HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT: Pick Your Poison

View Poll Results: Who would you switch your allegiance to?
Flyers 18 30.51%
Islanders 22 37.29%
Devils 19 32.20%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-03-2006, 03:36 PM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RegalRangers View Post
I think picking the Pens is fair. They're the other Atlantic division team.
As Trottier points out, you're still avoiding the question.

When a judge sentences you to 30 days in jail or a $5000 fine, you can't tell him you'd prefer 15 hours of community service.

klingsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 03:59 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by klingsor View Post

When a judge sentences you to 30 days in jail or a $5000 fine, you can't tell him you'd prefer 15 hours of community service.
I don't accept the premise of the original question. It's kind of like when Stephen Colbert asks "Preisdent Bush great President or greatest Preident?" If I don't like the options presented then I tend to create my own option. If god forbid the Rangers were contracted or eliminated who said we would HAVE to select another Atlantic division team? I would pick an original six team from a different division...

Last edited by greasch#4: 12-03-2006 at 04:21 PM.
greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 04:15 PM
Prucha25Graves988*

Quote:

, makes sense man, made me laugh.

Prucha25Graves988* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Quote:

Alright then I change my answer to the Oakland Raiders.

That would be like a judge sentencing me to 30 days in jail or a $5000 fine and me telling him I'd rather eat 50 hamburgers in one sitting.

Seriously though... Flyers. Without Brashear I think I feel okay about it now. I've always been a knuble fan anyway. Close second would be Islanders just cause they're underdogs now.

I will NEVER root for the Devils. EVER.

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 04:31 PM
Fletch

I root for many teams..

because it often makes games more enjoyable, as well, there are players throughout the league I like and thus often root for their teams. I've been watching a good amount of St. Louis games, try to catch Edmonton games, and actually watch a fair amount of MTL and BOS games (not really rooting for them, but I still am a fan of Kovalev and Savard). Out of hte three, I cannot answer since it's an impossible situation for me to imagine (rooting for one of those three, and a defunct Rangers).

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 08:44 PM
XploD

Isles, I've always liked them and I've always hated Philadelphia and New Jersey more than any other teams in the league.

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 09:30 PM
Cynical TyranT
Son of a gun

Send a message via AIM to Cynical TyranT
I grew up in Orange County... so my "other team" is the Sabres.

They're still a NY state team, so, that's more logical to me anyways.

And I kinda like the Preds, for no real reason...

Cynical TyranT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 09:36 PM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Isles - No way, hate them so much I couldn't root for them.
Devils - Don't want to watch boring hockey all year long.

I guess my answer is Philly, I hate them almost as much as the isles though.

FLYLine24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:14 PM
g52*

Send a message via AIM to g52*
Quote:
Originally Posted by greasch#4 View Post
I don't accept the premise of the original question. It's kind of like when Stephen Colbert asks "Preisdent Bush great President or greatest Preident?" If I don't like the options presented then I tend to create my own option. If god forbid the Rangers were contracted or eliminated who said we would HAVE to select another Atlantic division team? I would pick an original six team from a different division...
I just wanted to poll this board on which Atlantic Division rival is the least hated.

g52* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 11:14 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Never rooted for the the three in question, never will. But, I've always liked St Louis, Buffalo, Toronto and Detroit--I'm sure one of them would survive hell freezing over.

Brooklyn Ranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:24 AM
DontStaal

flyers cuz theyre suckin

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Edge

Think some of you are overthinking and taking this question a little too seriously.

Just lighten, pick one and move on.

Sheesh

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 01:33 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Nope, I won't pick one of the above, not everyone is willing stick within lines that someone else has drawn.

Old
12-04-2006, 09:12 AM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

Why are we stuck with only those three teams? Last time I checked Pittsburgh was in our division as well. And between all the games they play against the Devils and Islanders you could see them 16 times a year without even buying Center Ice.

If the Rangers somehow folded, I'd root for Pitts. Good team with a good history and a great future.

If all I had to choose from was the Flyers, Devils, or Islanders, I'd start watching basketball.

Thordic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:31 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Isles - Though i was younger, can't get those early 80's images out of my head. And no NYR fan who has ever heard the line "Denny...to Bryan...to Michael......SCORE!!!" could EVER chose the Isles.

Pens - Over a decade of being manhandled by Mario and co., the '92 playoffs, and their absolute failure as an organization up until they tanked just in time to safely assure players we shouldve been able to aquire with the bad hockey we played, topped with Crosby & Malkin. No, i can't do it, never will pull for these guys.

Devs - Even in the 80's when the sucked they were still beating us at inoppurtune times. Beating us out of the playoffs the last game of the season in what was it...88? Then to have to go through the 90's with guys like Lemaire, Brodeur, Richer, Claude Lemieux....sorry francophones

Philly - Crazy as it sounds, this is the less of all evils in my eyes, but still, Philly fans in general are hard to like unless you're a philly kinda person, imo. At least its been awhile since their cups but man did they give us beatings in the 70's.

This question is silly, nowadays we can pick a team like San Jose, Ottawa or Chicago(my 'other' teams) and still be able to follow/watch them play.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:45 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Nope, I won't pick one of the above, not everyone is willing stick within lines that someone else has drawn.
You're changing the world Brook, one thread at a time.

Old
12-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
You're changing the world Brook, one thread at a time.
Think global, act local.

Old
12-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Fletch

Bluenote...

I think I knew (or remember) the Isles of the late-70s early 80s better than I do the Rangers. They were such good teams and all the names and faces are recognizable. You always wished the Rangers would be able to do the same.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 04:49 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
I think I knew (or remember) the Isles of the late-70s early 80s better than I do the Rangers. They were such good teams and all the names and faces are recognizable. You always wished the Rangers would be able to do the same.
But didn't that first name thing get on your nerves - "Denny...to Bryan...to Michael !" Ugh, that was horrible play by play, but then again what they did care, they scored like 6 goals a game back then....you're right, that was some team, we wished we had something even close to that.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 05:14 PM
Larry Melnyk

Unlike you whippersnappers, I grew up with fierce hatred fro the Bruins and especially the FLYERS for the way they punked us all over the ice..I'd rather stick needles in my eyes then root for the flyers for one second....

The Devils? I hate what they did to the game....their success.....I hate the smugness of Lou..But overlall the team is just one big nothing to me...

Asd for the Isles, never really hated them too much and in fact really, really respected the likes of Clark Gillies and Trottier for the way they played..However, then I think of the likes of that ******* Gary Howatt, Potvin, Baumgartner, Nystrom and that useless coward Mick Vukota, among others, and I start to get pissed....But, I like the Isles of today alot more..Always liked Ted Nolan..and love tha hard nosed play of many of the players..So, gun to my head, Isles it will be....No wait, screw that, I just can't.....Gotta be the Devils....Nope, too damn unlikeable, the Isles...

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 05:32 PM
Geogaddi

I CANT stand the Isles or the Flyers.

I'd have to go with The Devils for this certain question.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 06:09 PM
Nich

Buffalo

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 06:11 PM
Edge

I was a little kid, right smack in the middle of those Islander dynasties.

Our family lived in Huntington and obviously by 4 years old I was already on skates. I don't exactly know HOW I was a Ranger fan, it just worked out that way because my dad worked on Wall Street and we always had tickets.

We are a family divided in that sense. My parents are both Ranger fans as are me one of my brothers and one sister. However two sisters and my other brother are all Islander fans.

Old
12-04-2006, 10:49 PM
greasch#4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
I was a little kid, right smack in the middle of those Islander dynasties.

Our family lived in Huntington and obviously by 4 years old I was already on skates. I don't exactly know HOW I was a Ranger fan, it just worked out that way because my dad worked on Wall Street and we always had tickets.

We are a family divided in that sense. My parents are both Ranger fans as are me one of my brothers and one sister. However two sisters and my other brother are all Islander fans.
I grew up during that Islander dynasty also and the thought of any Ranger fan saying they could ever possibly root for the Islanders... well I guess that was a different time. The Islanders are almost sympathetic now but if you grew up in that era you hated the Islanders because they were so good and their fans (at that time at least) were obnoxious. I loved those Ranger teams but we were nowhere near those Isle teams in talent and it hurt to see them have all the glory.

Last edited by greasch#4: 12-04-2006 at 11:11 PM.
greasch#4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 10:51 PM
DontStaal

can i pick the Penguins?

DontStaal is offline   Reply With Quote