HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Matt Cullen?

Old
12-01-2006, 08:40 PM
Yizee*

vCash: 500
Matt Cullen?

Is it just me or is Matt Cullen not scoring many goals? I thought we got him to score goals for us? I say we trade him and get someone better

Yizee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:12 PM
Noonan25

He is a thrid line center

Noonan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:43 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
His lack of ability on the second line is just glaring...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 10:53 PM
Chimp

How are you supposed to trade a third line center with a $3.1 million salary? Rangers are the masters of overpayment.

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:15 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
I like the guy. I'm hoping that he comes around.

I can't put my finger on it, but maybe he just needs on goal to release the flood gates. The effort is certainly there, the chances are as well... just missing the finish -- same as Prucha.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Disappointing to hear people think Cullen is a waste. Either they dont understand that he is not a true 2nd line center (who leads the team in faceoff %) or they are just blind to his assets.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:45 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

I have nothing against him on the 2nd line.

He still is doing things on the ice, maybe its not showing up on the scoresheet but he's still a upgrade over Rucchin was.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:09 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Remeber that when the Rangers acquired him all the talk was to get him on that point for the PP to utilize his shot yet we never see it on the top PP unit. There are plenty of points he would have picked up if he had been there all year.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:33 AM
TheRedressor

yeah sometimes Renney puzzles me. I would love to see him on the PP on the point instead of Rozsival.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:46 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
yeah sometimes Renney puzzles me. I would love to see him on the PP on the point instead of Rozsival.
agreed and id love to see Tyutin on the PP more as well. He has a good shot from the point.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Edge

I knowI beat the drum about expectations and raising the bar, but this is an example of why.

People had the wrong expectations for Cullen and even Ward for that matter. So for somethis is actually a surprise.

Cullen plays good two way hockey, can chip in some points, can take faceoffs and has good speed.

In a phrase, he is a very nice third line center. That's where he performs, that's what got him this contract.

But that's not where he's playing.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:27 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
MAYBE we should use him on the point on the powerplay, eh?

Renney needs to wake the **** up and try this.

I'm slowly getting fed up with this team.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:30 AM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
MAYBE we should use him on the point on the powerplay, eh?

Renney needs to wake the **** up and try this.

I'm slowly getting fed up with this team.
Amen. I think all of us want that done.

I'm definitely with you at the fed up part as well. I get frusturated the way the team is coached, line combinations, reluctance of experimentation with Hartford players. I'm generally quick tempered though so could just be me.

Old
12-02-2006, 01:33 AM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterUnspoken View Post
Amen. I think all of us want that done.

I'm definitely with you at the fed up part as well. I get frusturated the way the team is coached, line combinations, reluctance of experimentation with Hartford players. I'm generally quick tempered though so could just be me.
If our coach continues to misuse our young players, I hope he is canned.

I honestly like Renney and I know he loves being part of the organization and all, but the continuing BARE MINIMUM use of our Hartford players is extremely bad coaching and extremely hypocritical.

EvilCorporateLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:43 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
If our coach continues to misuse our young players, I hope he is canned.

I honestly like Renney and I know he loves being part of the organization and all, but the continuing BARE MINIMUM use of our Hartford players is extremely bad coaching and extremely hypocritical.
I totally agree. now who would take his place???? anyone know if Kevin Constatine had a good relationship with Jagr and his friends??? I know he coached the Pens and is a good coach but has been out of the NHL for a bit but has had a winning record in the NHL and has had a good record in the WHL and coached Ivan Baranka in juniors

Old
12-02-2006, 03:13 AM
DontStaal

i dont have a prob with him, but the guy doesnt pass!

its all speed, which can't always do it

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Cullen gives offense in fits and starts. He started off fairly hot, but then eased off this year it appears. He's due to hit a real stride here before too long. It was the same way with Carolina last year. He'd go 10 games without scoring a goal, and then net 5 or 6 in the next 10. Streaky player, but never a liability out there.

He played fantastic on the point for Carolina last year as well. I really think our PP is missing him right now. As well as in the shootout. Has Renney been using him there?

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:22 PM
Finest
Puck Fittsburg

Personally I like the guy, he is quick, smart with the puck and although he hasnt scored a ton this season, actually I think he is at like 3 or 4 but regaurdless he is one of the hardest working Rangers this season. I always like to think that the good things come to hard working players, so for that alone I like what I see thus far. Ofcourse I would perfer him to start finding the back of the net more, but I honestly cant complain with his performace. As Caniac said he is a streaky player but never a liability out on the ice. But I know I would like to see him on the point on the PP thats for sure, if only for one game.

Finest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 02:40 PM
MisterUnspoken
Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post
Cullen gives offense in fits and starts. He started off fairly hot, but then eased off this year it appears. He's due to hit a real stride here before too long. It was the same way with Carolina last year. He'd go 10 games without scoring a goal, and then net 5 or 6 in the next 10. Streaky player, but never a liability out there.

He played fantastic on the point for Carolina last year as well. I really think our PP is missing him right now. As well as in the shootout. Has Renney been using him there?
Renney misuses all of our players except Straka-Nylander-Jagr

Asking him to put Cullen on the point might disrupt that awesome Roszival point setup that works oh so well.

Old
12-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caniacforever View Post

Nope and nope. I also wonder why Tyutin isn't used at all in the PP. I'm suprised the announcers haven't said "and here we go for another Jag... PP."

If Jagr would get injured, this team would collapse like a house of cards *cough* playoffs vs. the Devils *cough*. Although there is more truth behind that, that was one of the bigger reasons. And Rangers aren't helping themselves to be able to make it on their own IF Jagr would get cold or whatever by not testing other ways around him.

Exactly how prepared are we for something bad to happen that will force us to change game plans? Have we tried Cullen? Have we tested Tyutin? Have we tested anything?

Last edited by Chimp: 12-02-2006 at 02:47 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:05 PM
peteo

Matt Cullen

How about Calder for Cullen. Change might help both.

peteo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:06 PM
zacn

The Rangers are the masters of overpaying but I think there is a reason for it, mainly, the high cost of living in the city. Players want a certain level of living no matter where they go and the extra money the rangers pay people is for that i think. Otherwise, just the lure of NYC would be enough to probably underpay players like cullen to come here.

zacn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 03:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Nope and nope. I also wonder why Tyutin isn't used at all in the PP. I'm suprised the announcers haven't said "and here we go for another Jag... PP."

If Jagr would get injured, this team would collapse like a house of cards *cough* playoffs vs. the Devils *cough*. Although there is more truth behind that, that was one of the bigger reasons. And Rangers aren't helping themselves to be able to make it on their own IF Jagr would get cold or whatever by not testing other ways around him.

Exactly how prepared are we for something bad to happen that will force us to change game plans? Have we tried Cullen? Have we tested Tyutin? Have we tested anything?

Renney is as predictable as a one of the sopranos beating the crap out of someone

Old
12-02-2006, 03:09 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Quote:
Originally Posted by zacn View Post
The Rangers are the masters of overpaying but I think there is a reason for it, mainly, the high cost of living in the city. Players want a certain level of living no matter where they go and the extra money the rangers pay people is for that i think. Otherwise, just the lure of NYC would be enough to probably underpay players like cullen to come here.
they not only overpay players, they also overplay the crappy ones, name one team that malik or rozsival would be a number one pairing on besides a team that is bad.

Old
12-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Fletch

Waste? No. Misused?

yes. People forget that Cullen has scored 20+ goals once in his career, and never really was a playmaker. Once. Sather signed him as a cheap option to the second line, and a bridge to the next second line centerman. It's not his fault there isn't a second line centerman doing that job. That's first of all. Second of all, he played well on the PP point last season. He had 8 goals and 10 assists on the PP last season - he has zero goals and two assists this season (with zero time on the point, despite this team's pointmen being mediocre). There's your difference. The Rangers are the kinds of misusing players, and often acquiring players and playing them in a different role. It hasn't ended with Sather, and hasn't ended with winning. Cullen plays hard. He's a good player. But he's mostly being misused.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote