HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Just how bad does Boyle have to suck...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-12-2013, 09:51 PM
  #26
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The problem isn't Boyle himself, the problem is Boyle on the 3rd line.
One thing I thought he would..actually, how in the blue hell does a hockey player who is 6'7" and weighs 245 lbs. hit so soft?!

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:58 PM
  #27
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
Boyle is an unpolished turd.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 09:59 PM
  #28
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Boyle does a better job, more often, than any of his cohorts on the bottom.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:48 PM
  #29
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,131
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Boyle has been fine this season
Yep. I don't understand why people rage on him so hard. The entire team is playing like it's Pro Beach Hockey.

Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:55 PM
  #30
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aufheben View Post
Yep. I don't understand why people rage on him so hard. The entire team is playing like it's Pro Beach Hockey.
Boyle has not been fine this season. He cannot handle the puck at all and is killing them in transition. Boyle was passable in the previous regime, he should be moved for the better of the team.

This is not anti-Boyle so much as it is the fact that he does not fit what the team is trying to do going forward.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
  #31
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?
 
McDonaghisGod's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 5,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Boyle has not been fine this season. He cannot handle the puck at all and is killing them in transition. Boyle was passable in the previous regime, he should be moved for the better of the team.

This is not anti-Boyle so much as it is the fact that he does not fit what the team is trying to do going forward.
This. He might have the worst puck skills on the team and that is a major statement with this bunch.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:09 PM
  #32
GregNYR19
agitator
 
GregNYR19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fair Lawn, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
be careful, there are some people on these forums who believe that brian boyle is better than wayne gretzky

GregNYR19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:10 PM
  #33
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
And, if you want to complete your argument against keeping Boyle, would you not also have to look at the others who do not score, or possess 'puck skills'?
It's just Boyle?

Dorsett, Pyatt, D. Moore showed so much better, I assume.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:14 PM
  #34
Aufheben
Moderator
Crick Nash
 
Aufheben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The jam must flow...
Country: Angola
Posts: 10,131
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Boyle has not been fine this season. He cannot handle the puck at all and is killing them in transition. Boyle was passable in the previous regime, he should be moved for the better of the team.

This is not anti-Boyle so much as it is the fact that he does not fit what the team is trying to do going forward.
None of them can handle the puck. This is my point, that people single out Boyle, and this is not something new, as if the rest of the team is candy canes and choo-choo-trains.

I don't necessarily disagree that eventually he might not be right for AV, but right now....meh. If people are pointing out every single mistake a bottom-6 player makes, your team has much bigger problems than said bottom-6'er. Boyle's not even the worst player in our bottom-6, he's not even close to the worst.


Last edited by Aufheben: 10-12-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Aufheben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:20 PM
  #35
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
And, if you want to complete your argument against keeping Boyle, would you not also have to look at the others who do not score, or possess 'puck skills'?
It's just Boyle?

Gladly.

Boyle's lack of puck skills moreso than his lack of scoring is the issue. Torts primarily used Boyle is a defense role. In this system, it is requisite to have some offensive/puck handling acumen. Torts could hide Boyle's weaknesses and made him serviceable as a result.

Again this comes down to coaching. What is the use of having a gut like Fast on the roster if his center cannot provide him service with the puck? In theory AV forwards in this system need to be able to be strong transitionally. Boyle cannot provide what is necessary in this retrospect. Any breaks through the neutral zone simply die when the puck touches his stick.

Boyle can be effective in a defensive first role, but it seems the D. Moore/Dorsett line is getting those minutes and Boyle is being used more offensively which is oil and water compared to what he offers to a team. Boyle could certainly help a couple of teams in this league but this is not one of them.

This is the Boyle thread so I will not clog it talking about other players. But I will say as a whole the team has been horrific in the neutral zone. However Players like Stepan, Richards and Brassard can carry the puck. Boyle cannot. There was not room on this team for Boyle and Moore and hopefully this is rectified.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:23 PM
  #36
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Gladly.

Boyle's lack of puck skills moreso than his lack of scoring is the issue. Torts primarily used Boyle is a defense role. In this system, it is requisite to have some offensive/puck handling acumen. Torts could hide Boyle's weaknesses and made him serviceable as a result.

Again this comes down to coaching. What is the use of having a gut like Fast on the roster if his center cannot provide him service with the puck? In theory AV forwards in this system need to be able to be strong transitionally. Boyle cannot provide what is necessary in this retrospect. Any breaks through the neutral zone simply die when the puck touches his stick.

Boyle can be effective in a defensive first role, but it seems the D. Moore/Dorsett line is getting those minutes and Boyle is being used more offensively which is oil and water compared to what he offers to a team. Boyle could certainly help a couple of teams in this league but this is not one of them.

This is the Boyle thread so I will not clog it talking about other players. But I will say as a whole the team has been horrific in the neutral zone. However Players like Stepan, Richards and Brassard can carry the puck. Boyle cannot. There was not room on this team for Boyle and Moore and hopefully this is rectified.
Oh boy.

G'night.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:24 PM
  #37
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Oh boy.

G'night.
sweet dreams. ignorance is bliss.

have yet to see a pro-Boyle argument.


Last edited by Savant: 10-12-2013 at 11:26 PM. Reason: typo
Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:26 PM
  #38
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,612
vCash: 500
Both Boyle and Pyatt are getting top 6 minutes at ES and it's definitely a problem. Hopefully they play less when Hags and Nash return but there are some real roster construction issues with this team.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:30 PM
  #39
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Both Boyle and Pyatt are getting top 6 minutes at ES and it's definitely a problem. Hopefully they play less when Hags and Nash return but there are some real roster construction issues with this team.
I agree with this. I don't think either player have value to the Rangers after the trade deadline and this should be addressed. There are too many square pegs in round holes.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:31 PM
  #40
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Savant - I think you are ignoring my earlier post. Brian Boyle should not be expected to score a bunch of goals.
Do you think that I expect he can, and should, do so? Of course, i do not.
Stop grandstanding.

Don't paint him as the villain here. He is a better bottom six player than anyone else like Dorsett, Pyatt, D. Moore (yep, that old chestnut is not quite doing all that much, regardless of all the love showered down on him).

It is indeed a team construction problem. I agree with that. I do not agree that Boyle sucks. Quite the opposite.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:35 PM
  #41
SA16
Two by two...
 
SA16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 1,927
vCash: 500
It's not the lack of goals from Boyle that's the problem. It's the inability to handle passes and being very weak on the puck. This combined with him getting played way more often than he should (obviously not his fault) causes lots of issues.

SA16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:45 PM
  #42
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SA16 View Post
It's not the lack of goals from Boyle that's the problem. It's the inability to handle passes and being very weak on the puck. This combined with him getting played way more often than he should (obviously not his fault) causes lots of issues.
Again, who on the bottom two lines is better?
Please, this is my question.
Just answer it.

And who is better defensively than Boyle?
Not one other player on the bottom six is better defensively than Brian Boyle.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:52 PM
  #43
Kreider Typical
flex
 
Kreider Typical's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,541
vCash: 500
cause boyle is the issue...?

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:58 PM
  #44
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Savant - I think you are ignoring my earlier post. Brian Boyle should not be expected to score a bunch of goals.
Do you think that I expect he can, and should, do so? Of course, i do not.
Stop grandstanding.

Don't paint him as the villain here. He is a better bottom six player than anyone else like Dorsett, Pyatt, D. Moore (yep, that old chestnut is not quite doing all that much, regardless of all the love showered down on him).

It is indeed a team construction problem. I agree with that. I do not agree that Boyle sucks. Quite the opposite.
I can take that. I don't think Boyle sucks but I think he is a misfit going forward. Boyle can help a team but he has some glaring weaknesses. Torts got the best out of him because he was able to play Boyle to his strengths. I do not think AV is playing Boyle to his strengths and its showing up on the ice.

I don't think Boyle is why they lost tonight but there were three or four breakouts that literally were stopped in their tracks because Boyle could not handle the puck. I think AV is asking too much off Boyle offensively and it is hurting him. I do not expect Boyle to score a lot of goals, but he was not able to handle the puck or make competent passes tonight as a result. This hurt the team's already anemic offense. No one on the team should be lauded for their defensive work, they do not know how to set up unless they forecheck. The team needs to improve in the neutral zone. This is not Boyle's forte.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #45
theJUMPER
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Like everyone said, what do you expect from a 4th line center.

6 goals/5 assists in the past two playoff seasons for a 4th line center that pks....i'll take it.

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:02 AM
  #46
trilobyte
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta
Posts: 12,543
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I can take that. I don't think Boyle sucks but I think he is a misfit going forward. Boyle can help a team but he has some glaring weaknesses. Torts got the best out of him because he was able to play Boyle to his strengths. I do not think AV is playing Boyle to his strengths and its showing up on the ice.

I don't think Boyle is why they lost tonight but there were three or four breakouts that literally were stopped in their tracks because Boyle could not handle the puck. I think AV is asking too much off Boyle offensively and it is hurting him. I do not expect Boyle to score a lot of goals, but he was not able to handle the puck or make competent passes tonight as a result. This hurt the team's already anemic offense. No one on the team should be lauded for their defensive work, they do not know how to set up unless they forecheck. The team needs to improve in the neutral zone. This is not Boyle's forte.
I would have to say that I disagree with the bolded part. There were some fairly good defensive plays made tonight, many of them in the neutral zone, which is an area that they gave up in the last two games, I thought.

All in all, I thought they were much better this game. They have to strike quick at getting rid of Biron, and the dumb penalties have to stop. Sometimes it really is that simple.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:05 AM
  #47
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Boyle has not been fine this season. He cannot handle the puck at all and is killing them in transition. Boyle was passable in the previous regime, he should be moved for the better of the team.

This is not anti-Boyle so much as it is the fact that he does not fit what the team is trying to do going forward.
This statement is equal parts hilarious and sad - specifically because I have no idea how you could even define what that exactly is with the crap we've seen in the past week.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:16 AM
  #48
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
I would have to say that I disagree with the bolded part. There were some fairly good defensive plays made tonight, many of them in the neutral zone, which is an area that they gave up in the last two games, I thought.

All in all, I thought they were much better this game. They have to strike quick at getting rid of Biron, and the dumb penalties have to stop. Sometimes it really is that simple.
I agree with the second paragraph. Dorsett killed them tonight much more than Boyle did. The Rangers cannot overcome stupid penalties. My problem is going through the neutral zone on offense. I haven't seen them able to create offensively unless they have forechecked, or have already been in the opponents zone.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:17 AM
  #49
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 1,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
This statement is equal parts hilarious and sad - specifically because I have no idea how you could even define what that exactly is with the crap we've seen in the past week.
Fair enough, but from what I saw tonight, Boyle was in more offensive positions then we had seen in the previous regime, but this could be open to debate.

Savant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 12:20 AM
  #50
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,683
vCash: 500
The one satisfaction I had while attending the Ducks game was yelling "BOYLE YOU SUCK" as loud as I could in my Rangers jersey. I know he heard me.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.