HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
10-11-2013, 03:17 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
as a neutral fan watching this game to see Jones, i must say between Reilly and Jones, Jones was the one that Stood out for me. Jones is going to be special, and i think he is already on par with weber.

Reilly is very small, a good skater and has good hands. He is not as good of a skater as letang or Karlsson nor does he have the hands those guys possess. However he seems to play more within himself and rarely does something out of charachter. Reilley is a good defender and I could see him being a Kimmo Timmonen type defender if he gets a little bit bigger.
Not trying to attack you but literally everything you said is wrong, well maybe not the hands thing. Rielly's skating has always been considered elite, and hes already among the best skaters on the team. Watch last nights game and see how many times his speed bailed him out.

Hes small? 6'1" 205 lbs. at 19 and still growing is pretty big.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 03:28 PM
Interactif
Opinionist

Morgan Rielly was 6 1/2 205lbs at the combine last year.

Stands to reason he has put on more mass since. He's a pretty thick guy, not small in the least. And his strength test results were at the top of the 2012 draft class.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:04 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 100
Changing gears, I'm just enjoying watching this guy every single night. Aside from the first couple periods, he's really impressed early. Can rush the puck better than most of the guys on the Leafs blueline which really helps when they struggle to move the puck out of the zone. Don't know how fast he'll end up, but right now can pretty easily cover for his willingness to jump up

I haven't had a lot of prospects come up and join the Leafs with that kind of wow presence.

Feels like a case where you can be legitimately excited about his potential without being a crazy fan.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Znith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Stands to reason he has put on more mass since. He's a pretty thick guy, not small in the least. And his strength test results were at the top of the 2012 draft class.
I keep seeing this, and it is misleading.
He was in the top 10 in 3 categories:
- 9th in upper body pull
- 1st in grip test
- 4th in bench press

He didn't place in the top 10 in some key categories such as max V02 test (tests the ability of your body to supply oxygen), wingate test (peak power of cycling...kind of a poor test for leg strength), hand eye co-ordination, vertical leap, and standing long jump.

Some of these tests are poor predictors of hockey athletic ability, such as bench press. Hockey utilizes more core strength, leg/hip power, and aerobic fitness. This is why you see guys like Crosby train their legs to tree-trunk like proportions.

Anyways, this is not to say that the kid isn't strong, 6'.05 and 205 lbs is very good for coming out of Junior. By comparison I believe Gardiner is 6'1 185 and Liles 5'11 180. Just de-bunking this myth of Rielly destroying the combine. He put up some impressive numbers on some of the less useful lifts for hockey.

Znith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:32 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znith View Post
- 9th in upper body pull
- 1st in grip test
- 4th in bench press

He didn't place in the top 10 in some key categories such as max V02 test (tests the ability of your body to supply oxygen), wingate test (peak power of cycling...kind of a poor test for leg strength), hand eye co-ordination, vertical leap, and standing long jump.

Some of these tests are poor predictors of hockey athletic ability, such as bench press. Hockey utilizes more core strength, leg/hip power, and aerobic fitness. This is why you see guys like Crosby train their legs to tree-trunk like proportions.

Anyways, this is not to say that the kid isn't strong, 6'.05 and 205 lbs is very good for coming out of Junior. By comparison I believe Gardiner is 6'1 185 and Liles 5'11 180. Just de-bunking this myth of Rielly destroying the combine. He put up some impressive numbers on some of the less useful lifts for hockey.
Well he did have ACL surgery and had recovered not to long before evaluation camp so I dont put any
value in his leg test results. Especially considering he followed it up with

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znith View Post
- 9th in upper body pull
- 1st in grip test
- 4th in bench press

That's fair, not making any excuses for Rielly during the combine, but he was coming off knee surgery and it did alleviate a lot of concerns of his health.

If he had been healthy, one wonders if Leafs would have even been able to pick him.

I more or less wanted to point out he is not as weak as some have posted that he is here.

This kid is a 205 lbs thick strong man that can play a finesse game of a smaller man. Very unique skillset.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:08 PM
stavs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonFord View Post
Up until the bolded, your credibility was starting to waiver, but with that comment it jumped out the window
not gonna lie, i read that part, laughed a little, then scrolled onto the next post.

Jones is not even close to being on par with Weber

stavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:25 PM
Jtown

I will tell you why i think jones is on par with weber. Jones is a special big man defender. He is 6 4 but he has the hip mobility of a defender that is 6 foot. His hip mobility allows him to play less upright which allows him greater stride length, especially that first stride. One of the reasons why duncan keith is such a special skater is his hip mobility he can get great hip seperation and is rarely upright.

I think jones can be a 6 4 version of keith. I dont think he will be as physical as weber but his puck handling and passing are already ahead of weber. In terms of shot weber is hard to beat in that category but i do see jones capable of outscoring weber by his ability to sneak up into the play as we saw on that one sequence where he fired a puck right into bernier.

In regards to Reilly, maybe small is a poor choice of words , short is a more accurate statement. a 6 foot dman is nothing new but those guys have to be able to avoid the forecheck like letang and keith do so well. Those guys are so quick and agile that forechecking them is almost impossible. If he can do that he will have no limitations with his size.

But again like i said i see him as a kimmo timmonen type, maybe with a better shot.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Twist and Shout

Quote:
But again like i said i see him as a kimmo timmonen type, maybe with a better shot.
Actually his shot may be the weakest part of his game...

Twist and Shout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:36 PM
Glenn Healy

If Rielly can have a prime Timonen like impact, I think Leaf fans should be very ecstatic

Glenn Healy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
King William
Draft all the Swedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Healy View Post
If Rielly can have a prime Timonen like impact, I think Leaf fans should be very ecstatic
Timonen never came close to a Norris trophy.

Rielly has the tools to at least come close to it.

That's the difference in talent between the two.

On top of elite offensive skills and a tremendous skater, Rielly has extremely high IQ on the ice.

He is not just a powerplay QB.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:51 PM
will13

Quote:
what is a prime kimmo timonen? I don't really know anything about his game. just trying to gather different opinions.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:55 PM
King William
Draft all the Swedes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebombers View Post
what is a prime kimmo timonen? I don't really know anything about his game. just trying to gather different opinions.
Very steady smallish defenceman with great offensive skills.

He is a good skater but not at the level of Rielly.

Rielly is eerily similar to Brian Leetch, when he's on the ice.

King William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post

On top of elite offensive skills and a tremendous skater, Rielly has extremely high IQ on the ice.

If reilly has a career like Kimmo call yourself fortunate. Kimmo came over to the nhl late but still managed to have a great career. I think if you are going to measure a player's success by awards then you are going to be greatly disappointed.

Francois Beauchemin has never come close to a Norris , but He led the Ducks in TOI the year they won the cup. A team that featured 2 hof defenders.

I think it is lazy to just look at stats and awards and come up with conclusions about players. Points imo opinion are the single most overrated stat in hockey.

I think Reilly is a smart player who is not going to pinch in a 50 50 situation , rather take the safe play and get in defensive position. To me a player like that rarely wins the norris award because they don't generate the offense neccessary to win but those are the type of smart defenders like Kimmo that win.

In this age of excellent young dmen

Doughty, Pieterangelo, Jones, Subban, Karlsson, Larsson, Brodin, OEL, etc these are the players Reilly will have to win a norris against. Not to mention established veterans like Chara, Weber, Keith who all have good years in front of them.

SO in reality I don't see reilly winning a norris or even coming close but that does not diminish his play at all.

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:03 PM
StrongIslanders90

Rielly will be the Leafs #1 defenseman eventually...His offensive game speaks for itself but His skating is so good that it allows him to take chances while still being able to get back defensively...

Those questioning his size have to really look at the kid...

hes not small by no means and playing physical is not his game anyway...Hes good with his stick and uses it to play sound defensively..

Also I don't think winning the Norris should justify his or any young defenders talent...Theres many really talented dmen out there and only 1 player can win the award..

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:06 PM
Glenn Healy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four1 Lead View Post

Kimmo Timonen was a top 10 defensemen IMO for many years

He was one of the most underrated defensemen

Glenn Healy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
FishManSam
Bobs Yummy Burgers!

People calling Rielly small instantly lose ANY credibility.

FishManSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:33 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Lol at Rielly being small.

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 06:43 PM
Interactif
Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
I would definitely take him over Yakupov.. Just maybe not ahead of Trouba or Galchenyuk,
Great point, listening to Dave Morrison explain it. He knew Montreal wanted Galchenyuk and saw no reason flipping.

When Yakupov went first, and Murray went second. All the pieces fell into place.

Pretty much consistent with what Burke said, Leafs had Rielly at #1.

A bit ironic, had he not blown out his knee and played healthy last year. He probably would have been no worse than #2, as much as I like Murray, and I did before the draft. Rielly just has more potential to effect the game.

Montreal got their man, Leafs got theirs.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Rielly is 6'0 205lbs.

Below average, but not small

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Leo Trollmarov
I was in the pool!!

vCash: 555
Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Rielly is 6'0 205lbs.

Leafs have him at 6'1 205. But we all know this is a guideline and not to be taken as fact.

Leo Trollmarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 07:47 PM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Rielly is 6'0 205lbs.

He is no shorter than 6'0.5

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:02 PM
sniper81

Quote:
I think you should leave cbc so I can watch games in peace

sniper81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

This kid is going to be good. Looks very promising.

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:02 AM
will13

Quote:
If reilly has a career like Kimmo call yourself fortunate. Kimmo came over to the nhl late but still managed to have a great career. I think if you are going to measure a player's success by awards then you are going to be greatly disappointed.

Francois Beauchemin has never come close to a Norris , but He led the Ducks in TOI the year they won the cup. A team that featured 2 hof defenders.

I think it is lazy to just look at stats and awards and come up with conclusions about players. Points imo opinion are the single most overrated stat in hockey.

I think Reilly is a smart player who is not going to pinch in a 50 50 situation , rather take the safe play and get in defensive position. To me a player like that rarely wins the norris award because they don't generate the offense neccessary to win but those are the type of smart defenders like Kimmo that win.

In this age of excellent young dmen

Doughty, Pieterangelo, Jones, Subban, Karlsson, Larsson, Brodin, OEL, etc these are the players Reilly will have to win a norris against. Not to mention established veterans like Chara, Weber, Keith who all have good years in front of them.

SO in reality I don't see reilly winning a norris or even coming close but that does not diminish his play at all.
Who is to say he can't develop into players like those? When I watch him play it's scary how much he reminds me of keith. Ive seen rielly play many times, (probably more than any other leaf fan because I've watched him play before he was a leaf), and hes always played at the same level he's capable of in every league he's played in.

will13 is offline   Reply With Quote