HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Sticks: What do you use, what do you love/hate, and what's next?

Old
10-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

vCash: 500
Got the same problem. That's why the Easton patterns are intriguing, but of course I can't spend $250 on a stick to try one out.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:00 PM
youthoftoday

I was just about to step out on the ice last night for warm ups when I noticed something odd with the bottom of my blade. I thought it was a rip in the tape, which I haven't changed for a few games, but after a closer look, the blade is cracked. I was so pissed. Its the original Mako that I got it around Xmas last year and while I average about 1 game a week, I only play novice and thought I'd get more than 10 months out of it.
I've only been playing a few years and this was the 1st high end stick I bought. Even though I got a good deal, I'm now doubting I'll spend a lot on a stick again. I guess I'll start looking for an older model on clearance.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That's not bad. If I get a full season (nine months) out of a stick, I'm happy. But the clearance sticks are the way to go. High end performance at half the price. It used to be you would get shafts and blades and replace them as needed, but people don't carry them anymore and they are overpriced when they do. It's about $175 for a two-piece nowadays but you can get clearance sticks for $125.

Old
10-06-2013, 10:45 AM
PensFreak

I play high level inline, I'm usually very happy to get more than 6 months out of a stick. I have had a bunch of them lately.

The Ribcor is a fantastic stick. I've had one for a bit now and love it. Datsyuk curve is awesome. The stick has fantastic feel and pop. I also loved my Mako II, but I broke that one, got caught in the boards. I may have liked the Mako more, tried the E28 and it was fun to use. I've also had the APX, Nexus, RBZ stage 2, and RSII in the last year, but they are all second tier compared to my Mako and Ribcor. I can't wait to pick up a V9, going to get one with the E28 and one with the E36.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:51 AM
PensFreak

Also, the Mako runs a fair bit whippier than most other sticks. I almost always get 8 flex sticks, I'm 6' 180 pounds. Their 85 flex felt a lot closer to a 75 than the 75 flex Stage 2 I got. Mako for me, felt fantastic for wrist shots.

PensFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 05:24 PM
AcidJazz

So this stick gets released next month: Sher-Wood EK15 http://www.sher-woodhockey.ca/ek15.php

Could shake things up the industry a bit. Lightest stick on the market. Hand crafted to reduce weight and to increase durability.

AcidJazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:24 PM
ponder

Was using a 77 flex TotalONE shaft with a Warrior Gionta blade, liked the combo a lot. Snapped the shaft, and bought a Justin Schultz pro stock. I like it, 80 flex grip stick (though feels stiffer, as Rbk sticks often do IMO), kicks hard, and I got it for $90. I really like the pattern, the curve shape and loft is similar to a P106, but I like the lie/rocker WAY more. The P106 has a really weird rocker, the sort of "bulge" at the bottom is close to the heel instead of the toe, while Schultz's curve has a more traditional rocker, similar to an E28 or P92 lie 5.

For my next stick I'd like to try something with an E28-ish curve. Will be a departure from my current curve, but I'm a bit weird in really liking both toe curves (especially the retail Gionta and P92 lie 5) and heel curves (like the retail Drury and pro Schultz). Don't want to pay Easton prices though, so I'll probably go for a grip DT1 LT with a W28 curve once they go on sale (top end Warrior sticks tend to go on sale at awesome prices).

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:48 PM
MuffinMerc
Come watch TV

vCash: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post
So this stick gets released next month: Sher-Wood EK15 http://www.sher-woodhockey.ca/ek15.php

Could shake things up the industry a bit. Lightest stick on the market. Hand crafted to reduce weight and to increase durability.
I want one! Gotta start saving for that $200 price tag.

MuffinMerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 10:50 PM
Islanderfan17

Been using CCM RBZ 60's and have been extremely happy, the durability is a huge step up from the CCM U+ Ultra Lights without sacrificing much to weight.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-09-2013, 11:16 PM
ORLY

Quick question, I have always used a Sakic curve (Hall) but lately I'm noticing I'm doing more snap-shots, one- timers, and my backhanders with that stick aren't as great. What type of blade should I be looking at that would give me more power..the feel of those shots is weak to me I know I'm putting more into it than I'm getting? I have a dead accurate wrist shot so always used a Sakic but..noticing as I've been getting older my style has changed a bit. Recommendations? Thanks. Also I'm 6'0 - 180 and flex is 85. Should I change curve and flex? Feels whippy on some shots

Last edited by ORLY: 10-09-2013 at 11:26 PM.
ORLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:05 AM
mikitas donut
Flowers of Antimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidJazz View Post

Argh! It says the PP09 pattern won't be available in intermediate! I hate being short.

mikitas donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 02:48 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORLY View Post
Quick question, I have always used a Sakic curve (Hall) but lately I'm noticing I'm doing more snap-shots, one- timers, and my backhanders with that stick aren't as great. What type of blade should I be looking at that would give me more power..the feel of those shots is weak to me I know I'm putting more into it than I'm getting? I have a dead accurate wrist shot so always used a Sakic but..noticing as I've been getting older my style has changed a bit. Recommendations? Thanks. Also I'm 6'0 - 180 and flex is 85. Should I change curve and flex? Feels whippy on some shots
Try an open wedge heel curve. Formerly known as the Drury for Easton sticks. Now it's Parise P6 (Easton), Staal P91A (Bauer), Warrior W05 (Kovalev), Phaneuf P36A (Reebok). Not sure about CCM or Sherwood.

Your wrist shot will suffer a lot though, and it might take some time tweaking your accuracy. I'm still having trouble with making the switch. And your flex is correct unless you reaaaalllly want that stiffness.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:12 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

People love those low-kick sticks. I just wish more companies made top hand flex sticks.

Interesting about Bobby Ryan's portrayed workout...kettlebell swings, medicine ball toss, loaded carries, dryland shooting...sounds exactly like what I do.

Old
10-10-2013, 10:11 AM
Terry Yake

i've been using a reebok 18k with the datsyuk curve for 6 months or so, best stick i've ever used but like all reebok sticks i've ever had, the end of the blade has been starting to chip away recently

looks like i'm going to be in the market for a new stick soon. i'll probably end up just buying the same stick

Terry Yake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
pdogfizzle
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
i've been using a reebok 18k with the datsyuk curve for 6 months or so, best stick i've ever used but like all reebok sticks i've ever had, the end of the blade has been starting to chip away recently

looks like i'm going to be in the market for a new stick soon. i'll probably end up just buying the same stick
I used to have a 9K with a Datsyuk curve and it was also my all time favorite. Can't seem to find another one these days. Have you ever tried the 9k and is there much of a difference beetween 9k and 18k?

pdogfizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 11:59 AM
ORLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Try an open wedge heel curve. Formerly known as the Drury for Easton sticks. Now it's Parise P6 (Easton), Staal P91A (Bauer), Warrior W05 (Kovalev), Phaneuf P36A (Reebok). Not sure about CCM or Sherwood.

Your wrist shot will suffer a lot though, and it might take some time tweaking your accuracy. I'm still having trouble with making the switch. And your flex is correct unless you reaaaalllly want that stiffness.
Thanks God!
I will check it out, don't like how the wrist shot will suffer a lot..are there any happy mediums curve- wise? For lack of a better word.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:13 PM
nycpunk1

Started skating early summer, joined a D League weeks ago. So far I've invested in 2 composite sticks. Obviously I know nothing and have nothing to go on. I'm 5'11", the wrong side of 200 lbs, and have been playing mostly wing so far.

Just wondering what more experienced skaters think of these for a rank beginner as far as suitability and price.

1) Easton M2, 85 Flex, Sakic curve, paid $50
2) Reebok 6k Sickick III, 85 Flex, Datsyuk curve, paid $37

Just bought the second one on major clearance (think I got the last one in stock). How many sticks do people generally use at a time? Do you switch up at alll, or do you play with your main stick until it breaks and then use your backup? I figure there's probably an adjustment period with a new stick, but I'm definitely going to try out the different curve and feel of the new stick when it comes in.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:27 PM
Lonny Bohonos
$15mil Mentor-pede

Just got my shipment of 3 Easton S75s. Seem pretty nice and got them on clearance from hockeymonkey.com.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The 6k might be okay but I would hold off on any stick purchases until you can spend at least $100. Pick up a clearance stick that's been marked down from $150+ and enjoy.

At your height/weight, 75-85 flex makes sense. Check the big hockey stick thread link at the top!

Old
10-10-2013, 04:01 PM
nycpunk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
I would hold off on any stick purchases until you can spend at least $100.
I understand the "get quality on clearance" argument. I have factory bought knives that retail for $$$. I'll still be using them when I'm 50. My ex had knives from Ikea. I locked them in a cupboard. Crap knives = ambulance rides.

But between skiing and running, $100 on a single hockey stick is not going to happen for a few seasons, even if it's marked down from $300. In the meantime, I'd really appreciate advice within my price range.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:07 PM
AIREAYE

I'd say you came out with 2 very solid deals. Both originally $100 (which is the most value packed pricepint) sticks which are decent in every aspect. Try both to see what parts you like about them.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Thanks God!
I will check it out, don't like how the wrist shot will suffer a lot..are there any happy mediums curve- wise? For lack of a better word.
You should go with a P88 (in bauer) or a clone of the P88. It really is the "jack of all trades" curve IMO. Good wrist/snap-shots, good back-hand leverage, good passing curve.. it's just not EXCELLENT at any of these things. Like I said... jack of all trades, master of none. I've been using a P88 APX LE 77 flex for the past 6 months and it's been enjoyable.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:14 AM
ORLY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
You should go with a P88 (in bauer) or a clone of the P88. It really is the "jack of all trades" curve IMO. Good wrist/snap-shots, good back-hand leverage, good passing curve.. it's just not EXCELLENT at any of these things. Like I said... jack of all trades, master of none. I've been using a P88 APX LE 77 flex for the past 6 months and it's been enjoyable.
Thanks, was actually closing in on one of these but you just made my decision a lot easier.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:25 AM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Thanks, was actually closing in on one of these but you just made my decision a lot easier.
Yep, P88 is a decent compromise. For Bauer, they also have a P106 Richards pattern that might also suit your needs. I haven't tried it but just from looking at it, it seems to be a combination of the Sakic and Drury curve.

Obviously if you have the opportunity, try the sticks out if your LHS has a shooting range.

God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 07:53 AM
redbranch

I got my RS Stealth Hall pattern swiped from a rink last week, so I guess I'm in the market for a stick again. I loved that stick, but I got it on a great deal. I don't feel like paying 250 for the VE9, or 180 for the RS2 if I can avoid it. Any recommendations for a stick with similar feel to the stealth?

redbranch is offline   Reply With Quote