HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Ovechkin

Old
12-03-2006, 12:53 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak_FTW View Post
That was definitely not a harmless nudge...
Well it wasn't the hit from behind it was painted as. Ovechkin didn't even put his body into it, actually changing his skating direction as contact is made. At worst it was a shove, of the variety you see many times a game but at an inopportune (and dangerous) time.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 02:17 AM
Form and Substance

vCash: 500
Those who fault Briere for ''embellishing'' the effect of the hit are ****ing stupid and don't have the remotest notion of simple physics.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 02:23 AM
Foy

[QUOTE=Belak_FTW;7243188]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post

As for the hit, I dunno. I've definitely seen much worse, in fact it looked like a rather harmless nudge but the results would indicate otherwise.

QUOTE]

That was definitely not a harmless nudge...
There are approximately 100 hits per game that are harder than that hit. Why isn't anyone mentioning the Briere flying elbow that caused it? Or the fact that two sabres jumped off the bench after the play? Those were the two dirty events, and eveyone's glossing over them

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 03:08 AM
Buffalo87
thehosers dot com

[QUOTE=Foy;7243770]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belak_FTW View Post
There are approximately 100 hits per game that are harder than that hit. Why isn't anyone mentioning the Briere flying elbow that caused it? Or the fact that two sabres jumped off the bench after the play? Those were the two dirty events, and eveyone's glossing over them
Get a clue, it was in the middle of a line-change, both guys who jumped on were coming on because their guys were going off.

Buffalo87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 05:54 AM
bd007h*

Send a message via AIM to bd007h* Send a message via MSN to bd007h*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
The two sabres were coming off the bench were coming off on the same line change that was bringing Briere off of the ice. As for the flying elbow, you're the only person I've heard bring that up, so I assume you're just making things up.

bd007h* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 09:50 AM
felixd

Seriously though, the hit was not that hard.

I wouldn't even say it was that dirty, little shoves like that happen at the end of every shift, look at the end of the first period Montreal/Toronto, Murray gives Sundin a much harder shove, but nothing happens.

Maybe it was dangerous to hit him close to the boards, but seriously it wasn't a cheapshot or "the wose hit since Bertuzzi"(yes some fan of the greatest team in hockey ever to lace up skates actually said this in the NHL board)

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
Harry Kakalovich

I haven't seen the hit (link anyone?) but I will venture to say that Daniel Briere is a cheap a** player who dives consistently and doesn't get called when he spears people or elbows them, etc. I think it is awful when these dirty short players get away with cheap shots and penalties just because they are small and fast (read Martin St.Louis). Briere may well be the worst example of this phenomenon, and the more times that guy gets nailed hard the better for the entire NHL, IMO. It pains and puzzles me to say this, but I think I have more respect for Darcy Tucker than for Daniel Briere, if that is possible.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:26 AM
David

When I first saw the hit, I thought that it was eerily similar to the one that Dale Hunter dished out to Pierre Turgeon during the '93 Stanely Cup playoffs.

The only real difference was the out come...Turgeon was out for a few weeks while Briere was okay...

I believe that Hunter got something like a 21 game suspension for that hit.

Ovechkin won't get nearly that though...seeing as how NHL knows who butters their toast...

David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:37 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick side View Post
I haven't seen the hit (link anyone?) but I will venture to say that Daniel Briere is a cheap a** player who dives consistently and doesn't get called when he spears people or elbows them, etc. I think it is awful when these dirty short players get away with cheap shots and penalties just because they are small and fast (read Martin St.Louis). Briere may well be the worst example of this phenomenon, and the more times that guy gets nailed hard the better for the entire NHL, IMO. It pains and puzzles me to say this, but I think I have more respect for Darcy Tucker than for Daniel Briere, if that is possible.
Here's the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lnw3bou2NA

I personally don't think Danny dove on this play, but...it wasn't a hard hit.

Old
12-03-2006, 10:41 AM
felixd

Ovechkin maybe deserves a game or two suspension, nothing more.

Hard to tell from that clip and I didn't watch the game so maybe a Sabres or Caps fan can correct me on this, but it seems like Gaustad leaves the bench to go protect Briere. That is going to get him a suspension, and Mair should also get suspended for kicking Muir while he was down.

Old
12-03-2006, 10:56 AM
westcoast habsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Albino View Post
Well it wasn't the hit from behind it was painted as. Ovechkin didn't even put his body into it, actually changing his skating direction as contact is made. At worst it was a shove, of the variety you see many times a game but at an inopportune (and dangerous) time.
You're right. According to today's Washington Post Ovechkin said he simply ran into Briere and would never throw "a not legal hit" as he put it in broken english. Apparently, Briere was carrying the puck up ice with OV trailing him when Briere dumped the puck in, and suddenly stopped to turn towards the bench for a line change.

When Briere stopped in front of him, OV said he didn't have time to stop his own forward motion, and tried to avoid him but ended up making contact anyway.

The replays I've seen only show OV making contact with Briere and it makes the hit look deliberate, even though OV doesn't hit him that hard. However, this explanation makes sense and I believe it. It was one of those hits that looked like incidental contact, but at the same time, because they don't show the play leading up to it, it also looks very deliberate and dirty. I'll take OV at his word, over the exploitatious media.

westcoast habsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 11:08 AM
phil666

the more i look at it, the more i think briere let him hit to dive and draw a penalty, he may not have fell the way he expected it though.

You see about 2 sec before the hit on the replay that danny turns his head around a little and he probably saw ovechkin coming with his side vision. Clear dive on that play.

phil666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
When I first saw the hit, I thought that it was eerily similar to the one that Dale Hunter dished out to Pierre Turgeon during the '93 Stanely Cup playoffs.

The only real difference was the out come...Turgeon was out for a few weeks while Briere was okay...

I believe that Hunter got something like a 21 game suspension for that hit.

Ovechkin won't get nearly that though...seeing as how NHL knows who butters their toast...

Dale Hunter hit him like 5 seconds after he scored a goal, COMPLETELY different scenario here so get your facts straight.

He'll probably get a game or two for this, by the looks of the hit it ended up being a lot more uglier then I'm pretty sure OV intended it to be. OV plays the game with so much intensity and drive that I believe this time it just got the best of him and he made a stupid play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalo87 View Post

Get a clue, it was in the middle of a line-change, both guys who jumped on were coming on because their guys were going off.
Listen to the YOUTUBE, the Sabres had 7 guys on the ice while the fights were going on. You're right that there was a line change but you do know that players have to come OFF the ice as well, right?

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 11:26 AM
Harry Kakalovich

Thanks for the link, felixd.

Looking at the hit, all I can say is that Briere should have (and hopefully soon will have) a reputation for diving. I'm not sure if he dove on this particular play, but he draws far too many penalties than he deserves to get, and I think the refs should start letting people kick the **** out of this guy without giving him penalties, because he flops all over the ice. Look at Kovalev, he has a rep for diving (dating back to some playoff incident years ago) and he doesn't get the calls, a lot of times even though they are merited. Briere should have that rep too. Mind you in the "new NHL" it seems small players are given license to dive and get rewarded.

As for the hit, I wouldn't give a suspension for the hit. It wasn't very hard and like I said, Briere tends to embellish his falls.

Harry Kakalovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 10:38 AM
Namso

why would ovie get a suspension for a little jab in teh back???

if ovie really wanted to hit briere, he would have hit him, ovie's broken the glass with his checks before.

not ovie's fault that briere is a little diver.

Namso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 10:44 AM
VGTvidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
Who are you people kidding. Watch the video, he didn't hit him that hard at all. The hit on Bouillion while he was down was MUCH harder then the little shoulder jar OA did. If he gets suspended it's because he had absolutely no reason to touch Briere, but the hit wasn't dirty, only pointless

Agree with you, the hit was really small ... the hit could have been dirty if it would have been harder but damn... it looked like a small hit from my 5 years old cousin

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:20 AM
TroyM

It was a tiny hit, no doubt about it. That was a call based on the reaction, not the action, and those always bother me. Mind you I have no respect for Briere so my opinion is a little bias. I think it looked like there was a fraction of time before he got hit and he started to go down, I don't think it was entirely a dive, but I agree that it looked like he saw Ovy and embellished a little. Also, you can see Ovy as soon as he did it he looked up to the sky like 'ahh ****, I'm screwed' which made me laugh.

Also the fact that Briere stayed on the ice that long to not miss a shift bothers me more than anything. When I played hockey I would never stay on the ice if I had the power to get up myself, get to the bench first especially if you are that damn close and then take a seat. It reminds of something Tucker or another classy fella like that would do.

TroyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:39 AM
The n00b King ©*

although the discussion is fine and dandy, why is this on the habs board???

i think there's a thread on this on the main board (where it should be)...

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 11:44 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by The n00b King © View Post
although the discussion is fine and dandy, why is this on the habs board???

i think there's a thread on this on the main board (where it should be)...
No it got closed, due to Wash/Buf homers making ridiculous comments. (Worst hit since Betuzzi and Brière was "asking" for it, Brière threw a flying elbow, Ovie should be suspended 10 games minimum...etc)

Old
12-04-2006, 12:18 PM
jacklours

I can't believe we're even having this discussion. The hit was from behind Brière's back and was late. Wether it was a hard hit or just a little puch is irrelevent to the in-game call . For those who can remotly think briere dove, just look at his snap, that from a referee point of view is an easy, and I mean easy 5 minutes by behind call.

Anyways the only place where the intensity of the hit comes in is at the discipline comit where they'll decide if he gets 1-5-100 games, in this case it wasn't that hard a hit, but it's not really the referre to decide since his job is just to call the play.

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 12:37 PM
guapo23

When I first saw the hit I thought it was a cheap shot worthy of a suspension.

But after seeing it at normal speed I think it was just a boarding penalty.

If you watch it in slow motion it looks way worse than it is.

At full speed you clearly see that AO was just trying to finish his check after Briere dumped the puck in.

At the worst possible moment Briere decided to go off on a change.
AO was already in motion to finish his check and at the last millisecond Briere turned towards the boards.

Obviously in slow motion it looks like AO sees him going off and decides to hit him from behind but at normal speed you see that it happened way too fast for AO to adjust to Briere's sudden decision and not finish his check...

In slow motion the hit looks late. At normal speed you see that it in an unfortunate boarding call not worthy of an attempt to injure suspension.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-04-2006, 01:10 PM
tritone

-Ovechkin gives a nudge at an inopportune time (dirty but not really that bad)
-Briere off balance goes to the boards in a weird way
So far, I would say "AO deserves a penalty and end of story"
But then I continue to watch the video and see Briere on the ice playing dead but wait, wait , here it comes....YES , he lifts his head to see if the play has been stopped before resuming his almost dead position....ohhhhhhhh boy....EMBELLISHMENT TO THE FIRST DEGREE....cry wolf Briere cry wolf.

tritone is offline   Reply With Quote