HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Arron Asham and Martin Biron (10/20: Biron announces his retirement on Twitter)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2013, 05:59 PM
  #226
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Bring Haley up. Isnt he one of the closer things to Asham? And if AV wants more skill, why was Asham on the team to begin with??? Is this management team making important decisions regarding the future and development of kids in 5 game intervals? as usual, Im left with more questions than answers.
I agree, but if they want more "skill" I doubt Haley gets the call.

Two are getting called up now with Nash on the IR. Kristo, Miller, Kreider. Pick two and that'd be my guess. Unless they aren't calling up anyone at all and do some stupid trade or FA signings, which are unlikely if you ask me.

I wish they'd just leave the talent in Hartford and call up some plugs. Shouldn't have even waived Asham if they only plan to dick the kids around some more. They have to make up their mind on Miller and Kreider and be done with it.

__________________
DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:00 PM
  #227
lucky13
Iron Chic
 
lucky13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: selden...L.I.
Country: United States
Posts: 707
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I hate Miller coming up. I would have liked for him to have gotten into a good rhythm down in Hartford for a while.
Indeed

lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:01 PM
  #228
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
its probably already been mentioned, but we NEED someone that can punch opponents in the face. We are waaay to passive.

I was prepared for Dorsett to come in and bang bodies, start trouble for the other team, and participate in some high energy hockey. I really havent seen much of that from him.

It kind of troubles me that we don't have Asham in the line up. its so deflating to see our guys get pushed around by bigger, stronger, more aggressive players. I guess i hope Haley finds his way up (although Im not sure i I would chose him over Asham)

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  #229
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
its probably already been mentioned, but we NEED someone that can punch opponents in the face. We are waaay to passive.

I was prepared for Dorsett to come in and bang bodies, start trouble for the other team, and participate in some high energy hockey. I really havent seen much of that from him.

It kind of troubles me that we don't have Asham in the line up. its so deflating to see our guys get pushed around by bigger, stronger, more aggressive players. I guess i hope Haley finds his way up (although Im not sure i I would chose him over Asham)
I can punch people in the face. That seems like a rather shallow requirement.

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  #230
E-Train
Registered User
 
E-Train's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
He was a beast in NHL 98
Have to admit I prefer Vitali Yeremeyev to Ram.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:11 PM
  #231
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I can punch people in the face. That seems like a rather shallow requirement.
...... i think you know what im saying.

I'll try again, but be more clear. I believe we need someone who can fight well on this team (no offense to you and your pugilistic prowess). Im not endorsing fighting, or staged fighting, etc... but I feel someone on this team needs to be the primary fighter. I dont want our skilled guys doing it, I dont want callahan sitting in the box for 5 mins for fighting some goon, I want a guy that can win a fight when fighting happens. Asham could do that and played a simple game. He has tons of experience and knows his role.

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:12 PM
  #232
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I agree, but if they want more "skill" I doubt Haley gets the call.

Two are getting called up now with Nash on the IR. Kristo, Miller, Kreider. Pick two and that'd be my guess. Unless they aren't calling up anyone at all and do some stupid trade or FA signings, which are unlikely if you ask me.

I wish they'd just leave the talent in Hartford and call up some plugs. Shouldn't have even waived Asham if they only plan to dick the kids around some more. They have to make up their mind on Miller and Kreider and be done with it.
What is this skill stuff? Thats secondary to whats going on right now. The team has given up 25 goals in 5 games.

When you have a leak in your house, do you call the plumber and wait? Or do you stop the leak first?

If I saw Kristo, Kreider, or Miller adding anything, I'd welcome it. But its a long shot -- whats worse, is its a long shot that ruins these kids' development.

I'd probably rather have Powe come up than any of those 3, and I hate Powe.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:14 PM
  #233
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
...... i think you know what im saying.

I'll try again, but be more clear. I believe we need someone who can fight well on this team (no offense to you and your pugilistic prowess). Im not endorsing fighting, or staged fighting, etc... but I feel someone on this team needs to be the primary fighter. I dont want our skilled guys doing it, I dont want callahan sitting in the box for 5 mins for fighting some goon, I want a guy that can win a fight when fighting happens. Asham could do that and played a simple game. He has tons of experience and knows his role.
25 goals against in 5 games.

Answer? Another idiot who can fight, but cant skate.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:17 PM
  #234
The Lunatic Fridge
Registered User
 
The Lunatic Fridge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 28,289
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to The Lunatic Fridge Send a message via MSN to The Lunatic Fridge
I understand biron has been playing bad but waiving him is a tad ridiculous.

The Lunatic Fridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:17 PM
  #235
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
...... i think you know what im saying.

I'll try again, but be more clear. I believe we need someone who can fight well on this team (no offense to you and your pugilistic prowess). Im not endorsing fighting, or staged fighting, etc... but I feel someone on this team needs to be the primary fighter. I dont want our skilled guys doing it, I dont want callahan sitting in the box for 5 mins for fighting some goon, I want a guy that can win a fight when fighting happens. Asham could do that and played a simple game. He has tons of experience and knows his role.
I agree they should replace Asham if they are going to waive him, but Asham is a step behind the pace of the game now. His role needs to be filled by youth and the closest guy they have is Haley.

On the other side of the argument I'm not sure a tough guy is really what they need right now. Dorsett can and will fight if need be. If your only concern is having a guy to drop them so a more important player doesn't then one guy like that on the team is enough. So if they replace Asham perhaps it should be someone more useful beyond fighting and other 4th line pleasantries.

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:20 PM
  #236
DMPD
Offseasons Greetings
 
DMPD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mysidia
Country: United States
Posts: 21,376
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
What is this skill stuff? Thats secondary to whats going on right now. The team has given up 25 goals in 5 games.

When you have a leak in your house, do you call the plumber and wait? Or do you stop the leak first?

If I saw Kristo, Kreider, or Miller adding anything, I'd welcome it. But its a long shot -- whats worse, is its a long shot that ruins these kids' development.

I'd probably rather have Powe come up than any of those 3, and I hate Powe.
Oh no, I agree wholeheartedly but I'm not entirely sure the leak is 100% a personnel problem. Some of it is adjustments, road-trips and all the other excuses. However yes there is definitely a difference in the way this team is playing defense. I'm not sure any players coming in are going to fix that though. Be it Powe or a prospect.

I honestly don't know what I would suggest anymore, but I am pretty certain on what they will do, and I'm not sure it's going to matter.

DMPD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:22 PM
  #237
Crazed Beaver
Registered User
 
Crazed Beaver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Swamp
Country: United States
Posts: 909
vCash: 500
Look around the league, there are kids playing all over the place. This notion we need to wait x amount of games, is ideal, yet irrelevant. Miller gives them better chance to win so miller gets called up. If we can overlook putrid play of vets why can't we get behind these kids. Kreider-miller-fast intrigues me. We need new blood.

Crazed Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
  #238
KasparsHipCheck
Registered User
 
KasparsHipCheck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: upstate ny
Country: United States
Posts: 1,003
vCash: 500
The Rangers, in general, are small--as in they play way to soft. It showed big time against the large teams in the West like San Jose. San Jose is much larger than the Rangers current line-up and they use it to their advantage. They check and create so many offensive opportunities this way. Right now the Rangers are a team that sits back, and let's the other team take it to them. One guy like Miller or Haley doesn't solve this problem. The D especially, needs to play more physical. San Jose just ran all of over them, knowing that as a group the Ranger's do not check. If guys like Staal who is a big dude or McD and Girardi would play more physical, they wouldn't have been blown out, leaving Hank and Biron shell-shocked.

KasparsHipCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:27 PM
  #239
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,041
vCash: 500
Miller is being called up for the wrong reasons - not because he's ready, but because the organization isn't thrilled with some of the crap on the roster they put together. With Hagelin and McDonagh, I felt the Rangers did a good job in giving them some time in Hartford to develop and then recognizing when they were ready to be called up. I can't say the same for how they have handled Miller and Kreider.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:28 PM
  #240
beef 4 lunch
Registered User
 
beef 4 lunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
25 goals against in 5 games.

Answer? Another idiot who can fight, but cant skate.
OK, enlighten me....

Here's the scenario. Asham is waived. please tell me what you would do to solve our scoring issues by filling our open spot on the forth line, without making this team weaker than it already is. Maybe one of our rookies from Hartford that you are so high in ?

Edit: ok, i see you want Powe. Fine, but 25 goals in 5 games. Answer? Powe?

beef 4 lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
  #241
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,637
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Viper View Post
This. It has been too long since this organization has been able to go full time with e back-up they developed.

Big opportunity for Missaen as well in the AHL. I wonder who comes up to back him up? Stajcer? Or do they promote Malcolm who they just signed to a AHL deal?
Stajcer's hurt and will be out for a while, but I don't know what the injury is.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:40 PM
  #242
Leetch66
Registered User
 
Leetch66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: PEI Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromTheSide View Post
I understand biron has been playing bad but waiving him is a tad ridiculous.
IMO...that is wrong...signing him to that last contract was the ridiculous part .

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:45 PM
  #243
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 14,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Miller is being called up for the wrong reasons - not because he's ready, but because the organization isn't thrilled with some of the crap on the roster they put together. With Hagelin and McDonagh, I felt the Rangers did a good job in giving them some time in Hartford to develop and then recognizing when they were ready to be called up. I can't say the same for how they have handled Miller and Kreider.
Miller is being called up because of injuries, which is how players often get their shot to stick with the club. See: Ryan McDonagh.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:53 PM
  #244
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 16,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Miller is being called up because of injuries, which is how players often get their shot to stick with the club. See: Ryan McDonagh.
The same Ryan McDonagh that got 38 consecutive games in the AHL.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:54 PM
  #245
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.
 
BrooklynRangersFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Brooklyn of course
Country: United States
Posts: 11,057
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Miller is being called up because of injuries, which is how players often get their shot to stick with the club. See: Ryan McDonagh.
True.

I also would've liked for the kids to get the full month of October (or heck, just one more weekend) to keep building on their momentum, but this is what you do when you have these injuries and these performances this early in the year. It's half the reason you have a farm team. It's not ideal, but it's what needs to be done - and, like with McDonagh, you hope that they're ready to surprise you and grab that spot.

I just hope that if they call up the "skill" kids that they play them "skill" minutes in "skill" roles.

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:56 PM
  #246
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,811
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoak View Post
Stajcer's hurt and will be out for a while, but I don't know what the injury is.
He's recovering from offseason hip surgery.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:57 PM
  #247
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by beef 4 lunch View Post
OK, enlighten me....

Here's the scenario. Asham is waived. please tell me what you would do to solve our scoring issues by filling our open spot on the forth line, without making this team weaker than it already is. Maybe one of our rookies from Hartford that you are so high in ?

Edit: ok, i see you want Powe. Fine, but 25 goals in 5 games. Answer? Powe?
The answer is weeding out the guys who provide next to nothing. Also, lines have to get quicker. Too much slow, plodding guys out there who do not have he skill to surpass being slower. AV needs quicker players. Pyatt should be gone too, but there are not enough people to replace at this time with the youth in the AHL. Asham sat for a 7th D. Shows what the organization thought going into Saturday.

Powe fits the system better. He can skate and pressure the opponent. He looked good in camp. He can play center and wing. Feel Asham was kept due to West teams with size, but did nothing to show he can compete with them. Hence, he goes. Pyatt should be next tbh. Slow, less talent than Asham tbh, but is bigger. Does not use size. These players were given a shot. Looks a lot like the team Torts used in last seaons playoff + Fast.

Learning the system with pieces that don't fit. This is just the start. I expect some more changes prior to Mid November. Falk has had a poor showing so far in preseason and limited action in STL. See above about Pyatt. If Dorsett continues, he'll be in the pressbox or out of town. Dom Moore and Boyle should be concerned too. Both bottom liners and if others step up could see the door as well, although, they fit better than the others.

If Miller is the only call-up, there should be others looking out for Kreider, Lindberg, Kristo, Hrivik, Yogan, etc coming up and taking spots. All are playing well in the A. Hrivik had a bug and missed a game.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
  #248
mrjimmyg89
'13-'14 East Champs
 
mrjimmyg89's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The same Ryan McDonagh that got 38 consecutive games in the AHL.
The same Miller played the majority of last year in the AHL. Same with Kreider. I'd be looking at Kristo, Lindberg, and Fast possibly being up too soon and can use pro experience in the A since this is their first seasons as NA pros. Although Lindberg and Fast were in men's leagues last season excelling. Kristo needs the A more than anyone.

mrjimmyg89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:00 PM
  #249
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10,041
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Miller is being called up because of injuries, which is how players often get their shot to stick with the club. See: Ryan McDonagh.
Different scenario. McDonagh played almost 40 games in the AHL before he was called up. Miller played the first game of the season in the NHL, played 3 games in the AHL, and now he is being called up again. I have a hard time believing that those 3 games made such a difference in his development that he is more ready now than he was two weeks ago. If Miller ends up playing on the 4th line, I would much prefer Powe or Haley playing there instead as they are better suited for that role.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 07:03 PM
  #250
Rust Heisenberg
Registered User
 
Rust Heisenberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 10,576
vCash: 500
Kreider should be up.

Miller seems definite in terms of remaining in the team's future. Bringing up Kreider does several things.

1) Nash and Asham are the ones that are sent down. Two wingers. Miller, while he can play wing, is better off learning to be a center. Kreider is a wing.

2) Kreider being called up lets us see if he's gained some confidence back. He was slotted to be with the team from the get go. You want to see maturity and growth. What better time to let him loose and see if he's cut out for this team than when we're in a 1-4 hole?

3) Kreider isn't guaranteed to be a part of this team's future. You need to showcase him at the very worst case scenario. If he has no spot on the team and management knows this they'd be better off showcasing him than developing him. Maybe they can do a Zibinedjad/Kreider swap? Maybe something else evolves. Point is you can't shut that possibility out just cause you favor one prospect over the other.

4) You can't just call Miller up any time a forward spot is available. Develop him at a certain position. Wing is a need right now. Miller should be a C. Call up a damn wing. People don't get this concept. He's developing, do they really want to screw with that development?

Rust Heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.