HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

WHy didn't we offer Roy a job when looking for a new HC?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2013, 09:33 PM
  #151
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy28 View Post
I wouldn't put it past him. The guy is a champion. I would actually love to see him be successful. But I think he is a far better fit in that environment.
I agree, and he knew better too. There is a reason why he isn't our coach, he isn't dumb, we weren't the right market for him and vice versa.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:34 PM
  #152
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Well with all that talent, they finished dead last, last year.
They didn't have Mackinnon who is an awesome talent. And you said five years not this year...

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Somehow I have a feeling EJ will have his best career year. MD and MacK probably won't fair too bad either.

But the Avs being contenders will largely be, because Patrick brought them together unlike the same awesome core they had last year that cared more about a vegas off season trip.

Night and Day.
So then Roy could make the Flames contenders this year then? Or in five years? Really?

He must be one hell of a coach then.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:37 PM
  #153
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
They didn't have Mackinnon who is an awesome talent. And you said five years not this year...


So then Roy could make the Flames contenders this year then? Or in five years? Really?

He must be one hell of a coach then.
wow

You have impressed me with who desparate you are to try and disprove a point.

I'm impressed with extreme you can take a hypothethical argument.

THe flames have **** for prospects, the Avs have had a solid crop for a long time ,the fact that you can't see the difference is well, on you.

gjge

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:39 PM
  #154
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 243
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.

Do you agree or disagree? That is what makes him a winner. THe question is, can you acknoledge perop'els stength and weakness or are you blind?

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:41 PM
  #155
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
wow

You have impressed me with who desparate you are to try and disprove a point.

I'm impressed with extreme you can take a hypothethical argument.

THe flames have **** for prospects, the Avs have had a solid crop for a long time ,the fact that you can't see the difference is well, on you.

gjge
Well explain to me how you come to the conclusion that it will be largely Roy and not the stacked group of prospects that he's got? Because the Avs are where Chicago were about six years ago with top prospects in their lineup.

As for taking the 'extreme', dude it's a perfectly fair argument to make. You're sitting there saying that they'll be contenders largely because of Roy... well, would the same be said for a team that isn't stacked with prospects the way the Avs are? I'm not being unfair here in asking you that question, I'm simply putting it in stark terms to demonstrate the weakness in your argument.

How much of it would be coaching vs talent? What justifies you crediting this to Roy when he's only coached one NHL game?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:47 PM
  #156
andy28
Registered User
 
andy28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 4,036
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.
I think its a better enivronment for him regardless of how good the team is. It's a smaller market. Better place for a first time NHL coach to start out, for one thing. And Roy is a really passionate person who is sometimes impulsive and stubborn. I don't think all the BS that surrounds the Habs would be good for him at all.

andy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:51 PM
  #157
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
My point was, that Roy only puts himself into Winning positions. That's why he is not a Habs coach, he realixed it wasn't a winning situation for him, with the lack of prospects we had but he chose a place like Colorado because he seen they were poised to start winning.
Well from that perspective I'd agree... at least in so far as taking over in Colorado. That's a very good team to sign up for right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Do you agree or disagree? That is what makes him a winner. THe question is, can you acknoledge perop'els stength and weakness or are you blind
Well, if I agree that he was smart for going to Colorado (and I do) how does this make him a good coach and how would this benefit us? I don't see how choosing a stacked team to go to makes him a better choice than other guys out there.

And Colorado needs the publicity (don't think that this had nothing to do with their decision as they have Sakic in the fold too) so he fits there very nicely from that perspective.

That doesn't make him a good coach though.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:42 PM
  #158
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Well from that perspective I'd agree... at least in so far as taking over in Colorado. That's a very good team to sign up for right now.

Well, if I agree that he was smart for going to Colorado (and I do) how does this make him a good coach and how would this benefit us? I don't see how choosing a stacked team to go to makes him a better choice than other guys out there.

And Colorado needs the publicity (don't think that this had nothing to do with their decision as they have Sakic in the fold too) so he fits there very nicely from that perspective.

That doesn't make him a good coach though.
What makes him a good choice is how he gets his players to support him.

When he was in the Memorial Cup, he took the pressure off of his goalie and put the spotlight on him. He knew how to do it. He ended up winning against one of the people I consider one of the best player coaches who is extremely good at motivating his players.

Yea what he did was a gong show but you know what, McKinnon and Duchene will never forget how he went to battle for his team, how he didn't care about a 10k fine, he went to the mat for them. That team needed that.

That is what will separate Colorado from Edmonton in the next 2-3 years. Edmonton has had a longer pipeline of better prospects but Colorado will be more succesful.

There has never been a multi millionaire / superstar to spend 8 years in the minor league, riding busses to learn the trade. He loves the game that much, he is a student. I honestly don't see him failing as a NHL coach. The amount of time he put in studying game tapes as a rookie tells you about his character.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
  #159
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
What makes him a good choice is how he gets his players to support him.

When he was in the Memorial Cup, he took the pressure off of his goalie and put the spotlight on him. He knew how to do it. He ended up winning against one of the people I consider one of the best player coaches who is extremely good at motivating his players.
Didn't Roy's stacked team lose after taking a 3-0 series lead?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Yea what he did was a gong show but you know what, McKinnon and Duchene will never forget how he went to battle for his team, how he didn't care about a 10k fine, he went to the mat for them. That team needed that.
They did? Really?

'Cause I don't think that this was all that big a deal. Mackinnon himself said that he's used to it and it happened all the time in junior. So why would this be worth freaking out over?

They'll never forget it? Well maybe. But probably not for the reasons that you're suggesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
That is what will separate Colorado from Edmonton in the next 2-3 years. Edmonton has had a longer pipeline of better prospects but Colorado will be more succesful.
What will separate Edmonton from everyone will be their defense. If they don't get one they aren't going anywhere. And this wouldn't change if Roy was their coach either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
There has never been a multi millionaire / superstar to spend 8 years in the minor league, riding busses to learn the trade. He loves the game that much, he is a student. I honestly don't see him failing as a NHL coach. The amount of time he put in studying game tapes as a rookie tells you about his character.
How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:13 PM
  #160
groovejuice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Didn't Roy's stacked team lose after taking a 3-0 series lead?

They did? Really?

'Cause I don't think that this was all that big a deal. Mackinnon himself said that he's used to it and it happened all the time in junior. So why would this be worth freaking out over?

They'll never forget it? Well maybe. But probably not for the reasons that you're suggesting.


What will separate Edmonton from everyone will be their defense. If they don't get one they aren't going anywhere. And this wouldn't change if Roy was their coach either.

How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?
In all fairness, Roy is one of the best pure competitors that ever played for the Habs, never mind his generational skill level.

But he is also kind of a simple man; blue collar all the way, while also being an incredible motivator with a pretty good coaching record in junior and a former Hab superstar.

I'm sure MB realized all this, and this is why he got consideration. Ultimately, I believe it was his unswerving need for additional responsibilities that overlapped with Bergevin's that made it all fall through.

groovejuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:28 PM
  #161
macavoy
Registered User
 
macavoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Houston, Tx
Country: United States
Posts: 7,491
vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Didn't Roy's stacked team lose after taking a 3-0 series lead?

They did? Really?

'Cause I don't think that this was all that big a deal. Mackinnon himself said that he's used to it and it happened all the time in junior. So why would this be worth freaking out over?

They'll never forget it? Well maybe. But probably not for the reasons that you're suggesting.


What will separate Edmonton from everyone will be their defense. If they don't get one they aren't going anywhere. And this wouldn't change if Roy was their coach either.

How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?
Idk, all I know, I chose to surround myself with positivism instead of all your negativity.



Do whatever you want and I will do what I want, I'm happy. At the end of the day, I bet I have my wagon hitched to a winner. What do you do, complain about how this team isn't good enough. Well keep complaining, it don't bother me. I'll keep focussin g on winning. We will see who is happier in life.

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 06:49 PM
  #162
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 20,922
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Idk, all I know, I chose to surround myself with positivism instead of all your negativity.

Do whatever you want and I will do what I want, I'm happy. At the end of the day, I bet I have my wagon hitched to a winner. What do you do, complain about how this team isn't good enough. Well keep complaining, it don't bother me. I'll keep focussin g on winning. We will see who is happier in life.
As I said man, he could be great. I just don't believe in him. You do? That's fine, you could very well be right.

As for our personal lives well... enjoy your time at the Cool Kid Club tonight. I'm just going to sit here in my dark room where nobody loves me and drink my flat root beer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
In all fairness, Roy is one of the best pure competitors that ever played for the Habs, never mind his generational skill level.

But he is also kind of a simple man; blue collar all the way, while also being an incredible motivator with a pretty good coaching record in junior and a former Hab superstar.
Weren't those Rampart teams stacked though? Forgive me as I'm not as familiar with the Q as most but I read on more than one occassion that it was a team that had competitive advantages over other clubs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groovejuice View Post
I'm sure MB realized all this, and this is why he got consideration. Ultimately, I believe it was his unswerving need for additional responsibilities that overlapped with Bergevin's that made it all fall through.
The need for additional responsibilities also points to the sign of an ego doesn't it?


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 10-06-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:56 PM
  #163
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post

How about the way he conducted himself while he was coaching down there? Doesn't that reveal something about his character too?
He didn't do anything other haven't done before or after him. The difference is that media didn't care about others.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 09:57 PM
  #164
sergejean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 198
vCash: 500
Roy is already making an impact just like he did in the Q winning a Memorial Cup. It will not always be pretty (Av's D look very bad) but he will take them in the right direction. And for all the fuss about his temper, people forget that Roy is a very smart and calculating man so for all the passion he seems to demonstrate, there is also a cerebral element to it and that is the reason why I believe he will be successful in the NHL.

sergejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:04 PM
  #165
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Roy was not the best coach in the Q, even himself said it.

He chose the Avalanche because he knew the organisation and he wanted to be GM at the dame time, something Molson AND Savard didn't want when they looked for the GM position. Hence the fact that Bergevin did not really consider Roy when came time to interview the candidates.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:08 PM
  #166
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
Didn't Roy's stacked team lose after taking a 3-0 series lead?
His team wasn't stacked. Roy never had stacked teams in juniors. He had good teams, but not stacked like Halifax and Saint John of the last 3 years. He never wanted to make the sacrifices and finish low a couple of years so he never had the tools to stack a team. In his first year, he was lucky to have an exceptional player. You don't get those very often.

BTW, the year he lost a series he lead 3-0, injuries/illness caused the downfall. It's not like they were dominating during the 3 first games.

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:11 PM
  #167
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
His fellow QMJHL coaches voted him 3rd best behind Groulx and Tourigny just last year. They must know something that a lot of people here don't...

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:12 PM
  #168
Undertakerqc
Registered User
 
Undertakerqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Frankly, i think Michel Therrien was the right man for the job. His track record of developping young player is impressive. Just look how are young players are performing (Galagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Subban) Therrien is doing a great job.

Undertakerqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:13 PM
  #169
deandebean
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Gatineau, cālisse
Country: uriname
Posts: 8,750
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SergeConstantin74 View Post
His fellow QMJHL coaches voted him 3rd best behind Groulx and Tourigny just last year. They must know something that a lot of people here don't...
Yup. I'd say that's about right. It has been that way for about 6-7 years.

deandebean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:15 PM
  #170
SergeConstantin74
Always right.
 
SergeConstantin74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Frankly, i think Michel Therrien was the right man for the job. His track record of developping young player is impressive. Just look how are young players are performing (Galagher, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Subban) Therrien is doing a great job.
Yeah... I also like Therrien with the young guys so far.

I believe it wasn't a good match with Roy last year but I also believe he'll do a really good job with the Avs!

Anyway, one thing's for sure, Roy and Therrien will both get fired sooner or later!

SergeConstantin74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 09:05 PM
  #171
29dryden29
Registered User
 
29dryden29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: London Ont
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,758
vCash: 50
How about that Roy and those Avs. Took down he Bs in Boston 2-0 tonight.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
  #172
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMAD View Post
Roy will be a terrible coach in the NHL. Not bad, terrible.
How is this theory working out for you so far?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:15 AM
  #173
rockjngo
Registered User
 
rockjngo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,186
vCash: 500
Patrick Roy wasn't right as coach for this team because, well have you seen Anahiem-Colorado game? Being a Hab coach, not only do you represent the team, the city, but you also represent the french community. we aren't columbus, or florida, or tampa where no one cares. its how we present ourselves as an organization. classy organization because of our history and heritage. If Roy did that during Calgary's game, it would destroy our organization's image. Roy should never be coach of the Canadiens. Roy loses control over himself and that's not representation of our organization.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:35 AM
  #174
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,390
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
How is this theory working out for you so far?
Easy now, a little early to get some swagger going...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:52 AM
  #175
warsawyak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Warsaw, PL
Country: Poland
Posts: 58
vCash: 500
In a freak turn of events, in 2015 the Colorado Avalanche, after winning two Stanley Cups in a row, will trade their head coach Patrick Roy to Montreal Canadiens, and then he will lead his new team to two another Stanley Cups before retiring.

warsawyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.