HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
At least he seems to recognize that he only has half an NHL roster.

It's too bad he keeps putting the fourth line on the ice at all, though.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:07 PM
AJGass4

vCash: 500
I expected to see a team that puts in 110% every night from his preseason speeches.

Now, I can't figure out what he is trying to accomplish or the type of system he is implementing.

Nothing makes sense to me other than we suck at the moment.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:12 PM
Mint
Only One King

vCash: 100
Not an improvement over Krueger.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post

Yah because no team needs a player to paste Georges to the end boards and then mix it up with Prust, resulting in Prust being off the ice for 5. You're right, its too bad.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:13 PM
Petro Points

Quote:

not a lot.. Gazdic played 4min, Brown 5 and Acton 6 against MTL.
That line seems lost at times but is hardly the problem. They have yet to allow a goal against when on ice and all are +1 on the season.
Gazdic has 3 fight wins under his belt and Brown has found a way to lead the club in hits with the 6 mins of ice time he gets.

on the flip side .. 'the big 4' are a combined -16 over the first 4 games with Nuge being -4 in 2 games.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:16 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedi View Post
Yah because no team needs a player to paste Georges to the end boards and then mix it up with Prust, resulting in Prust being off the ice for 5. You're right, its too bad.
A fight that accomplishes nothing vs. 12 shots against in 4-5 minutes of ice time...

Sure sounds like a way to win hockey games.

The fact that they didn't get scored on should be enough to make you believe in God.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
A fight that accomplishes nothing vs. 12 shots against in 4-5 minutes of ice time...

The fact that they didn't get scored on should be enough to make you believe in God.
yes the 4th line is set up to out shoot the opponents..
5hits in 5 mins equal a lot of hurt. That line does its thing. Its the other 3 lines that should be putting the puck on net.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Tedi

Quote:

Not being able to score is the only reason we didn't win against the Habs. How in the world can you blame the 4th line!!??

Old
10-11-2013, 05:25 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
yes the 4th line is set up to out shoot the opponents..
5hits in 5 mins equal a lot of hurt. That line does its thing. Its the other 3 lines that should be putting the puck on net.
Every line should be set up to out shoot their competition.

Much like Montreal's fourth line ran the Oilers' show every time they touched the ice last night rather than getting their goalies pads worn out.

Brown-Acton-Gazdic is proving to be one of the worst lines the Oilers have seen in years. They should all be in a beer league.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:28 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Every line should be set up to out shoot their competition.

Much like Montreal's fourth line ran the Oilers' show every time they touched the ice last night rather than getting their goalies pads worn out.

Brown-Acton-Gazdic is proving to be one of the worst lines the Oilers have seen in years. They should all be in a beer league.
Better than our fourth line last year and the year before imo

Old
10-11-2013, 05:33 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Too early. Wait a few months.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:38 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Better than our fourth line last year and the year before imo
You'd take Acton over Belanger and Gazdic over Petrell?

I mean, it's lose/lose, but Belanger and Petrell were both better at their jobs.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:43 PM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:

I mean, it's lose/lose, but Belanger and Petrell were both better at their jobs.
Petrell and Gazdic do not have the same job description.

I like what Gazdic brings to the 4th line. I'll like what he brings a lot more when he gets settled in and he doesn't think he has to fight every time someone wants to.

It'd have been great if he'd just smashed Gorges and goaded Prust into a penalty.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Koto

conservative use of 4th line
good choice of 4v4 players (how did krueger ever use smyth here)

dislikes:
special teams are a mess
choice of 4th line players
#freeyakupov

Old
10-11-2013, 05:55 PM
ponokanocker

I like the use of the star players getting big minutes. I like his use of the 4th line. I just don't understand the initial love of Smyth. To his defence, he did put him in the PB for one game, and cut his minutes drastically. The players seem a little lost at times, which could either be a coaching issue, communication issue, or the fact that they constantly have new coaches and systems all the time. Overall good, but it's tough to give him a great rating with the team losing and only playing so many games.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
conservative use of 4th line
good choice of 4v4 players (how did krueger ever use smyth here)

dislikes:
special teams are a mess
choice of 4th line players
#freeyakupov
Smyth's veteran status kept him in Krueger's good books. It only managed to fool Eakins for most of the pre-season.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:56 PM
T-Funk

Quote:

Yes 100% I would take Acton over Belanger.

Belanger was useless. Not only that, he was apparently a d-bag.
Petrell was a better hockey player that Gazdic sure (*edit: well some nights) but he really didn't help us win games and did not intimidate anyone physically. Gazdic is the perfect guy for that spot.

Old
10-11-2013, 05:57 PM
Connor McOilers
We suck.

Won't really be able to judge if his system is any good until the players figure it out and play it.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Yes 100% I would take Acton over Belanger.

Belanger was useless. Not only that, he was apparently a d-bag.
Petrell was a better hockey player that Gazdic sure, but he really didn't help us win games and did not intimidate anyone physically. Gazdic is the perfect guy for that spot.
Petrell was often high on the team in terms of hitting if memory serves. On top of occasionally pretending to be able to kill a penalty and at least managing to fool much of this board that he was actually good at it.

I'm also not sure who anybody on the Oilers is capable of intimidating if Lars Eller still attempts to break Hall's neck after staring at his number for a couple of seconds.

When guys like Brown and Gazdic are on the ice the other team doesn't seem to be thinking about anything other than the scoring chances they're about to get.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:02 PM
KClovesGaming

I've liked most of what he's done, it's just up to the players to go out there and do it. One thing I dislike is how he keeps going back to Smyth and Yakupov is like a lost puppy trying to find a home. He's just not getting the system. It's much too early to know for sure what will happen. Ask me again 25-30 games in.

The team should have beat Winnipeg, lost in Vancouver horribly, got lucky against NJ and I do feel they deserved the game last night against Montreal. So, they should be 2-2 at the moment which isn't the end of the world. I think the team will get better as time goes on or they could fall flat on their faces and get destroyed on this upcoming trip.

What scares me is that they aren't even facing teams in their own division yet (minus Vancouver). I was hoping or am hoping they have a respectable record in the first month because when it's all said and done, then comes games in their own tough division.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:09 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Petrell was often high on the team in terms of hitting if memory serves. On top of occasionally pretending to be able to kill a penalty and at least managing to fool much of this board that he was actually good at it.

I'm also not sure who anybody on the Oilers is capable of intimidating if Lars Eller still attempts to break Hall's neck after staring at his number for a couple of seconds.

When guys like Brown and Gazdic are on the ice the other team doesn't seem to be thinking about anything other than the scoring chances they're about to get.
What Eller did is never going to stop anyways. Gazdic could have easily made Gorges leave on a stretcher too just from a clean hit. That's what I like to see. You want guys looking over their shoulder or giving up on loose pucks because some monster is skating down on them. Give it a month and guys won't be so sure of themselves when on the ice against him.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:19 PM
aki

His wife is hot.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:38 PM
jp7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
His wife is hot.

Yes, yes she is. I would love to disappoint her one night

It's a bit too early to be making definitive judgements on Eakins imo. I like what he's been preaching, but unless we go 1-20-0 or something I don't feel any need to panic. It's going to take the players a while to adjust to his system, and we all know how many coaches we've been through in the past half-decade. We need some stability behind the bench.

Old
10-11-2013, 07:20 PM
Gone
Fire KLowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I love that three of his best players are all top 5 in ice time in the entire NHL. Jason Gregor was taking earlier today about how we essentially have 7 top 6 forwards with the amount of time those forward have been given.

If we are going to lose, we are going to lose with our best players.
I heard Yak's mom called him and gave him an earful for not playing her boy more. Damn hockey parents!

Old
10-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Dio666

Dallas kinda reminds me of the Doctor.

On a side note. I'm a huge fan of the very underrated (and great imo) David Tennant!

Closed Thread