.

Yes having a big lead our PP, we can hunker down and dont need to score.

But at the same time, mega PP goals masks the any issues with his lines.

Old
10-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

It's actually 8-3 at ES. While that looks better than 7-1 (though not much), it gets even more concerning when you look at how all 3 ES goals were scored. One was Carrick's breakaway, which was the result of a bad change. Another was Ovechkin's off a faceoff. The other was Grabovski's 2-on-1 against Chicago. None of them have been scored off the cycle or during a prolonged offensive possession. Only Ovechkin's comes from a set play or event you hope is repeatable (and even it requiers terrific execution and good luck).

Old
10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

2 on 1s and breakaways aren't repeatable.

Well if you say so....

Old
10-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
http://www.csnwashington.com/hockey-...respect-league

I really didn't miss this team during their time off. Less talking, more producing.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

I really didn't miss this team during their time off. Less talking, more producing.
Meh. His own coach more or less said the same thing.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post

Seems to me that Gormley was asking them about it specifically. What are they supposed to do? Dodge the question? I don't think they brought it up with the intention of bashing Hertl so much as Gormley is just a bad reporter.

Old
10-10-2013, 12:49 PM
Millhaus

Where was the outrage when Malik made the same move against the Caps in that long shootout in '06?

The celebration? Sure, why celebrate the 8-2 goal? But the goal itself? Who gives a krap how he scored it? Every guy in this league does stuff when it doesn't really matter anymore that they likely wouldn't do when it does.

Is a goaltender shooting on a empty net with a 2 goal lead disrespecting the game? I mean there is a reason you very rarely see it tried with a one goal lead. So where is the outrage?

This is BS. And if it had been a young Canadian kid doing it nobody would have said anything...

Old
10-10-2013, 01:06 PM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Meh. His own coach more or less said the same thing.
True enough. McLellan has more to be concerned about and that's retribution. What I'd take issue with is that it actually disrespects the game in any fashion. It may disrespect the opposition and, hence, invite retribution but that's different. That's on Hertl and his teammates. Portraying it as some sort of affront to the game itself is laughable.

Though, in fairness to Oates, all even-strength goals might seem rather unsporting.

Old
10-10-2013, 01:12 PM
Chokingdogs

Quote:
Where was the outrage when Malik made the same move against the Caps in that long shootout in '06?

The celebration? Sure, why celebrate the 8-2 goal? But the goal itself? Who gives a krap how he scored it? Every guy in this league does stuff when it doesn't really matter anymore that they likely wouldn't do when it does.

Is a goaltender shooting on a empty net with a 2 goal lead disrespecting the game? I mean there is a reason you very rarely see it tried with a one goal lead. So where is the outrage?

This is BS. And if it had been a young Canadian kid doing it nobody would have said anything...
the bettman special is mockery as it is, so it was nbd when malik did it. besides, if he didnt score the next lineup card handed to the officials would have included the trainer and an assistant coach. get the darn thing over with.

im sure good puck skilled goalies have the green light for that on an EN situation, knowing the icing risk, which is why it doesnt happen often and almost never happens in a 1 goal game.

to your last point, i kind of doubt that, anybody that did it probably would have been called out. but the odds of a good old farm raised canadian from medicine hat rookie doing it are exceedingly remote.

Old
10-10-2013, 01:19 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

And that's why Brooks Laich isn't captain.

"Ovi don't celebrate, tone it down!"

Old
10-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
the bettman special is mockery as it is, so it was nbd when malik did it. besides, if he didnt score the next lineup card handed to the officials would have included the trainer and an assistant coach. get the darn thing over with.

im sure good puck skilled goalies have the green light for that on an EN situation, knowing the icing risk, which is why it doesnt happen often and almost never happens in a 1 goal game.
Which is exactly my point. The reason some are complaining is that he did it for the 8-2 goal. That he only did it because it didn't matter and since he very likely would never have tried that in tighter game he was disrespecting the game.

The 15th round of the shootout doesn't matter so nobody said squat. Would Malik or anyone else have likely tried the same move in the 1st round? Probably not. So why wasn't Malik disrespecting the game?

A decent puck handling goaltender shooting on an empty net with a 2+ goal lead doesn't matter. But do you see it happening nearly as often with only a one goal lead? Nope. So why isn't it disrespecting the game when it happens with a 2+ goal lead?

Old
10-10-2013, 01:27 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

How dare someone have fun while playing a game!

Old
10-10-2013, 01:31 PM
Halpysback*

Perhaps Oates could try respecting the fact that not every line in the NHL needs to have a Hull and Oates dynamic (how many cups did they win again) and there are dozens of players who can successfully play on their off wing or defensive off side and are in fact better there.

Or maybe he could try respecting the fact that even strength is a thing and that shutdown lines are a thing.

Nah...

Old
10-10-2013, 02:14 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Which is exactly my point. The reason some are complaining is that he did it for the 8-2 goal. That he only did it because it didn't matter and since he very likely would never have tried that in tighter game he was disrespecting the game.

The 15th round of the shootout doesn't matter so nobody said squat. Would Malik or anyone else have likely tried the same move in the 1st round? Probably not. So why wasn't Malik disrespecting the game?

A decent puck handling goaltender shooting on an empty net with a 2+ goal lead doesn't matter. But do you see it happening nearly as often with only a one goal lead? Nope. So why isn't it disrespecting the game when it happens with a 2+ goal lead?
http://www.japersrink.com/2012/1/4/2...ic-objectivity

I think you can ask this Eric Francis guy and he would hook you with all you need to know.

Canada (where most of the rabble rousing hockey community generates stories from) notoriously gets ******** when foreign players "disrespect" the game.

When Bobby Clark breaks Kharlamov's leg thats good hard play. When Alexander Semin lays a clean hit on Dan Boyle with the game out of reach (remember Boyle went back at him with a vicious slew foot that he SHOULD have been suspended for) then he is a *******.

Closed Thread