HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game 4 || Toronto Maple Leafs 0-4 Nashville Predators || Oct 10, 2013 || 8:00 pm ET

Old
10-11-2013, 07:39 AM
predfan98

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Ellis was solid in his protected time over the past two games. Nothing spectacular, but, did what he was supposed to without the huge errors. Ekholm is playing well, but when he does make a mistake it is rapidly heading towards Pekka ... his giveaway in neutral ice during the 3rd last night, for example. Hendricks with a good first period on the perimeter and forecheck .... nothing in the slot, nothing more than typical 4th line grinder play ... still helped his line generate some pressure.

The big problem is we're playing perimeter hockey. Too few players getting to the slot ... even more rare is the player in the slot positioned to do anything more than screen. Shot from the point ... shot from the half wall ... nobody to do anything down low. Looks great when you look at the score sheet afterwards but that isn't an accurate depiction.
yup, agree.
don't care if hornqvist's line or any other line cycles like crazy behind the net, if no one ever goes to the front......

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 07:49 AM
jwhouk
Cheesehead Pred

jwhouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:41 AM
Persona5

I will wait until at least game 20 to call it a year. The team has looked good at times and we out played Toronto last night by a large margin in the first period and most of the second. The problem is the system I think. To much board time and not enough slot time. Who cares if we have the puck in their zone for 30 minutes a game if we don't get to the scoring areas.

The first goal last night was on Weber imo. He skated to suport Jones on the wall instead of covering the slot leaving Phil wide open and imagine that....he finished on the chance.

Nystrom is the only signing at this point I would keep but for a 2 year contract instead of 4...Cullen has been decent but Hendricks is the head scratcher. There is no way we should have signed him. I still have no clue why we didn't go after Grabo/Brunner/Ribero/Filpula. Stalberg we think was a smart signing but at this point it isn't helping us at all and we picked up right where we left off last season.

Persona5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Jarnberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
Grabo/Brunner/Ribero/Filpula.
The boards here said we didn't need those players / we were interested but didn't sign them / they didn't want to come here / wouldn't fit in here / would make our team worse / they aren't Predators hockey.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Preds33
RIP Shea Weber!

A big thing I noticed last night was the inability to pass the puck.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:48 AM
Jarnberg

The reason the team is playing perimeter hockey is because the team lacks the skill level to generate other offense. The team is weak on the boards and teams realize this. They keep us outside and our guys cough up the puck along the boards. Almost no on on the team has the skill level to get inside or take guys on. Or they have the skill level and are scared to make a mistake. But even so, the passing level is so poor that it almost doesn't matter. These guys cannot pass very well. So many passes are onto the backhand or in the skates that cause little delays on the ice and allow teams to recover.

This team's offensive plan is to dump the puck in, win a battle and get a booming shot from the blueline. The problem is the other team's collapse and let us do this and block shots. It's an outdated tactic.

Old
10-11-2013, 08:53 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
The reason the team is playing perimeter hockey is because the team lacks the skill level to generate other offense. The team is weak on the boards and teams realize this. They keep us outside and our guys cough up the puck along the boards. Almost no on on the team has the skill level to get inside or take guys on. Or they have the skill level and are scared to make a mistake. But even so, the passing level is so poor that it almost doesn't matter. These guys cannot pass very well. So many passes are onto the backhand or in the skates that cause little delays on the ice and allow teams to recover.

This team's offensive plan is to dump the puck in, win a battle and get a booming shot from the blueline. The problem is the other team's collapse and let us do this and block shots. It's an outdated tactic.
IMO, this is what got Bob Hartley fired from Atlanta. This was his coaching philosophy, and when times got real bad (0-6 start to a season), he still wouldn't make the right adjustments.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:09 AM
Viqsi
caution: bite hazard

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

At this point, I would suggest that "skill" to get inside isn't going to be needed so much as a willingness to push people around. I mean, we may not have much but we do have that.

Might not lead to much in the way of pretty goals, but forcing the opposition to make space by being big and annoying would be an improvement.

Congratulations to all Las Vegas area hockey fans, present and future!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:11 AM
Grandmaster
6 Stanley Cups

vCash: 126
Still irrates the hell out of me when I think about this game. After being the dominant team for a period and a half, we just let the flood gates collapse and **** hit the fan.

We need to be better.

Grandmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
Dave is a killer
Dave's a Mess

https://twitter.com/Forechecker/stat...62255333933056

Some stats fans didn't notice from last night, this is how perimeter based we played last night ... fugly

Dave is a killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:30 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

I went down a lot of this on Twitter this morning, but this game was a near perfect reversal of the past few seasons: the Predators dominated possession, but were defeated by a team that cashed in on the few opportunities they had.

The good news--we've seen that formula isn't sustainable, and will always lose out to possession in the long run.

The bad news--while an increase in corsi events is a step in the right direction, the shot quality numbers were not good. Toronto lead that category pretty handily. The other bad news--Minnesota dominated possession the previous game, so I'm hesitant to say that things are "fixed." Granted, Minnesota's once woeful possession game is among the best in the league this year...so...it can be done.

So...the take away...the Predators did something well that they don't typically do, but now need to flesh it out.

Individually--Hornqvist, Legwand and Wilson all had strong possession games, Legwand impressively so, with a fair number of defensive zone starts.

Matt Cullen was by far the worst, with only 45% overall Corsi percentage, and a relative corsi of -18%, with only 28 percent defensive zone starts. On a night when the rest of the team did so well, that's alarmingly poor.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Grandmaster
6 Stanley Cups

Cullen has absolutely abysmal last night.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:02 AM
Commander Clueless
Fear the Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procala View Post
Still irrates the hell out of me when I think about this game. After being the dominant team for a period and a half, we just let the flood gates collapse and **** hit the fan.

We need to be better.
That seems to be the Leafs strategy so far this year - suck for a period and a half and let Bernier bail them out, and then turn it up. Not sure it's such a good strategy for Toronto, but it does seem to lull the other team into a false sense of security. Somehow I doubt it is intentional though.

I was impressed by the Predators onslaught in the first half of the game and was very impressed with Rinne. Despite the 4 goals, I thought he played a fantastic game for the most part.

Commander Clueless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Grandmaster
6 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spazmatic Dan View Post
That seems to be the Leafs strategy so far this year - suck for a period and a half and let Bernier bail them out, and then turn it up. Not sure it's such a good strategy for Toronto, but it does seem to lull the other team into a false sense of security. Somehow I doubt it is intentional though.

I was impressed by the Predators onslaught in the first half of the game and was very impressed with Rinne. Despite the 4 goals, I thought he played a fantastic game for the most part.
I thought Rinne was a bit off. I blame him for the second goal. Looked shaky to me until the final period and a half.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Jarnberg

Last night shows why you invest in goal scorers. Toronto wasn't generating much offense (partly from being on PK so much as well) and get a goal against the run of play and go figure it was by their big guns. JVR made Jones look like a rookie and Kessel made sure to put his chance home. That one play completely changed the game.

But also the Preds "domination" was overstated. Sure there were alot of shots, but they were very low quality.

Speaking of shot quality, the Predators are giving up more high quality scoring chances this year. In year's past we gave up more shots but they were mostly shots from far away and low quality (plenty of people on here have made that observation). This year we're seeing guys finding seams in front of our goal and shots from really close. Look back at the Minnesota game and how often they found a guy sneaking in in front of the goal (Parise's goal comes to mind).

Old
10-11-2013, 10:40 AM
theIceWookie
#LeafHysteriaAlert

Only saw the first two periods unfortunately, but the Preds were definitely the better team possession wise. However they weren't exaclty getting great chances. The powerplays and the Smith break were about the best chances I saw from them. Toronto wasn't getting much going consistently, but when they had chances, they were high value chances. From a guy who loves the Preds (although not as much as the Leafs) but doesn't get to see them a lot, I was impressed by the possession game but dissapointed that they couldn't do anything with it. But then again Bernier absolutely bailed the Leafs out so I'm not sure there is much you can do about that.

I must say, I was very impressed by Jones and Forbserg. Forsberg looks good, showing lots of potential. It's nice to see a Preds team with a player with his sort of offensive potential. It would be nice if they could add to that and add some more offensive pieces. But that's a different story. Forsberg looked good and I'm excited to see what he can do in the future. He definitely lived up to the hype I've seen posted about him on these boards.

Jones was also fantastic. Doesn't look like a first year player. It's cliche to say but it's true. I don't blame him at all for the Kessel goal. You just can't leave a player like Kessel open in teh slot like that. Ever. He'll make you pay 9 times out of 10. But Jones impressed me a lot. He was fantastic on the powerplay, passing well and his shot was accurate and hard. And he was very impressive at holding the line.

Nashville's future is bright with Forsberg, Wilson, Josi, Jones, Rinne and Weber. It's a good core to work with. It would just be nice to see some proper offensive support added.

Last edited by theIceWookie: 10-11-2013 at 10:52 AM.
theIceWookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:00 AM
Cashville
RIP Lindback

Woke up still pissed off; hate and love hockey. Let Jones stick with Weber even when Josi comes back; that pairing has been pretty great imo and has the potential to be the best in the NHL in a couple of years. Klein and Josi have played well together before and our top 4 D would be very solid. We really need to win the next two (Isles and Pants); two losses and I'm ready to put any playoff hopes aside. Not chicken little here; I didn't have particularly high expectations for this season coming in, which I think was shared by most here as well.

Cashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:08 AM
INDhockeyfan

No hearing for Fisher. If there was none for Downie there sure shouldn't have been one for Fisher. He's a clean player who had no intent to injure and it was just unfortunate of where in happened. Seems Franson just had a cut on his nose from the visor.

INDhockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Procala View Post

We need to be better.
But we weren't the dominant team. Did you look at friggin' Corsi?

10-11-2013, 11:27 AM
KevFist
is best pony

It's just like the Preds are allergic to getting around the net, aside from Horqvist.

this isn't the Thrashers fan in me talking, but I seriously wonder what a guy like Craig Ramsay could do with his team. Retain the gritty, defensive nature, but inject some more balanced offensive thinking as well.

"I do my best work while chock full of whiskey & cheese"
--Beef Invictus
KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:03 PM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I never thought Toronto deserved to win that game but of course that doesn't matter. I thought both teams looked about even, despite the score. Bernier was just THAT good last night.

kypredsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 01:47 PM
Dark Knight
Let's go Blue Jays!

Just thought I'd chime in and say what a budding stud you have in Seth Jones. Your GM is smart to succumb to his desire of drafting a forward and nabbing the best available talent on the board.

Preds need to be in on a guy like Thomas Vanek, though.

10-11-2013, 03:14 PM
utmfisher19

Send a message via AIM to utmfisher19 Send a message via MSN to utmfisher19 Send a message via Yahoo to utmfisher19
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxPreds View Post
Ugh after watching austin peay get pummled 63-7 at home by Eastern Illinois
You mean Austin Peay actually scored a TD? Is that their first TD scored in Division I play?

utmfisher19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 03:17 PM
thecloser

people that need to go:

Hendricks
Spaling
Ellis
Bartley
Trotz......never thought I'd agree with the people calling for his head, but smashville needs a change. This defensive system is not working anymore and is one big reason players probably decide against coming here.

thecloser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:09 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecloser View Post
people that need to go:

Hendricks
Spaling
Ellis
Bartley
Trotz......never thought I'd agree with the people calling for his head, but smashville needs a change. This defensive system is not working anymore and is one big reason players probably decide against coming here.
garbage. Is there any factual evidence or is it just an opinion based on the frustration of watching a struggling team? I could have swore Stalberg was one of the top FA forwards on the board this year, and it isn't like we overpaid for him. The grinders yes, overpaid. But he and Cullen signed deals they could have gotten anywhere.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote