HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should the Wild consider going after Vanek?

View Poll Results: Should we try and sign Vanek next year?
Yes, absolutely. We need him. 20 19.80%
Yes, it couldn't hurt. 51 50.50%
No, doesn't matter. 19 18.81%
No way, he wouldn't even fit in our lineup. 11 10.89%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-13-2013, 08:30 PM
tomthestone*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
I'm starting to like Spurgeon's game more and more. He's having a pretty good start to the season, IMO.
I fully realize I am too harsh on him, but I just don't get how they feel so comfortable with him as an everyday rearguard in the show. His offensive skills are decent and he moves the puck pretty well, but not enough to overcome his tiny frame.

They love him as a PP guy, but he is left in his own zip code at the top of the circle for a reason.

tomthestone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:35 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

vCash: 50
The Wild also have another buyout they could use to free up more cap space. Looking at the roster as it stands today, Scandella would be the most likely, IMO, although he may carry some value as a trade piece as well....Other candidates? Brodziak, maybe if he struggles this season?

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:35 PM
NHL1674
Whatever...

vCash: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
not to single you out but how does everybody plan on upgrading the defense? Who is out there that we really want to sign without overpaying?
Haven't figured that out yet. That said, I'd feel good with 3 top, reliable defensemen. We've got Suter and Brodin. Find the third guy, and follow him up with Ballard and Dumba. Beyond those guys, wouldn't really matter to me.

Whether it happens trade or FA, we just need to get a stronger backbone.

NHL1674 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
Stopping Pucks

I'm not too crazy about Vanek... would rather get a younger explosive goal scorer.

Stopping Pucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:37 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyMcCormick View Post
not to single you out but how does everybody plan on upgrading the defense? Who is out there that we really want to sign without overpaying?
There it is. Everyone is so worried about wasting Craig's money.

Vanek's true value is probably a little over what Pominville just took in ($28M/5-years I believe?) in a vacuum. So, would it really matter if he takes in $7M per year? That might seem like a heavy overpay...

But compare that to paying $3-4M for a stay-at-home guy who ends up disappointing. Someone like that ends up eating a three or more years of a roster spot that could have been filled by a youngster on a rookie deal or a cheap veteran? Hurts 10x more.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:38 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
The Wild also have another buyout they could use to free up more cap space. Looking at the roster as it stands today, Scandella would be the most likely, IMO, although he may carry some value as a trade piece as well....Other candidates? Brodziak, maybe if he struggles this season?
Backstrom. They should have used it the second they re-signed him

Old
10-13-2013, 08:42 PM
DANOZ28

if your smart you look at it as if it was YOUR money not craigs. spur is a good #5 utility D man but not a #3 or 4. vanek would take a kids roster spot, who do you tell see ya 2? you CANT keep everybody. was i right about hackett? YES!

DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:45 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomthestone View Post
I fully realize I am too harsh on him, but I just don't get how they feel so comfortable with him as an everyday rearguard in the show. His offensive skills are decent and he moves the puck pretty well, but not enough to overcome his tiny frame.

They love him as a PP guy, but he is left in his own zip code at the top of the circle for a reason.
I like Spurgeon's ability to skate the puck up the ice and he's also getting better at making that quick outlet pass. He's also showing me more when he joins the rush as well. He still panics at times and under pressure will sometimes make the wrong play, but he seems to be improving even in those areas.

Old
tomthestone*

Vanek would take Heatley's spot. And for BUF's trouble I would send them a package of a first rounder, and multiple pieces not including anyone on the current NHL roster. Getting that kind of a haul would obviously require Vanek to re-sign right meow -- and those kinds of arrangements happen all the time, another factor that isn't usually considered.

Old
BuddyMcCormick

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
if your smart you look at it as if it was YOUR money not craigs. spur is a good #5 utility D man but not a #3 or 4. vanek would take a kids roster spot, who do you tell see ya 2? you CANT keep everybody. was i right about hackett? YES!
Why does Vanek have to replace a kid? What did you say about Hackett?

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
I'm starting to like Spurgeon's game more and more. He's having a pretty good start to the season, IMO.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:46 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
I like Spurgeon's ability to skate the puck up the ice and he's also getting better at making that quick outlet pass. He's also showing me more when he joins the rush as well. He still panics at times and under pressure will sometimes make the wrong play, but he seems to be improving even in those areas.
How does he do on penalty kills and in front of the net? I feel like the powers that be often forget the road to a Western Conference title runs through guys like Toews, Hossa, Getzlaf, Backes, Thornton and Dustin Brown.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:50 PM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
How does he do on penalty kills and in front of the net? I feel like the powers that be often forget the road to a Western Conference title runs through guys like Toews, Hossa, Getzlaf and Dustin Brown.
Yep, that's not his game. That's what we have guys like Suter, Stoner and Ballard for. I also see Dumba being a physical presence in front as well.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:53 PM
J22

vCash: 814
3 days ago the talk on this board was all about how good the Wild would be if they could just put the puck in the net. Now that the discussion is about adding one of the best goal scorers in the NHL, all people can talk about is upgrading the D.

A defense that through 5 games ranks:
#1 in shots against
#7 in Goals allowed, #6 in GAA, #4 in even strength goals allowed. And has allowed 11 goals in 5 games with 2 coming during 5 on 3 and 1 on a penalty shot.

I would argue that adding a forward that would give you a great top 9 would be more beneficial than adding the type of dman that would be available. Look at Chicago, they dont have great dmen outside of their top pair, they just dont have to play much defense because they always have the puck

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:54 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
How does he do on penalty kills and in front of the net? I feel like the powers that be often forget the road to a Western Conference title runs through guys like Toews, Hossa, Getzlaf and Dustin Brown.
How is Erik Karlsson on PK or in front of the net? Exactly. What you don't seem to get is that Spurgeon role is to move the puck and provide offense, and that he does. He has a very good hockey IQ, he's very mobile and...

**** it. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and I'm tired of explaining why Spurgeon is a good player to have on our team to everyone who is apparently legally blind and can't see for themselves.

Just you wait and see. The fact that he made the NHL in first place was a tremendous achievement. He went through training camp, AHL until he finally got his chance in the NHL and never looked back. That kid's a winner. He's gotten it written all over him. And besides, it's not like he has even reached his full potential yet. 23 years old, tremendous hockey IQ, very good offensive tools and he can hit fairly well, especially for his size. And there's more to come.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:54 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
Yep, that's not his game. That's what we have guys like Suter, Stoner and Ballard for. I also see Dumba being a physical presence in front as well.
That's what I mean though. This is the show. It's tough to have a regular out there who regularly gets manhandled near the crease, especially in the big bad West. And then they put the guy out there on PK duty -- even down two men. The situations he's asked to handle make it obvious they think very highly of him. I know game tape isn't exactly the same as an FSN broadcast, but I doubt I'm missing something spectacular with 46 out there.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Exactly.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:55 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Just say no to paying a 1st, Zucker, plus for a UFA version of Vanek, especially if we have a good shot at getting him during FA.

Zucker may have a long way to go but his upside is still way too high and he has the opportunity to fill a need that NOBODY else on this team can fill.

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:56 PM
DANOZ28

i said no way does hackett re-sign with us to play a 4th season in the minors. i said he would ask 4 a trade or be traded. (edit or walk) guess what happened? many people laughed at me. if we sign vanek the same thing will happen with players like zucker. if we dont find a spot 4 him next year hes gone. why would he stay to play in the minors? simple.

Last edited by DANOZ28: 10-14-2013 at 09:28 AM.
DANOZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
How is Erik Karlsson on PK or in front of the net? Exactly. What you don't seem to get is that Spurgeon role is to move the puck and provide offense, and that he does. He has a very good hockey IQ, he's very mobile and...

**** it. I'm starting to sound like a broken record, and I'm tired of explaining why Spurgeon is a good player to have on our team to everyone who is apparently legally blind and can't see for themselves.

Just you wait and see. The fact that he made the NHL in first place was a tremendous achievement. He went through training camp, AHL until he finally got his chance in the NHL and never looked back. That kid's a winner. He's gotten it written all over him. And besides, it's not like he has even reached his full potential yet. 23 years old, tremendous hockey IQ, very good offensive tools and he can hit fairly well, especially for his size. And there's more to come.
Did you just mention your childhood friend (or brother, I hope?) Jared Spurgeon in the same sentence as Erik Karlsson? Hold on a second while I fill out my Preposterous Statement Tournament bracket.

Old
10-13-2013, 08:57 PM
J22

vCash: 814
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANOZ28 View Post
if your smart you look at it as if it was YOUR money not craigs. spur is a good #5 utility D man but not a #3 or 4. vanek would take a kids roster spot, who do you tell see ya 2? you CANT keep everybody. was i right about hackett?YES!
I have no idea what you said about Hackett, but my instincts tell me the answer is no.

J22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:58 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Did you just mention your childhood friend (or brother, I hope?) Jared Spurgeon in the same sentence as Erik Karlsson? Hold on a second while I fill out my Preposterous Statement Tournament bracket.
Yeah, I'll just add you to my "Completely missing my point" -list.

Old
10-13-2013, 09:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

No need for Spurgeon tangent in a Vanek thread...

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
No need for Spurgeon tangent in a Vanek thread...
Tell that to the grumpy one.

Old
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
tomthestone*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puhis View Post
Yeah, I'll just add you to my "Completely missing my point" -list.
Go ahead. Any point of yours that puts Jared Spurgeon in the same caliber as former Norris Trophy winner Erik Karlsson in any gradable hockey skill is not one I want to get.

I see what he does out there. I get what Spurgeon is supposed to excel at and what "isn't his game." Any neutral observer will tell you that his puck moving abilities are plus and that he has a good hockey IQ and offensive instincts, but is severely limited by his tiny frame. Nothing to be ashamed of, like you said, his presence on an NHL roster is beyond impressive.

But the kid gets tossed and his guy always gets a crack at the loose change following initial saves. My body hurts watching him get thrown around in the corners, which is an area every defender has to enter no matter what they do or do not do well. And don't even get me started on his "shot" from the point.