HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette, fired |Craig Berube new head coach (two-year contract, per Tim P.)

Old
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He is in rehab in Russia ...I posted it somewhere at one point.
Only Jay Rosehill could top his one night bender.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 12:36 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It would be better offensively right now if they promoted Read and dropped one of Hartnell or Simmonds to the third line.
Would like to see Read up on the top line. He would be a better option right now then Hartnell and Simmonds. both those guys are stinking it up.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:46 PM
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog

The Craig Berube song, by the Ramada Gods

Written by a Calgary band back in 1993, when Berube was on the team. Something about inadvertently hitting on Craig Berube's girlfriend and having to deal with an enraged Craig Berube.

/Berube
//shattered shattered

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:55 PM
Harold Bingo
what

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post

Written by a Calgary band back in 1993, when Berube was on the team. Something about inadvertently hitting on Craig Berube's girlfriend and having to deal with an enraged Craig Berube.

/Berube
//shattered shattered
Thanks for posting. I have the chorus stuck in my head.

Harold Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:07 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie Goldthorpe View Post

/Berube
//shattered shattered

Edit:

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:19 PM
Hiesenberg

Apparently Lappy's main project is to get Rinaldo on the PK.

I'll admit, that'll be something to see. Rinaldo is a very quick skater, so it could be very beneficial to the Flyers

Hiesenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:23 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
Apparently Lappy's main project is to get Rinaldo on the PK.

I'll admit, that'll be something to see. Rinaldo is a very quick skater, so it could be very beneficial to the Flyers
He's done it in the AHL and has gotten looks in preseason the past two yrs.

That would make him a great 4th liner IMO. Hope this is true.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Roman Reigns

I remember Lavi mentioning the same thing about Rinaldo, ya know becoming a pk'er. Idk why it never happened but it's nice to hear he will be given the chance to expand his role. Lappy was a great pk'er so he's learning from the right guy.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Curufinwe

And it gives Rinaldo even more of an incentive to keep his skates on the ice and his shoulders/elbows low when he hits. Can't kill any penalties if he's the one in the box.

Against Carolina and Florida he did a great job of not giving the refs and opportunity to make a reputation call.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:20 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2360
Interesting quote here...

Quote:
“We’ll be fine,” right wing Jake Voracek said. “We’ve just got to be smarter without the puck. That’s what Chief’s saying. We were running around like chickens without our heads. Everybody tried to be everywhere and all the confusion happened.”
http://www.courierpostonline.com/art...nclick_check=1

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Makes sense. They looked very much like a team that needed to scrap everything they were doing and get back to basics.

10-10-2013, 04:57 PM
Curufinwe

I want to be positive about Berube but this experiment of playing Simmonds and Hartnell with Giroux seems doomed to failure. G and Voracek were great together last year.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:00 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I want to be positive about Berube but this experiment of playing Simmonds and Hartnell with Giroux seems doomed to failure. G and Voracek were great together last year.
It works out great on the PP, but thats the PP. Maybe in offensive zones it would be a nightmare. Hartnell really needs to get going. With his caphit he needs to produce

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:05 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
They played 1 game together give it at least a few games.

Giroux himself needs to get it going out of anybody on this team, a player of his caliber should be carrying a line.

Old
10-10-2013, 05:08 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
So were Voracek and Schenn.

I agree it's important to get G going, cause he's the guy, but a player of his caliber shouldn't have to play with someone to get going.

To be honest in the short period they were together, they didn't look very good. In fact they were invisible. Voracek, Vinny and Schenn were our best line last game. I think they need to stick things out a bit and see how things turn out. Lavi's style was to try 80 different combo's per game but I think that was counterproductive to developing "chemistry".

Old
10-10-2013, 10:21 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
So were Voracek and Schenn.

I agree it's important to get G going, cause he's the guy, but a player of his caliber shouldn't have to play with someone to get going.

To be honest in the short period they were together, they didn't look very good. In fact they were invisible. Voracek, Vinny and Schenn were our best line last game. I think they need to stick things out a bit and see how things turn out. Lavi's style was to try 80 different combo's per game but I think that was counterproductive to developing "chemistry".
The Couts line was easily the best line vs Florida.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:38 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
The Couts line was easily the best line vs Florida.
I disagree

Old
10-10-2013, 11:20 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

I don't know, I think a case could be made for it. While they didn't have any flashy scoring chances they were consistently applying forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. They regularly generated shot opportunities. Looked like that line was possibly starting to click more and more as the game went on. We'll see if there's some real chemistry forming there or if it was a flash in the pan.

Edit: They're helped by other lines not looking good.

Lecavalier is carrying his line on his own right now, but I thought Couturier's was starting to show more chemisty.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 10-10-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:00 AM
Danko
...the way she goes

vCash: 420
Quote:
And it gives Rinaldo even more of an incentive to keep his skates on the ice and his shoulders/elbows low when he hits. Can't kill any penalties if he's the one in the box.

Against Carolina and Florida he did a great job of not giving the refs and opportunity to make a reputation call.
Ive been wanting to say this all week.

Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 12:12 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't know, I think a case could be made for it. While they didn't have any flashy scoring chances they were consistently applying forechecking pressure in the offensive zone. They regularly generated shot opportunities. Looked like that line was possibly starting to click more and more as the game went on. We'll see if there's some real chemistry forming there or if it was a flash in the pan.

Edit: They're helped by other lines not looking good.

Lecavalier is carrying his line on his own right now, but I thought Couturier's was starting to show more chemisty.
That's the main reason why I think people really need to lay off the "we need more talent next to Giroux" theory. They've been switching a few guys around with Vinny & his lines have been pretty consistent so far through the four games.

Old
10-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Jtown

I Had a daydream that Giroux would struggle this year but would be selected to the canadian olympic team where he would explode as a winger with Eric Staal Centering him.

When the season restarts Berube puts him on the wing of Couturier and he explodes.

Just a daydream but could be interesting.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:19 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
That's the main reason why I think people really need to lay off the "we need more talent next to Giroux" theory. They've been switching a few guys around with Vinny & his lines have been pretty consistent so far through the four games.
While I agree that Giroux should produce regardless of which one of our scoring wingers he's paired with, he's currently paired with probably the worst pair possible. Two guys that are good for 30 G and 50 to 60 P even at their best, that play a very similar net crashing game, and also one of them is Hartnell. Probably our most under performing forward this season and has consistency issues throughout the seasons. He also falls down a lot.

EDIT: Also, his favorite pass is a slap pass.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:43 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Giroux has certainly been trying to force things too much to his detriment. But the situation is definitely made worse by Simmonds and Hartnell's play right now. I like that they're both hustling their ***** off, but they're hustling to do the wrong thing or flub.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:51 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Giroux has certainly been trying to force things too much to his detriment. But the situation is definitely made worse by Simmonds and Hartnell's play right now. I like that they're both hustling their ***** off, but they're hustling to do the wrong thing or flub.
Yeah, it's not black-and-white on Giroux or not on Giroux like others like to argue about. It's both on Giroux and the bad winger selection.

I have faith that Simmonds will rebound when the rest of the team does. He's much younger then Hartnell and has been more consistent throughout his young career plus he's been trending upward since he got here (if you discount the games this season which is too small a sample size anyhow). Plus I've never heard of Simmonds being as, shall we say, thoughtless as Hartnell in terms of plays. For instance, I don't think I've ever heard of Simmonds being a league leader in minor penalties nor throwing his glove at an opposing player on a breakaway.

I mean, this is far from the first time Hartnell has hit a slump here. Nothing really new with him. Kind of is for Simmonds.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:15 AM
BillDineen

Given G's extension (as I said when signed it was a year too soon) he should be producing at at least .75 ppg regardless of playing with Voracek or with a Talbot equivalent, let alone Hartnell or Simmonds or else he will be grossly overpaid. He will be paid at a level that assumes he makes people around him much better.

I do think he will play better going forward and believe he has the ability to play up to his contract extension, but he didn't do it at the start of last year and he is not doing it now.

BillDineen is offline   Reply With Quote