HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux?

Old
10-11-2013, 08:59 PM
Victory5

vCash: 500
Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux?

Was watching some of the old 2010 highlights during that run to the cup. Even 3 years ago, Giroux looked more relaxed, creative, and driven then he looks now. I feel that after the series with the Pens, Giroux's play has not only declined, but he just looks uncomfortable in every facet of the game.

We cant fault Lavy for naming him Captain, he was the obvious choice, but has it hurt his play? At this point 2010 Giroux>2013 Giroux.

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:03 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Who's Giroux?

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:04 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

As much as will hate the Lindros deal till the day I die I will say that he certainly knew how to be a captain. No one since him has.

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:05 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Who's Giroux?
Apparently the best player in the world

Old
10-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
As much as will hate the Lindros deal till the day I die I will say that he certainly knew how to be a captain. No one since him has.
Pronger?

In fact, I would argue that since Prongers injury, this team has completely fallen apart (outside of 1 series vs the Pens)

Old
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Garbage Goal

I think everybody except Mason has an invisible C on them then.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Appleyard
HFB Partner

The C is cursed... by Bobby Clarke.

That is the only logical explanation! ;p Look at all the guys who wore it after him, injuries, fall outs, disappointments, stepping down etc etc.

Appleyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

No. not having good players around him has hurt Giroux. Hartnell and Simmonds? rotfl.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
No. not having good players around him has hurt Giroux. Hartnell and Simmonds? rotfl.
Kris Newbury has more points than him. The excuses are running dry at this point.

I don't think it has anything to do with being name captain neither for the record. Giroux has been very inconsistent over the last two years though for what ever reasons. Maybe I just expected more after two years ago & shouldn't have/be.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 10-11-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old
10-11-2013, 09:20 PM
Garbage Goal

Potentially entering another Richards-like era with "leadership" is going to give me a heart attack.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Boxscore
#oldNHL

Quote:
Kris Newbury has more points than him. The excuses are running dry at this point.
Oh there's no excuse for not having ANY points. No question of that. But the teams is pretty piss poor.

Boxscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:23 PM
Geese_Howard*

Looks like it

Geese_Howard* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Potentially entering another Richards-like era with "leadership" is going to give me a heart attack.
Richards never played like the way Giroux played now.

Even during 06-07

Old
10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Oh man, here we go.

10-11-2013, 09:27 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
The "C" is hockey is probably the most overrated thing in all of sports in my opinion. I really don't believe you become a bad player or a crappy leader just because of a letter on your sweater.

Plenty of players have been great leaders and haven't worn the C.

To piggy-back what Garbage Goal said, I remember plenty of people who are Flyers fans arguing with me that Carter was too soft and Richards had no heart. They get traded away and all of the sudden their partying and drinking didn't affect the Kings cup run.

It's amazing how problems and issues go away when you play on a team that has a goalie who can actually play. Something tells me Richards and Carter weren't partying any less in LA.

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:31 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Richards never played like the way Giroux played now.

Even during 06-07
That's true yet people still questioned his leadership and maturity. Same thing here, just for slightly different reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
The "C" is hockey is probably the most overrated thing in all of sports in my opinion. I really don't believe you become a bad player or a crappy leader just because of a letter on your sweater.

Plenty of players have been great leaders and haven't worn the C.

To piggy-back what Garbage Goal said, I remember plenty of people who are Flyers fans arguing with me that Carter was too soft and Richards had no heart. They get traded away and all of the sudden their partying and drinking didn't affect the Kings cup run.

It's amazing how problems and issues go away when you play on a team that has a goalie who can actually play. Something tells me Richards and Carter weren't partying any less in LA.
That's exactly what I think. People will fight with you tooth and nail that despite not knowing any of this for sure that Richards wasn't qualified to be a leader.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:36 PM
Roman Reigns

G has been bad so far this year but let's stop overreacting with this ''the C is too much pressure'' crap. It's the most overrated thing in all of sports. I have to agree with something Coatesy said is which is rare for me but if this slump was happening to him in the middle of the season rather than the beginning we wouldn't be making as big of a deal about it as we are now.

Roman Reigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:37 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

I believe the C has ruined Roo in the sense he now puts so much ungodly pressure on himself to carry the team, he ends up doing more harm than good.

By no means would I trade him, but it would be interesting if we could drop the C from his title and just go tell the guy to go have fun.

He clearly hasn't have fun since the Penguins series.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:39 PM
Garbage Goal

Out of curiosity, does the NHL require a player to have the C? Or can we just run a team with some A's or not even an A on anybody at all? It would never happen, just curious.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:41 PM
FlyerSithLord

Send a message via AIM to FlyerSithLord
Quote:
Out of curiosity, does the NHL require a player to have the C? Or can we just run a team with some A's or not even an A on anybody at all? It would never happen, just curious.
I guess technically you don't. I know teams that have had captains injured long term have played seasons without anyone officially wearing it.

Hell, is there a rule on the number of letters? Just give everyone an A and they can all wilt under the tremendous pressure of the leadership letters

FlyerSithLord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 09:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
You can have three A's, you're not required to have a Captain. I don't know if you can do it for an extensive time though like more than a year or two.

Old
10-11-2013, 09:46 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
I guess technically you don't. I know teams that have had captains injured long term have played seasons without anyone officially wearing it.

Hell, is there a rule on the number of letters? Just give everyone an A and they can all wilt under the tremendous pressure of the leadership letters
I know there's a limit on A and C. Not sure of the exact number, but it's small.

Quote:
You can have three A's, you're not required to have a Captain. I don't know if you can do it for an extensive time though like more than a year or two.
Makes me curios why nobody ever just runs a team without a C. Makes sense really, just would be awkward and controversial just for the sheer fact that it's kind of expected that a team has a C for some reason.

Old
10-11-2013, 10:02 PM
Common Sense

Quote:
Makes me curios why nobody ever just runs a team without a C. Makes sense really, just would be awkward and controversial just for the sheer fact that it's kind of expected that a team has a C for some reason.
It does happen. CBJ hasn't had a C since they traded Nash.

Common Sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Was watching some of the old 2010 highlights during that run to the cup. Even 3 years ago, Giroux looked more relaxed, creative, and driven then he looks now. I feel that after the series with the Pens, Giroux's play has not only declined, but he just looks uncomfortable in every facet of the game.

We cant fault Lavy for naming him Captain, he was the obvious choice, but has it hurt his play? At this point 2010 Giroux>2013 Giroux.
It helped that, back then, he had Richards, Carter, Gagne, and Briere to draw attention away from him and give him room to work. Now teams can focus on him.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM
MsWoof

If you are a leader you don't need a letter. Watch Richards after every shift, he's always talking to the officials and when he's on a shift during a critical time, he talks to the players more than Sutter. You don't see that from Brown, Kopitar or Greene so the letter doesn't mean anything.

I don't know what's happening with Giroux but I have to wonder if he doesn't like being "the" guy.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote