2014 OHL Priority Selection Prospects

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2013, 11:53 PM
mapleleaf979

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtypicalhockey View Post
in all your scouts opinions... will the number of points a defenseman affect a defensive or two way defenders draft position??
Compete level, skating ability, Hockey sense. Those are most important in my opinion. If u rack up the points but struggle in one of those 3 areas I mentioned, it will show itself in the OHL.

Old
10-12-2013, 12:08 AM
mapleleaf979

I re-posted the above by mistake, please delete this.

Old
10-12-2013, 06:36 AM
defensehockey19

Really excited for this draft as the Petes have 4 picks in the top 40. And 2 2nds which could be top 25 picks with Sarnia and Kitchener. I know the Petes likely deal one or two of these but still interesting regardless... I'm hoping for a guy like Saigeon or Mascherin up front...

Old
10-12-2013, 10:37 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneurism View Post
TheScout.ca just posted its top 10 with HM:

1. Jakob Chychrun
2. Mike McLeod
3. Logan Brown
4. Victor Mete
5. Adam Mascherin
6. Brandon Saigeon
7. Max Jones
8. Mitchell Mendoncan
9. Joseph Mizzi
10. Clayton Keller

HM: Sam Dunn, Timmy Gettinger, Tye Felhaber, Logan Stanley

Thoughts?
Mete best skater in draft, but his size will definitely affect his play at the next level. His main problem is that he always ends up in the offensive corner with the puck. He has to learn to charge the net or make a productive offensive play out of all his skating work.

Mascherin has great hands, but when he doesn't have the puck he does a lot of watching and is very lazy.

Mizzi has been falling off the radar. He will be a 1st rounder, but will struggle at the next level.

Mcleod has all the wow factor, but honestly, over the last couple of months, including All State Challenge, he has underachieved.

ALOT OF TIMES THE PLAYERS DRAFTED IN THE FIRST ROUND ARE NOT THE BEST PLAYERS, AND HAVE ALOT TO DO WITH SECONDARY MOTIVES OR PERSUASION BY AGENTS. LOOK AT LAST YEAR'S DRAFT AND #6 MCCOOL AND #7 CAPOBIANCO. THEY ARE STRUGGLING IN THE OHL, TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE NOT EVEN PLAYING REGULARLY, OR HEALTH SCRATCHES.

Old
10-12-2013, 10:42 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyboy View Post
SERIOUSLY?!?! Doughty & Ryan Murphy (Sean Day being the best skater) have been the most impressive Minor Midgets from a skating/puck handling perspective I have ever seen. I have to get a look at JC Superstar.
I agree with Murphy being the most skilled player in the OHL draft that year, and should have gone #1 by far. However, in the OHL, the coaches want you to play defense first and then offense. That makes Ryan Murphy an avg dman, and more of a defensive liability.

Chychrun can play defense, has size, vision, skill, can shoot, skate and hit. He is th real deal, and in my opinion, is he #1 pick by far right now, if he decides to commit to OHL. (unfamiliar with other US players at this moment).

Old
10-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Pioneer5

Just asking. Are you a scout? Who are you?

Old
10-13-2013, 04:14 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inthestands View Post
Just asking. Are you a scout? Who are you?
Hockey fan. Nothing else.

Old
10-14-2013, 06:28 AM
Gallagher4321

Does anyone know of any omha players who have potential to be a high pick this year?

Old
10-14-2013, 09:15 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallagher4321 View Post
Does anyone know of any omha players who have potential to be a high pick this year?
Just a few names who should be considered in the opening rounds:

Mitchell Mendonca (Southern Tier)
Sam Dunn (Central Ontario)

Jonathon Schaefer (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Matt Timms (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Brandon Saigeon (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Nicholas Prestia (Southern Tier)
Matt Barnes (Barrie Jr. Colts)
Jonathan Ang (Markham)

Jake O'Donnell (Clarington)
Chris Paquette (Kingston)
Matt Hotchkiss (Whitby)
Cole Robbins (Peterborough)
Riley Stillman (Peterborough)
James Allen (Peterborough)
Conor Timmins (Southern Tier)
Tyler Nother (Halton)
Nicholas Stuckless (Halton)
Jake Lawr (Halton, G)

bolded are the more high end players

Old
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
Just a few names who should be considered in the opening rounds:

Mitchell Mendonca (Southern Tier)
Sam Dunn (Central Ontario)

Jonathon Schaefer (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Matt Timms (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Brandon Saigeon (Hamilton Jr. Bulldogs)
Nicholas Prestia (Southern Tier)
Matt Barnes (Barrie Jr. Colts)
Jonathan Ang (Markham)

Jake O'Donnell (Clarington)
Chris Paquette (Kingston)
Matt Hotchkiss (Whitby)
Cole Robbins (Peterborough)
Riley Stillman (Peterborough)
James Allen (Peterborough)
Conor Timmins (Southern Tier)
Tyler Nother (Halton)
Nicholas Stuckless (Halton)
Jake Lawr (Halton, G)

bolded are the more high end players
I would probably add Hanley from Whitby as well. Porter is also on the small side but very dynamic puck mover, makes very good reads he's just hidden behind Hanley most nights. It will be interesting to see how high searles and sambrooke go from scc. Searles uses his reach very well and is explosive off the boards, still very raw though. Sambrooke has good positioning and excellent feet, makes the right offensive reads but needs to work on his shooting.

Old
10-14-2013, 07:17 PM
doogie24

Went to Green and White on Friday night. Probably won't get many more chances to see Toronto or Vaughn before OHL Cup so made sure I got over there at least once.

Candella looks like an absolute stud on D. Will he be a lock for the top 20?

Mascherin is also fun to watch, looks like is he pretty built already too.

Looks like McLeod will be a great player especially if he fills out his tall frame. Am I wrong to say that he lacks the mean streak that Konecny played with last year ? (To compare a 1st and potential 1st overall this year)

Old
10-14-2013, 07:48 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by doogie24 View Post
Went to Green and White on Friday night. Probably won't get many more chances to see Toronto or Vaughn before OHL Cup so made sure I got over there at least once.

Candella looks like an absolute stud on D. Will he be a lock for the top 20?

Mascherin is also fun to watch, looks like is he pretty built already too.

Looks like McLeod will be a great player especially if he fills out his tall frame. Am I wrong to say that he lacks the mean streak that Konecny played with last year ? (To compare a 1st and potential 1st overall this year)
Mcleod and Konecny are different players but your right, Konecny initiated alot more checks than u will see from Mcleod. I like Mcleod's skill and that extra gear he has. To be honest, Pu vs MCleod in a race would be extremely close. One thing I dont like about Mcleod is his compete level shift to shift to shift. Forcing the issue is a concern as well. Several Marlboro games Ive seen this year to me Raddysh is the best player shift in and shift out. He gives u everything, he is determined and gritty but has skill too and does not play the game with any ounce of selfishness to it. I'd draft Raddysh over Mizzi if the draft was tomorrow. I would not be disappointed to draft Raddysh over Mcleod either. Maybe in 4-5 months people will understand my point. I believe Raddysh should be taken in the First Round. Shift to Shift u just love the way he competes. I think he is there most important player.

Old
10-14-2013, 07:55 PM
ohlscouting

I went to the London and Hamilton tournaments on the weekend and it was nice to see some very competitive games played by all the different leagues in Ontario. The most exciting game that I watched so far this year was the Hamilton Bulldogs and the Toronto Marlies. The bulldogs played with a little more tenacity and grit, and played very well defensively.

Another SCTA team, STA, won the Hamilton tournament against a very talented and well coached Huron Perth Laker team.

There are some very good lesser known players that just might surprise at the draft.

Old
10-14-2013, 08:14 PM
youppi2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Mcleod and Konecny are different players but your right, Konecny initiated alot more checks than u will see from Mcleod. I like Mcleod's skill and that extra gear he has. To be honest, Pu vs MCleod in a race would be extremely close. One thing I dont like about Mcleod is his compete level shift to shift to shift. Forcing the issue is a concern as well. Several Marlboro games Ive seen this year to me Raddysh is the best player shift in and shift out. He gives u everything, he is determined and gritty but has skill too and does not play the game with any ounce of selfishness to it. I'd draft Raddysh over Mizzi if the draft was tomorrow. I would not be disappointed to draft Raddysh over Mcleod either. Maybe in 4-5 months people will understand my point. I believe Raddysh should be taken in the First Round. Shift to Shift u just love the way he competes. I think he is there most important player.
Nice to see a mention of Cliff Pu here. He is underrated IMHO, he's a great skater and should fill out with some size. I think Raddysh's game will translate to the OHL better than most GTHL players currently ranked higher than him.

Old
10-14-2013, 09:33 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
I'm a big Candella supporter. Love his overall game. He does it all. Sure looks like a top 20 selection to me

The biggest question/concern I have with McLeod is he appears to get tunnel vision at times. He's certainly a gifted passer but when he's flying at top speed (often the case), he buries his head and neglects open teammates. I love his wheels though.

Cliff Pu is one of my favorite Marlies players. Smart and slick attacker. That type of player excels in the possession game which is very important in today's game

Glad to see STA take home the Tim Horton's Tournament in Hamilton. How did Mendonca look? Easily one of the more exciting skilled players in this draft class.

Old
10-14-2013, 09:35 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohlscouting View Post

There are some very good lesser known players that just might surprise at the draft.
Yes I think so too. Guys like ~

Ryan Da Silva YSE
Cameron Morrison YSE
Cameron Searless SCC
Jacob Buch Hamilton
Connor Bunnaman Guelph
Jonah Gadjovich Whitby

and many more...

Old
10-14-2013, 09:53 PM
Gnmlviewer
Rookie User

Any body know about who's looking good up north
All I heared so far is
Coltin Point (Goaltender)
Robert Buckley (left d)
Ryan mooney (right d)
Broedy Bertrand (forward)

Last edited by Gnmlviewer: 10-14-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old
10-14-2013, 10:18 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
I'm a big Candella supporter. Love his overall game. He does it all. Sure looks like a top 20 selection to me

The biggest question/concern I have with McLeod is he appears to get tunnel vision at times. He's certainly a gifted passer but when he's flying at top speed (often the case), he buries his head and neglects open teammates. I love his wheels though.

Cliff Pu is one of my favorite Marlies players. Smart and slick attacker. That type of player excels in the possession game which is very important in today's game

Glad to see STA take home the Tim Horton's Tournament in Hamilton. How did Mendonca look? Easily one of the more exciting skilled players in this draft class.
Candella is dynamite. His skating is high end and his outlet passes are hard and right on the tape.

I didnt watch the Tourney in Hamilton this weekend, I was at the Hershey Center today and other commitments this weekend. So I didnt see Mendonca this weekend but I saw him at the Titans Tourney, impressive every game, high end prospect.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:36 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post

Chychrun can play defense, has size, vision, skill, can shoot, skate and hit. He is th real deal, and in my opinion, is he #1 pick by far right now, if he decides to commit to OHL. (unfamiliar with other US players at this moment).
You've sold me, Chew Dawg. Chychrun sounds like a man-child rampaging through the Minor Midget ranks.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:40 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Candella is dynamite. His skating is high end and his outlet passes are hard and right on the tape.

I didnt watch the Tourney in Hamilton this weekend, I was at the Hershey Center today and other commitments this weekend. So I didnt see Mendonca this weekend but I saw him at the Titans Tourney, impressive every game, high end prospect.
Ya I was able to see him several times at the Titans Tourney. IMO, he was my favorite player (him and Dunn) at that tournament. Was just wondering how he looked recently (I was only able to attend the Green White Tourney) after he had that scare with a knee injury a few weeks back. Just glad he's back competing.

Last edited by dean youngblood82: 10-15-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old
10-14-2013, 10:46 PM
chewerjones

Quote:
Ya I was able to see him several times at the Titans Tourney. IMO, he was my favorite player (him and Dunn) at that tournament. Was just wondering how he looked recently (I was only able to attend the Green White Tourney) after he had that scare with a knee injury a few weeks back. Just glad he's back competing.
I don't think he played in the Titans tourney??

Old
10-14-2013, 10:50 PM
chewerjones

Quote:

Pu and Cairns may be the best prospects on that team. Mcleod jury is still out.

Mizzii will have to deal with size.

Raddysh I cant see as a prospect at all. I think he can be compared to Addison, who benefitted playing with McDavid and Bennett.

Candella, I cant see what you guys are seeing. His skating is ok, his vision is poor, and he is all hype. Don't see it with him at all. I don't think he is the best dman on the Kings.

Old
10-14-2013, 10:53 PM
mapleleaf979

Quote:
Chychrun was not at the Titans tourney. First game, JRC vs Marlboros September 21st.

Old
10-15-2013, 01:07 AM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Pu and Cairns may be the best prospects on that team. Mcleod jury is still out.

Mizzii will have to deal with size.

Raddysh I cant see as a prospect at all. I think he can be compared to Addison, who benefitted playing with McDavid and Bennett.

Candella, I cant see what you guys are seeing. His skating is ok, his vision is poor, and he is all hype. Don't see it with him at all. I don't think he is the best dman on the Kings.
Candella's decision making is the reg flag for me, but the only red flag. I personally think Barbosa is a smarter player, makes very good reads for his age. But if Candella figures out his decision making he has all the physical tools to be better

Old
10-15-2013, 08:57 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

Quote:
Chychrun was not at the Titans tourney. First game, JRC vs Marlboros September 21st.
Yes. I haven't seen Chychrun. I quoted your wrong post...meant for it to be the one on Mendonca. Sorry about the confusion there haha

Closed Thread