HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

The Politics of Grand Theft Auto

Old
10-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Nightslyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
Put it this way, the demographic of people they are marketing to aren't exactly the most well versed in politics, so I think people are over thinking this a bit. I never said that anyone couldn't - or can't - play video games, just that they have a demographic they like to attract.
You mean young men around voting age? That demographic?

---

GTA V, like the other entries in the series, is a parody of American culture. Full stop. It really doesn't lean one way or the other, but rather pokes fun at both sides. Sometimes brilliantly, too.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:00 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
You mean young men around voting age? That demographic?
Or so...........perhaps even younger.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:04 PM
Yoshimitsu

If there's one topic that Big Phil is especially unqualified to talk about, it's probably video games.

The average video game player is in their mid 30s. Like pretty much everything else (movies, television, etc) these days, GTA is marketed to the 18-49 year-old male demographic.

Yoshimitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimitsu View Post
If there's one topic that Big Phil is especially unqualified to talk about, it's probably video games.
Let's not limit ourselves here. There are many, many topics Big Phil is especially unqualified to talk about. He's shown us literally oodles of times on this board alone.

Free Kassian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Alex Jones
Internet Charlatan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
Let's not limit ourselves here. There are many, many topics Big Phil is especially unqualified to talk about. He's shown us literally oodles of times on this board alone.
As in everything??

He is kind of a fascinating look at the old senile conservative.

Alex Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Big Phil

Quote:

The average video game player is in their mid 30s. Like pretty much everything else (movies, television, etc) these days, GTA is marketed to the 18-49 year-old male demographic.
Is a 49 year old more likely to play Grand Theft Auto over an 18 year old? While you think about that, ask yourself who will have more time to play a game, an 18 year old or a 49 year old? Now tell me that 18 year olds aren't more likely to be targeted. Lastly, is an 18 year old more well versed in politics than a 49 year old on average?

Again, people are overthinking the political mindset of video games.

Old
10-11-2013, 04:37 PM
Nightslyr

Quote:
Is a 49 year old more likely to play Grand Theft Auto over an 18 year old? While you think about that, ask yourself who will have more time to play a game, an 18 year old or a 49 year old? Now tell me that 18 year olds aren't more likely to be targeted. Lastly, is an 18 year old more well versed in politics than a 49 year old on average?

And you're selling gamers short.

Or, put another way, would a 49 year old have the same time and energy to devote to political activities and/or causes as a college aged person?

Old
10-11-2013, 04:40 PM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Who cares? These questions are stupid and irrelevant.

The majority of video game consumers are adults. The notion that the average gamer is a child is outdated and factually inaccurate.

The main video game demographic is 18-49 year old males. That's the same demographic that is commonly targeted for movies and television shows.

Since the average gamer is in their 30s, and GTA is expected to sell 25 million copies by the end of the year, simple logic would suggest that there are many, many people who recognized the very obvious elements of political and social satire within the game.

Quote:
Better than being an out-of-touch old timer who won't give up and admit he's wrong.

Old
10-12-2013, 04:14 AM
Big Phil

Quote:
Who cares? These questions are stupid and irrelevant.

The majority of video game consumers are adults. The notion that the average gamer is a child is outdated and factually inaccurate.

The main video game demographic is 18-49 year old males. That's the same demographic that is commonly targeted for movies and television shows.

Since the average gamer is in their 30s, and GTA is expected to sell 25 million copies by the end of the year, simple logic would suggest that there are many, many people who recognized the very obvious elements of political and social satire within the game.

Better than being an out-of-touch old timer who won't give up and admit he's wrong.
Yes, well if I am wrong then ask the people playing the game if they notice any political overtones in the game. Most won't. And obviously adults can and do play these games, who said they didn't? They just aren't targeting the game to a 40 year old father and husband with three kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
And you're selling gamers short.

Or, put another way, would a 49 year old have the same time and energy to devote to political activities and/or causes as a college aged person?
Do you figure you'll know more about politics at 49 years old than you did/do at 18?

Old
10-12-2013, 04:40 AM
Yoshimitsu

Quote:
Yes, well if I am wrong then ask the people playing the game if they notice any political overtones in the game. Most won't.
There are plenty of threads and articles about the political and social commentary within the game. In fact, you're posting in one right now. But maybe that's just a coincidence and you believe that AP (of all people) is ultra perceptive and able to pick up subtle themes that the average person could not.

And yes, I have spoken to many people who have played the game. I'm in my mid 20s and everyone I know has played the game. What about you? Are there many people in Big Phil's circle of friends who are Grand Theft Auto players? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

It's safe to say that plenty of people got the message. I have no idea why you're even continuing to argue this.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
There are plenty of threads and articles about the political and social commentary within the game. In fact, you're posting in one right now. But maybe that's just a coincidence and you believe that AP (of all people) is ultra perceptive and able to pick up subtle themes that the average person could not.

And yes, I have spoken to many people who have played the game. I'm in my mid 20s and everyone I know has played the game. What about you? Are there many people in Big Phil's circle of friends who are Grand Theft Auto players? I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

It's safe to say that plenty of people got the message. I have no idea why you're even continuing to argue this.
Well then I'll ask you, do you feel there are political overtones that lean one way in particular. Because I personally don't. If you do, say so.

Old
10-12-2013, 04:20 PM
Nightslyr

Quote:
Well then I'll ask you, do you feel there are political overtones that lean one way in particular. Because I personally don't. If you do, say so.
How. Would. You. Know? Honestly, how the fuck can you even have a personal opinion on the game? The best you can do is listen to people who have played it.

As someone who has played and beaten the single-player portion of the game, I will say that the game, as an entity, doesn't lean one way or another. That said, there is most certainly political parody/humor within the game.

GTA IV was clearly a post-9/11, end-of-Bush setting. The plot wasn't political, but the setting and things that made the game world feel legitimate (radio, websites, billboards, etc.) reflected it pretty clearly. Jokes about torture, the terror level, corruption, etc.

GTA V is clearly a post-recession setting. Because it takes place largely in a fictional Los Angeles, there's an interesting interplay between the bubble of the old, glitzy lifestyle and the current reality of people doing what they can to get by. The political satire is much more even - both sides get criticized as being ineffective at actually doing anything other than taking shots at one another.

Quote:
Do you figure you'll know more about politics at 49 years old than you did/do at 18?
Unlikely, as I have more responsibilities/less free time than I did when I was younger, which makes it harder for me to keep up with what's happening. I had far more time and energy to spend on political matters when I was at UNH. Which is exactly what I said before.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:41 PM
Bocephus86

Quote:
I thought the conversation had to do with the demographic targeted picking up on political satire? I'm pretty sure at 16 I could do it. Hell, who is the Daily Show and the Colbert Report targeted at? Only so much political knowledge (if that is a real thing) is necessary to pick up on satire.

But also the GTA target market really is 15 - 35 yr old males.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:47 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:

Well, how about a 28 year old? Who has more free time on his hands, and more freedom to spend that time playing video games, an 18 year old or a 28 year old? Who has more money to spend?

I think you're seriously underestimating the audience for these games. They're not comparable in any way to Mario Bros.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote