HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

What the HELL is going on with Henrik Lundqvist?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-11-2013, 05:27 PM
  #151
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,312
vCash: 500
Contract year, he will bounce back...

BLONG7 is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 06:01 PM
  #152
ugrimugri
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Estonia
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
Contract year, he will bounce back...
Contract year, he's exposed and nervouzz regarding if his agent is actually handling the negotiations right (he isn't...).
Should of accepted whatever Sather offered pre the preseason, because this initial offer is now probably dropping down almost daily - but this is actually a good thing for the real rangers fans

ugrimugri is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 06:10 PM
  #153
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,522
vCash: 500
The prospect of Henrik Lundqvist not re-signing with this team shouldn't be considered a good thing to real Ranger fans

Unless you're prepared for another half assed rebuild to mediocrity that is

JohnC is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 06:16 PM
  #154
Stasis
Mad Decent
 
Stasis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: FrmNYC-InMTL
Posts: 925
vCash: 500
We have no other option. It's Lundqvist or nothing at this point. None of our prospects are even close to ready to stepping in as primary, and may never be. Sad reality. Pick up someone in a trade, or UFA? Won't be better, and will cost a lot. Assuming Hank wants at least $8M (which he does), we'll save maybe $2-3M for something that won't compare at all unless we're extremely lucky, which we've never really been.

At the moment I don't really wanna give Hank $9M+ for 8 years with the way the team is playing because I think it's a waste that won't be put to good use. If we're not competing consistently there's no reason to spend so much on our goalie. He's not going to put us over the top and give us a shot at the cup. But we're too early in the year to know, so hopefully the fact that he hasn't signed an extension is as much the product of his hesitating about spending the rest of his career here, and management trying to determine if it's really worth doing with the way things are going.

Stasis is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 06:24 PM
  #155
ugrimugri
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Estonia
Posts: 153
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
The prospect of Henrik Lundqvist not re-signing with this team shouldn't be considered a good thing to real Ranger fans

Unless you're prepared for another half assed rebuild to mediocrity that is
---

Not re-signing? He will re-sign for sure but it's quite a difference what the numbers are.
Pre pre-season it seemed to be ok to give the guy a blank cheque, now probably the real rangers fans appreciate that another ridiculous contract wasn't signed too soon.

ugrimugri is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 06:39 PM
  #156
haveandare
Registered User
 
haveandare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,798
vCash: 500
This title is so dumb. Was Stepan "the NEW Stepan" when he was struggling to start last season? It's a rough start for everyone. Hank is still among the best goalies alive. He'll be fine once the team figures out how to play their new style effectively.

haveandare is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 07:00 PM
  #157
HockeyBasedNYC
Registered User
 
HockeyBasedNYC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Here
Country: United States
Posts: 12,863
vCash: 500
This isnt the first time i've said this, but its probably more pertinent now more than ever.

I said directly after the Rangers lost to Boston that they should seriously consider shoring up their backup goaltending situation by signing another real backup option for Henrik.

With what transpired in camp (a half assed effort at shoring up that situation, because of the cap issues mainly) its obvious that AV has little confidence in Biron and wants to ride him out of town. (Gross echoed the same sentiment today).

In an Olympic year the Rangers are going to need a backup who can spell Lundqvist for 20, maybe 25 games and at Biron's age and lack of playing time last year I feel like hes not the greatest choice. Two years ago, yes.

Its not about Biron's play to be honest. Its about being proactive. He shouldnt be on this team next season and quite honestly the way the team and Hank are struggling right now the extra "motivation" of having a semi #1 who could push Lundqvist (not that he needs much pushing, but that never hurts for someone as competitive as he is) wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

I almost feel like AV is setting up Biron to fail tomorrow night. I know thats not the case but this early in the season the way the Rangers have played I think you would want to give the team the best chance to win every night to try and get on track. Starting Biron against a team whos outscored the opposition 14-4 in the last 3 is almost raising up a white flag.

But it could also be AV giving Hank some needed mental recovery time. Whatever it is, I still feel like the Rangers management dropped the ball on this one and it will rear its ugly head this season.

What could they have done with the cap issues they made for themselves? Buy-out Richards. Trade a redundant piece like Pyatt. Get some room to do some things instead of using the tight cap as negotiation leverage. Its a tough call, because that leverage has landed us a hell of a good deal with McDonagh. But it also proved to be a negative with the Stepan holdout.

We'll see, but I still feel like they need to do something about this.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 07:55 PM
  #158
beauchamp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Laval, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,615
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWOW View Post
Look at Lundqvists career splits. October is his worst month.
Nope.

December.

beauchamp is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 10:04 PM
  #159
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR
 
CHGoalie27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoFLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,401
vCash: 500
Not so sry to say Datcyl, Hank 1, Rinne/Quick 2a&b.

CHGoalie27 is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 10:18 PM
  #160
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I almost feel like AV is setting up Biron to fail tomorrow night. I know thats not the case but this early in the season the way the Rangers have played I think you would want to give the team the best chance to win every night to try and get on track. Starting Biron against a team whos outscored the opposition 14-4 in the last 3 is almost raising up a white flag.
I don't think AV throwing Biron under the bus. It is hard to play any worse than Lundqvist. At the moment he is last in the league. We can blame the team in front, but it is a weak excuse. While he had his ups and downs (mostly ups ) Hank has never look that bad. It should not be for long. The break may be needed. Thus, Biron. We may lose to STL, but it will not be because of weak G. Biron will come up big.


Last edited by 94now: 10-11-2013 at 10:34 PM.
94now is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 10:35 PM
  #161
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie72 View Post
Not so sry to say Datcyl, Hank 1, Rinne/Quick 2a&b.
what?

Dactyl is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 11:00 PM
  #162
ncmike
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 263
vCash: 500
Can they buy out Richards during the season, or do they have to wait till the off season?

ncmike is offline  
Old
10-11-2013, 11:30 PM
  #163
Emptyvoid
Registered User
 
Emptyvoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmike View Post
Can they buy out Richards during the season, or do they have to wait till the off season?
If he doesn't get injured long term, they can buy him out during the offseason.

Emptyvoid is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 09:41 AM
  #164
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,438
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This isnt the first time i've said this, but its probably more pertinent now more than ever.

I said directly after the Rangers lost to Boston that they should seriously consider shoring up their backup goaltending situation by signing another real backup option for Henrik.

With what transpired in camp (a half assed effort at shoring up that situation, because of the cap issues mainly) its obvious that AV has little confidence in Biron and wants to ride him out of town. (Gross echoed the same sentiment today).

In an Olympic year the Rangers are going to need a backup who can spell Lundqvist for 20, maybe 25 games and at Biron's age and lack of playing time last year I feel like hes not the greatest choice. Two years ago, yes.

Its not about Biron's play to be honest. Its about being proactive. He shouldnt be on this team next season and quite honestly the way the team and Hank are struggling right now the extra "motivation" of having a semi #1 who could push Lundqvist (not that he needs much pushing, but that never hurts for someone as competitive as he is) wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

I almost feel like AV is setting up Biron to fail tomorrow night. I know thats not the case but this early in the season the way the Rangers have played I think you would want to give the team the best chance to win every night to try and get on track. Starting Biron against a team whos outscored the opposition 14-4 in the last 3 is almost raising up a white flag.

But it could also be AV giving Hank some needed mental recovery time. Whatever it is, I still feel like the Rangers management dropped the ball on this one and it will rear its ugly head this season.

What could they have done with the cap issues they made for themselves? Buy-out Richards. Trade a redundant piece like Pyatt. Get some room to do some things instead of using the tight cap as negotiation leverage. Its a tough call, because that leverage has landed us a hell of a good deal with McDonagh. But it also proved to be a negative with the Stepan holdout.

We'll see, but I still feel like they need to do something about this.
Ever since Benoit Allaire announced that Cam Talbot was NHL ready Lundqvist has played poorly. So if the plan is to ride Biron out of town & bring up Talbot to backup Lundqvist that doesn't really slove the issue...unless Talbot plays lights put like Lundqvist did when he was called up in 05'. Which would than open up a whole new can of worms.

Could anyone here imagine if Lundqvist had signed an extension & was playing this poorly? We would be ready to lynch him opening night at MSG.

Baby Punisher is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 09:53 AM
  #165
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Punisher View Post
Ever since Benoit Allaire announced that Cam Talbot was NHL ready Lundqvist has played poorly. So if the plan is to ride Biron out of town & bring up Talbot to backup Lundqvist that doesn't really slove the issue...unless Talbot plays lights put like Lundqvist did when he was called up in 05'. Which would than open up a whole new can of worms.

Could anyone here imagine if Lundqvist had signed an extension & was playing this poorly? We would be ready to lynch him opening night at MSG.
what are the odds that cam can be a solid starting goalie in the nhl?

Dactyl is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 10:55 AM
  #166
Ail
k.
 
Ail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 15,982
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
This isnt the first time i've said this, but its probably more pertinent now more than ever.

I said directly after the Rangers lost to Boston that they should seriously consider shoring up their backup goaltending situation by signing another real backup option for Henrik.

With what transpired in camp (a half assed effort at shoring up that situation, because of the cap issues mainly) its obvious that AV has little confidence in Biron and wants to ride him out of town. (Gross echoed the same sentiment today).

In an Olympic year the Rangers are going to need a backup who can spell Lundqvist for 20, maybe 25 games and at Biron's age and lack of playing time last year I feel like hes not the greatest choice. Two years ago, yes.

Its not about Biron's play to be honest. Its about being proactive. He shouldnt be on this team next season and quite honestly the way the team and Hank are struggling right now the extra "motivation" of having a semi #1 who could push Lundqvist (not that he needs much pushing, but that never hurts for someone as competitive as he is) wouldn't be the worse thing in the world.

I almost feel like AV is setting up Biron to fail tomorrow night. I know thats not the case but this early in the season the way the Rangers have played I think you would want to give the team the best chance to win every night to try and get on track. Starting Biron against a team whos outscored the opposition 14-4 in the last 3 is almost raising up a white flag.

But it could also be AV giving Hank some needed mental recovery time. Whatever it is, I still feel like the Rangers management dropped the ball on this one and it will rear its ugly head this season.

What could they have done with the cap issues they made for themselves? Buy-out Richards. Trade a redundant piece like Pyatt. Get some room to do some things instead of using the tight cap as negotiation leverage. Its a tough call, because that leverage has landed us a hell of a good deal with McDonagh. But it also proved to be a negative with the Stepan holdout.

We'll see, but I still feel like they need to do something about this.
Agree with this completely. I think starting Biron tonight is a death sentence unless he has one of his god-mode games from 2 years ago, which I doubt he will.

Henrik should be playing tonight.

__________________
Ail is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:11 PM
  #167
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
It's not anything to do with smaller pads. It's coaching and style of play that is causing this.

Look, I'll say right off the bat, I don't think Lundquist is the best goalie in the league. I think he is overrated, i think he has had coaches and players that play to his style, with AV that will not happen.

As a Canuck fan who thinks that Luongo has gotten the shaft from nearly everybody who has a keyboard, I will say that any success that the Canucks have had over the last few years has been down to Luongo and Schneider's great goaltending. AV has hung the goalies out to dry for as long as I can remember, so Lundquist (and Ranger fans) had better get used to it.

As I've said in other threads, this year we're gonna see the real Henrik Lundquist.

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:19 PM
  #168
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
It's not anything to do with smaller pads. It's coaching and style of play that is causing this.

Look, I'll say right off the bat, I don't think Lundquist is the best goalie in the league. I think he is overrated, i think he has had coaches and players that play to his style, with AV that will not happen.

As a Canuck fan who thinks that Luongo has gotten the shaft from nearly everybody who has a keyboard, I will say that any success that the Canucks have had over the last few years has been down to Luongo and Schneider's great goaltending. AV has hung the goalies out to dry for as long as I can remember, so Lundquist (and Ranger fans) had better get used to it.

As I've said in other threads, this year we're gonna see the real Henrik Lundquist.
So the "fake" Henrik Lundqvist was the player we have seen for the past 8 years? The one who won a Vezina and was nominated multiple times? Also was nominated for the Hart Trophy? I'm not buying that.

__________________
Jabroni is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:25 PM
  #169
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
We're going to see a less sheltered Lundqvist this season, so smart money is on a higher GAA and Sv%. That said, what we've seen so far this season is not the "real" Lundqvist. He's given up some real stinkers. He'll tighten it up.

Crease is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:31 PM
  #170
Jabroni
The People's Champ
 
Jabroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 6,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crease View Post
We're going to see a less sheltered Lundqvist this season, so smart money is on a higher GAA and Sv%. That said, what we've seen so far this season is not the "real" Lundqvist. He's given up some real stinkers. He'll tighten it up.
Like I said earlier, Hank has been a slow starter for a while now. His preseason and first handful of games are underwhelming, but then we see the "real" Lundqvist.

Jabroni is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:42 PM
  #171
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
What can I do to get this thread closed?

Seriously. Its exactly what I said it would be. A bunch of other teams fans coming in and hating on Hank.

So much other stuff is deleted on here, yet this thread.. an open invition for us to be trolled, its happened, and it remains.
If their opinions are incorrect, it should be easy to invalidate them. And though I'm inclined to keep it open to teach posters a lesson about using sensational thread titles, this thread is close to running its course.

Crease is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:47 PM
  #172
Hal 9000*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni View Post
So the "fake" Henrik Lundqvist was the player we have seen for the past 8 years? The one who won a Vezina and was nominated multiple times? Also was nominated for the Hart Trophy? I'm not buying that.
It's not about being "fake", it's about being a product of your teams system, as most goalies are. If he is the best goalie in the world as we've been told, then his stats should remain the same...right? If his stats take a dip, then we know that coaching change and style of play has had an effect.


I think for the most part, you could shuffle the league's top 15 goaltenders, put them all on different teams, and the result would be +/- .25sv% and no significant change to the respective teams. I think the Gm's know this, which is why the market for goaltenders is soft right now.

Hal 9000* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:49 PM
  #173
Crease
Registered User
 
Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 9,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
It's not about being "fake", it's about being a product of your teams system, as most goalies are. If he is the best goalie in the world as we've been told, then his stats should remain the same...right? If his stats take a dip, then we know that coaching change and style of play has had an effect.


I think for the most part, you could shuffle the league's top 15 goaltenders, put them all on different teams, and the result would be +/- .25sv% and no significant change to the respective teams. I think the Gm's know this, which is why the market for goaltenders is soft right now.
You don't see the flaw in this logic?

Crease is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:51 PM
  #174
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 19,145
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Torts was the Rangers coach for about 3 years of his career.

What about the other 5 seasons?

The years were our D was comical (System aside, the D just wasn't quality) and Hank faced odd man rushes all game long.

Fire Sather is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 01:54 PM
  #175
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal 9000 View Post
It's not about being "fake", it's about being a product of your teams system, as most goalies are. If he is the best goalie in the world as we've been told, then his stats should remain the same...right? If his stats take a dip, then we know that coaching change and style of play has had an effect.


I think for the most part, you could shuffle the league's top 15 goaltenders, put them all on different teams, and the result would be +/- .25sv% and no significant change to the respective teams. I think the Gm's know this, which is why the market for goaltenders is soft right now.
you do realize that no goalie has been close to lundqvist when you take the past 5 seasons as a whole right? each year one goalie gets hot and wins a vezina. hank has been hot for 8 consecutive seasons under 2 different coaches. you really think a coaching change will knock him out of the top 5 for the first time in his career?

Dactyl is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.