HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Adirondack Phantoms (AHL), ECHL, NCAA, Juniors, International, etc.

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2013, 06:01 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
I've read people say that London might trade for him. That would be convenient for Flyer fans.
I live in London and I haven't read, seen or heard anything around London in which the Knights are prepared to make a move for Laughton. With Domi and Horvat back in the lineup and with McCarron, the Rupert brothers, Josh Anderson, and some other young players they're working in at forward, they just don't have a need for Laughton.

As well, Oshawa has a very, very strong club this year. The only way they move Laughton is if they tank unexpectedly and that certainly isn't happening. DJ Smith and Jeff Twohey have done a fantastic job rebuilding the Generals since they took over.

Old
10-12-2013, 06:42 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Cousins' skating looked pretty good on that McGinn goal.

There was more excitement in those highlights than in the Flyers season so far.
Cousins' skating gets ragged on a lot. He'll never be a burner, no doubt. But he's very effective at getting where he needs to go. The Flyers also had a third rounder they drafted back in 1993 who also had questions about his skating. He turned out to have an OK career in the NHL. His name was Vaclav Prospal.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:51 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Cousins' skating gets ragged on a lot. He'll never be a burner, no doubt. But he's very effective at getting where he needs to go. The Flyers also had a third rounder they drafted back in 1993 who also had questions about his skating. He turned out to have an OK career in the NHL. His name was Vaclav Prospal.
Yeah, I look at a guy like Gallagher on the Habs as a guy who just knows where go on the ice and fights like hell to for his space. I can see Cousins as a similar player. Guys like Verbeek or Ciccarelli from the past.

Old
10-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Winston Wolf

Oshawa's record was 2-2 before Laughton was sent down, now they are 7-2. Laughton has been first star 4 out of the 5 games he's played, which is insane.

Old
10-12-2013, 06:25 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston Wolf View Post
Oshawa's record was 2-2 before Laughton was sent down, now they are 7-2. Laughton has been first star 4 out of the 5 games he's played, which is insane.
He has nothing left to prove. He should be on the Flyers.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Winston Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
It's looking like that, but he's honestly never had this opportunity before. It would be nice to have him right now with all the injuries though.

Old
10-12-2013, 08:42 PM
FLYguy3911

Gostisbehere has 2 assists in Union's second game of the year. Still in the 2nd period.

EDIT: And another

Last edited by FLYguy3911: 10-12-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 09:32 PM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
I live in London and I haven't read, seen or heard anything around London in which the Knights are prepared to make a move for Laughton. With Domi and Horvat back in the lineup and with McCarron, the Rupert brothers, Josh Anderson, and some other young players they're working in at forward, they just don't have a need for Laughton.

As well, Oshawa has a very, very strong club this year. The only way they move Laughton is if they tank unexpectedly and that certainly isn't happening. DJ Smith and Jeff Twohey have done a fantastic job rebuilding the Generals since they took over.
Yeah, that's just my wishful thinking, so I can see him in the Mem Cup guaranteed.

He's looking very good for Oshawa, but he can still be better all over the ice. He was getting a bit sloppy on his coverage, and he being a bit bigger and stronger will help him in the pros.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:46 PM
flyersfan28

derek mathers win a fight vs dylan mcilrath tonight

Old
10-13-2013, 04:59 AM
RussianRocket10

Morin had a goal and an assist in his return to the lineup.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:02 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The thing is, where would you play Laughton? I agree with his junior coach, DJ Smith, that playing Laughton on the fourth line does nothing but stunt his development. I know some will point to Couturier as proof otherwise, but Couturier's offensive game hasn't progressed to where it should be and I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there's some merit in terms of not developing players on the fourth line.

As well, the good thing about Laughton going back to junior is that he's getting the opportunity to really build his offensive game. He would never get that opportunity if he stayed in Philadelphia. We're watching him really turn things up offensively and maybe that's a good thing for him - get some confidence going offensively and when he comes to camp next year, he pushes everyone and maybe knocks someone out of the center spot to the wing. I know "high improbable", but not impossible either.

Old
10-14-2013, 09:04 AM
Hiesenberg

Looks like a few good days for the Flyers prospects, can't say as much for the Flyers.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:19 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Anthony Stolarz stats line so far:
Games Played - 6
Minutes - 360
Shots Faced - 189
Saves Made - 177
Goals Allowed - 12
Shutouts - 1
Goals Against Average - 2.00
Save Percentage - .937
Win/Loss Record - 6 Wins, 0 Losses

Scott Laughton stats line so far:
Games Played - 5
Goals - 5
Assists - 7
Points - 12
PIM - 12

Samuel Morin stats line so far:
Games Played - 4
Goals - 1
Assists - 1
Points - 2
PIM - 12

Taylor Leier stats line so far:
Games Played - 8
Goals - 4
Assists - 6
Points - 10
PIM - 6

Tyrell Goulbourne stats line so far:
Games Played - 8
Goals - 0
Assists - 4
Points - 4
PIM - 9

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the NCAA/European items, but figured I'd keep a running tally every Monday with regards to our CHL prospects.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:27 AM
Hiesenberg

Appreciate the info. Nice to keep track of them. Solid start all around from some of the top prospects. Stolarz looks pretty ridiculous right now.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Can someone who has seen the Knights give some context to Stolarz's numbers? He seems to be playing on a stacked team.

My perception last year was that he was able to effectively rely on his freakish combination of size and athleticism to cover up mistakes in positioning, etc. (That was mostly from reading reports, I don't see much CHL myself).

Old
10-14-2013, 10:36 AM
flyershockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Can someone who has seen the Knights give some context to Stolarz's numbers? He seems to be playing on a stacked team.

My perception last year was that he was able to effectively rely on his freakish combination of size and athleticism to cover up mistakes in positioning, etc. (That was mostly from reading reports, I don't see much CHL myself).
I think I've read that his biggest improvement from last year to this one has been in his positioning. He's relying on it more and more, versus letting his supreme athleticism take over.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:36 AM
BillDineen

Hagg:

http://www.shl.se/statistics/players...ll/All/All/dec

Gostisbehere:

http://www.collegehockeystats.net/1314/teamstats/unim

Vasilyev:

http://en.khl.ru/players/17580/

Larsson: (and his epic stache)

http://ushl2011.stats.pointstreak.co...seasonid=11221

Last edited by BillDineen: 10-14-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old
10-14-2013, 11:18 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Well so far this year London hasn't had their top two defenders in Maatta & Zadorov yet. Domi & Horvat just came back recently (Domi got suspended one of his first games back). They really haven't been playing with a full deck up to this point.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:30 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:

Stolarz has been fantastic this year and his technique has improved night and day. He's no longer relying on his athleticism to make saves and has really learned to square himself to the shooter. The other thing that has really improved is his stick handling. It's clear that he's had some conversations with Hextall on stick handling because he's very comfortable at handling the puck. He's got a way to go, but it is significantly better than what it used to be.

He still has to learn on how to control rebounds a bit better. He's learned how to angle rebounds accordingly though and that's a huge step. He's really adept at angling rebounds so that they hit the corners for his defenders.

The other thing that I noticed is that Stolarz is very vocal and very active with his defense group. It's clear he has a very good rapport with the guys and most important, if they give up a bad play, he never throws them under the bus.

People talk about playing on a "stacked" London team, but I don't think the Knights are as stacked as others are making them out to be. Their defense is probably going to take a huge hit with both Matta and Zadorov probably not returning to London, plus with Harrington and Griffith gone and the recent trade of Remi Elie, those are big shoes to replace. In all fairness, Stolarz has really stepped up and carried this Knights team on his back. I'd say he's stolen at least two or three games for them that they had no right to win.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

Homer taking in the Phantoms game today. No clue why, but probably just watching the kids play.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Homer taking in the Phantoms game today. No clue why, but probably just watching the kids play.
Maybe a move coming, another call-up, trade (even minor league one).

Or nothing of course.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:02 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
Maybe a move coming, another call-up, trade (even minor league one).

Or nothing of course.
It is probably nothing but if one or two of the kids can get ready in a hurry, it will open up some trade options.

Old
10-14-2013, 05:02 PM
Roo Mad Bro
U havin a giggle m8?

Supposedly Stolarz did all he could to keep London in the game this afternoon.

They were up 2-1 but Kitchener scored with a minute to go, then won in OT.

His 1st loss of the year. Saved 36/39 shots (.923 SV%)

Old
10-14-2013, 05:49 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo Mad Bro View Post
Supposedly Stolarz did all he could to keep London in the game this afternoon.

They were up 2-1 but Kitchener scored with a minute to go, then won in OT.

His 1st loss of the year. Saved 36/39 shots (.923 SV%)
Yeah baby!!

Old
10-14-2013, 05:51 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Okay, now that I got that out of my system...

Stolarz was very good today. He made a few really good saves, and all the routine ones you expect him to make. Considering the D in front of him is nowhere near where it was last year, it`s not a stretch to say he`s the main reason London is doing so well.

Closed Thread