HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2013, 09:39 AM
  #301
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHS View Post
This is exactly my point. Pyatt is not nor ever will be a top 6 type forward. We currently have 2 players, Miller and Krieder who fit the bill of a top 6 forward in the minors. They have skill and speed, not sure why they would not get a chance right now.
They aren't ready for the NHL. Its plain as day. Stop projecting this fantasy just because they are young prospects. They need big minutes in the AHL to develop, period.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 09:54 AM
  #302
GAGLine
Registered User
 
GAGLine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 9,344
vCash: 500
I saw positive signs last night. If we can tighten up a bit more defensively, we'll be fine. I think we're headed in the right direction.

GAGLine is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 09:58 AM
  #303
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I saw positive signs last night. If we can tighten up a bit more defensively, we'll be fine. I think we're headed in the right direction.
I agree. With three days off between games they should be able to rest up, practice at home, and get a little more comfortable with the system. Hoping Nash is ready to go on Wednesday. I saw glimpses of the LA game last night, I think we can expect that a bit more, really the issues we have all start in our own end. Forwards aren't the most talented but they have outplayed our defense in most games.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:01 AM
  #304
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Are you really convinced that these guys can save the Rangers?

Dale Hunter? Wow.
I think Laviolette and Hunter both fit the Rangers current personnel extremely well.

Laviolette can do a great job with a veteran team and respects the art of the jam. Plus he is a fit with the USA core of the team. Not to mention his familiarity with the division.

Hunter knows how to build a team, make them work hard, make them buy into his system and develop youth talent. Just because Ovechkin hated him doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:02 AM
  #305
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 15,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
I think Laviolette and Hunter both fit the Rangers current personnel extremely well.

Laviolette can do a great job with a veteran team and respects the art of the jam. Plus he is a fit with the USA core of the team. Not to mention his familiarity with the division.

Hunter knows how to build a team, make them work hard, make them buy into his system and develop youth talent. Just because Ovechkin hated him doesn't mean he doesn't know what he is doing.
Going with your criteria, you know who would be a good option? John Tortorella.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:08 AM
  #306
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
The coach isn't getting fired, save your breath.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
  #307
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,324
vCash: 50
Cup isn't won or lost in October.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:21 AM
  #308
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Going with your criteria, you know who would be a good option? John Tortorella.
I agree. I thought Torts needed to either be fired mid season to find a coach that could win with Nash and Gaborik, or they needed one more year with his guys from the Columbus trade, so they could evaluate that's effect on the teams and where everyone this offseason stood when most of the teams contracts are up.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:28 AM
  #309
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Are you really convinced that these guys can save the Rangers?

Dale Hunter? Wow.
Look at his junior record. He's had a hand in developing a bunch of players that played well for the Rangers. Girardi, Prust, Del Zotto. Olli Matta whose been great for Pits this year was coached by him. Tavares, Kane, Gagner, Kadri, Corey Perry and the Ranger's very own Rick Nash are all Dale Hunter products.

Guy's a great coach and talent developer.

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:30 AM
  #310
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Healey felt Sather was more interested in helping the Banff flood victims than the Rangers. He had the Rangers spend 5 days in Banff for training camp and they participated in a golf tournament to raise money. Those are 4-5 days the team could have spent in NY.

Quote:
“You’ve got to listen to the Missus,” the president and general manager of the New York Rangers hockey franchise tells me with a mischievous smile. “Don’t all smart guys know that?”

So when Ann, his wife of 43 years, suggested he do something to help out victims of the June floods in southern Alberta, Sather knew well enough to heed her suggestion.

“We were watching it on TV as we were packing to come home,” says the man who calls Banff home part of the year and is known best in these parts as the former coach of the Edmonton Oilers during the Gretzky-glory days of the 1980s. “Ann said, ‘Why don’t we do something for those people who lost so much?’ She knew I could get something going.”

Get something going he did. Not long after, the High River-born Sather approached his friends at the Fairmont Banff Springs Hotel. Would they be interested in hosting a fundraiser with the New York Rangers? Heck yes, said David Roberts, the hotel’s general manager.
http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...rald+-+News%29

They raised $250,000. Sather and his wife could have written a check from their own funds to help the Alberta flood victims.

RangerBoy is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:33 AM
  #311
raylol16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Queens
Country: United States
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
I saw positive signs last night. If we can tighten up a bit more defensively, we'll be fine. I think we're headed in the right direction.
They definitely had moments where they looked like they were putting it together. There was a time in the game where they had great puck control and pressure. They just need to be more consistent with that and less lapses in defensive coverage.

raylol16 is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 10:48 AM
  #312
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,022
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Cup isn't won or lost in October.
True. But you have to make the playoffs to win the Cup and you can lose a playoff spot in October.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  #313
DekeR
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
In my opinion it all starts at the top. Without taking out Slats this team has no chance at the cup. No NYR identity, no consistent style - nada.

DekeR is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:17 AM
  #314
Muckr
Registered User
 
Muckr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Does this sound right

First, might this be just a steep learning curve that next month the team is in sync, or is this a serious disconnect?

Second.....
You know I never liked the idea of blaming Torts for our poor offense. To me, I think Torts had a great defensive that got the most out of our personnel.
People say the Rangers got sick of his structure, nah, I think Torts got canned because he was too rigid and inflexible. He would not make some adjustments to adapt to new personnel.
He got big headed thinking his system as is was best and it had to be 100% pure.
When the players disagreed he got nasty and it was his rigid ness, arrogance, and rude mean treatment that got him fired.

The Rangers didn't need a new system, they needed Torts to be more flexible and humane. Torts needed to be like Coughlin who lightened up after 2006.

Point is the a Rangers just needed Torts to lighten up, or find a coach who offered the structure Torts has with a less inflexible negative personality.

Muckr is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:24 AM
  #315
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
First, might this be just a steep learning curve that next month the team is in sync, or is this a serious disconnect?

Second.....
You know I never liked the idea of blaming Torts for our poor offense. To me, I think Torts had a great defensive that got the most out of our personnel.
People say the Rangers got sick of his structure, nah, I think Torts got canned because he was too rigid and inflexible. He would not make some adjustments to adapt to new personnel.
He got big headed thinking his system as is was best and it had to be 100% pure.
When the players disagreed he got nasty and it was his rigid ness, arrogance, and rude mean treatment that got him fired.

The Rangers didn't need a new system, they needed Torts to be more flexible and humane. Torts needed to be like Coughlin who lightened up after 2006.

Point is the a Rangers just needed Torts to lighten up, or find a coach who offered the structure Torts has with a less inflexible negative personality.
Man on man is a little more difficult than zone, they'll figure it out.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:53 AM
  #316
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeR View Post
In my opinion it all starts at the top. Without taking out Slats this team has no chance at the cup. No NYR identity, no consistent style - nada.
Sather will walk away when he wants to and Gorton will step in. I feel Gorton has been just as responsible as Sather for the roster construction so do you fire Gorton as well?

I am not necessarily opposed to this, but I have a list with one name who I would want to take over.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  #317
Mikos87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,090
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Man on man is a little more difficult than zone, they'll figure it out.
Man on man means that guys have to win one on one battles. Winning those battles require size, strength, and skating ability, and there are deficiencies in several areas with the on-ice product there.

I'm not one to soften a blow after a loss, but there were fewer deficiencies in this past game vs St Louis than the previous two. Still the same story of the bottom end of the roster not being able to do the job and repeatedly seeing the ice.

Those 5 minutes to start the 3rd period was the closest thing to NHL hockey this team has played before Dorsett killed all momentum, then with the Tarasenko goal the game was "over".

Mikos87 is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 11:56 AM
  #318
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Man on man is a little more difficult than zone, they'll figure it out.
The only defenseman I am worried about is Girardi. I think he is a misfit but luckily he is tradable.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:05 PM
  #319
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke
 
Barbara Underhill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Montana
Country: United States
Posts: 13,204
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikos87 View Post
Man on man means that guys have to win one on one battles. Winning those battles require size, strength, and skating ability, and there are deficiencies in several areas with the on-ice product there.

I'm not one to soften a blow after a loss, but there were fewer deficiencies in this past game vs St Louis than the previous two. Still the same story of the bottom end of the roster not being able to do the job and repeatedly seeing the ice.

Those 5 minutes to start the 3rd period was the closest thing to NHL hockey this team has played before Dorsett killed all momentum, then with the Tarasenko goal the game was "over".
Yep, I think we've got some talented D-men who should be ok, we also have several that have above average mobility which should help them adjust or make up for an error. My only real concerns are Girardi who seems better suited to a zone defense and MDZ who seems like a dunce and is prone to brain farts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
The only defenseman I am worried about is Girardi. I think he is a misfit but luckily he is tradable.
It doesn't fit his style well that's for sure, has good value right now and would be the first D-man I'd probably consider moving. Problem is we don't really have anyone to fill that void.

Barbara Underhill is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  #320
Muckr
Registered User
 
Muckr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: I-95
Country: United States
Posts: 1,409
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Man on man is a little more difficult than zone, they'll figure it out.
And what are the Rangers under AV supposed to be?
Is there a Rangers blog which telestrates and breaks down Ranger plays?

Muckr is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:16 PM
  #321
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,552
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savant View Post
Sather will walk away when he wants to and Gorton will step in. I feel Gorton has been just as responsible as Sather for the roster construction so do you fire Gorton as well?

I am not necessarily opposed to this, but I have a list with one name who I would want to take over.
Yep. Gorton, Clark, and Schoenfield, along with the Rangers' scouting staff are all big parts of the problem, and if Sather leaves or is (more likely) kicked upstairs to be President, nothing will change unless there is a complete overhaul of front office and hockey operations staff.

bmoak is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  #322
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
we got to wait till we have a full team on FWD and actually play home games.. playing entire pre-season out west and then opening the season in some of the hardest areans/playoff teams to play in so far is not what we needed with a new coach, system.. nash and hags in the lineup will make all the difference, but mainly home games.. its all about routines and noone is in one right now
obv..

dethomas07 is offline  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #323
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
It doesn't fit his style well that's for sure, has good value right now and would be the first D-man I'd probably consider moving. Problem is we don't really have anyone to fill that void.
Well there are a couple options. You could try and get a young team controlled righty as part of a Girardi deal (Brendan Smith? Jake Gardiner/Cody Franson? Sami Vatanen? Etc.)

If that doesn't happy it probably means we are rebuilding anyway, so I would think about moving John Moore up, playing him on the right, and calling up Connor Allen.

And then there is Dylan McIlrath if he can get right.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 12:57 PM
  #324
Savant
Registered User
 
Savant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,419
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Yep. Gorton, Clark, and Schoenfield, along with the Rangers' scouting staff are all big parts of the problem, and if Sather leaves or is (more likely) kicked upstairs to be President, nothing will change unless there is a complete overhaul of front office and hockey operations staff.
if the guillotine fell I would give John Davidson a blank check to come home.

Savant is online now  
Old
10-13-2013, 02:02 PM
  #325
dethomas07
Registered User
 
dethomas07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Yep. Gorton, Clark, and Schoenfield, along with the Rangers' scouting staff are all big parts of the problem, and if Sather leaves or is (more likely) kicked upstairs to be President, nothing will change unless there is a complete overhaul of front office and hockey operations staff.
i think gorton and clark have done excellent.. its not prospects.. its UFAs, and the trades they made the past 2 years that set them back..

all our first rounders, besides McIrath have proved they can play or will be able to play in this league one day as nhl top 6 d and top 9 fwds at the least.. we've had great success with drafting..

when you draft outside the top 5 even top 10 nothing is guaranteed.. i think they have done an excellent job drafting..

we have to much of the same kind of players.. pyatt, moore, boyle, poulion, asham, dorsett we have two of each of the same kind of players.. and they are all in the lineup!! that = a problem.. once nash and hags return, things will settle down and roles will be assigned better!

dethomas07 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:19 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.