HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (Part 6)

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Ouu you've used the bold option. Good for you. You and agnostic have become a hilarious duo to read in this thread.
So... you're not (sweet italics, right?) going to dig up any of those posts? Prefer to do this instead?

Old
10-13-2013, 12:56 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

One thing I hope he works on and that Waite works with him 'cause Groulx didn't seem to do **** in that regard, I hope he moves less in front of his net. More composed, needs to have more confidence in his reflexes. But less movement, less overplaying the shot and better protection in the 5-hole with a better stick work and he will be a top 5 goalie. He already has started to work on his post to post movement and that's great to see. Still some details to work on. Really hope Waite gets that through.

Old
10-13-2013, 12:59 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
So... you're not (sweet italics, right?) going to dig up any of those posts? Prefer to do this instead?
I'm on a smartphone and won't have access to a laptop or desktop until tomorrow. Such is the nature of thanksgiving.

Italics huh? My arguments are now invalid. Use the underline function and the boards might shutdown.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:00 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm on a smartphone and won't have access to a laptop or desktop until tomorrow. Such is the nature of thanksgiving.
Well that's certainly convenient for you and your hyperbole. I guess we'll have to wait.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:04 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
One thing I hope he works on and that Waite works with him 'cause Groulx didn't seem to do **** in that regard, I hope he moves less in front of his net. More composed, needs to have more confidence in his reflexes. But less movement, less overplaying the shot and better protection in the 5-hole with a better stick work and he will be a top 5 goalie. He already has started to work on his post to post movement and that's great to see. Still some details to work on. Really hope Waite gets that through.
One thing noticeable last night was the level of "second effort". He was making the move for the second shot, diving, etc. stuff we don't see Price do. Every goaltender gives rebounds but Price's problem is he tends to admire his initial save for a split second. It leaves the impression he's lazy, also leaves him a split second out of position for second shots.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Charon

Carey has been playing very well to start the season. He's stolen one game, and hasn't played a bad game yet. And Budaj played pretty well in his one start too. Meanwhile, many other "elite" high-paid goalies have had pretty bad starts and some pretty bad games (see Rinne, Lundqvist).

Goaltending is the least of our concerns at the moment IMO. Our number 1 goalie is playing well and we have a capable backup. We need to have our forward lines all clicking more consistently (not just one) and we need stability on our blueline beyond our first pairing. Until that happens, we will be relying on excellent goaltending to win us games throughout the season.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:15 PM
Plante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
One thing noticeable last night was the level of "second effort". He was making the move for the second shot, diving, etc. stuff we don't see Price do. Every goaltender gives rebounds but Price's problem is he tends to admire his initial save for a split second. It leaves the impression he's lazy, also leaves him a split second out of position for second shots.
I've never understood this aspect of his goaltending, we're always taught to fight like our life is on the line until that goal horn comes on, but he has a knack for dropping into butterfly, then just watch the puck go to the left as he maintains his initial butterfly stance for a half a second.

Like, what the eff Price.

Goaltending is 50% mental, and I can only assume that its incredibly hard to maintain a strict mental focus in Price's position.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:18 PM
the

Carey Price was huge yesterday, excellent performance. Can't remember the last time he was sharp like this. I don't mind him getting all the praise in the world when he plays like that.

Great performance!

Old
10-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Seemed to me that it's the obsession of positional play. Don't get me wrong....it is extremely important. But you have the feeling that in his case, most of the time, he works to be extremely square to the puck, and if they end up beating him after a rebound, so be it. Did seem to miss that extra ingrendient of fighting back from reflexes if beated. And that position thing also is one of the reason for what he moves so much. He always want to be incredibly square to the puck, which I don't believe he always have to be. Frankly, at one point, we love to blame Price, he is a big kid, can take care of his own.....but we have to look towards his goalie coaches as well. Melanson and Groulx.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:21 PM
Aceekay

Even after a great performance price is still getting criticized, I mean do you guys even sleep?

Old
10-13-2013, 01:22 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
Even after a great performance price is still getting criticized, I mean do you guys even sleep?
Called constructive criticisms. Nobody wants his head. Nobody wants him to be traded. Nobody hates him. Chill out. I did say he was absolutely brillant last night but I guess you missed that memo.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:26 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Why can't everyone just be happy that he's been playing extremely well this year (so far)?

Old
10-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
He always want to be incredibly square to the puck, which I don't believe he always have to be.
You can get square to the puck without sliding most of your body beyond the scoring area that you're trying to protect. At a certain point I believe you have to stop being obsessed with taking everything off the exact middle of the chest protector in order to remain closer to the front of the net and in position to make second saves. If most of the league seems heavily geared on running plays that create scoring chances from rebounds and scrums in front of the net, you gotta fine tune that part of your game.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:32 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Why can't everyone just be happy that he's been playing extremely well this year (so far)?
He's playing well indeed. Wouldn't go to extremely but that's semantics and no need to go there. Saved the game yesterday though, that's for sure. But in a hockey board, a subject filled with "He's good", "He's great", "He's fine", wouldn't be interesting. Just like a thread filled with "He's bad" "He sucks" "He's terrible".

The thing is that Price is and will ever be a subject to talk about. So there's only 2 things here. People who hate seeing that thread can ignore it. Or the mods could take the decision to just close it and not accept a thread about him....which I would found strange but it would be their decision.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:33 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Nobody wants his head. Nobody wants him to be traded. Nobody hates him.
Based on this thread that's quite incorrect.

Old
10-13-2013, 01:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Based on this thread that's quite incorrect.
Again, I'm pretty sure that mostly semantics, and number analysis are talked about here. Did we see trade proposals? Is there actually a majority of people in here who have enough of him based on this season? I think that people read things that is actually not there...Honestly, it really started when people were calling him incredible and how he shouldn't take that much of the blame, while others were calling him just good and should probably take more the blame than the others wanted to give him.....And at worst, if most of the bashers do think that he's top 10-15 while the "lovers" still think he's top 5....not sure again that hating him or trading him was often really taken into consideration. I'm not a lover and for a long time, I think that the best best we have with him is seeing him succeed....here.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:04 PM
No Team Needed

Quote:
Again, I'm pretty sure that mostly semantics, and number analysis are talked about here. Did we see trade proposals? Is there actually a majority of people in here who have enough of him based on this season? I think that people read things that is actually not there...Honestly, it really started when people were calling him incredible and how he shouldn't take that much of the blame, while others were calling him just good and should probably take more the blame than the others wanted to give him.....And at worst, if most of the bashers do think that he's top 10-15 while the "lovers" still think he's top 5....not sure again that hating him or trading him was often really taken into consideration. I'm not a lover and for a long time, I think that the best best we have with him is seeing him succeed....here.
Yes, people here believe that goaltenders cannot be affected by the rest of their team and that Carey Price is not a playoff goalie. If you don't believe that Price is a "playoff goalie" then you have to deduce they want him off the team to get a "playoff goalie" to lead Montreal to the Cup. Nevermind that the notion is completely silly. Price has had bad games and bad years but it ain't like he's allergic to playoff hockey. However people want to believe in their heart of hearts that if Price played better than Craig Anderson that the players on the team would have magically found spots to score on Anderson and Montreal would have scored more goals if Price stopped more pucks.

Really, it's just easier to blame one player than to blame the team. Too many folks here really shouldn't be cheering for one team. They should just cheer for the players they draft in their fantasy hockey pool.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:11 PM
MTLSandman*

Quote:
You obviously missed the countless trade proposals in the offseason with him in it. Not to mention we had idk how many ppl saying since his stats weren't even in the top 30 goalies last year that he wasn't even a good goalie. Countless people have said we will never win with Price, that he's never going to bring us a cup.

I've seen posters saying he was basically in the same category a Devin ****ing dubnyk!

You can't come here and pretend that people some people don't massively underrate him just like some overrate him ( even though I do think he's a top 5-6 goalie in the nhl and I wouldn't trade him for any other starter considering his age)

But to say that no one wants him traded or no one says he's no better than budaj, just isn't true.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:15 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
Yes, people here believe that goaltenders cannot be affected by the rest of their team and that Carey Price is not a playoff goalie. If you don't believe that Price is a "playoff goalie" then you have to deduce they want him off the team to get a "playoff goalie" to lead Montreal to the Cup. Nevermind that the notion is completely silly. Price has had bad games and bad years but it ain't like he's allergic to playoff hockey. However people want to believe in their heart of hearts that if Price played better than Craig Anderson that the players on the team would have magically found spots to score on Anderson and Montreal would have scored more goals if Price stopped more pucks.

Really, it's just easier to blame one player than to blame the team.
Too many folks here really shouldn't be cheering for one team. They should just cheer for the players they draft in their fantasy hockey pool.
For a lot of posters this is definitely true and it's especially true of those in the Kool-Aid crowd who dont' want to admit that there's anything wrong with this team. Smurfs up front? No problem, size doesn't matter at all. Bad D? Nawww we just need better goaltending. Played badly? It's all on the coach. That's just the way it is with some folks. If it's just the goalie or just the coach then it's an easy fix and then the team is awesome and fits in with the preconceived notion that this team is a cup champion being sabotaged by one or two elements.

Yes our coaching could be improved and yes Price isn't perfect (no goalie is) but our problems stem much further than this. Too small upfront, not nearly enough guys willing to pay the price up there either and our D is a mess in our own end.

That's reality. Those are the areas that really need fixing. And until we actually address them, we aren't going anywhere. Guys can scream at the coach or at the goalie all they want, we need meaningful change on this team. And it's sad we didn't get this in the offseason because I still don't think we're that far away from becoming legit contenders. One PF one stay at home guy... take away Briere. That's a good lineup.

Hopefully mgmt wakes the **** up.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Called constructive criticisms. Nobody wants his head. Nobody wants him to be traded. Nobody hates him. Chill out. I did say he was absolutely brillant last night but I guess you missed that memo.
I wasn't talking about you, so chill out. I was talking about the usual suspect, and don't tell me no one hates price because that's a lie.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:49 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
I don't know how you can be a fan of this team for the past few years and not notice the amount of people that simply want Price gone. There were comparisons to Peter Budaj and Devan Dubnyk...

Rest assured there is a large group of people that have always made an effort to criticize Price whenever they can, and for no particularly logical reason. It's a borderline obsession for certain posters.

Old
10-13-2013, 02:54 PM
Genesis76

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLennon View Post
I don't know how you can be a fan of this team for the past few years and not notice the amount of people that simply want Price gone. There were comparisons to Peter Budaj and Devan Dubnyk...

Rest assured there is a large group of people that have always made an effort to criticize Price whenever they can, and for no particularly logical reason. It's a borderline obsession for certain posters.
Same can be said for Price Lovers, He used to be compared to Patrick Roy when he got here if you forgot.

Old
10-13-2013, 03:09 PM
pine*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Same can be said for Price Lovers, He used to be compared to Patrick Roy when he got here if you forgot.
Not sure whether to categorize you as a Price lover or hater. On one hand, three quarters of your posts relate to him... on the other hand, three quarters of your posts relate to him.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/se...duser&u=196723

The obsession is fascinating. I can only admire your perseverance as I stand in awe before you.

Old
10-13-2013, 03:12 PM
JohnLennon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis76 View Post
Agreed. Both sides are equally obsessed and somewhat blind. It seems way more illogical to be hating Price at this point in the season though, I'm sure you'll agree.

Old
10-13-2013, 03:23 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Frankly WS, I think you have no clue what you are talking about when it comes to goaltending and think you should focuss more on your strengths, defensemen and fowards... I think you are vainly over scrutinizing Carey Price and you are going nowhere with it.. Technically Price is basically flawless and is an example to follow for all the young goaltenders who want to get better... Technically, he is easilly among the 3 best goaltenders in the league with Rask and Rinne, you just cant beat him with an average shot or an average play, it takes a defelction, a screened shot, a breakaway ect ect.. I fail to understand how you can be so critic toward Price when Lunqvist, the best goaltender in the league according to you, is far from being perfect technically, while he covers alot of space in the net with his size and positionning, he is rather slow to move in his net..

Last edited by NewHabsEra*: 10-13-2013 at 04:08 PM.
Closed Thread