HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Marc Bergevin looking for a defensemen since ...

Old
10-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs88 View Post
I should watch more hockey and your the one that doesn't kno what pull a gainey means.

McDonough for Gomez?

Prospect for short term solution how did that work out
Aside from the whole 2009 debacle, Gainey was as conservative as they come. Never signed any big UFAs, never made any big trades. His 5 year plan is pretty similar to the one Bergy has.

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:11 PM
Aceekay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Issacar View Post
Realitically speaking, do you believe that Jets would do Gorges 1 on 1 vs Bogosian?
no way

Aceekay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:12 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Aside from the whole 2009 debacle, Gainey was as conservative as they come. Never signed any big UFAs, never made any big trades. His 5 year plan is pretty similar to the one Bergy has.
If you say so, the 2009 debacle DID happen so the rest of his crappy career as gm was overshadowed by and even crappier debacle. If Marc bergevin would pull some sort of big trades like you guys are asking we would end up calling this the 2013 debacle

Habs88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

Quote:
And that isn't a bad thing because we are technically still retooling it's been one year and you guys are ready to trade prospects and go for the cup when MB clearly said he was retooling and building through the draft that doesn't happen in 1 years sorry guys
Maybe you're right, but we finished 2nd in the East last year and we are most likely going to lose a big part of that 2013-14 core next summer.

I'll end it here by showing how I see the team right now (short term):

Offense: A-
Defense: C-
Goaltending: A

If MB can find a way to get it done...

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceekay View Post
no way
Exactly.

Issacar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:17 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
If you say so, the 2009 debacle DID happen so the rest of his crappy career as gm was overshadowed by and even crappier debacle. If Marc bergevin would pull some sort of big trades like you guys are asking we would end up calling this the 2013 debacle
Who was the GM again when the Stars won the cup? Oh yeah that dude with the crappy career as a GM. His decision making as a GM started declining once his daughter died, perfectly understandable that his head wasn't completely in it anymore.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:18 PM
CanadiensforLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Pleckanec
Galchenyuk
Briere
White
I'm sure you forgot the after your list...please tell me you're kidding about Galchenyuk..

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:20 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxHabs24 View Post
Maybe you're right, but we finished 2nd in the East last year and we are most likely going to lose a big part of that 2013-14 core next summer.

I'll end it here by showing how I see the team right now (short term):

Offense: A-
Defense: C-
Goaltending: A

If MB can find a way to get it done...
Worst case scenario we end up losing Gionta and Markov. That still leaves us with 25 reccuring players (given we resign everyone else).

Situation is not as dire as you amke it out to be and we're not cup contenders or a player away from cup contending either.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:25 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Who was the GM again when the Stars won the cup? Oh yeah that dude with the crappy career as a GM. His decision making as a GM started declining once his daughter died, perfectly understandable that his head wasn't completely in it anymore.
Yes gainey good career in dallas but a crappy career in Montreal that's obviously what I was talking about, stop trying to hold on by a thread and just admit that trading valuable prospects for short tearm solutions is a bad idea

Old
10-14-2013, 02:27 PM
LastChancePrice

Ship DD to Dallas for Robidas. Maybe DD can sparkle again with Cole??

LastChancePrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:33 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Yes gainey good career in dallas but a crappy career in Montreal that's obviously what I was talking about, stop trying to hold on by a thread and just admit that trading valuable prospects for short tearm solutions is a bad idea
First of all, I never said we should be looking at short term solutions. Now second of all, as bad as the Gomez trade was. It was not a short term solution at all, he had 5 years remaining on his contract when he got him. Obviously he didn't expect Gomez to decline this early but that's another story for another time. By the way, stop making it sound like short term solutions are always a bad idea. Was the Wizniewski deal a bad idea? No. Was the Dominic Moore deal a bad idea? Yes. Was the Joe Nieuwendyk deal a bad idea? No.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:38 PM
sampollock

off to the peg right now,

I will scout , and let you know, DD must go....find a way

sampollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:40 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I'd try to ask Columbus if Nikitin or Savard are available.
That's what i said earlier in the thread. Nikitin is currently getting benched in favor of Prout and Savard, and their grooming Tim Erixon in the AHL. Nikitin is probably the odd man out, and i'd take him ahead of both Bouillon and Diaz because he's big and can play the PP.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:41 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markowicz View Post
That's what i said earlier in the thread. Nikitin is currently getting benched in favor of Prout and Savard, and their grooming Tim Erixon in the AHL. Nikitin is probably the odd man out, and i'd take him ahead of both Bouillon and Diaz because he's big and can play the PP.
Problem with Nikitin is his speed, I don't think he'd have much success in Therrien's system.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:44 PM
Issacar

Quote:
First of all, I never said we should be looking at short term solutions. Now second of all, as bad as the Gomez trade was. It was not a short term solution at all, he had 5 years remaining on his contract when he got him. Obviously he didn't expect Gomez to decline this early but that's another story for another time. By the way, stop making it sound like short term solutions are always a bad idea. Was the Wizniewski deal a bad idea? No. Was the Dominic Moore deal a bad idea? Yes. Was the Joe Nieuwendyk deal a bad idea? No.
The DOminic Moore deal wasn't bad at all. THe only bad part is that we didn,t kept him.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:45 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Problem with Nikitin is his speed, I don't think he'd have much success in Therrien's system.
It's more important for the forwards to be quick. The D's not so much. He has a good first pass, he can move the puck better than probably half of our D, i think he'd be fine.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:47 PM
Issacar

Quote:
It's more important for the forwards to be quick. The D's not so much. He has a good first pass, he can move the puck better than probably half of our D, i think he'd be fine.
Don't overrated Nikitin either, if he can't make the Blues or Blue Jackets defense, there is a reason too and it's not because he outperforms some rookies.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Quote:
Don't overrated Nikitin either, if he can't make the Blues or Blue Jackets defense, there is a reason too and it's not because he outperforms some rookies.
Nikitin had a good season when the Blue Jackets picked him up in 11-12. He definitely has some offensive skills. But the Blues and the Blue Jackets have a good defense.

Quote:
It could be worth the risk for a 5th round pick or something. I definitely would have prefered giving him a shot than Drewiske last year. For a guy of his size he doesn't really hit though (a bit under a hit per game). I'd obviously prefer him over Bouillon the 2nd PP unit but I don't think he'd be that much of an upgrade 5 on 5. That's without taking in consideration that our defense is already pretty slow. Diaz and Subban are our fastest defenseman. Gorges and Bouillon are not really fast and Markov has lost a step.

Last edited by Chris Cutter: 10-14-2013 at 02:57 PM.
Old
10-14-2013, 02:52 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifthgear View Post
Marc Bergevin, would be looking for a defender, reports Bruce Garrioch.
Ottawa Sun reporter mentioned this in his article that the the Habs might try to pick a defensemen since the loss of Douglas Murray would be longer than expected. Also, Russian Alexei Emelin is not ready to make a return to the game.
David Desharnais could be the bargaining chip to acquire that defender?

Article found in http://25stanley.com/

Discuss ...
DD wouldn't bring much....probably have to move Pleks to get a good d-man back. Move Galchenyuk to center.

Mats86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
I know, and i'm not overrating him, i think, by saying he's better than Diaz and Bouillon. They have a decent defence in Columbus, no big stars, but no really bad d's either. It's more a case of having too many #5 d-men, and guys exceeding their potential a bit quicker than expected. From i've read, Nikitin isn't playing badly, just that Savard and Prout are playing better.

Old
10-14-2013, 02:54 PM
Habs88
Ya I'm a habs fan

Quote:
Yes trading prospects for short term is bad during a rebuild especially if you give proven prospects like Eller for them or even galchenyuk my original post was never targeted to you it was to whoever said that trading plek Eller galchenyuk or anything along those borders for guys like bogo. how we even got to discussing if it would be good it beyond me. I cannot agree that trading any one of those so that the team can do something right now is a smart move. It simply isn't

Old
10-14-2013, 02:59 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
but that's the thing with a 5 year plan, it doesn't happen over night so you are not going to go out and sign every free agent and make dozens of trades, that would be a one year plan

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I said in another thread MB should look Floridas way . They have some underperforming defenseman and a free agent crisis coming up. Florida might welcome a player like DD who they can control for several years.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 03:07 PM
Issacar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
I said in another thread MB should look Floridas way . They have some underperforming defenseman and a free agent crisis coming up. Florida might welcome a player like DD who they can control for several years.
That's actually one of the nest assessment I've read, in terms of with whom we could deal DD...

Old
10-14-2013, 03:10 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Crappy career? Traded "nothing" for Kovalev, traded a UFA dman who didn't like snow for Gorges and Pacioretty, drafted Price and Subban ... . Gomez' poor play is on Gomez, not Gainey.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote