HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

LD Morgan Rielly (2012, 5th overall, Toronto) II

Old
10-12-2013, 10:04 AM
Exit Dose

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Francois Beauchemin has never come close to a Norris , but He led the Ducks in TOI the year they won the cup. A team that featured 2 hof defenders.
Did you just come back from a year long vacation?

Exit Dose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:57 AM
The Beyonder

Maybe people think Rielly is small cause he's always leaning very low and forward when he's skating. Obviously being 6'1, 205 lbs, he's not small. He competes well physically too, I remember him separating Weber from the puck by pinning him to the boards. That's the thing I've always worried about, is him handling stronger players, but he's been handling himself well.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:00 PM
Crazy Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hero View Post
Rielly is 6'0 205lbs.

Below average, but not small
205 is below average for a 19 year old?? In what world?!

Give your head a shake, man

Crazy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Larry Hoover

For comparison sakes, Morgan Rielly was measured at the combine being 6'0.5, 205lbs. Duncan Keith (the best comparison for Rielly) is listed at 6'1 195lbs. Letang is listed at 6'0, 205lbs, PK Subban is 6'0 205lbs.

Rielly has a thick build, he looks small out there because he gets really low when he skates. He is known as a gym-rat and has been since he was drafted by Moose Jaw 2nd overall in 2009.

Expecting Rielly to grow ~.5 inches since he was drafted isn't that ridiculous at all so to expect him to play at 6'1 205-210 is likely. For his style of play, that is not small at all.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Great point, listening to Dave Morrison explain it. He knew Montreal wanted Galchenyuk and saw no reason flipping.

When Yakupov went first, and Murray went second. All the pieces fell into place.

Pretty much consistent with what Burke said, Leafs had Rielly at #1.

A bit ironic, had he not blown out his knee and played healthy last year. He probably would have been no worse than #2, as much as I like Murray, and I did before the draft. Rielly just has more potential to effect the game.

Montreal got their man, Leafs got theirs.

Except there is one thing that still leads me to question just how "first" overall Rielly was on the Leaf's list...after the Habs took Galchenyuk, the Leafs had the chance to swap positions with NYI, Burke asked Morrison if they should move up and Mo gave an easy NO, iirc he didn't even ask what the cost would be...The Isles imho would have been an extremely serious threat to take Rielly, which leads us to conclude that the Leafs must have like somebody else as much as Rielly...I still have trouble sleeping at night not knowing who that other guy was we would have taken if the Isles went with Rielly...we've had this discussion before I think, I'm guessing Dumba is the guy who Morrison and company had on par with Rielly, which is interesting to say the least.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:53 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Except there is one thing that still leads me to question just how "first" overall Rielly was on the Leaf's list...after the Habs took Galchenyuk, the Leafs had the chance to swap positions with NYI, Burke asked Morrison if they should move up and Mo gave an easy NO, iirc he didn't even ask what the cost would be...The Isles imho would have been an extremely serious threat to take Rielly, which leads us to conclude that the Leafs must have like somebody else as much as Rielly...I still have trouble sleeping at night not knowing who that other guy was we would have taken if the Isles went with Rielly...we've had this discussion before I think, I'm guessing Dumba is the guy who Morrison and company had on par with Rielly, which is interesting to say the least.
Him or Trouba

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 12:58 PM
Pi

Quote:
I am pretty sure that NYI had eyes on Reinhart for a long time. If the Leafs knew Habs wanted Gally, and Isles wanted Reinhar...it's all but confirmed that the Leafs get Rielly.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:34 PM
Tyler Biggs
Go Leafs Go!

Rielly is too young to play in the AHL, if he's not kept in the NHL he has to go back to Juniors.

Tyler Biggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 01:38 PM
frankthetank91

Kid's going to be a stud. Elite skating, great vision, great passer. Just needs to get some more power behind his shot.

frankthetank91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:23 PM
Sundinisagod
tanknation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
I am pretty sure that NYI had eyes on Reinhart for a long time. If the Leafs knew Habs wanted Gally, and Isles wanted Reinhar...it's all but confirmed that the Leafs get Rielly.

That's a big 'if'...I don't think we knew who MTL and NYI were taking. MTL we knew were desperate for a center so Gally had lots of merit but not a certainty he'd go that high after missing the entire season, Isles are always a wildcard and I doubt they would have leaked who they wanted if they were gonna entertain move-up offers...

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:40 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
That's a big 'if'...I don't think we knew who MTL and NYI were taking. MTL we knew were desperate for a center so Gally had lots of merit but not a certainty he'd go that high after missing the entire season, Isles are always a wildcard and I doubt they would have leaked who they wanted if they were gonna entertain move-up offers...
They must have known who NYI wanted to take. Burke even said in excitement to Mr. Bettman on the draft stage that they had Rielly rated one. It wasn't just some hype thing after they drafted him.

snizzbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 03:21 PM
The Beyonder

Quote:
They probably didn't feel the need to expend assets just to move 1 spot up. They probably felt that they'd be happy taking another player that was lower on their list.

It's like having Ovechkin and Malkin in the draft awhile back, would you trade good assets to move up just one spot, or would you rather keep your assets and pick the player that remains? It's not that hard to understand why they stood pat, even if they had Morgan 1st on their list. And in the end, it worked out they way they wanted it to.

EDIT: Ok, I just saw that that was what you were saying in a previous post.

I think that they were probably high on Trouba and Dumba who played a Burke style of game.

Last edited by The Beyonder: 10-12-2013 at 03:27 PM.
The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:39 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
For comparison sakes, Morgan Rielly was measured at the combine being 6'0.5, 205lbs. Duncan Keith (the best comparison for Rielly) is listed at 6'1 195lbs. Letang is listed at 6'0, 205lbs, PK Subban is 6'0 205lbs.

Rielly has a thick build, he looks small out there because he gets really low when he skates. He is known as a gym-rat and has been since he was drafted by Moose Jaw 2nd overall in 2009.

Expecting Rielly to grow ~.5 inches since he was drafted isn't that ridiculous at all so to expect him to play at 6'1 205-210 is likely. For his style of play, that is not small at all.
Subban might have been 205 at 19 but he is currently listed 217. He his getting bigger and bigger by the year.

Jeffrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 05:42 PM
Larry Hoover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Subban might have been 205 at 19 but he is currently listed 217. He his getting bigger and bigger by the year.
That makes sense, Subban looks really bulky out there but I was just going by what hockey-db had him listed at. Subban, when he's on his game, looks like a running back out there rushing the puck to the offensive zone, hell he even throws up stiff arms and pushes players away.

Larry Hoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:09 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
That makes sense, Subban looks really bulky out there but I was just going by what hockey-db had him listed at. Subban, when he's on his game, looks like a running back out there rushing the puck to the offensive zone, hell he even throws up stiff arms and pushes players away.
He is in the running for strongest lower body in the league. Although I still think old man Jagr has him beat. Subban is definitely a tank.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:25 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Not having a good game tonight at all, defensively at least.

Old
10-12-2013, 09:27 PM
GuillaumeLetsundress
Formerly Pheramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
Not having a good game tonight at all, defensively at least.
thats the problem, skates the puck well at this level but defensively still not all there for this level, thats why there is argument if he would be better learning that part of the game in the WHL or NHL, id WHL if i had to choose, wish he could just go to the AHL that would be ideal for sure

GuillaumeLetsundress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:47 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
thats the problem, skates the puck well at this level but defensively still not all there for this level, thats why there is argument if he would be better learning that part of the game in the WHL or NHL, id WHL if i had to choose, wish he could just go to the AHL that would be ideal for sure
Gotta see more games of him. His D isn't so bad that hes not able to play, but at times its rough. It was pretty solid against COL/NSH.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:03 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuillaumeLetsundress View Post
He could go to the AHL, would burn a year off his ELC though. Tough decision for Nonis.. Not a good game for Morgan, but he was solid in the other ones.

EDIT: Wrong about the AHL rules.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 10-12-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeastOfTheBunch View Post
He could go to the AHL, would burn a year off his ELC though.
What? I believe you are wrong here. He can only play in the AHL if his WHL's team season is over.

Marc the Habs Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:05 PM
snizzbone
Give me the puck ;-)

Quote:
He could go to the AHL, would burn a year off his ELC though. Tough decision for Nonis.. Not a good game for Morgan, but he was solid in the other ones.
He can't go to the AHL. If he could, he would have been there from the start. He can go to the AHL once his WHL teams season is over.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:09 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

leafs cant send rielly to the AHL, he can only return to the WHL. was a crappy game of his today though.

10-12-2013, 10:25 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
leafs cant send rielly to the AHL, he can only return to the WHL. was a crappy game of his today though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowNoMo View Post
He can't go to the AHL. If he could, he would have been there from the start. He can go to the AHL once his WHL teams season is over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
What? I believe you are wrong here. He can only play in the AHL if his WHL's team season is over.
Oops, you're right. Totally mistaken. Not sure how I came up with that

Too bad, AHL would've been a good option.

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 10-12-2013 at 11:58 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 10:28 PM
BudMovin*
Mung Dealer

Quote:
Oops, you're right. Totally mistaken. Not sure how I came up with that

Too bad, AHL would've been a good option.
We call this the Seguin conundrum.

BudMovin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:50 PM
Beastly Bozak
#FreeJakeGardiner

didn't have the best game but the entire leafs d was awful tonight

Beastly Bozak is offline   Reply With Quote