HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Skate fit/numbness; hockey vs just skating

Old
10-11-2013, 03:43 PM
BrummieRed

vCash: 500
Skate fit/numbness; hockey vs just skating

It's so frustrating. When skating at public skates I lace my skates pretty snug all the way up and can skate without pain or numbness. It's a joy to skate and I am progressing well, learning new things all the time.

As soon as I get into my hockey gear I need to lace my skates pretty slack (well not tight/snug) all the way up, only pulled tight at the last 2 or 3 holes. If I don't I get numbness/pain after 30 mins of drills etc. And because they have to be a bit loose I lose a good deal of control/edges. My skating performance drops by like 50%. Straight line I'm ok, but crossovers, stops, anything else are much worse than normal.

Does anyone else find their skating is loads worse in hockey gear compared to just normal clothing at public skates?

I wonder if it's the extra stresses of hockey drills/practice than 'normal' skating creating pain/numbness? Or maybe my feet swelling during much than during a public skate?

I have Graf Supra 735s that fit me well. I make sure absolutely nothing is inside the skate that shouldn't be.

I think I just have to learn to skate in loose-ish skates all the time.

BrummieRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:44 PM
Live1evil

Why do you tie your skates differently for public skate vs hockey?

Live1evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:55 PM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live1evil View Post
Why do you tie your skates differently for public skate vs hockey?
I tie my skates pretty snug all the way up in public skates and get great control for say 1.5 hours with no pain or numbness. If I do the same for hockey I get numbness and pain and lack control after 30mins. So, I tie mostly less than snug for hockey except the top 3 holes. It means I have less control as my foot's a bit looser in the skate.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:18 PM
forbs02
Blergh

Do you use shin pad tape? Maybe you are taping too tight and it is constricting blood flow to your feet. Are you wearing shinpads on the outside or inside of your skate tongue?

forbs02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 05:21 PM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Do you use shin pad tape?
No

Quote:
Originally Posted by forbs02 View Post
Are you wearing shinpads on the outside or inside of your skate tongue?
Neither. I have em near the top of the tongue, not even touching it. I lightly do up only the top velcro on them.

It's a total mystery!

Old
10-11-2013, 06:37 PM
goodriddance628

when at home having down time I always where my skates in the house I know it's nothing like skating in them but I feel it helps my feet get used to them plus you can try lacing/tightening them different ways to make your feet more comfortable when you make your skates tighter on the last 3 or 4 holes your restricting your blood flow to the rest of your foot and thats probably what is causing your numbness I try to find a happy medium the whole way through the skate to keep from having a really tight upper boot, I did notice today with having my shins over my tongues my feet didn't really like it but it wasn't horrible and could get used to it

goodriddance628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:48 AM
Jisatsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
No

Neither. I have em near the top of the tongue, not even touching it. I lightly do up only the top velcro on them.

It's a total mystery!
Completely unrelated, but if your shin pad only goes down to the top of your skate tongue, they might be too small.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 04:29 AM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
when you make your skates tighter on the last 3 or 4 holes your restricting your blood flow to the rest of your foot
I don't think it works like that. The blood vessels must be inside the lower leg at that point. I get numbness etc when I tie too tight across my instep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodriddance628 View Post
I try to find a happy medium the whole way through the skate to keep from having a really tight upper boot
You're right tho, me having them tight at the top is not an ideal solution. Maybe I'll also experiment with the happy medium all the way up

Old
10-12-2013, 04:30 AM
BrummieRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jisatsu View Post
Completely unrelated, but if your shin pad only goes down to the top of your skate tongue, they might be too small.
They're not. I've just been wearing them high to rule em out while I try to figure out what's going on with my skates

Old
10-12-2013, 12:28 PM
vapor11

What kind of laces do you use? I used to tie my skates super tight but with my current ones I find they feel the best when I tie my wax laces tight first couple then not so tight in middle but I flex my skate forwards to emulate the position I am in while skating.. Then I tie the last 2-3 snug while leaving top eyelet out

I used to get sore feet after a few minutes of skating because I would tie as tight as possible but now I can skate for hours

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:20 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntsSheffield View Post
If I don't I get numbness/pain after 30 mins of drills etc.
So you get 30 minutes of good hockey skating with your laces tied the way they should be, as opposed to when you tie your:
Quote:
skates pretty snug all the way up in public skates and get great control for say 1.5 hours with no pain or numbness.
Without seeing you skate, I'm just going to assume that at hockey you go much, much harder than skating making up for the difference. I'd just lace them like normal when you're playing hockey and deal with the pain, because once you start playing games you'll very rarely play over 30 minutes a game. Usually 20 or so.

I don't think it's a mystery at all, because it's the same feet, the only difference is the gear which apparently isn't touching your skates. You're just working harder during hockey and that's to be expected!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote