HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

New Ice Hockey Skates

Old
11-30-2006, 09:25 PM
trueblueinboston

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
New Ice Hockey Skates

Hey all,

I guess you could say I'm a self-taught player...skating in open skates and beer leagues...but I tried out for and helped create my school's ACHA team, so i figure i've outgrown my CCM Tacks 152 skates from like 15 years ago i got in a used shop in atlanta for 10 bucks...

Anyway, what's the difference between the major brands of skates? What do you guys like/don't like?

Thanks.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 01:01 AM
Grave77digger

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblueinboston View Post
Hey all,

I guess you could say I'm a self-taught player...skating in open skates and beer leagues...but I tried out for and helped create my school's ACHA team, so i figure i've outgrown my CCM Tacks 152 skates from like 15 years ago i got in a used shop in atlanta for 10 bucks...

Anyway, what's the difference between the major brands of skates? What do you guys like/don't like?

Thanks.
You ABSOLUTLEY MUST try on skates and not just pick a nice pair off a website. They all fit different and feel different. Ive wasted a couple hundrd on skates that just didnt have the right fit for me.

Grave77digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblueinboston View Post
Hey all,

Thanks.
Fit... Each brand has it's own unique fit.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:31 PM
Doctor Hook

Send a message via AIM to Doctor Hook
I'll fully back CCM's. Try the 652s. Just be careful, some pairs are way heavuer than others.

Doctor Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 12:42 PM
hckyguy14

Send a message via Yahoo to hckyguy14
I've always been a CCM guy myself. The RBK's are pretty much a flashy model of the CCM's with a few extras.

hckyguy14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:21 PM
islesdave

Never buy a pair of skates unless you try them on first. I wear Graf 705s, They are the most comfortable boot I've had. The higher end skates are also quite stiff, they take time to break them in.

islesdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 02:38 PM
SpokaneShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Hook View Post
I'll fully back CCM's. Try the 652s. Just be careful, some pairs are way heavuer than others.
I have looked at those in the past but what I found out is that CCM is made more for people with a wide foot. I don't necessarily have a wide foot so I stick with me Bauers.

SpokaneShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Keetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpokaneShark View Post
I have looked at those in the past but what I found out is that CCM is made more for people with a wide foot. I don't necessarily have a wide foot so I stick with me Bauers.
yeah you need to find your own brand. bauers have allways fit me the best. don't be stingy when it comes to skates. spend the money its worth it.

Keetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Ri hards

http://www.epinions.com/content_3832651908

This guy does a pretty good job talking about the different brands and gives you some idea of what kind of skate you should look at getting.

Ri hards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2006, 11:22 PM
trueblueinboston

Send a message via AIM to trueblueinboston
Thanks, that website is real helpful.

trueblueinboston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 09:07 AM
Gino 14

Something else you may want to consider about skates is that not only do the boots fit differently, the whole geometery of the skates are different. By changing brands, you may find yourself having to go through a learning curve just to get used to being pitched more forward or back, depending on the skate.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 11:39 AM
NYYmt62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gino 14 View Post
Something else you may want to consider about skates is that not only do the boots fit differently, the whole geometery of the skates are different. By changing brands, you may find yourself having to go through a learning curve just to get used to being pitched more forward or back, depending on the skate.
That is very true. They will feel akward the first couple times you wear them. But the most important thing is comfort. You can adjust to the different pitch of the skate- but if they are uncomfortable you will never feel comfortable. I would recommend staying away from the Rbk and Nike skates, they are just flashy models of the CCM and Bauer skates respectively.

NYYmt62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:44 PM
Emmy Cate

Send a message via MSN to Emmy Cate Send a message via Yahoo to Emmy Cate
I love my CCM champion 90 skates, but they've had they're time and my brother used them and warped them so yeah, I'm also stuck in that situation.

like others have said above, bauer and CCM are probably your best matches, they're more affordable too. Nike and RBK are just the higher class versions of them. and the comfort and fit count too.

but there are other skate brands out there so just go to any sport store and try some on, don't by them online

Emmy Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 05:27 PM
mac-sniper

Get Grafs!!!!

mac-sniper is offline   Reply With Quote