HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sat., Oct. 12 2013|Flyers 2 at Red Wings 5

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  #176
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gto64dr View Post
What's wrong with the offense? Simple, you miss 100% of the shots you don't take. We have been playing hot potato with the puck for a long time. I think Berube is part of the problem not part of the solution. He has been running the power play for a while and during that tenure we have taken less and less shots. Scoring is not rocket science, when you have a shot you take it. We play Pass, Pass, Pass until it gets tipped away or we miss the pass.
1- The last two games they've had 34 and 37 shots. The problem isn't that they don't take shots, it's that they can't score when they do because they don't have a single legitimate sniper on the team.

2- Berube handled the PK not PP

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:16 PM
  #177
Striiker
Orange and Black
 
Striiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,121
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post


I don't think so. Mez is an overpaid 3rd pairing d-man and a pending UFA at that. Talbot is a 4th liner and pk specialist. Compare that to a minute eater top 4 like Coburn only getting .5 mil more then Mez and is signed for another two yrs.

Harebell, Coburn plus to even get them thinking about it IMO. I really don't think it's worth it though.
Yeah I didn't think that would actually work, it was just wish.

Striiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:24 PM
  #178
flybynite77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 399
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striiker View Post
1- The last two games they've had 34 and 37 shots. The problem isn't that they don't take shots, it's that they can't score when they do because they don't have a single legitimate sniper on the team.

2- Berube handled the PK not PP
100% on that. The Flyers will almost always go for the go with a better "all-around" game and not a natural goal scorer over a offensive oriented sniper who has holes in the rest of their game.

A Miroslav Satan type in his prime would do wonders. Giroux's assist numbers would be very good if he actually had a legit finisher on this team.

It doesn't matter how many shots a team takes if they're shooting them right into the goalie.

flybynite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:54 PM
  #179
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,196
vCash: 500
The problem isn't necessarily that we don't have a sniper a la Carter (though it would help), but that our offensive chances and shots are usually weak quality. It's a case of quantity versus quality and we're taking the quantity side of things. A lot of our offense is one and done and/or chest-snipes. Over the course of this season there's been little maintained offensive pressure or maintained cycles.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:03 PM
  #180
SolidSnakeUS
Registered User
 
SolidSnakeUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Pipersville, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 29,720
vCash: 500
In terms of trading, instead of Eberle, how about Vanek? Problem is, he's a UFA at the end of this year.

Honestly, I still see one of the problems the Flyers have is board play. It's either they get outnumbered or aren't pushing that hard sometimes.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 04:07 PM
  #181
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,081
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
The problem isn't necessarily that we don't have a sniper a la Carter (though it would help), but that our offensive chances and shots are usually weak quality. It's a case of quantity versus quality and we're taking the quantity side of things. A lot of our offense is one and done and/or chest-snipes. Over the course of this season there's been little maintained offensive pressure or maintained cycles.
Yep.

30+ shots mean nothing if the goalie you're shooting at doesn't have to do anything special to stop them.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 05:01 PM
  #182
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Edmonton isn't close enough to competing for that to make sense for them, in my option.

Simmonds + Coburn for Eberle + defensive prospect is probably about as good as we could hope for. I'm not sold, but I understand the appeal.
That's a fair deal.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 05:29 PM
  #183
gto64dr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 268
vCash: 500
Yes, lot's of point shots. But why do we pass, pass, pass before we shoot. Enter the zone and shoot or one pass and shoot. This pass, pass, pass does nothing but give the goalie time to set up. Our PP develops too slowly, by the time we get it organized and to the shooter the goalie is in place for the stop. I go nuts every time we have a shot and choose to pass.

gto64dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 05:32 PM
  #184
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Yep.

30+ shots mean nothing if the goalie you're shooting at doesn't have to do anything special to stop them.
Michael Leighton should have proved that to all Flyers fans.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 05:36 PM
  #185
PropJoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Some interesting stuff here in the graphs showing that the Flyers performances have steadily improved under Berube: http://www.extraskater.com/team/phil...ia-flyers/2013

It's definitely a small sample but I'm certainly encouraged by the performance so far.

PropJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:33 PM
  #186
Ryker
Registered User
 
Ryker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Triangle, NC, USA
Country: Slovenia
Posts: 2,886
vCash: 500
Is Newbury going to get suspended for that crap he pulled off on Tootoo? I don't see anything on NHL.com, so I'm thinking it's just wishful thinking. I was so glad to see Rosehill out of the lineup, and then the guy that replaces him tries to outdo him, ugh.

Oh, and with the way Emery is playing, I hope we're riding Mason and that he doesn't stumble. And I'm not even talking about the first goal, that was terrible, but in his first game, too, Emery looked like the slowest goalie on the roster of an NHL team (slight exaggeration possible).

Ryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:40 PM
  #187
flyersfan28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Is Newbury going to get suspended for that crap he pulled off on Tootoo? I don't see anything on NHL.com, so I'm thinking it's just wishful thinking. I was so glad to see Rosehill out of the lineup, and then the guy that replaces him tries to outdo him, ugh.

Oh, and with the way Emery is playing, I hope we're riding Mason and that he doesn't stumble. And I'm not even talking about the first goal, that was terrible, but in his first game, too, Emery looked like the slowest goalie on the roster of an NHL team (slight exaggeration possible).
what he just send a message for the next game
but i think next game rosehill replace newbury

flyersfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 09:02 PM
  #188
SuchySays
Registered User
 
SuchySays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poconos
Country: United States
Posts: 2,226
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Is Newbury going to get suspended for that crap he pulled off on Tootoo? I don't see anything on NHL.com, so I'm thinking it's just wishful thinking. I was so glad to see Rosehill out of the lineup, and then the guy that replaces him tries to outdo him, ugh.

i doubt it.

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.