HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Some observations of last night...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2004, 05:06 AM
  #1
Blueski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
Some observations of last night...

I was at the game, courtesy of my boss who generously gives his tickets when he will be out of town travelling. He just never seems to be gone when Detroit is here :p

Anyway, I get more from watching the game live than on tv. Some more observations:

Pollock played very well. Did not seem to be confused at all about his assignment or what he was there to do. Does have a VERY impressive shot with a quick release! (Not Mac or Hull, but very nice to say the least).

Khavanov does not even seem to know his assignment. Besides his play on 2 of the goals, he about gave them a 3rd when he went behind the net with a player that was already covered! And it wasn't like right behind the net and the puck was exposed either. This was almost in the corner and he should have been in the slot with the guy standing in front of Divis. I really don't think he is long for the Bluenote.

Never realized just how fast Weight is or how physical he is. He was hitting everything!!! I liken his game to a Geoff Courtnall with better scoring and playmaking ability.

LaFlamme should join Khavanov whereever he goes.

Mellanby is just too dang slow in the third period. He needs to play a little more sparingly in the first two periods if they want to use him at all in the third. I know he has heart, but come on.

And the more I see of Niklaus and Rycroft, the more I like them. Danton always seemed to get the puck from someone. And Salvador needs to add about 10 pounds of muscle.

Backmann is almost more impressive to me than Jackman last year. This kid knows how to play and when to pinch. Almost "Prongeresque" with passing (relax, I said ALMOST). He will be a more than adequate replacement for Al when Al decides that he can no longer play.

Blueski is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 09:51 AM
  #2
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
Liek i said in the other post, tkachuk was at fault for the 1 goal. He didnt even attempt to skate back up ice giving clb basically a small pp.

topshelf331 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 11:48 AM
  #3
Blueski
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Southern Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 576
vCash: 500
One other thing I wanted to add that I think is relevant right now.

During the pregame warmups, where everyone was taking their turn shooting at the goalie, Divis looked good. Square to the shooter and just nice positioning.

However, Osgood consistently was beaten by shots (except Bear...lol) and got back on his skates very slowly afterward. This lends fuel to the thought that he is tired from having to play so many games and I believe that he is not entirely healthy yet.

I know that this was just the warmups, but I have seen a few games earlier this season and Ozzie looked much better then than he does now.

Anyone have any thoughts on this??

Blueski is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 12:45 PM
  #4
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Most goaltenders don't put too much effort into their pregame warmup... Divis put more than the normal goaltender would.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 12:57 PM
  #5
Plager05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sewers
Posts: 2,430
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueski
I was at the game, courtesy of my boss who generously gives his tickets when he will be out of town travelling. He just never seems to be gone when Detroit is here :p

Anyway, I get more from watching the game live than on tv. Some more observations:

Pollock played very well. Did not seem to be confused at all about his assignment or what he was there to do. Does have a VERY impressive shot with a quick release! (Not Mac or Hull, but very nice to say the least).

Khavanov does not even seem to know his assignment. Besides his play on 2 of the goals, he about gave them a 3rd when he went behind the net with a player that was already covered! And it wasn't like right behind the net and the puck was exposed either. This was almost in the corner and he should have been in the slot with the guy standing in front of Divis. I really don't think he is long for the Bluenote.

Never realized just how fast Weight is or how physical he is. He was hitting everything!!! I liken his game to a Geoff Courtnall with better scoring and playmaking ability.

LaFlamme should join Khavanov whereever he goes.

Mellanby is just too dang slow in the third period. He needs to play a little more sparingly in the first two periods if they want to use him at all in the third. I know he has heart, but come on.

And the more I see of Niklaus and Rycroft, the more I like them. Danton always seemed to get the puck from someone. And Salvador needs to add about 10 pounds of muscle.

Backmann is almost more impressive to me than Jackman last year. This kid knows how to play and when to pinch. Almost "Prongeresque" with passing (relax, I said ALMOST). He will be a more than adequate replacement for Al when Al decides that he can no longer play.
I thought Pollock played ok but I don't think he's anywhere close to being a regular, besides just his overall level of play he's way to small, he needs to add lots of muscle. he looked really skinny.

I agree about Mellanby he's finally lost a step. I've counted four or five times where he has had really good chances that he could convert because he was skating too slow.

Plager05 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:09 PM
  #6
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
Most goaltenders don't put too much effort into their pregame warmup... Divis put more than the normal goaltender would.
That's Divis' normal thing...he's done that since day one here.

210 is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:15 PM
  #7
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
I didn't see any problem with Pollack's strength. In fact, the one time I saw him use his body he succeeded quite well. Byrce Salvador looks pretty skinny too but I don't think any of use would say that he can't use his body to his advantage.

My concern with Pollack is his skating. I noticed during the pre-game warmups that he looked like a poor skater going backwards. However, there was never an opportunity for the Jackets to exploit this so I'll reserve my judgement on whether or not he's ready to be a regular until I see him a few more times.

One thing is for sure, he's certainly no worse than Khavanov.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:17 PM
  #8
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
BTW... Mellanby lost a step last year with about a month and a half to go. When I pointed this out last year (not here) I was ripped into shreads for saying something negative about the mightly Mel!

This year he's lost a few more.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 02:56 PM
  #9
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 500
Maybe cutting his Ice time so he is fresher of dropping him from the top line would be appropriate, but come Playoff time a player like Mellanby will make you glad he is on your side. The man is still a warrior that gives a 100% every night?

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:53 PM
  #10
slimer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 468
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by c-carp
Maybe cutting his Ice time so he is fresher of dropping him from the top line would be appropriate, but come Playoff time a player like Mellanby will make you glad he is on your side. The man is still a warrior that gives a 100% every night?
I don't know that it will help. He has been slow even after long breaks between games. He still serves a purpose with the team, but I just don't think the Blues can really look to him for offense anymore. Maybe he needs reduced ice time because he isn't that effective, not that I think he will be more effective with less ice time. Its his leadership that is valuable.

slimer is offline  
Old
01-16-2004, 07:56 PM
  #11
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,969
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by degroat
I didn't see any problem with Pollock's strength. In fact, the one time I saw him use his body he succeeded quite well. Byrce Salvador looks pretty skinny too but I don't think any of use would say that he can't use his body to his advantage.

My concern with Pollock is his skating. I noticed during the pre-game warmups that he looked like a poor skater going backwards. However, there was never an opportunity for the Jackets to exploit this so I'll reserve my judgement on whether or not he's ready to be a regular until I see him a few more times.

One thing is for sure, he's certainly no worse than Khavanov.
Fixed.

His backward skating isn't as strong as it could be, but it hasn't hurt him all that much at the AHL level. I suspect he'll adjust his style to compensate for the quicker NHL game just fine.

210 is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 12:08 AM
  #12
c-carp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Illinois
Posts: 9,638
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimer
I don't know that it will help. He has been slow even after long breaks between games. He still serves a purpose with the team, but I just don't think the Blues can really look to him for offense anymore. Maybe he needs reduced ice time because he isn't that effective, not that I think he will be more effective with less ice time. Its his leadership that is valuable.
I agree, even if his game has slipped to that extent which I am not sure it has he will be valuable in the playoffs?

c-carp is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 06:30 AM
  #13
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
One of the big problems with Mellanby is that as his age has caught up with him, it has frustrated him to the point where he takes a lot of stupid penalties. He was VERY bad about this the last month or so of last season and he's done it a few times this year, but not as many.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 06:31 AM
  #14
degroat*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: http://nhl.degroat.n
Posts: 8,108
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Fixed.

His backward skating isn't as strong as it could be, but it hasn't hurt him all that much at the AHL level. I suspect he'll adjust his style to compensate for the quicker NHL game just fine.
I hope I get to see him a couple more times. Quenneville has a tendency to sit players after their first NHL game even with they looked good.

degroat* is offline  
Old
01-17-2004, 10:08 AM
  #15
topshelf331
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Stl
Country: United States
Posts: 2,218
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to topshelf331 Send a message via Yahoo to topshelf331
I thought pollock had a better presence on the ice than stuart. I actually liked how pollock had as much confidence as he did in his first game.

So far ,from what ive noticed ,the biggest problem with mellanby this season is his release. He just cant finnish anymore. If it isnt a perfect pass, he more than likely wont even get his stick on it. Its actually sad to witness someone with so much heart and love for the game , realize his ability to play is diminishing. You can see it on his face. He still belongs in the nhl, just not on the first line. Lets hope he is just preserving himself for one last great playoff run.

topshelf331 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.