HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Fire AV, Fire Sather. This is a bad hockey team.

Closed Thread

Old
10-13-2013, 01:03 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
And what are the Rangers under AV supposed to be?
Is there a Rangers blog which telestrates and breaks down Ranger plays?
Man on Man.

Old
10-13-2013, 06:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
Man on Man.
For anyone looking for a breakdown of AVs system:
http://www.blueseatblogs.com/2013/10...r-the-rangers/

Old
10-13-2013, 07:10 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

If Sather fires AV early in the year, he'll look like an absolute fool.

Old
10-13-2013, 07:29 PM
Pastafazul*

when i watched my first preseason game with AV and i saw girardi at the point on the PP, i was like, lol, another knucklehead. How does one not see that girardi is not a quick minded player, he's that hardheaded player who can take hit after hit. like the rockem sockem robot, who keeps gettin pummeled with nothin much of anything else to do

Old
10-13-2013, 07:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
If Sather fires AV early in the year, he'll look like an absolute fool.
Yeah, I said the same thing with Trottier. 11 years ago.

10-13-2013, 07:34 PM
Synergy27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
Jesus H. Christ, Trottier was 11 years ago already? These streaks of mediocrity sure do get real long, real fast.

Old
10-13-2013, 09:28 PM
petey

yeah guys sorry about the post last nite that's what happens when you watch a ranger game when biron starts with to many beers.But I will still watch every game I can so I got no one to blame but myself for the self loathing being a ranger fan . lets all hope they turn it around

Old
10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doakes View Post
Point is the a Rangers just needed Torts to lighten up, or find a coach who offered the structure Torts has with a less inflexible negative personality.
Any coach can do that. In fact any player is aware of that "system" it is called Play-it-Simple. That is what they did in LA, that is what AV will do in absence of goaltending.
That is what any East theam has to do going West, BTW. Just see how OTT (puck possession team) was demolished by ANA tonight.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Raspewtin
MayDeathNeverStopYou

I'm not at all concerned about this team losing a spot in October because the Metro division on a whole has just been so bad no team scares me, Pitts will keep their #1 spot, and the rest is a toss up right now.

Also, the thing I really want to know is why AV insists on playing his bottom 6 to death. Boyle and Pyatt, should never, EVER, see more than 12 minutes a game (taking PK into consideration). Yet Boyle is playing like 15 minutes a night. Hopefully Pyatt can take a ****ing seat as soon as Hagelin is okay. I'd like to keep Fast up, he has been improving in each game, but dear lord he needs to be put with people that are not offensive black holes. AV also needs to learn to call a ****ing time out to calm his team down when he must.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:36 PM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Firing coaches early might look terrible in a pr sense, but realizing a mistake was made and changing it early is something to be admired. Look at Johnny Mac's tenure with the Devils. Their season could've been much better if Lou didn't feel obligated to let him run out the string.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingshotVv View Post
Firing coaches early might look terrible in a pr sense, but realizing a mistake was made and changing it early is something to be admired. Look at Johnny Mac's tenure with the Devils. Their season could've been much better if Lou didn't feel obligated to let him run out the string.
I think sometime around the 15-20 game mark, if things are what they are, and continue to be, then Rangers have no choice other than to fire members of the coaching staff. The Devils went to the finals one season after firing Johnny Mac, and it's not like that roster had a night and day difference. The right coach at the right time can make all the difference.

With that said, AV seems like a smart man, it's unfortunate that he didn't scout his players before coaching them because it clearly looks like he's learning lessons on what guys can't and can do by losing games now, rather than being prepared in knowing what he was walking into.

Old
10-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Aufheben
Crick Nash

vCash: 130
I for one would be pretty embarrassed if AV was fired this early.

Old
10-14-2013, 07:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Bryan Trottier was a first year head coach. He was a head coach for one season in the AHL. The rest of his experience was as an assistant coach. Sather hires and fires Trottier. The Rangers still sucked. Sather went behind the bench. The team was still terrible. It wasn't a coaching issue. It was a Sather issue. Gorton and Clark weren't in the organization either. You guys can't blame them. It all revolves around Sather. Everything. Sather has been here since June 2000.

John MacLean was also a first year head coach. He had one season in the AHL as head coach. Parise barely played that season. In the games Parise played,he was hobbled by the knee injury. There was no Henrique. Same personnel?

Sather wants to play an up tempo game. He said that was a reason why Tortorella was fired. One of the reasons. They have personnel suited to play stone age hockey. The personnel needs to change but Sather isn't up to the task. He is 70 years old. His mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. The Rangers need wholesale personnel changes. Its time for Glen to retire. Nothing will change as long as Slats is involved.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:46 AM
NYR Viper

What I find the most funny, is that AV's system is based on players having higher hockey IQ's. Sather, Gorton and Clarke have been drafting based on physical tools for a while now. McIlrath, Kreider, Miller, Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty, Yogan, etc.

I am not saying these kids are all dumb, but the mandate seems to have been based on physical gifts moreso than grabbing players who think the game at an elite level. Stepan is a good example of the latter.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:50 AM
Mikos87

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
What I find the most funny, is that AV's system is based on players having higher hockey IQ's. Sather, Gorton and Clarke have been drafting based on physical tools for a while now. McIlrath, Kreider, Miller, Skjei, Nieves, Fogarty, Yogan, etc.

I am not saying these kids are all dumb, but the mandate seems to have been based on physical gifts moreso than grabbing players who think the game at an elite level. Stepan is a good example of the latter.
Head and the hands to go along with skating ability is what AV's system needs. Dearth of that is right.

Old
10-14-2013, 09:05 AM
Affinity

Quote:
True. But you have to make the playoffs to win the Cup and you can lose a playoff spot in October.
Take a look around the Metro division. The only team who is pretty much a lock for the playoffs is the Penguins. We're not losing a spot in October.

Old
10-14-2013, 09:51 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I don't care, call the kids up. If they're going to be in the lineup next year, give them some experience this year. btw. Them being in the lineup either later this season or next year, won't eliminate rookie mistakes.

Hagelin--Stepan--Nash
Kreider--Brassard--Callahan
Richards--Miller--Fast
Pouliot--Moore--Haley

Old
10-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Take a look around the Metro division. The only team who is pretty much a lock for the playoffs is the Penguins. We're not losing a spot in October.
How are teams making the playoffs in this new scheme? I forget.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:00 AM
segmentation fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowtron View Post
How are teams making the playoffs in this new scheme? I forget.
Top 3 of each division, 2 wildcards in each conference.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by segmentation fault View Post
Top 3 of each division, 2 wildcards in each conference.
I'll get a handle on this. Eventually lol

Old
10-14-2013, 10:33 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I don't care, call the kids up. If they're going to be in the lineup next year, give them some experience this year. btw. Them being in the lineup either later this season or next year, won't eliminate rookie mistakes.

Hagelin--Stepan--Nash
Kreider--Brassard--Callahan
Richards--Miller--Fast
Pouliot--Moore--Haley
Nah they have to let the kids dominate the AHL. Next yr they are going to have Boyle, Pyatt, Moore, Asham , Pouliott all UFA so they are likely gone. Maybe Moore stays on the cheap.

Hagelin, Stepan, Nash, Brassard , Callahan, Dorsett will all be back. I pray since I will cry if Cally is not for some strange reason.

Ricahrds is bought out for sure regardless how well he's doing now. Just cap reality

Kreider, Lindberg, Fast, Miller and some others all have legit shots at being on the team full time if not this yr then next.

I assume they will trade some of those UFA bodies mentioned and get back picks or and/or another body that will be under contract for next yr.

Team could change a lot of this continues.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:52 AM
kennglin13

Just some food for thought. If Lundqvist left bc he stated the roster was awful. Would that be what finally convinced Dolan to fire Sather? I'm not saying I want that to happen but it seems like that is how extreme it would have to get.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:33 PM
Wamsutta
I'm Glen Sather IRL

Now more than ever it's apparent Sather has to go for the Rangers to ever enjoy success. The problems aren't on Biron, they aren't on Boyle, Asham, Hank, Nash, Richards, anyone. The team isn't constructed appropriately and any waivers/trades/call-ups are shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic until at least a partial rebuild is accomplished, and Glen Sather simply cannot be the man in charge of doing so. The best we can hope for until then is that the kids aren't traded away and they get some minutes and keep on improving.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:35 PM
showjaxx

vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Bryan Trottier was a first year head coach. He was a head coach for one season in the AHL. The rest of his experience was as an assistant coach. Sather hires and fires Trottier. The Rangers still sucked. Sather went behind the bench. The team was still terrible. It wasn't a coaching issue. It was a Sather issue. Gorton and Clark weren't in the organization either. You guys can't blame them. It all revolves around Sather. Everything. Sather has been here since June 2000.

Sather wants to play an up tempo game. He said that was a reason why Tortorella was fired. One of the reasons. They have personnel suited to play stone age hockey. The personnel needs to change but Sather isn't up to the task. He is 70 years old. His mind isn't as sharp as it used to be. The Rangers need wholesale personnel changes. Its time for Glen to retire. Nothing will change as long as Slats is involved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post

Other teams use the draft to add skill to their lineup. They build their top lines/d-pairings through the draft, and fill in their 3rd/4th lines/bottom d-pairings through free agency.

The Rangers use the draft to add grinders to their lineup. They build their 3rd/4th lines through the draft, and have been attempting to use free agency to add skill to their lineup for what seems like an eternity.

Not sure how much of the drafting strategy had to do with Torts' system, but the lack of skill/hockey IQ on this team is very apparent.

Old
10-14-2013, 03:47 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMollyOxenFree View Post

Other teams use the draft to add skill to their lineup. They build their top lines/d-pairings through the draft, and fill in their 3rd/4th lines/bottom d-pairings through free agency.

The Rangers use the draft to add grinders to their lineup. They build their 3rd/4th lines through the draft, and have been attempting to use free agency to add skill to their lineup for what seems like an eternity.

Not sure how much of the drafting strategy had to do with Torts' system, but the lack of skill/hockey IQ on this team is very apparent.
Where are these 3rd/4th liners you speak of? What you seem to referring to is 2nd/3rd line tweeners that unceremoniously get pushed down to the bottom 6 because they can't score enough to stay in the top 6. It doesn't mean they have the specific skills needed to play on the 3rd/4th lines.

Truth be told, the situation is even more dire than you suggested. I WISH this team could develop 3rd/4th liners.

Closed Thread