HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Just how bad does Boyle have to suck...

Old
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
KreiMeARiver
Fast has potential!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
The problem isn't Boyle himself, the problem is Boyle on the 3rd line.
and that we don't have any players that are good at hockey

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 05:11 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
name some forwards who log near the amount of ice time boyle does per game who are worse. i dare you.
To stick with more well known players ...Boyd Gordon, Rene Borque, Tommy Wingels, Eric Nystrom, Ryan Clowe ...and more.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 06:04 PM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
This is quite interesting.

That's extremely impressive considering his zone starts and just how bad the Rangers have been possession-wise.

If he can keep up that level of shot attempt frequency, 20-goal Boyle may reappear.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:14 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

If the Rangers can possess the damned puck 20 goals on the season may appear, at least i hope...

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:19 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

Half the posts are about boyle can score 20 goals and have are that he sucks. Yet we "don't know the game" because we think he can get 20? I don't get it.

He is underperforming and he doesn't use his size that well. He looks slow on his feet - that one season he worked on his skating he was a demi-god now he is just a nobody.

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Raspewtin
disenchanted

I come to this thread every now and then just for a good laugh, honestly.

Raspewtin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Sticky Fingers

I love Boyle. Partly because people around here that I disagree with hates him. But mostly because he is a good player at his position. And elevates his game in the PO and out scores Nash. Top value.

Sticky Fingers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:49 AM
Placid

Well, going strictly by numbers (yes, i know that is wrong, hehe), Boyle has been on the ice for 3 goals for (2 ES, 1 PP), and 6 goals against (3 ES, 3 PK).

Compare it to say Cally, who has also been on the ice for 3 goals for (2 ES, 1 PP), but 11 goals against (7 ES(!) and 4 PK).

Girardi leads the entire team (not including goalies) in "getting scored on" (9 ES, 3 PK) with Cally in hot pursuit, while Nash and Zuke are being scored least on (both on ice for 2 goals against). Well, in fairness, Miller wasnt scored against at all, but he didnt get much time up here

Just some "fun statistics" i decided to cobble together, which really means nothing as such.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:15 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Or you could sticky that he's overrated defensively. He's adequate; some nights better, some nights worse. However, he's retarded offensively EVERY night. And so when u put it all together you have a pretty crappy hockey player.

If you think Boyle is overrated defensively and only 'adequate' you have been watching wrong games. He's our 2nd best PKer behind Callahan and Cally is one of the better ones going around.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:18 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garv23 View Post
I'll raise my hand and honestly admit that the only reason I'm not a big fan of Boyle is because he's big, doesn't lay people out and drop the mitts. When I sit down and not think like a meathead though, I realize that the guy is excellent on the PK, decent on face-offs, very solid defensively and would be a welcome addition to any NHL teams bottom lines.

And that's the key. Bottom lines. Can have a guy like Boyle playing in top-6. Or even top-9 for that matter. He's one of the better 4th line centers going around.

Old
10-15-2013, 04:20 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I'm sure it was a very proud moment for you.

Next step is to send Boyle a threatening tweet.

Old
10-15-2013, 06:00 AM
Tender Rip
No cap on coaching!

As a Pens fan, I hope we look at Boyle in free agency next year. Would be a welcome supplement in the bottom 6. Very useful player when used within the confines of what he can do.... as long as he is not to get salary as if that 20 goal season is something to ever expect to see from him again.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Richards View Post
Pretty amazing to think he once scored 20 goals.
Boyle parlayed that season into $5.1M over 3 years. He hasn't done much since 10-11.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:42 AM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
If you think Boyle is overrated defensively and only 'adequate' you have been watching wrong games. He's our 2nd best PKer behind Callahan and Cally is one of the better ones going around.
No he's not. Stepan and Moore for starters are better than him on the pk. Are you judging purely by shot block attempts? Is that u Torts?

Bardof425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:46 AM
darko

Quote:
No he's not. Stepan and Moore for starters are better than him on the pk. Are you judging purely by shot block attempts? Is that u Torts?

No I'm the guy that watches games. You must be the other guy.

Old
10-15-2013, 07:33 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

id like to know how did Boyle score 30 goals in the AHL for the Monarchs???

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 08:05 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
id like to know how did Boyle score 30 goals in the AHL for the Monarchs???
He has a good shot and he is good around the net (hard to move).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:32 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Lollerblading at Moore. Moore has been relatively pointless since he scored the goal in preseason imo

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:37 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
Lollerblading at Moore. Moore has been relatively pointless since he scored the goal in preseason imo
Agreed. Haven't seen much more D. Moore at all. I understand he's still getting back into the swing of things, but Boyle is the better player right now. In fact, Boyle has been one of the better forwards overall, which makes this stupid thread even more stunning and silly.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 09:45 AM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Agreed. Haven't seen much more D. Moore at all. I understand he's still getting back into the swing of things, but Boyle is the better player right now. In fact, Boyle has been one of the better forwards overall, which makes this stupid thread even more stunning and silly.
He deserves a little slide because of the year off but I find it hilarious looking back to the summer with people saying he'll be ten times better for the team than Boyle this year. I'll patiently wait for it to come close to happening

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:51 AM
mullichicken25

Boyle continues to get ice time, and will continue to do so as long as this team continues to display utter incompetance in the defensive zone

Simply put, the Ranger's can not afford to get worse defensively right now.

As the team beings to play better, you will see Boyle's ice time decreased.... and the former will certianlly not be a result of the latter.

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 01:22 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoot Whoot View Post
Half the posts are about boyle can score 20 goals and have are that he sucks. Yet we "don't know the game" because we think he can get 20? I don't get it.

He is underperforming and he doesn't use his size that well. He looks slow on his feet - that one season he worked on his skating he was a demi-god now he is just a nobody.
He doesn't use his body to make hits, that's why he's 2nd on the team in hits and 1st amongst forwards. He doesn't use his body to protect the puck and that's why he's one of 5 players, 4 forwards, who have a giveaway:takeaway ratio of 1:1 or higher. He doesn't use his body to challenge the opposition and stickup for teammates and that's why he got 4 minutes going after Brad Stuart. Pft, this guy's a "nobody", we should dump him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
I love Boyle. Partly because people around here that I disagree with hates him. But mostly because he is a good player at his position. And elevates his game in the PO and out scores Nash. Top value.
3rd liner, big body, chips in an occasional goal, and becomes that huge role player in the playoffs. You can't have too many guys like that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Boyle parlayed that season into $5.1M over 3 years. He hasn't done much since 10-11.
Which is still respectably below league avg salary. Players with comparable salaries are found here and none are too stellar.

Last edited by vipernsx: 10-15-2013 at 01:28 PM.
vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Hockey View Post
for him to be traded or cut? I can't think of a worse forward in the NHL. How how how how how is this clown who uses none of his size, is slow and has no hands STILL a Ranger or even in the NHL? How is NYR management this stupid?

Also how is this no skill waste of a player a media favorite? I'd rather have any other NHL forward as well as many AHL forwards in his place. Why are we not burning him at the stake? Year after year his suckery goes unnoticed. It's tragic.
I think what you meant to say was, "I can't think." Usually you learn how to think critically in grade-school/high-school as well as throughout the course of events in your life... but it's okay if you're not there yet.

Seriously though, you can't think of a worse NHL forward than Brian Boyle? How about half of the tough-guy enforcers in the league that play 3 minutes a night and don't even fight?

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-16-2013, 06:37 AM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
No I'm the guy that watches games. You must be the other guy.
You're right. I've had season tickets for over 20 years. Never watch a game. Next retort.

Old
10-16-2013, 06:39 AM
Bardof425

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnC View Post
This is not his first year of professional hockey. I wonder if some of you guys just picked up the sport two years ago; or maybe you're 17 years old.