HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zack Kassian - 2013/2014 Season Expectations

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2013, 04:02 PM
  #26
ziploc
Registered User
 
ziploc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksRollin View Post
I would love to see that then we would be dangerous.
We'd be beyond dangerous. We'd be mathematically impossible!

ziploc is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:04 PM
  #27
GranvilleIsland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles View Post
30 goals, 40 assists, 120 points.
well played sir.

GranvilleIsland is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:05 PM
  #28
GranvilleIsland
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
Realistically I'd like to see him get 40 points but my expectations aren't that high.

GranvilleIsland is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:08 PM
  #29
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV
 
Vankiller Whale's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,170
vCash: 1675
I'd like to see him pot 20 goals-ish.

At some point we have to stop making excuses for him and see him make concrete progress.

Vankiller Whale is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:11 PM
  #30
MS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 14,642
vCash: 500
I'm very curious to see what happens with him.

I think he's a guy who is going to get a ton of attention from the coach, and who Tortorella is going to push beyond belief to get a consistent effort from.

And I suspect that by end of the year he'll either break out or mentally break down and check out.

So I'm torn between thinking he'll score 30 points in 40 games down the stretch, get fit and start playing a complete 3-zone game ... or be given up on, marooned on the 4th line and sent to the AHL. I think it's a toss-up.

He has the potential to be an offensive force, he just needs to find more drive, and find the ability to keep his feet moving and not get caught standing around. And grow his confidence. And if anyone is going to be able to get that out of him, I suspect it's Tortorella.

MS is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:19 PM
  #31
Transom Bob
Registered User
 
Transom Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
I'm very curious to see what happens with him.

I think he's a guy who is going to get a ton of attention from the coach, and who Tortorella is going to push beyond belief to get a consistent effort from.

And I suspect that by end of the year he'll either break out or mentally break down and check out.

So I'm torn between thinking he'll score 30 points in 40 games down the stretch, get fit and start playing a complete 3-zone game ... or be given up on, marooned on the 4th line and sent to the AHL. I think it's a toss-up.

He has the potential to be an offensive force, he just needs to find more drive, and find the ability to keep his feet moving and not get caught standing around. And grow his confidence. And if anyone is going to be able to get that out of him, I suspect it's Tortorella.
This is bang on. My guess is that he has a 35% chance at success and a 65% chance at flaking out.
I feel like the mechanism in his brain that allows him to learn is broken. At the very least, we'll have a sort of Raffi Torres-esque 4th liner on our hands.

Transom Bob is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:30 PM
  #32
Linden*
[hello] :)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Granduland
Country: United States
Posts: 49,472
vCash: 50
I hope for around a 40-45 point pace

Linden* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:36 PM
  #33
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
This is bang on. My guess is that he has a 35% chance at success and a 65% chance at flaking out.
I feel like the mechanism in his brain that allows him to learn is broken. At the very least, we'll have a sort of Raffi Torres-esque 4th liner on our hands.
13 goals, 22 assists.

Kassian supporters say he needs more time to develop. Ok. Then he should not be on the top .

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:43 PM
  #34
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser
 
mrmyheadhurts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,482
vCash: 50
If he breaks 40 points, I will be pleasantly surprised.

People always compare him to Bert and Lucic, but I have a feeling he's more like Penner; a 2nd/3rd line tweener that could come up big in the post season but will be hit or miss in the regular season.

Prove me wrong Kass!

mrmyheadhurts is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:53 PM
  #35
Transom Bob
Registered User
 
Transom Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
13 goals, 22 assists.

Kassian supporters say he needs more time to develop. Ok. Then he should not be on the top .
The top line you mean?

I might not be a big Kassian believer, but I am a supporter, and if we want him to develop into a top line talent, then we need to make him believe he's a top line talent.

Example:
I love what Jannik Hansen has turned into, but he had the potential to be groomed into a top 6 talent. But the top 6 talent of Jannik Hansen would be inferior to Jannik Hansen, the elite third liner.

With Kassian's skillset, it is worth the risk to try and develop him into a Todd Bertuzzi.

Transom Bob is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:54 PM
  #36
VeteranNetPresence
Disco Super Fly.
 
VeteranNetPresence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,400
vCash: 500
20-25 points

VeteranNetPresence is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:55 PM
  #37
Mutagenesis
Nucks/Isles
 
Mutagenesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Representin' the ABQ
Country: Canada
Posts: 814
vCash: 2552
20g, 20a, 40 pt season, and that's optimistic.

Mutagenesis is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
  #38
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
The top line you mean?

I might not be a big Kassian believer, but I am a supporter, and if we want him to develop into a top line talent, then we need to make him believe he's a top line talent.

Example:
I love what Jannik Hansen has turned into, but he had the potential to be groomed into a top 6 talent. But the top 6 talent of Jannik Hansen would be inferior to Jannik Hansen, the elite third liner.

With Kassian's skillset, it is worth the risk to try and develop him into a Todd Bertuzzi.
I agree with your take.

But what I am saying is, that would mean he should have been sent down to the AHL after we traded for him. To do it by the book.....

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:01 PM
  #39
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 576
similar player to kassasin like Downie and Stewart both have 20+ goals and 20+ assist

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:04 PM
  #40
racerjoe
Registered User
 
racerjoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
If he breaks 40 points, I will be pleasantly surprised.

People always compare him to Bert and Lucic, but I have a feeling he's more like Penner; a 2nd/3rd line tweener that could come up big in the post season but will be hit or miss in the regular season.

Prove me wrong Kass!
The comparison, was more in style, and the Lucic one was always wrong. He has the type of game, where if he reaches his full potential, he would be like a bertuzzi, that is a big ask though. In that terms, I believe Bert broke out around the age of 25-26, so Zack has another few years to get there.

racerjoe is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:07 PM
  #41
Transom Bob
Registered User
 
Transom Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
I agree with your take.

But what I am saying is, that would mean he should have been sent down to the AHL after we traded for him. To do it by the book.....
Agreed. I still think he had a lot to learn at the AHL level. That decision was politics more than anything.


Last edited by Transom Bob: 10-12-2013 at 05:24 PM.
Transom Bob is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:13 PM
  #42
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 16,768
vCash: 500
30-35 points. Anything more would be a really good year.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:19 PM
  #43
Lundface*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,907
vCash: 500
10 goals and 12 assists. I don't think he has turned the corner, and I think he'll move around the lineup alot...if he sticks with the twins then those numbers will be a lot better but I don't see him consistently bringing it

Lundface* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  #44
Derp Kassian
Registered User
 
Derp Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,336
vCash: 500
20/20 with consistent minutes with twins, 10/15-20 if he bounces around all year.

Derp Kassian is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:26 PM
  #45
Andre Boudrias
Registered User
 
Andre Boudrias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,720
vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Andre Boudrias
that hit on the first video at 1:38 mark would be a suspension. Stanton is at a vulnerable spot.

Andre Boudrias is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:28 PM
  #46
CanuckLuck
Registered User
 
CanuckLuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Kelowna, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,455
vCash: 500
I think anything more than 30 pts and people are setting up for disaapointment.

I just hope to see a bit more consistency with Kassian. If he pops somethign like 15/15 I would be very happy. Maturity first, then points.

CanuckLuck is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:30 PM
  #47
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Embrace the hate
Posts: 8,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco Fingerhat View Post
Agreed. I still think he had a lot to learn at the AHL level. That decision was politics more than anything.
Yep.

That is why I was so pissed off at Mike Gillis for making this trade at the deadline that year. If he made the trade in the offseason, he could have started Kassian in the AHL without losing face.

LolClarkson* is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:43 PM
  #48
RunYouOutOfTheRink
Registered User
 
RunYouOutOfTheRink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: No Matter Which Rink
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumbler View Post
If your referring to taking penalties, he has to be absolutely clean for there not to be any calls on him which is impossible for his role on this team. He's suppose to be a tough hitting/forecheck player and keep opponent players in check in case they want a run at our guys, not just a point producer and you bet the refs has their eyes out on that especially since he's a Canuck.
Was thinking more about Kassian playing as though he's learned something from his time as a Canuck. Less like a rookie, a little more like a veteran.

RunYouOutOfTheRink is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:58 PM
  #49
Transom Bob
Registered User
 
Transom Bob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Yep.

That is why I was so pissed off at Mike Gillis for making this trade at the deadline that year. If he made the trade in the offseason, he could have started Kassian in the AHL without losing face.
I think the blame gets distributed. AV probably felt pressured to give Kassian an extended look to help out his boss. People would've hated on AV and Gillis if we traded Hodgson for an "AHL'er"

It was a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

Transom Bob is offline  
Old
10-12-2013, 05:59 PM
  #50
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,358
vCash: 576
I hate it when fans expect him to do poorly....come on be optimistic! he will final emerge

canuck4life16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.