Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* North Bay Battalion 2013-14 Season Thread

Old
09-30-2013, 12:52 PM
massey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
Another strong weekend for the Troops going 2-1 on a 3 in 3 road trip.

Goodrow seems to be picking up where he left off from his 38 goal season last year. His winner yesterday puts him now just 1 behind the franchise high of 23 set by Cody Hodgson.
Goodrow also moved past Sam Carrick for 4th all time on the games played list for the Battalion.

After a very shaky pre season it sounds like Brenden O'Neill has really played well. Despite the loss in the Soo on Friday he only allowed 3 goals in 2 games this weekend. Vincent Praplan and Barclay Goodrow seem to becoming a great 1-2 punch combo, I havent seen much so far but Praplan has looked great from the little I have.
Duda seems to have been a fine last minute edition to the club and if he continues to play well it may force Stan to dump a defenceman when all bodies are back. They could possibly keep Duda and trade somebody out in hopes of getting a bit more scoring.

Reminds me of the 11-12 season when OA Ian Watters had a lengthy injury right at the start of the season and Stan brought in OA Brett Mackie to help out. Mackie played too well to be just let go when Watters got back as the team now had 4 OA's so Michael Santini had to be let go. I still remember that final weekend Santini was with the team, he scored the OT winner in Ottawa in a game that put Brampton past Ottawa for 1st in the east going into the christmas break and then that Sunday scored a hattrick against Sarnia, the next day he was gone.

Troops return to Brampton territory this coming weekend, I may head down to the game in Niagara on Thursday night. I would have liked to have gone to Erie on Saturday if not for a friends wedding.

But the big one for Brampton fans is Sunday when the Troops are in Mississauga. We have organized a group of nearly 50 Brampton fans and we will be sitting directly behind the Battalion bench on Sunday. Hope to make a bunch of noise as one group one last time.
Was at the Sarnia game yesterday.Your goalie looked sharp in the 3rd when Sarnia woke up.Goodrow really stood out in this game.All over the ice.He is an awesome player. Sarnia gave some turnovers to your guys for the 1st 2 goals.I would hope they will send a christmas card to our players.Good Luck

massey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 08:25 PM
JagStyles

Send a message via ICQ to JagStyles
One thing I've noticed is that certain players on the team have their best performances when given the ice time. A prime example is Santos. This kid looked great in preseason and in games last year where he was given top 6 forward minutes. Instead, Butler seems to love these overagers.

I'd also be giving Mackenzie more ice time. Lewis is a lost cause out there. Time for someone else to take his spot.

JagStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2013, 10:18 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Saw your team play tonight. Blake Clarke looked ordinary. Was it just an off night?

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 12:17 AM
battfan888

Third straight week that the Battalion lose their first game of the weekend.
Perhaps bus legs are the problem?

Good players have ordinary nights, I heard other people around the rink saying how "Clarke doesn't look like anything special"

Anyway tonights game was a parade to the penalty box. I've never seen the Battalion take so many stupid penalties, especially after the play. Goodrow took one after a whistle with less than 3 minutes to play in a one goal game, Ice Dogs cashed in just 18 seconds into the PP.

Troops had very few scoring chances in the games second half. Festarini was alright, I thought Jake Smith played better but his bobbling of a rebound led to a Niagara goal.

battfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Greatger

I thought the game last night against Ice Dogs was a little one sided when it came to officiating. The IceDogs went 2-for-9 on the power play against a 1-for-3 showing by the Battalion. Its no wonder Stan Butler gets upset. Has this always been in the case in the past ?

Greatger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:25 AM
mouse 29

[QUOTE=Greatger;71989223]I thought the game last night against Ice Dogs was a little one sided when it came to officiating. The IceDogs went 2-for-9 on the power play against a 1-for-3 showing by the Battalion. Its no wonder Stan Butler gets upset. Has this always been in the case in the past?[/QUOTE]

Welcome to the new OHL. All I can say is you ain't seen nothing yet!!

mouse 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Greatger

Welcome to the new OHL. All I can say is you ain't seen nothing yet!![/QUOTE]

So I take it (by the sound of your answer), that Home Town ref's are still alive and well ?
We never had Home town ref's here LOL
I do remember people waiting for ref's to get off the ice and yell like fools at him. Stan Butler won't have to worry here as he will
have a lot of fans backing him up.

Greatger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 01:27 PM
mouse 29

I think you will find that overall the officiating has been less than what you would expect at this level. Some might go so far as to call it brutal at times. Add to that the number of suspensions handed out by the league even if the play was not deemed a penalty on the ice?? Not sure the exact figures but I would say that the OHL has 10,20, or maybe even 30 times the number of suspensions. This even though the OHL doesn't play as physical a style anymore.

Anyway as I said keep watching you haven't seen anything yet.

mouse 29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Voice from the North

Why is Zach Bell asking for a trade? What would be the price? He'd be valuable to any contender

Voice from the North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2013, 09:14 PM
JagStyles

Send a message via ICQ to JagStyles
He's asking for a trade because he doesn't want to play in North Bay from what I've heard.

Butler needs to really rethink the lineup. Henricksson a -3. Why is this guy getting top 6 minutes?? Lewis is another one whose time is up. Let the other kids play.

JagStyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 11:09 AM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voice from the North View Post
Why is Zach Bell asking for a trade? What would be the price? He'd be valuable to any contender
Lets be honest. He wants to be on any contender that can potentially go all the way. London, Barrie, Guelph, Kingston - lets the rumours begin.

NHL Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:51 PM
Snippit

Hey guys, Knights fan here. What kind of player is Zach Bell and what would you expect in return? Somebody suggested Jammes + Owen Macdonald, would this cut it?

Snippit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 05:57 PM
battfan888

While I could care less what they get now as I have moved on to being a Guelph season ticket holder, let me say I hope you guys dont get him lol.

Not the best skater but a very good defensive defenceman, great hitter and shot blocker, great character guy, dont let the trade demand fool you. Great guy off the ice too, was very good to me personally on several occasions.

Believe me if you get Zach Bell you will be happy, he makes mistakes sometimes like any player but his good far outweighs his bad.
Like I said with me being a Storm fan I hope you guys dont get him

Old
10-06-2013, 07:42 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by battfan888 View Post
While I could care less what they get now as I have moved on to being a Guelph season ticket holder, let me say I hope you guys dont get him lol.

Not the best skater but a very good defensive defenceman, great hitter and shot blocker, great character guy, dont let the trade demand fool you. Great guy off the ice too, was very good to me personally on several occasions.

Believe me if you get Zach Bell you will be happy, he makes mistakes sometimes like any player but his good far outweighs his bad.
Like I said with me being a Storm fan I hope you guys dont get him
I agree with you. And I love the physical presence he brings to the game. He's a guy you want on your team. Definitely a guy you do not like to play against.

I like what I'm seeing from Nick Paul this year, the kid keeps improving. Great to see.

Old
10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snippit View Post
Hey guys, Knights fan here. What kind of player is Zach Bell and what would you expect in return? Somebody suggested Jammes + Owen Macdonald, would this cut it?
It would definitely warrant a higher price tag but it doesn't give North Bay much leverage seeing as he wants out.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 10-06-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old
10-06-2013, 09:54 PM
KevyD
Make It 30!!!!

Was Blake Clarke a healthy scratch on Sunday?

KevyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:26 PM
OHLFan8771

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevyD View Post
Was Blake Clarke a healthy scratch on Sunday?
He got hit hard into the boards by Hodgson Saturday night and went to the bench holding his shoulder. This might be why he was not in the line up.

OHLFan8771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2013, 10:37 PM
battfan888

I have to say this was very fun today, getting everybody together one last time. We all even yelled one minute to cease fire in the 3rd period.

North Bay, you guys take it from here

http://www.battalionhockey.com/artic...buoy-battalion

Old
10-07-2013, 12:03 PM
bayfan

True class from the Brampton Fans!

bayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 08:03 AM
bayfan

Home opener tomorrow...city is buzzing. Lots of team events all week. Everyone in town is excited. Even my kids are telling us we cant go to the game because they are using our tickets...

Went to pick up my season tickets and the city hall was packed with guys chatting about hockey. Took me 45 minutes to pick up my tickets by the time I got out of there.

I hope the boys are ready cause the gardens will be LOUD tomorrow. The atmosphere will feel like its the final game of the MEM cup for these boys.

I hope all the Brampton fans enjoy the game and enjoy the city.

Good places to eat for our Brampton gang would be Wacky Wings as your coming into town. Good wings. (obviously)

Burger World on Fisher and Chippewa right close to the rink - best clubhouse and fries.

The Moose downtown on Main street - great wings

I've also heard that Legends - right across from wacky wings has a nice tribute to the Battalion that you guys might all enjoy.

One last thing, Northgate Square, our mall as you come in, is having shuttles to the game...parking will be an issue so I recommend.

bayfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 10:47 PM
battfan888

I am heading up tomorrow morning with a couple others including season ticket holder #1 in Brampton, his wife also won the name the team contest all those years ago.

Tomorrow will be the final time I wear my Battalion signed Cody Hodgson jersey before I retire it to a shadowbox and hang it on the wall.

No idea where we are sitting as the tickets were arranged by the PR guy for the team aka the guy I used to report to when I was doing the team's videos.

Hope to meet some North Bay fans tomorrow, they have a lot of passion for this team, if you guys love this team half as much as I did then the boys will be in good hands, there is obviously a lot more of you guys.

GO TROOPS GO!

Old
10-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Jesus Bacon

So pumped for tonight's home opener! As a fan from North Bay, I'd like to extend my appreciation to the Brampton fans, specifically battfan888 for their insight on the team and for keeping the board active. Also, not too many people from North Bay on HF I take it lol.

Jesus Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:31 AM
nosl

http://www.nugget.ca/2013/10/11/troo...in-home-opener
http://www.nugget.ca/2013/10/11/live...inst-the-petes
http://www.baytoday.ca/content/sport...ls.asp?c=53875
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6qnj1NdVvwc#t=65

Classy of the team to put the Centennials patch on the shoulder. Dave Branch, Nick Kypreos were in attendance.

4 236 in attendance

nosl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:39 AM
youngblood10

Thought the Centennials patch was good too. Kind of gives the community a connection with the team. Sure most in North Bay could careless but with nothing changing as far as the teams uniform and such and that branding being so strong with Brampton, from an outsider it feels as if Brampton is just playing it's games out of North Bay now. Over time I'm sure that North Bay will take ownership of that and the announces will stop calling them the Brampton Battalion.

As far as the game, the Petes played a solid roadie. All the pressure was on the Battalion with so much anticipation for this game and I think that got to them.

youngblood10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 11:48 AM
35Esposito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Bacon View Post
So pumped for tonight's home opener! As a fan from North Bay, I'd like to extend my appreciation to the Brampton fans, specifically battfan888 for their insight on the team and for keeping the board active. Also, not too many people from North Bay on HF I take it lol.
Im sure they'll slowly come around. It's been 10 years without an OHL team...

I know I'll be coming here more often for my info as I'm in Hamilton, and follow the Guelph Storm.

Last edited by 35Esposito: 10-14-2013 at 12:02 PM.
35Esposito is offline   Reply With Quote