HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

2013-2014 Prospect Stats and Discussion - Updated Jan 27

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
it went unnoticed here, but Slepyshev eventually managed to pot his first goal of the season couple days ago, and a pretty neat one at that.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:31 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 500
So he is back in the KHL?

Old
10-11-2013, 06:42 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

he never was meant to be sent down for long, he played just one game in the MHL versus archrivals Ak Bars (scored 1+1) during Salavat's 5-day stint without games and was recalled instantly.

Old
10-11-2013, 06:47 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade Blunderbore View Post
he never was meant to be sent down for long, he played just one game in the MHL versus archrivals Ak Bars (scored 1+1) during Salavat's 5-day stint without games and was recalled instantly.
Ah. Thanks for the update

10-12-2013, 02:12 AM
Seachd

I was just looking up some updated heights/weights of the European players and this is what I found, according to their team sites:

Erik Gustafsson - 6'0" 175
Teemu Hartikainen - 6'1" 220
Anton Slepyshev - 6'0" 175 (found this one odd/surprising/questionable?)
Antti Tyrvainen - 5'11" 200
Bogdan Yakimov - 6'6" 205
Daniil Zharkov - 6'4" 220
Niko Hovinen - 6'6" 225
Frans Tuohimaa - 6'2" 190

Old
10-12-2013, 02:15 AM
Seachd

Quiet night for the college players.

No points from anyone, although haven't seen results for Jones yet.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:22 AM
TimeForAnOilChange
Can We Fold The Team

I went to the Cougars-Everett game tonight to watch Khaira (and forgot that Betker is also on the same team). Jujhar went scoreless and -1, but he was put out for a ton of faceoffs and won most of them (quite easily too), he looks big out there, good stride too. Betker is a big kid too, didn't realize how big he was until I saw him tonight...he looked alright out there too.

Want to go to Saturdays game too, but I think I will be too busy to make it unfortunately.

Old
10-12-2013, 03:13 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
I was just looking up some updated heights/weights of the European players and this is what I found, according to their team sites:

Niko Hovinen - 6'6" 225
yeah, all true. he's a tad lightweight.

Old
10-12-2013, 04:34 AM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

Comrade do you know any other reason than the Russian factor that Slepyshev went undrafted the first time?

Old
10-12-2013, 04:48 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by teganandsara View Post
Comrade do you know any other reason than the Russian factor that Slepyshev went undrafted the first time?
He missed the draft combine (for school IIRC)

Old
10-12-2013, 05:20 AM
Fourier

Platzer had an assist last night, but it does look like he is playing down the roster. Nurse was pointless but was +2 in a 3-2 SSM win.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:20 AM
glassbangers
"I home."

Quote:
I pray every night before going to bed that Yakimov gets a magic dose of speed. Damn he would make perfect 2nd line C for us.

Old
10-12-2013, 07:50 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
He missed the draft combine (for school IIRC)
yeah, pretty much this. he chose to finish his school exams. everybody was baffled though how hadn't any team taken a flyer on him in later rounds that year.

Old
10-12-2013, 12:32 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Yakimov at 6'6"? Wow maybe the kid isn't done growing yet?

10-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
There were no articles saying Rieder was going back into the draft. At least none that I have seen. I actually feel somewhat responsible for this in a way since I speculated this might be the case after hearing comments on the Ranger broadcast the day he was traded. The Ranger broadcasters were saying how happy his agent seemed to be with the trade and they speculated that the Rieder camp did not see much of a future with the Oilers given the Oilers depth up front. Things kind of took off from there.

To be honest I still think it was a legitimate possibility given the timing of the deal and the Oilers roster at the time. But I have never seen any official confirmation that this would be the case.

As I said I followed almost every game Rieder played after being drafted, and while I was disappointed I understand the trade. Clearly Rieder has the higher upside offensively but Kessy is much more the type of player that the Oilers would need to complement their current core. In that regard it was a potentially justifiable gamble, even if it was a gamble.
If this is the case I apologize for the misinformation and dislike the trade a lot more. However, I have to concede that Rieder regressed in a big way his last year. I had high hopes for him as a Marco Sturm-style 2/3 line tweener and dynamite PKer.

Ho hum, I hope it works out for both sides. My brother (whose opinion I hold very high on prospects) has loved Kessy since his draft year and was really excited about the trade, so I can remain optimistic. Maybe he can be the elusive 'face puncher that doesn't suck.'

Still the start to the season has been great. It's like bizarro world from last year. Rather than a nearly complete list of prospects either spinning their tires or regressing (sans Khaira and maybe Simpson), the opposite seems to be happening. Except for maybe in Houck's case. I can't complain about a [darn] thing right now.

Old
10-12-2013, 02:04 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
it went unnoticed here, but Slepyshev eventually managed to pot his first goal of the season couple days ago, and a pretty neat one at that.
He did a nice job changing the angle for the shot: good goal.

Old
10-12-2013, 03:57 PM
40oz

Quote:

Niko Hovinen - 6'6" 225
That's weird. Every other site I've seen him has him at at least 6'2. Even the Oilers site him listed as him at 6'2 194.
Even just comparing him to his linemates on youtube videos Im confident in saying he's over 6 feet tall.

This can only be the result of some KHL conspiracy, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that Anton is actually 35 with a wife and kids.

Old
10-12-2013, 05:50 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
That's weird. Every other site I've seen him has him at at least 6'2. Even the Oilers site him listed as him at 6'2 194.
Even just comparing him to his linemates on youtube videos Im confident in saying he's over 6 feet tall.

This can only be the result of some KHL conspiracy, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to find out that Anton is actually 35 with a wife and kids.
well, i'd consider the Salavat official site best source of info on him, it being the team he plays for and stuff... it lists him as exactly that. he hasn't ever been at Oilers' hands to measure him independently yet.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Nurse so far this season gp7 g 1 A 6 pts 7 + 6

Old
10-13-2013, 01:18 AM
40oz

Quote:
well, i'd consider the Salavat official site best source of info on him, it being the team he plays for and stuff... it lists him as exactly that. he hasn't ever been at Oilers' hands to measure him independently yet.
Yah, I'd bet you're right. I figured the only other place to measure him recently would be for the WJC, and they confirm 6'0 and pretty light.

As for the rest of the site I'd imagine it gets posted one place over here and everyone spreads it from there.

Old
10-13-2013, 06:56 AM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethis View Post
If this is the case I apologize for the misinformation and dislike the trade a lot more. However, I have to concede that Rieder regressed in a big way his last year. I had high hopes for him as a Marco Sturm-style 2/3 line tweener and dynamite PKer.

Ho hum, I hope it works out for both sides. My brother (whose opinion I hold very high on prospects) has loved Kessy since his draft year and was really excited about the trade, so I can remain optimistic. Maybe he can be the elusive 'face puncher that doesn't suck.'

Still the start to the season has been great. It's like bizarro world from last year. Rather than a nearly complete list of prospects either spinning their tires or regressing (sans Khaira and maybe Simpson), the opposite seems to be happening. Except for maybe in Houck's case. I can't complain about a [darn] thing right now.
I know this is not a thread about Rieder but I think that what you said leads to an important thing for us to remember about all prospects. Most of us have little opportunity to follow prospects by any means other than the stat sheet. Unfortunately that can at time tell a lie. I watched almost every game Rieder played last year and I can say that he did not regress at all even if his numbers did. He had a very different role last year from the one he played the year before. Even when he was not scoring he often played very well. When the Ranges added Leivo and moved Rieder to the middle he really took off in both end of the ice.

I am guilty of it as much as anyone but we do need to remember that goals and assists don't always tell the whole story.

Old
10-13-2013, 07:36 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

Quote:
That's out of date. Gus is 6'0.5" and 203. He absolutely rocked Brett Sterling with a huge hit on the red line yesterday. Has also been playing really well lately. Very solid defensively and handles the puck very well. Would say he plays a game similar to that of Beauchemin.

Old
10-13-2013, 11:16 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

aspin went to the Broncos/Giants WHL game last night.

Quote:
I went to the Broncos/Giants game last night. Unfortunately I do not have a good repoft about Houck. The kid is a big body, does not have a good first or second stride. He is not played mu h. Very rarely he is used on thePP in front of the net. If I had to guess I would say he played 14 mins max. He had one thundering hit that caused three broncos to come to the aid of their teammate. The bad part of this report is that it always seems like Houck always labouring and gassed.....he does not have any pep out there whatsoever. It is noticeable.... the way he goes to the bench...the way he skates during a whistle....as if he is sick or has mono or something.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:26 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
aspin went to the Broncos/Giants WHL game last night.
Not a glowing report at all. I was fully expecting more from him this season.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:32 PM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Didn't see this posted yet:

http://www.coppernblue.com/2013/10/1...-darnell-nurse

Closed Thread