HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

The Hockey Noob Chronicles II (Beginners' Thread)

Old
10-10-2013, 02:49 PM
Requin
Lurkedylurk

vCash: 500
Heyo, quick n00b question: What's the deal with colored stick tape? Why is colored blade tape such a no-no? And is colored grip tape equally silly?

I'm not trying to be special snowflake, I just like colors...

Requin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 03:05 PM
duul

vCash: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post
Heyo, quick n00b question: What's the deal with colored stick tape? Why is colored blade tape such a no-no? And is colored grip tape equally silly?

It's silly. There's a reason you only see good players using white/black.

duul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-10-2013, 05:39 PM
nycpunk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requin View Post

Blade tape actually makes sense to be traditional-- white tape can blend in with the ice, black tape with the puck. Colored blade tape stands out against both and helps the other team see what you're doing.

I've been around the block enough to know that a lot of hockey "do's and don'ts" are complete and utter bro-dude B.S. Bottom line-- real men don't give a *******. You really, really like blue? Pick up some azure tape and knock yourself out. Anyone who chirps is either kidding, or else they're a sophomoric idiot not worth your time.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 02:04 AM
PGCougar
almostcanadian

That reminds me of a question that I have about stick tape. Why do players who tape the shaft with coloured tape always have one white stripe at the bottom?
This picture should show what I mean.

PGCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:37 PM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Quote:
Originally Posted by duul View Post
It's silly. There's a reason you only see good players using white/black.
I've used all sorts of colors, the one thing I've noticed is the white lasted longer than anything else. Not sure if it's the brand or what, it just looks really good for up to two weeks.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-11-2013, 08:54 PM
blueNwhite89

Been skating only sporadically ever since I did learn to skate as a child, and always in secondhand lower-end skates.. Got pretty good at forward strides and right crossovers but that's about it

Just turned 20 and I picked up a pair of Vapor x 3.0s on impulse as a treat. Boy, what a difference these make! Finally nailed down the hockey stop in only my 2nd time using them. I've been trying to learn this for years!

Looking forward to public skate twice a week now. Going to go back to the drawing board with snowplow stops and work towards getting my weak side hockey stop going. Also going to work on my left crossover and getting more comfortable going backwards.

Goal is to be playing organized hockey sometime next year. Can't wait.

blueNwhite89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 02:28 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
Blade tape actually makes sense to be traditional-- white tape can blend in with the ice, black tape with the puck. Colored blade tape stands out against both and helps the other team see what you're doing.

I've been around the block enough to know that a lot of hockey "do's and don'ts" are complete and utter bro-dude B.S. Bottom line-- real men don't give a *******. You really, really like blue? Pick up some azure tape and knock yourself out. Anyone who chirps is either kidding, or else they're a sophomoric idiot not worth your time.
Yeah, what I've heard is that traditionally, white tape is for defensemen to mess with forwards trying to make passes (as you said, the stick blends in with the ice) and black tape is for forwards, to hide the puck on the stick to trick goalies. I doubt it really makes that much difference, much like goalies getting white pads.

Coloured tape might get you a couple good-natured jokes, but I doubt anyone is seriously going to have a fit over it. And if they do, you're getting them off their game! Keep it up!

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 11:00 PM
TPaine

Realized earlier today that open skates are starting again at my college this weekend, which means that nighttime outdoor pickup hockey season is just around the corner! Can't wait to go warm up at an open skate or two and work on finally getting my slap shot down this winter.

TPaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:52 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelownaRocketsFan View Post
That reminds me of a question that I have about stick tape. Why do players who tape the shaft with coloured tape always have one white stripe at the bottom?
This picture should show what I mean.
if you're talking about the cohesive gauze tape, the reason they put a strip of regular tape at the bottom is so the tape doesn't unravel or roll up.

thedonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 02:14 PM
thevil
Lets go Aves?

Just played my first game! We lost, badly, (4-0) but I felt for my first game I played pretty well. Got a couple big hits, caused a couple turnovers, and it was just as fun as I expected. At one point, I pushed their captain into the boards, not a check just pinned him there, and he thought it should have been boarding so once I moved, he turned and slashed my helmet. He got a penalty (obviously) and looking back on it it's actually kind of funny

thevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 09:41 AM
bahn

Well. Weekly embarrassment report time again. This week so far was about my worst week. While my stopping and turning and crossovering is fine, hell even starting to get decent, this sunday we were pretty much supposed to work on edges and stopping. Well... We did that... somewhat briefly.... left foot stops, right foot stops etc... so after about 20 minutes of that, apparently it was time to start backwards skating.

wut?

Uhm. so yeah. I don't believe I've ever used those particular muscles. Maybe when I was in the army carting around 140 pounds of gear.. but uhm... that was like twelve years ago. Fortunately this week, I've managed to transcend any remnants of pride that I might have left, and wore hockey pants... good thing too, I think I lost count on how many times I fell. So balancing going backwards, not so good. pushing backwards? uhm..... I don't really move. I kinda get what I'm supposed to be doing, and which edges to push and glide with, but I think I might be overthinking it, and my butt and thigh muscles are pathetic and out of shape.

I'm thinking squats and lunges are my horrible future.

bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 11:48 AM
mistrhanky

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahn View Post
Well. Weekly embarrassment report time again. This week so far was about my worst week. While my stopping and turning and crossovering is fine, hell even starting to get decent, this sunday we were pretty much supposed to work on edges and stopping. Well... We did that... somewhat briefly.... left foot stops, right foot stops etc... so after about 20 minutes of that, apparently it was time to start backwards skating.

wut?

Uhm. so yeah. I don't believe I've ever used those particular muscles. Maybe when I was in the army carting around 140 pounds of gear.. but uhm... that was like twelve years ago. Fortunately this week, I've managed to transcend any remnants of pride that I might have left, and wore hockey pants... good thing too, I think I lost count on how many times I fell. So balancing going backwards, not so good. pushing backwards? uhm..... I don't really move. I kinda get what I'm supposed to be doing, and which edges to push and glide with, but I think I might be overthinking it, and my butt and thigh muscles are pathetic and out of shape.

I'm thinking squats and lunges are my horrible future.
I know when I learned that it took me a long time because I kept trying to work into backwards skating and not let it come to me. Start with a simple drift backwards. Sit down in your stance a little bit and bend your knees like you are sitting on a chair. Make sure your blades are pointed toe in and have some angle to them -- you do not want to be straight up and down on the edges. You want to be on the inside edge making a v shape with your toes. If you do this correctly, you will naturally just drift backwards. Do this until it comes easily and remember to keep your head up and your weight back a bit -- leaning forward will work against you.

Once you can do that, start doing swizzles. Swizzles are basically just moving your feet in and out of the v shape from toe to heel. Toes pointed in, drift your feet out, then point your heels together to close back in. Keep doing this until you can go the length of the ice. Next add some cutting to it. Drive your feet out and in a bit to increase your speed.

Once you have that, you want to work on C cuts. Basically, the same motion except alternating legs. You want to really get that foot almost lateral in front of you so you can push/drive off of it, then bring it back in to center and repeat with the oppposite foot. The trick here is not to push really wide, but to get a good drive off that foot, let that drive foot extend a bit in front of you, and bring it in nice and tight. One leg at a time. For the glide foot, remember that you really need to be on the outside edge a bit -- not the inside. Your weight should be riding on the outside edge. It also helps to turn your arms and core a bit to that outside edge as if you were holding a stick to that side. Work it slowly at first. Going backward with one leg around faceoff circles is a good way to work on it.

Once you get comfortable with it, you will be amazed you ever found it so tough. Work it in gradually though. If you have not used those muscles in a long time, and most people have not, then it is REALLY easy to overdo it and strain your iband. That was a huge setback for me. Don't push to much in the early stages.

Hope this helps.

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2013, 12:46 PM
mistrhanky

So my team was in a playoff game last night. We were playing a lower ranked team but they gave us a hell of a fight. We went up 1 in the second and gave up a flukey one that popped really high and landed behind the goalie to make it 1-1 in the third. Played OT but not score. Finally won in the seventh round of a shootout. Holy crap... I am still buzzing from that game.

Old
10-18-2013, 05:02 PM
bahn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
Next add some cutting to it. Drive your feet out and in a bit to increase your speed.

Hope this helps.
It does help, thanks. Though not quite sure what you mean by adding cutting.. adding c cuts or just driving a bit harder into the ice?

Yeah.. not used to completely being inept at something.

bahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-21-2013, 02:50 PM
mistrhanky

yes, at that stage, I was referring to digging into the ice. Instead of just gliding through it, dig in with the edges a bit to propel yourself.

I should have also added, when you get to that c-cut stage, you want to start getting your hips involved a bit too. Get that butt moving side to side the way you see other players do. You want to move in rhythm with each step... it is a more natural flow to your stride.

Old
10-21-2013, 09:11 PM
shinchanyo

I played goalie Thursday night for the first time in a month and a half. Did pretty well. Shutout the skaters on a couple of drills but not all. When I get tired though I snowball. We started a half ice game. I stopped like 7 of my first 8. Got tired and gave up something like 7 shots in a row lol. Five hole gets so wide you can drive a Mack truck through it. Can't figure out how to butterfly. I loosen my leg pads a lot but they still just go face down into the ice. I think I'm going to start going down to one knee instead of trying for both.

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:13 AM
Malarowski

Heartbreaking 1-2 loss in a SO yesterday after keeping a significantly better team at bay for 59:32 mins. Was an amazing game though, so much more fun than those 10-8 chaos games we usually play. Gives me a lot of hope for the season and beyond. Got a good group of guys, now I just need to step it up and stop flubbing stuff.

Malarowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinchanyo View Post
I played goalie Thursday night for the first time in a month and a half. Did pretty well. Shutout the skaters on a couple of drills but not all. When I get tired though I snowball. We started a half ice game. I stopped like 7 of my first 8. Got tired and gave up something like 7 shots in a row lol. Five hole gets so wide you can drive a Mack truck through it. Can't figure out how to butterfly. I loosen my leg pads a lot but they still just go face down into the ice. I think I'm going to start going down to one knee instead of trying for both.
You'll want to sort out equipment problems if the pads aren't rotating - I suggest having everything as loose as possible and then gradually tightening up the pads from there.

1) Make sure you have enough slack in your toeties. Ideally 1" to 1.5". I would also be so crazy to suggest NOT trying your toe ties to your skates. Obviously don't do this in a game. Without the proper toetie slack it will pull the pads flat to the ice instead of rotating and also put strain in your knees.
2) Straps: I like to strap the boot strap through the heel of my skate - again make sure this is fairly loose.
3) 3 calf straps - again loose to start with. You don't want anything impeding the rotation.
4) Velcro behind knee - eh, fairly snug
5) Two strap buckles at the top of the pad - lol - so loose they don't do anything.

I was convinced that I wouldn't be able to butterfly when I started because my pads weren't rotating. I found that by starting everything really loose I could butterly. Gradually I dialed my pads into a better 'fit'.

That said if the pads are the wrong size, they might never rotate properly. I have a pair of warrior swaggers that I bought new that would sometimes rotate, but after using them for a year I went back to my reebook kohos.

Also don't worry about having a wide butterfly.

Last edited by ganave: 10-22-2013 at 11:38 AM.
ganave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 12:39 AM
ganave

Won my 4x4 game 12-3 on Monday and my D game 6(?) - 1 on Tuesday. Clinic on monday ended with 10 minutes of playing SOCCER on ICE which is awesome. Goalies & coaches vs skaters. Skaters won 3-2, but man it was awesome.

Old
10-24-2013, 03:31 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
Won my 4x4 game 12-3 on Monday and my D game 6(?) - 1 on Tuesday. Clinic on monday ended with 10 minutes of playing SOCCER on ICE which is awesome. Goalies & coaches vs skaters. Skaters won 3-2, but man it was awesome.
interesting - assume in skates. Were you using a ball or a puck?

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 04:35 PM
ganave

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
interesting - assume in skates. Were you using a ball or a puck?
In skates, full gear, with a real soccer ball.

Old
10-24-2013, 07:40 PM
windycity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganave View Post
In skates, full gear, with a real soccer ball.
ok that's weird but sounds fun. I've done drills where we kick a puck around to get used to using our feet to control the puck but never heard of that.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 08:06 PM
JPGoHabsGo

So im trying to learn to skate. I have a few very noob questions.

1) when I lace them up, they feel tight around my ankle, I tie them stand up and their too loose. Why? and is there a way to make sure their tight? I know it sounds easy I just cant seem to do it. Do I need to lace up the skates with them on the floor Im assuming

2) Stopping. The instructor is trying to teach us to stop with both feet going out sideways. It looks kinda silly, but i practice making snow with my blades one foot at a time against the boards, once i start moving, I cant do it. Any tips?

JPGoHabsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-24-2013, 11:22 PM
JoeCool16

Quote:
1) when I lace them up, they feel tight around my ankle, I tie them stand up and their too loose. Why? and is there a way to make sure their tight? I know it sounds easy I just cant seem to do it. Do I need to lace up the skates with them on the floor Im assuming
I don't know how you're tying or what feels good or not, but I'd recommend getting wax laces if you own your own skates and aren't renting. They keep the skates much snugger and once you find your comfortable level of tightness, it's easy to get back to it.
Quote:
2) Stopping. The instructor is trying to teach us to stop with both feet going out sideways. It looks kinda silly, but i practice making snow with my blades one foot at a time against the boards, once i start moving, I cant do it. Any tips?
Youtube a video on beginner's stopping, they'll all say pretty much the same thing.

Once you've really got it down on one side (rather than the two-foot snowplow), you'll be able to bring your gliding foot into play as well, turning it into a true hockey stop. Learn how to do this first though, then ask your instructor/search out a video for how to stop on your outside edge (which is what you'll be stopping on on the other foot).

JoeCool16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-25-2013, 03:40 AM
AntsSheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPGoHabsGo View Post
I tie mine sitting down, pulled so they are not flopping around, just barely snug. Then I walk around, rock over on my edges or skate a couple of laps then pull them properly snug but not tight. This works for me, as I've had issues with skates being too tight.

AntsSheffield is online now   Reply With Quote