HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

CBJ Board Other Sports Thread: Part VIII

Closed Thread

Old
10-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double-Shift Lassť View Post
Thank you for the history lesson. I don't know what sort of providence I'm supposed to glean from this.
Who's wrong: the human polls or the computer polls?

Quote:
Humans could do it right, but they won't. Delaying til Oct. 1 would help, but I wonder how much.
Humans are incapable of doing it right, as we see every year in every sport.

Consider MVP voting. Should it go to the player who has the best season, the best player on the best team, or can it be a career achievement award? 90% of the people out there have a fairly strong opinion on which it should be, and there's strong disagreement every single year over candidates. This is despite the fact that there's a somewhat clear set of instructions on MVP voting.

Look at the 1973 season. The Big Ten used to only allow one team to go to a bowl game, that being the Rose Bowl; they also had a no-repeat rule until 1971. The conference champion would go to the Rose Bowl, unless they went the previous year, in which case the #2 team would go. That was absolute. In the 1973 game between unbeaten Michigan and OSU, Michigan QB Dennis Franklin broke his collarbone. The game ended in a 10-10 tie. Ohio State had represented the conference the year prior, and in 1973, the two teams tied for the conference championship and in the deciding game.

The Big Ten vote was 6-4 in favor of Ohio State. Why?

Quote:
Or go to a full-blown playoff featuring the champions of 4 or 8 conferences. No wild cards - unless you're going to central control of the schedule.
It would have to involve all conference champions. The smaller conferences would absolutely file suit if they were completely shut out of a playoff, particularly if provisions were included for other conference champions.

Quote:
They are doing it wrong now, and the result is the worst of both the poll and playoff methods.
I blame USC. They cried up a storm after 2003 to get the system changed and minimize the ability to manipulate things, and actually made it worse. It's now possible for a couple of people to completely blow up the human polls, and there's no actual recourse against it.

Old
10-09-2013, 03:48 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
It would have to involve all conference champions. The smaller conferences would absolutely file suit if they were completely shut out of a playoff, particularly if provisions were included for other conference champions.
See my reply above to Fro.

As to the rest -- They're both potentially wrong, and equally so. Computers suck, too, when it comes to creating a poll to determine who the best college football teams are.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:37 PM
blahblah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Who's wrong: the human polls or the computer polls?

Humans are incapable of doing it right, as we see every year in every sport.
Here we go, Skynet will actually come to fruition because of the US's obsession with a totally meaningless thing: The College Football Championship.

That's right, the friggin BCS will lead us to our destruction as a race because we ***** and moan every year about some idiotic snub that some team gets and misses out on the national championship game.

Your "solution" is a 16 team playoff. There will still be complainers, but you'll have a far more legitimate winner. It can run, in parallel, with the totally irrelevant "best of the rest" bowl games. It will never fly, for a mountain of reasons, but there you go.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:49 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
Here we go, Skynet will actually come to fruition because of the US's obsession with a totally meaningless thing: The College Football Championship.

That's right, the friggin BCS will lead us to our destruction as a race because we ***** and moan every year about some idiotic snub that some team gets and misses out on the national championship game.

Your "solution" is a 16 team playoff. There will still be complainers, but you'll have a far more legitimate winner. It can run, in parallel, with the totally irrelevant "best of the rest" bowl games. It will never fly, for a mountain of reasons, but there you go.
I figured that the Borg actually would have their genesis in something like this, where a BCS computer goes haywire.

MARGIN OF VICTORY IS IRRELEVANT. STRENGTH OF SCHEDULE IS IRRELEVANT. YOUR SYSTEM AS IT HAS BEEN IS OVER. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Old
10-09-2013, 04:52 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblah View Post
For the final two, that's four more games, on top of twelve game regular seasons and, in most cases, a conference championship game. That's one of the mountain of reasons I think it wouldn't fly.

Old
10-09-2013, 05:02 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
For the final two, that's four more games, on top of twelve game regular seasons and, in most cases, a conference championship game. That's one of the mountain of reasons I think it wouldn't fly.
That's about what they play in the NFL without playoffs. If they want to be paid like professional athletes while still being in school, maybe they should play a similar schedule.

Old
10-09-2013, 09:44 PM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANonymous View Post
That's about what they play in the NFL without playoffs. If they want to be paid like professional athletes while still being in school, maybe they should play a similar schedule.
Gah! You mention the sole thing worse about college football than how it decides its champion. Must leave thread now....

Old
10-09-2013, 11:40 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

After reading through this discussion, this finally makes sense:

Old
10-12-2013, 09:12 PM
FANonymous

Come on Penn State. Beat Michigan.

Edit: They got it in 4OT what a game. You see it's because the B1G is so strong top to bottom that anybody can beat anybody else any week.

Old
10-12-2013, 09:20 PM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
Come on Penn State. Beat Michigan.

Edit: They got it in 4OT what a game. You see it's because the B1G is so strong top to bottom that anybody can beat anybody else any week.
PEnn State wins

Old
10-12-2013, 09:22 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJBrassard16 View Post
PEnn State wins
Yup, but the media will paint this as Michigan not being that good and the B1G sucks even harder than originally anticipated. Georgia losing again only reinforces the strength of the SEC!!

Old
10-12-2013, 09:53 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
SEC team loses to an SEC team. Best conference confirmed.

Old
10-12-2013, 11:23 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Yup, but the media will paint this as Michigan not being that good and the B1G sucks even harder than originally anticipated. Georgia losing again only reinforces the strength of the SEC!!
Michigan barely escaped both Akron and UConn. We don't need the media to point out how pathetic that is.

Was I the only one gripping the armrests, desperate to see who would win between "beat Akron and UConn by a combined 7 points" and "only lost to Indiana by three touchdowns"?

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 10-12-2013 at 11:41 PM.
Old
10-12-2013, 11:28 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Their QB wears number 98. I rest my case.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:17 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

I still think the SEC is going to completely cannibalize itself, with a strong chance that there's only one team in the top-5 going into conference championship week.

I would not be surprised to see the Pac-12 end up as the top conference this year. The SEC, both as a collective and on the basis of the individual teams at the top, doesn't look anywhere close to the last several years. Oregon's three weeks of UCLA, Stanford, and Utah will determine an awful lot. Utah's D-line looks stout, and their backers could give the Ducks fits.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:46 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

i said a couple weeks ago i expect the BCS game to be Clemson/Oregon

but you know...since I'm an SEC guy, you guys will only read it as Alabama/LSU for the title...

also, for the OSU contingent happy that PSU won, since they played TSUN, this game just basically ruined any opp that OSU had to make the BCS game due to strength of schedule, right?

Old
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

I don't give a rat's behind about that. It's out of my control. The Wolverines lost and I am happy.

Brady Hoke looking clueless without wearing no headset gravy stained shirt. I love it.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Fro
Yes Cbus has hockey

and there is one of the fundamental reasons so man OSU fans cause rage...I will root for whatever helps UF...I may hate UGA and FSU, and laugh when they lose, but I want UF to be the team to ruin their seasons...not someone else...

Old
10-13-2013, 01:12 PM
FANonymous

Polls are a joke. No surprise there.

Old
10-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Gotta like the Bengals... a very exciting win for them in Buffalo today, 27-24 in OT..

The intersting thing was this practice squad kid by the name of Thad Lewis, the Bills 4th string QB.... three TD's on the day.. two pass one run....

Old
10-13-2013, 05:46 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Gotta like the Bengals... a very exciting win for them in Buffalo today, 27-24 in OT..

The intersting thing was this practice squad kid by the name of Thad Lewis, the Bills 4th string QB.... three TD's on the day.. two pass one run....
Yeah but he's no Brandon Weeden. Did he throw multiple interceptions or get trapped underneath a flag?

Old
10-13-2013, 05:50 PM
Jaxs
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Bengals don't have that killer instinct, for some reason, ie. taking their foot off the gas, conservative play calling. The D made some nice stops on the run and sacked Lewis several times.

Bengals were fortunate to not lose that one.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:16 PM
Robert
Foligno family

Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Yeah but he's no Brandon Weeden. Did he throw multiple interceptions or get trapped underneath a flag?
One pick... many short passes and sacks because he tried too hard, but two nice down field tosses that scored...

Weeden is doing well, the Browns look good too...

Old
10-13-2013, 09:20 PM
FANonymous

Quote:
One pick... many short passes and sacks because he tried too hard, but two nice down field tosses that scored...

Weeden is doing well, the Browns look good too...
Boxscores are saying he threw 2 picks. I wasn't able to watch the game since I work on Sundays now. Weeden just holds on to the ball for far too long. Hoyer completely outshone him simply by making quick accurate decisions. I have 0 faith that Hoyer is the QB of the future for the Browns, but to look THAT much better than the official starting QB just shows how poor of a QB Weeden actually is. You have to be able to play great for more than 1 quarter every game if you hope to win.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:01 PM
eljefe72

Quote:
Boxscores are saying he threw 2 picks. I wasn't able to watch the game since I work on Sundays now. Weeden just holds on to the ball for far too long. Hoyer completely outshone him simply by making quick accurate decisions. I have 0 faith that Hoyer is the QB of the future for the Browns, but to look THAT much better than the official starting QB just shows how poor of a QB Weeden actually is. You have to be able to play great for more than 1 quarter every game if you hope to win.
You probably don't want to see the 2nd interception he threw today. Very cringe worthy.

Closed Thread