HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Has the pressure of wearing the 'C' hurt Giroux?

Old
10-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Clown Baby

vCash: 500
EXPLODING.

GOLF CLUB.

When your best asset is your hands (vision be damned... if you don't have hands you're not getting the puck there), having MULTIPLE surgeries on your wrists is going to take its toll. I don't expect to see the real Claude until next season when he's had a full off-season to recover, assuming nothing else comes up.

Clown Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:22 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

The Captain argument is overblown, but Giroux needs to be producing, regardless.

He's gonna be making 8 million per year, next year. 0 points is unacceptable, but its definitely not for lack of effort.

The sad part is his linemates have been playing like garbage too, so they have been no help either.

Sniped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 10:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
If you are a leader you don't need a letter. Watch Richards after every shift, he's always talking to the officials and when he's on a shift during a critical time, he talks to the players more than Sutter. You don't see that from Brown, Kopitar or Greene so the letter doesn't mean anything.

I don't know what's happening with Giroux but I have to wonder if he doesn't like being "the" guy.
I remember watching a documentary on what it's like to be an NHL ref. It was basically like a 24/7 for refs. They followed a few refs around, Bill McCreary was one of them (it was his last year of refing) but anyway one the other refs they followed around was a young ref who split time between the NHL & AHL, during a game a player was hassling him every call & an older ref stepped in warned the teams bench that if a non letter wearing player does it again (the player wasn't one) he was going to give them an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I don't know if that's like an unwritten rule for refs or if it was just that case but what you said just reminded me of it.

Chris Pronger had a funny part in it too when he told McCreary he was going to kill Phil Kessel.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 11:05 PM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Definition View Post
It does happen. CBJ hasn't had a C since they traded Nash.
Didn't know that, that's interesting. Seems to be working for them at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I remember watching a documentary on what it's like to be an NHL ref. It was basically like a 24/7 for refs. They followed a few refs around, Bill McCreary was one of them (it was his last year of refing) but anyway one the other refs they followed around was a young ref who split time between the NHL & AHL, during a game a player was hassling him every call & an older ref stepped in warned the teams bench that if a non letter wearing player does it again (the player wasn't one) he was going to give them an unsportsmanlike penalty.

I don't know if that's like an unwritten rule for refs or if it was just that case but what you said just reminded me of it.

Chris Pronger had a funny part in it too when he told McCreary he was going to kill Phil Kessel.
I know that most of the on-ice purpose of the A and C is that those are supposed to be the only players that talk to the refs about things. I think it's some type of rule it's just not really enforced. Similar to the jersey tuck or stick blade curve.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:44 AM
Readyrock
(・_・;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Even 3 years ago, Giroux looked more relaxed, creative, and driven then he looks now.
He is currently playing with the worst offensive unit in the league.

Readyrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:55 AM
MayonnaiseOreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
As much as will hate the Lindros deal till the day I die I will say that he certainly knew how to be a captain. No one since him has.
My dad would fully disagree with you on that one. I was only 4 when they went to the '97 Finals but he said after watching the Flyers get swept the way that they did he knew that Lindros wouldn't have what it took to be a captain and lead his team to victory.

Then again, he's also one of the people who yells "shoot!" when we watch the game and the Flyers are on the PP.

MayonnaiseOreo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHI Flyers10 View Post
My dad would fully disagree with you on that one. I was only 4 when they went to the '97 Finals but he said after watching the Flyers get swept the way that they did he knew that Lindros wouldn't have what it took to be a captain and lead his team to victory.

Then again, he's also one of the people who yells "shoot!" when we watch the game and the Flyers are on the PP.
I mean, in '97 it was essentially a one line team against a dynasty coming into being. They shut down the one line. Yzerman and Lidstrom alone will do that to you.

10-12-2013, 12:59 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyrock View Post
He is currently playing with the worst offensive unit in the league.
Hey, hey.. We aren't Buffalo bad yet. Just wait til they play their 5th game and pass us.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:12 AM
kelmitchell

A big problem is he doesn't really have anyone to help him succeed and take attention away from him i mean really hartnell simmonds schenn they aren't really that good he' has nobody to help him shine he's trying to do it all by himself and hasn't performed so now he's having confidencee issues no stupid ass curse seems like nobody has any heart on this team either

kelmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:25 AM
Toonces
The beer kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post
Pronger?
Primeau did a pretty damn good job too.

Giroux is fine, there are much bigger problems in Philly than him.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:08 AM
mikedeej97

I'll agree that he's putting some added pressure on himself right now, but not because he wears the C. It's because he's the best player on a team full of stiffs. It isn't an excuse, it's reality. Watch the games.

mikedeej97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:24 AM
JustJim

Currently on the Flyers there is Mark Streit ( former Islanders captain) , and Vincent Lacavalier ( former Lightening captain) , not to mention other players who've held the title assistant captain like Kimmo on board....yet this team looks like a rudderless ship.
Giroux has been saddled with steering this group, but has line mates that absolutely suck at disciplined playing ( Hartnell and Simmons).
It's ridiculous that this captain dilemma continues with that much " leadership" on this team!
Get rid of Holmgren, now!!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 08:36 AM
flyershockey

The captaincy shouldn't put any more pressure on Giroux. This team is loaded with leadership experience. The combination of pressing and **** linemates for his style is crushing him at the moment.

flyershockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:12 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Long-term, Giroux will be fine with the C. Just growing pains right now coupled with him recovering from the offseason.

The only thing Giroux's guilty of is trying too hard. Sometimes guys who get letters -- namely the C -- just try to overextend themselves and do too much, and that's where things get messy. Hopefully, he plays within himself and has some fun. There aren't many players who are more fun to watch than G when he's on.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Legion of Gloom
.....Flyer Alarm

vCash: 625
For a guy who has no confidence right now, he sure had the confidence to ask for 9 million and be paid like one of the elite NHL players, so I do not buy into the Captain curse or whatever. Time for him to play like he knows he can. As of right know I was correct in saying his new contract was an over payment, I hope he proves me wrong.

Legion of Gloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:54 AM
Dirty but Good
but mostly dirty

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
Long-term, Giroux will be fine with the C. Just growing pains right now coupled with him recovering from the offseason.

The only thing Giroux's guilty of is trying too hard. Sometimes guys who get letters -- namely the C -- just try to overextend themselves and do too much, and that's where things get messy. Hopefully, he plays within himself and has some fun. There aren't many players who are more fun to watch than G when he's on.
I agree with you on almost all parts. I think he still needs that veteran first line winger to really get him going, i know it won't happen but he's not getting much help from his linemates so far this year.

Dirty but Good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:36 PM
moosehead81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerSithLord View Post
The "C" is hockey is probably the most overrated thing in all of sports in my opinion. I really don't believe you become a bad player or a crappy leader just because of a letter on your sweater.

Plenty of players have been great leaders and haven't worn the C.

To piggy-back what Garbage Goal said, I remember plenty of people who are Flyers fans arguing with me that Carter was too soft and Richards had no heart. They get traded away and all of the sudden their partying and drinking didn't affect the Kings cup run.

It's amazing how problems and issues go away when you play on a team that has a goalie who can actually play. Something tells me Richards and Carter weren't partying any less in LA.
A lot of dejavue going on here! Sends me back in a nostalgia kind of way to 2010-11; in the first place, I'm not sure that Carter and Richards actually partied that hard when they were in Philadelphia and Giroux probably currently parties no less than them, except he's learned to not expose himself (maybe he learned something from Richie). However, if I know the Flyers, they'll probably trade Claude off to some team where he'll immediately excel and win a Stanley Cup.

moosehead81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 03:17 PM
UKFlyers

Think it's more the pressure of being the team's star than the C. Even if he wasn't captain, he'd still be the one expected to make something happen when the team's struggling offensively. He's trying too hard and is trying to force things at the moment. He needs to let it come to him. We all know he has the ability.

UKFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

The pressure of the C or captains curse excuse. Why do flyers fans always come out with this.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 11:10 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
I would rather have had Kimmo have the C until he retires and then Giroux take over but it happened already and he will be fine.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:42 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
The pressure of the C or captains curse excuse. Why do flyers fans always come out with this.
The curse excuse is stupid.

However I do find it interesting that most dismiss the effects of additional pressure of being the main media outlet for the team (other than the coach and GM) so easily.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 09:14 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustafsson View Post
No. not having good players around him has hurt Giroux. Hartnell and Simmonds? rotfl.
I wouldn't say Hartnell and Simmonds are the problem - more the defenseman he has to play with.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 09:58 PM
FlyersFan61290

Blaming others for G's struggles is a cop-out. They may be the difference between G being a ppg plus player or a 70 pt player but he's been invisible at times. This goes back to last yr.

With that said I'm not worried about him, it's only been 6 games.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Blaming others for G's struggles is a cop-out. They may be the difference between G being a ppg plus player or a 70 pt player but he's been invisible at times. This goes back to last yr.

With that said I'm not worried about him, it's only been 6 games.
And last year he was a PPG player.

He's an 80-90 point player like he's been for the past 250 or whatever games it's been. The problem this year is that everyone is struggling. If no one else is scoring there is no one to take the pressure off of him.

If you look around at the top offensive players, they all have someone else that's very good as well. Crosby has Malkin which helps split up defensive assignments, Stamkos had St. Louis, the Sedins have each other, Ovechkin has Backstrom. Really the only one in a similar position as Giroux is Tavares.

Giroux may have Jake, but he's coming off an injury right now, and Hartnell is a guy that doesn't really create offense. I think in a couple weeks Giroux and Voracek will be putting up multiple point nights fairly regularly. They just have to actually be left together.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
Codith

He was a point per game player last year as a captain, when they missed the playoffs, do yo really think all of a sudden the captaincy is having an affect on him? Guy is having confidence issues and part if it is probably mental stuff with his hand.

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote