HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

shooting with the wrong hand

Old
10-12-2013, 06:18 PM
rh71

vCash: 500
shooting with the wrong hand

One of my 5 year old sons writes and throws with his right arm but shoots and bats lefty. I am still not sure this is really the way I want him to develop (he's only starting hockey and has a weak shot regardless).

Why does it work for opposite-handed people in hockey if their stronger arm/hand is at the top, rather than the bottom (mid-shaft) where they can flex the stick harder?

One of the biggest examples of this is Ovechkin who writes and throws lefty, yet he has a hard wrister as a righty (I know flex and blade curve help). And I bet majority of left-shooting players in the NHL are right-hand dominant. You'd think, just because it feels more natural doesn't mean it is their optimal shot. Maybe it is good for stick handling since that is top-hand driven?

Last edited by rh71: 10-12-2013 at 06:25 PM.
rh71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 06:58 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

I'm a weird person, I write with my left hand but do everything else (throwing, cricket, golf etc.) right handed

When I started hockey I first had a right-handed stick because I played field hockey right handed and it felt fine. Then I started playing in goal (as a left handed goalie) because it felt weird holding the stick in my left hand as goalie. Then I picked up a left handed player stick and that felt fine too

So now I can pick and choose which handedness to play, I'm equally as bad with both

Let your son play whichever way feels more comfortable, in my opinion there's no "right" way to hold the stick. When a kid first picks up the stick they will automatically hold it the way that feels most natural to them

Propane Nightmares is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:17 PM
nycpunk1

Power isn't really a function of your dominant hand vs "off" hand. Baseball players don't throw righty because they have massive right arms. The complex motor functions needed to easily throw the baseball are easier to manage with your dominant hand.

If you think about it that way, it doesn't really make sense to shoot with your dominant hand on the bottom. The bottom hand supplies the power, which your off hand can do just as well. Not only that, but it's a minor detail anyway-- most of the power in a shot is going to come from your legs and your core. The top hand supplies control, both in stickhandling and in shots. This actually WOULD benefit from your dominant hand.

It's kind of interesting. I shoot righty, which is counter-intuitive because I throw and bat righty. But THOSE are counter-intuitive because I write lefty. PLUS, shooting righty makes sense because I snowboard regular foot (left foot forward).

So here's the final breakdown-- the least optimal thing is to try to force your son into an unnatural handedness. Let him shoot how he feels is natural and "right", not what you think makes sense.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
Power isn't really a function of your dominant hand vs "off" hand. Baseball players don't throw righty because they have massive right arms. The complex motor functions needed to easily throw the baseball are easier to manage with your dominant hand.

If you think about it that way, it doesn't really make sense to shoot with your dominant hand on the bottom. The bottom hand supplies the power, which your off hand can do just as well. Not only that, but it's a minor detail anyway-- most of the power in a shot is going to come from your legs and your core. The top hand supplies control, both in stickhandling and in shots. This actually WOULD benefit from your dominant hand.

It's kind of interesting. I shoot righty, which is counter-intuitive because I throw and bat righty. But THOSE are counter-intuitive because I write lefty. PLUS, shooting righty makes sense because I snowboard regular foot (left foot forward).

So here's the final breakdown-- the least optimal thing is to try to force your son into an unnatural handedness. Let him shoot how he feels is natural and "right", not what you think makes sense.
The snowboarding thing is interesting, I've never thought about that before, I assume it would be the same for skateboarding if you are someone who has never done snowboarding

I was a weird skateboarder too, my stance was regular but I pushed mongo (with front foot) which was my left foot, despite being a right footed kicker

Old
10-12-2013, 09:05 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
One of my 5 year old sons writes and throws with his right arm but shoots and bats lefty. I am still not sure this is really the way I want him to develop (he's only starting hockey and has a weak shot regardless).

Why does it work for opposite-handed people in hockey if their stronger arm/hand is at the top, rather than the bottom (mid-shaft) where they can flex the stick harder?

One of the biggest examples of this is Ovechkin who writes and throws lefty, yet he has a hard wrister as a righty (I know flex and blade curve help). And I bet majority of left-shooting players in the NHL are right-hand dominant. You'd think, just because it feels more natural doesn't mean it is their optimal shot. Maybe it is good for stick handling since that is top-hand driven?

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Caeldan

vCash: 732
I'm still convinced that people choose shooting sides based on dominant eye vs dominant hand...

Though if you go by hand theory - really you should want your dominant hand on top for control of the stick when one-handed.

Caeldan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 01:08 AM
Terry Yake

it's really all about whichever side he prefers and even at a very young age, the preference is there

having your dominant hand on top of the stick is usually how most people learn to shoot anyways. i don't know many people who shoot left-handed and are actually leftys

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:30 AM
Sureshotte
Thumbs up, soldier!

Put a broom in their hand and tell them to sweep the floor. Whichever hand they they naturally put at the top of the handle and side that they sweep on, they should probably stick with and apply to hockey.

I personally had massive doubts about my ability to play lefty, being right handed/footed in everything else. But after trying it out I definitely find it much more comfortable than shooting right. Being able to stickhandle with your dominant hand is a godsend, and you can always increase the strength in your left arm to improve shot power.

Sureshotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 09:28 AM
roaddogg02316

I am right handed. I write, throw, bat,golf with my right hand. But when it comes to hockey I go lefty. Just more comfortable for me.

roaddogg02316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 03:31 PM
nhindian

I am lefty in everything.

Throw, write, left hand on bottom for hockey, heck I even snowboard and skateboard goofy-footed.

nhindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 06:08 PM
SpringfieldSkins

I tried shooting with my wrong hand once, I fell down.

Seriously though, it's all about personally preference and what comes most natural. What I wouldn't do is force him to do something that doesn't come natural, that would just frustrate him and discourage him from playing the sport.

I'm right handed but shoot left. That's the way that most Canadian and European players play. Most Americans that are right handed shoot right. It's strange but statistics support it.

I prefer having my "control" hand at the top of the stick for best control. Shooting means nothing if you can't handle the puck.

SpringfieldSkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 08:09 PM
TimtheDJ84

vCash: 560
I write and throw right handed, bat,shoot,kick,golf left. That said, I have been forced to golf righty,drove it 250yards but had ZERO control. Lol, and I'm American.

TimtheDJ84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-13-2013, 11:43 PM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Maybe it is good for stick handling since that is top-hand driven?
Yep. Your best bet at stickhandling skill is having your dominant hand on top. Pushing through the shot with your bottom hand is only a part of where you get power from. Core power and the top hand pulling back on the shot are just as important. I doubt having your stronger arm on either side makes much of a difference.

Your top hand will almost always be on your stick. Might as well have your better hand on top.

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:45 AM
Terry Yake

is it just me or do most younger players today shoot righty compared to older generations? despite the fact that most people are right handed. i grew up assuming that if you're right handed then you're supposed to shoot lefty.

i watched a friend of mine's son play this weekend (14-16 year olds) and out of both teams there were only 2 lefties that i counted.

Terry Yake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:02 AM
Jisatsu

I wish I shot left handed, so many clearance sticks available for dirt cheap in LH. I'm a lefty with most things, but I prefer my dominant hand on the top of the stick. Don't have a problem with shots or stickhandling.

I think a lot of adults learning to play assume they are supposed to shoot right handed, hence why many don't seem to develop a good shot or stick handling technique. Same with tall sticks. I see too many guys who can't shoot or stick handle with a stick that is too tall for them.

Anyways, I was taught that the hand you pick your stick up with is your top hand. Works for me.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:55 AM
Fanned On It

A right-handed person shooting lefty is actually the "right" way to do it. As others have said, your dominant hand should be at the top of the stick because the hand at the top is what is controlling all of the movements you make with your stick. The bottom hand is really just there for leverage, not really anything that requires dexterity. Think about how little the bottom hand moves when stick-handling, shooting, or doing anything else with your stick. All it does is grip and slide up and down ( ) the shaft ( ) while the top hand does all of the complex work. Having your dominant hand at the bottom of the stick is not going to give you any more power.

I'd say let your kid do it the right way... it'll probably pay off.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 08:14 AM
Ozz

Righty here and I've always shot righty. I never felt like anything was wrong, weak, lacking, etc. with my non-dominant hand on top. I've got a bomb shot but I wonder what it'd be like if I'd learned to shoot lefty as a kid.

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 08:18 AM
LarryO

How do you guys explain Ovechkin who writes right-handed and plays right-handed? How do you explain Raphael Nadal who writes right-handed and started playing tennis right-handed until his coach made him learn to play lefty at a young age to give him an advantage over his opponents? How do you explain all these guitar and violin virtuoso who are right handed but all use their left hands for fretting, which requires most of the dexterity and precision? I think the answer is simple. You can make any hand the "dominant" one for a particular task through PRACTICE. If you suck playing wrong-handed, it's not because you're playing the wrong hand; you would probably suck as hard playing the "proper" hand. Stop looking for excuses or short-cuts. Pick a hand and PRACTICE the hell out of it.

Last edited by LarryO: 10-14-2013 at 08:24 AM.
LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 12:03 PM
nycpunk1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
How do you guys explain Ovechkin who writes right-handed and plays right-handed? How do you explain Raphael Nadal who writes right-handed and started playing tennis right-handed until his coach made him learn to play lefty at a young age to give him an advantage over his opponents? How do you explain all these guitar and violin virtuoso who are right handed but all use their left hands for fretting, which requires most of the dexterity and precision? I think the answer is simple.
The answer is simple: anecdotes are not data. A claim that X is the most probable outcome is not debunked by instances in which the outcome was not X.

Guitar/violin is definitely an interesting example, I'll give you that.

nycpunk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Propane Nightmares
Only Entertainment

It's all about comfort, when a kid picks up a pen/pencil/crayon for the first time they will use the hand that feels more natural, for some reason that happens to be the right hand for a majority of people. I think trying to decipher which is the "right" way to hold a hockey stick based on which hand is dominant is over-thinking things too much. Let the kid pick up a stick and see which way they automatically hold it.

And I agree it's just all about practice. In the past it was considered weird to write with your left hand and kids were literally forced to use the right hand, they got used to it and grew up to be probably just as good writing with that hand than they would have been with the other. Rugby player Jonny Wilkinson is left footed but he practiced kicking with his right foot enough so that he would be able to use it in certain situations to make a good kick, and he scored a world-cup winning kick with that foot.

Old
10-14-2013, 01:24 PM
leeaf83

Send a message via ICQ to leeaf83 Send a message via Yahoo to leeaf83
Re: Ovechkin. Okay obviously someone posted a pic of him writing with his right hand. He was in a chocolate bar commercial which showed him throwing a football to himself, he did throw with his left hand.

I've studied the issue of brain hemispheres and and at the risk of sounding pretentious I can pretty much put this thread to bed;

-not everyone performs all tasks with the same hand. Everyone has a dominant hand and dominant arm and these are not always on the same side. Another example is NFL quarterback Michael Vick who writes with his right hand but throws with his left. Examples of cross dominant actors include Jason Bateman, Tim Allen, and Ed O' Neil
-more often than not people shoot with their dominant hand on top. Two examples where it's a disadvantage to shoot on the dominant side (ie. throw and shoot right handed) are for defensemen and goalies; when skating with one hand on the stick, players hold it in the top hand so a right shooting defenseman would have to hold it in his left hand. In the case of goaltenders, they'd be forced to flip the stick over and shoot on the back hand if they shoot on their stronger side. Jose Theodore, Dwayne Roloson, and Curtis Joseph are examples.
-it is common for people to shoot on the opposite side as their batting and golfing side. Most people golf the same way they bat as it's a similar motion, shooting in hockey is different.

I think people overanalyze the side a child should shoot; unless he's equally dextrous on both sides, he's better off doing it the way he's more comfortable. Would you tell a right handed pitcher in baseball to throw with his left hand to help him pick off stealers?

leeaf83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 12:03 AM
CunniJA

I always have thought that people have to consider that things get more complicated when you're using two hands to do something instead of one. I think it's not really useful to compare writing to hockey. Writing is done with one hand. Holding a hockey stick, stickhandling with it, and shooting using the stick are all done with two hands.

I write and throw right-handed. I bat right-handed. I use a right curve stick. I play tennis right-handed I play pool left-handed (which I think makes sense for somebody who shoots with a righty curve). I shovel left-handed (left hand on top). I can only hold a bike well one-handed using my left hand. On skis and skates, I'm better turning to my left. One that I like to bring up in threads like the is that I hold jars with my right and twist caps off with my left.

It's all pretty weird stuff. I maintain that things get complicated when you're using one than one arm to get something done.

CunniJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:53 AM
Jisatsu

Ovechkin is a bad example to use, because in Russia, all children are forced to learn to write with their right hands. It is actually kind of amazing that he was allowed to play hockey and shoot right growing up, as most russian and european players shoot left. He is most likely left handed and writes right handed due to cultural circumstances.

As a lefty, I play guitar normally, or right handed, with my left hand fretting, I do this so I can have better dexterity with the fretboard. I tried playing lefty, and it was very awkward, but felt very natural playing right handed.

Back to the topic at hand, honestly I think a person should use whatever is most comfortable. I think within the first 2-6 months of playing you should switch back and forth until you find what works best for you, and after that commit fully to it.

Jisatsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:28 AM
kr580

Send a message via AIM to kr580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Yake View Post
is it just me or do most younger players today shoot righty compared to older generations? despite the fact that most people are right handed. i grew up assuming that if you're right handed then you're supposed to shoot lefty.

i watched a friend of mine's son play this weekend (14-16 year olds) and out of both teams there were only 2 lefties that i counted.
As far as American players are concerned I think it has to do with the fact that hockey is not a natural sport for us. Everyone is used to baseball so they think if you swing righty you'll want the stick to be on that side as well. Or the simple fact that sticks are labeled 'RH' so parents and people in general think "If you're a righty you must need a righty stick."

kr580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:59 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycpunk1 View Post
The answer is simple: anecdotes are not data. A claim that X is the most probable outcome is not debunked by instances in which the outcome was not X.

Guitar/violin is definitely an interesting example, I'll give you that.
It really is... considering almost EVERY SINGLE right handed person who plays a stringed instrument frets with their non-dominant hand. I play guitar myself and I couldn't imagine strumming with my left hand. Strumming requires a good amount of dexterity and control as well.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote