HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Just how bad does Boyle have to suck...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
  #101
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Somewhere in Time
Posts: 6,089
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The problem isn't Boyle himself, the problem is Boyle on the 3rd line.
and that we don't have any players that are good at hockey

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
  #102
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
name some forwards who log near the amount of ice time boyle does per game who are worse. i dare you.
To stick with more well known players ...Boyd Gordon, Rene Borque, Tommy Wingels, Eric Nystrom, Ryan Clowe ...and more.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
  #103
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,456
vCash: 504
This is quite interesting.

That's extremely impressive considering his zone starts and just how bad the Rangers have been possession-wise.

If he can keep up that level of shot attempt frequency, 20-goal Boyle may reappear.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
  #104
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 16,275
vCash: 500
If the Rangers can possess the damned puck 20 goals on the season may appear, at least i hope...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
  #105
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer
 
Whoot Whoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 2,648
vCash: 500
Half the posts are about boyle can score 20 goals and have are that he sucks. Yet we "don't know the game" because we think he can get 20? I don't get it.

He is underperforming and he doesn't use his size that well. He looks slow on his feet - that one season he worked on his skating he was a demi-god now he is just a nobody.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
  #106
Raspewtin
disenchanted
 
Raspewtin's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Prati, Rome
Country: Italy
Posts: 5,784
vCash: 500
I come to this thread every now and then just for a good laugh, honestly.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:15 AM
  #107
Sticky Fingers
Registered User
 
Sticky Fingers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 1,443
vCash: 500
I love Boyle. Partly because people around here that I disagree with hates him. But mostly because he is a good player at his position. And elevates his game in the PO and out scores Nash. Top value.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:49 AM
  #108
Placid
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Norway
Posts: 2,038
vCash: 500
Well, going strictly by numbers (yes, i know that is wrong, hehe), Boyle has been on the ice for 3 goals for (2 ES, 1 PP), and 6 goals against (3 ES, 3 PK).

Compare it to say Cally, who has also been on the ice for 3 goals for (2 ES, 1 PP), but 11 goals against (7 ES(!) and 4 PK).

Girardi leads the entire team (not including goalies) in "getting scored on" (9 ES, 3 PK) with Cally in hot pursuit, while Nash and Zuke are being scored least on (both on ice for 2 goals against). Well, in fairness, Miller wasnt scored against at all, but he didnt get much time up here

Just some "fun statistics" i decided to cobble together, which really means nothing as such.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:15 AM
  #109
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Or you could sticky that he's overrated defensively. He's adequate; some nights better, some nights worse. However, he's retarded offensively EVERY night. And so when u put it all together you have a pretty crappy hockey player.

If you think Boyle is overrated defensively and only 'adequate' you have been watching wrong games. He's our 2nd best PKer behind Callahan and Cally is one of the better ones going around.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:18 AM
  #110
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I'll raise my hand and honestly admit that the only reason I'm not a big fan of Boyle is because he's big, doesn't lay people out and drop the mitts. When I sit down and not think like a meathead though, I realize that the guy is excellent on the PK, decent on face-offs, very solid defensively and would be a welcome addition to any NHL teams bottom lines.

And that's the key. Bottom lines. Can have a guy like Boyle playing in top-6. Or even top-9 for that matter. He's one of the better 4th line centers going around.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:20 AM
  #111
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I'm sure it was a very proud moment for you.

Next step is to send Boyle a threatening tweet.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:00 AM
  #112
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!
 
Tender Rip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Shanghai, China
Posts: 11,982
vCash: 500
As a Pens fan, I hope we look at Boyle in free agency next year. Would be a welcome supplement in the bottom 6. Very useful player when used within the confines of what he can do.... as long as he is not to get salary as if that 20 goal season is something to ever expect to see from him again.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
  #113
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 30,988
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Pretty amazing to think he once scored 20 goals.
Boyle parlayed that season into $5.1M over 3 years. He hasn't done much since 10-11.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:42 AM
  #114
Bardof425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
If you think Boyle is overrated defensively and only 'adequate' you have been watching wrong games. He's our 2nd best PKer behind Callahan and Cally is one of the better ones going around.
No he's not. Stepan and Moore for starters are better than him on the pk. Are you judging purely by shot block attempts? Is that u Torts?

Bardof425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
  #115
darko
Registered User
 
darko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Australia
Posts: 29,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
No he's not. Stepan and Moore for starters are better than him on the pk. Are you judging purely by shot block attempts? Is that u Torts?

No I'm the guy that watches games. You must be the other guy.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 07:33 AM
  #116
Punxrocknyc19*
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,233
vCash: 500
id like to know how did Boyle score 30 goals in the AHL for the Monarchs???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 08:05 AM
  #117
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id like to know how did Boyle score 30 goals in the AHL for the Monarchs???
He has a good shot and he is good around the net (hard to move).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
  #118
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
No he's not. Stepan and Moore for starters are better than him on the pk. Are you judging purely by shot block attempts? Is that u Torts?
Lollerblading at Moore. Moore has been relatively pointless since he scored the goal in preseason imo

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:37 AM
  #119
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13,243
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Lollerblading at Moore. Moore has been relatively pointless since he scored the goal in preseason imo
Agreed. Haven't seen much more D. Moore at all. I understand he's still getting back into the swing of things, but Boyle is the better player right now. In fact, Boyle has been one of the better forwards overall, which makes this stupid thread even more stunning and silly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:45 AM
  #120
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed. Haven't seen much more D. Moore at all. I understand he's still getting back into the swing of things, but Boyle is the better player right now. In fact, Boyle has been one of the better forwards overall, which makes this stupid thread even more stunning and silly.
He deserves a little slide because of the year off but I find it hilarious looking back to the summer with people saying he'll be ten times better for the team than Boyle this year. I'll patiently wait for it to come close to happening

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
  #121
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,515
vCash: 500
Boyle continues to get ice time, and will continue to do so as long as this team continues to display utter incompetance in the defensive zone

Simply put, the Ranger's can not afford to get worse defensively right now.

As the team beings to play better, you will see Boyle's ice time decreased.... and the former will certianlly not be a result of the latter.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:22 PM
  #122
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,084
vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Half the posts are about boyle can score 20 goals and have are that he sucks. Yet we "don't know the game" because we think he can get 20? I don't get it.

He is underperforming and he doesn't use his size that well. He looks slow on his feet - that one season he worked on his skating he was a demi-god now he is just a nobody.
He doesn't use his body to make hits, that's why he's 2nd on the team in hits and 1st amongst forwards. He doesn't use his body to protect the puck and that's why he's one of 5 players, 4 forwards, who have a giveaway:takeaway ratio of 1:1 or higher. He doesn't use his body to challenge the opposition and stickup for teammates and that's why he got 4 minutes going after Brad Stuart. Pft, this guy's a "nobody", we should dump him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
I love Boyle. Partly because people around here that I disagree with hates him. But mostly because he is a good player at his position. And elevates his game in the PO and out scores Nash. Top value.
3rd liner, big body, chips in an occasional goal, and becomes that huge role player in the playoffs. You can't have too many guys like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Boyle parlayed that season into $5.1M over 3 years. He hasn't done much since 10-11.
Which is still respectably below league avg salary. Players with comparable salaries are found here and none are too stellar.


Last edited by vipernsx: 10-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:01 AM
  #123
Fanned On It
Registered User
 
Fanned On It's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
for him to be traded or cut? I can't think of a worse forward in the NHL. How how how how how is this clown who uses none of his size, is slow and has no hands STILL a Ranger or even in the NHL? How is NYR management this stupid?

Also how is this no skill waste of a player a media favorite? I'd rather have any other NHL forward as well as many AHL forwards in his place. Why are we not burning him at the stake? Year after year his suckery goes unnoticed. It's tragic.
I think what you meant to say was, "I can't think." Usually you learn how to think critically in grade-school/high-school as well as throughout the course of events in your life... but it's okay if you're not there yet.

Seriously though, you can't think of a worse NHL forward than Brian Boyle? How about half of the tough-guy enforcers in the league that play 3 minutes a night and don't even fight?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:37 AM
  #124
Bardof425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
No I'm the guy that watches games. You must be the other guy.
You're right. I've had season tickets for over 20 years. Never watch a game. Next retort.

Bardof425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
  #125
Bardof425
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Lollerblading at Moore. Moore has been relatively pointless since he scored the goal in preseason imo
This is not his first year of professional hockey. I wonder if some of you guys just picked up the sport two years ago; or maybe you're 17 years old.

Bardof425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.