HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Your views on Dallas Eakins so far

Closed Thread

Old
10-14-2013, 10:52 PM
Red Deer Rebel

vCash: 500
Eakins has a 4 year contract, so he'll have quite a bit a rope. Having said this, the Assistants (Chabot, Buchberger, and Smith) should be fired at the end of the current road trip unless there is a dramatic turnaround in team defence, special teams, and goaltending performance.

It doesn't do Eakins much good to preach accountability to a 19 year old Russian, while his totally useless coaches underperform year after year after year and are still collecting paycheques.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:05 PM
Heavy Dee

Hate that Eakins has zero fire behind the bench. I always wondered what Mark Crawford would do with this crew. Hell it's not my money.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:09 PM
Rafters

Oilers players still look like a bunch of individuals and not a team that will go to war for each other...

Old
10-14-2013, 11:09 PM
oilersrule14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zap Brannigan View Post
I'm positive the fourth line was put out there after Ovechkin was already on the ice. Than Ovechkin buried that scrub Brown and hell broke loose. Its a joke those losers were playing in a 4-1 loss. Its a joke those 3 are in the NHL

Thanks alot Keith
Ovechkin was, but that's because he didn't change with his linemates, so you're still off base insinuating that Eakins was trying to run their stars. Jay Beagle and Martin Erat (2/3 of their 4th line) came out and then Eakins put out our 4th line. Plus Ovechkin was the only guy on the ice that made a dirty play.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Remember how bad the Leafs looked after Carlyle took over? It took them a while to buy into the same system there that Eakins is trying to instill here. Maybe, just maybe it takes more than 5 games to blow away 7 years of losing culture and systems. Maybe it's just me but if we had an actual NHL goalie and were at about .500, people would be praising Eakins, Yak benching and all.

This falls on MacT amd Lowe. Not he coach.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Ovechkin was, but that's because he didn't change with his linemates, so you're still off base insinuating that Eakins was trying to run their stars. Jay Beagle and Martin Erat (2/3 of their 4th line) came out and then Eakins put out our 4th line. Plus Ovechkin was the only guy on the ice that made a dirty play.
Yep. Flat out penalty Ran Brown into boards who didn't even have the puck. Um, can't do that.

Is there bad blood from Browns time in Toronto. I really don't watch East hockey as much so I dunno. Looked like payback for something. Or OV somehow got the wrong number mistaking Brown for Ference who drilled him with a good solid open ice hit as OV was trying to shoot.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:25 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
Star players need a supporting cast. And a D. And a goalie. You cannot have 21 year olds carry an entire team especially with one that is as leaky a boat as the Oilers.
Since we are dog piling on Dubnyk, blaming him for three poor performances, then the same can be said of our young core of offensive talents--they aren't producing consistently either and are directly responsible for three losses. In three out of the six games our team has played, our team has been held to two goals or less. They simply don't show up; they've been completely non-existent. They fold up the tent as soon as they are down a goal.

It's clear now that our bottom six is noticeably better than our star players on most nights, who aren't hustling or generating offense at all on a consistent basis! Our bottom six at least consistently fights for pucks and battles for space on the ice. Our star players have completely disappeared on their teammates and cannot seem to penetrate any defensive system consistently from game-to-game.

Five goals generated in total over three games is certainly not enough to win, regardless of how bad the goaltending is.

It's outrageous to have so little offense from this team, with so much supposed fire power in the line up.

Pirate Argh!

Old
10-14-2013, 11:39 PM
The Joker
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Buddha View Post
Five goals generated in total over three games is certainly not enough to win, regardless of how bad the goaltending is.
They've scored 8 goals over the past 3 games... And 19 goals in six games... There's only one team in the West, and 3 in the entire NHL, with more goals.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:43 PM
tiger_80

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
They've scored 8 goals over the past 3 games... And 19 goals in six games... There's only one team in the West, and 3 in the entire NHL, with more goals.
Yeah, people complaining about lack of scoring do not have a clue about this team's problems. Today was the first time they gave up less than 5 goals in a loss. That's beyond brutal.

Last edited by tiger_80: 10-14-2013 at 11:50 PM.
Old
10-14-2013, 11:44 PM
BlueChip01
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yep. Flat out penalty Ran Brown into boards who didn't even have the puck. Um, can't do that.

Is there bad blood from Browns time in Toronto. I really don't watch East hockey as much so I dunno. Looked like payback for something. Or OV somehow got the wrong number mistaking Brown for Ference who drilled him with a good solid open ice hit as OV was trying to shoot.
I'm pretty sure SMid knocked Ovy down and Ovy was pissed. He then came around and smoked Brown.

Old
10-14-2013, 11:56 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Quote:
I didn't say that I was talking about the past three games, merely pointing out that they lost 6-2 against Vancouver, 4-1 against Montreal, and 4-2 tonight against Washington. That's not nearly enough offense in half of their games so far. They score goals in bunches, but only have done so in half of their performances so far. That's simply not good enough to have a winning record. Time for some more consistent production from the guys making $6M a year to produce.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:00 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I didn't say that I was talking about the past three games, merely pointing out that they lost 6-2 against Vancouver, 4-1 against Montreal, and 4-2 tonight against Washington. That's not nearly enough offense in half of their games so far. They score goals in bunches, but only have done so in half of their performances so far. That's simply not good enough to have a winning record. Time for some more consistent production from the guys making $6M a year to produce.
I understood your post perfectly fine. Obviously the kids haven't been getting it done and continue to get their lunch money stolen. They've been, other than the 4th line, the most ineffective forwards on the club.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:02 AM
The Joker
Simba

Quote:
Again, they are tied for FOURTH in the NHL in goals for.

FOURTH.

It's pretty difficult to logically determine that a 28th place team that is 4th in scoring is 28th due to scoring.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:03 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

Eakins .. hmm. my view.. well this 7 year roller coaster ride has been long enough.. I'll come back and see how it's going at the TD.. not gonna invest anymore time on predictable dissapointment until I retire -~

Old
10-15-2013, 12:04 AM
jp7

If we were to skid him, it's 5 coaches in what... 6 years? We need stability behind the bench with these young kids more than anything, having to learn a new system every year isn't going to help their development

Old
10-15-2013, 12:05 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
We're supposed to be a scoring juggernaut. lordy know's we've accumulated enough top draft pick talent. Yet its one problem area when all of Smyth, Gordon, Hemsky, Joensuu, Arcobello are all playing better than the number 1 pick kids and the legendary Eberle.

This clubs production is upside down right now and especially in terms of goal scoring.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:05 AM
The Joker
Simba

Quote:
I understood your post perfectly fine. Obviously the kids haven't been getting it done and continue to get their lunch money stolen. They've been, other than the 4th line, the most ineffective forwards on the club.
You guys are ridiculous.

Haven't you been begging for years to have secondary scoring? Now there's secondary scoring and that's a new problem? Everyone has cried for years that the Oilers only had one line and the other team could focus on shutting it down and then walk all over every other line...

Now, that's addressed but it's somehow not good enough...

Old
10-15-2013, 12:06 AM
Q Continuum
You are Wrong

vCash: 691
I just hope he's willing to back up the accountability talk up and PB Hall. Guy has been terrible so far.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:07 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Again, they are tied for FOURTH in the NHL in goals for.

FOURTH.

It's pretty difficult to logically determine that a 28th place team that is 4th in scoring is 28th due to scoring.
Hall has 1 goal Eberle has 1 goal, Yak has 0 goals. After 6GP. (4 in Yaks case because he's been too hopeless to warrant being dressed)

Its obvious this isn't helping.

Without supporting cast scoring (and unlikely to continue at that) scoring is indeed a problem on a club that should be having this as an area of strength.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:08 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
You guys are ridiculous.

Haven't you been begging for years to have secondary scoring? Now there's secondary scoring and that's a new problem? Everyone has cried for years that the Oilers only had one line and the other team could focus on shutting it down and then walk all over every other line...

Now, that's addressed but it's somehow not good enough...

No, the kids have been awful this year. Pretty easy to understand the current concern.

So far this year we ONLY have secondary scoring. The point I think, is to have BALANCED scoring.

For sure its a problem that we actually recruit improvements at several positions and then the guys that should be carrying this club next to disappear.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:11 AM
The Joker
Simba

Quote:
Hall has 1 goal Eberle has 1 goal, Yak has 0 goals. After 6GP.

Its obvious this isn't helping.

Without supporting cast scoring (and unlikely to continue at that) scoring is indeed a problem on a club that should be having this as an area of strength.
Yak has only played 4 games. Hall is a slow starter (although, he's looked absolutely awful). Eberle has looked better last couple games.

Again I ask, how does fourth in scoring in the league point to a problem with scoring? I feel like if you're 4th in GF and 30th in GA that the problem can be pinpointed to one specific area of the game. Now whether it's defending or goaltending, or a combination of both (it's this) is a different debate.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:14 AM
Team Omark*

I hope he PB's hall and gives someone else a chance at that first line LW TOI. Omark maybe?

Old
10-15-2013, 12:16 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Yak has only played 4 games. Hall is a slow starter (although, he's looked absolutely awful). Eberle has looked better last couple games.

Again I ask, how does fourth in scoring in the league point to a problem with scoring? I feel like if you're 4th in GF and 30th in GA that the problem can be pinpointed to one specific area of the game. Now whether it's defending or goaltending, or a combination of both (it's this) is a different debate.
It was just a specific point about the kids hot holding up their end which is really inexcusable.

Gordon, Perron, Joensuu, Belov, Ference, are vry helpful additions. But not if the kids are just going to play worse with the help.

obviously goaltending is the bigger problem but that doesn't preclude concern with hall, eberle, yak, J Schultz right now.

I think one of the more telling things is how much the introduction of some intelligent hockey players has made the incumbents look far worse in comparison.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:17 AM
The Joker
Simba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Omark View Post
I hope he PB's hall and gives someone else a chance at that first line LW TOI. Omark maybe?
Very bold of you to post troll with a second account.

Old
10-15-2013, 12:18 AM
Pablo Aimar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOiklRising View Post
I just hope he's willing to back up the accountability talk up and PB Hall. Guy has been terrible so far.
Its not Hall that needs to be benched its Justin Schultz. All the people going on about the double standard for Yakupov due being a euro, or whatever, will actually have something to point at if Justin Schultz isn't scratched when Grebeshkov or Larsen draw in. Schultz is BRUTAL. Every argument made for scratching Yakupov applies to Schultz as well. If Eakins doesn't sit Schultz then he is indeed full of ****.

Closed Thread