HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Highest trade value: Plekanec vs. Markov

View Poll Results: Which has the highest trade value?
Plekanec 82 81.19%
Markov 14 13.86%
Equal Value 5 4.95%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
10-14-2013, 08:10 PM
Noob616

vCash: 500
A 30 year old 55-65pt two way center who plays in all situations and is locked up for 2 more seasons after this on a fair contract vs. a 34 year old pending UFA defenseman with a bad knee who needs a stay at home or exceptionally talented partner to be effective.

Plekanec.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 10:12 PM
Feintastic

Plekanec is probably one of the best 2-way center in the league, a poor man Patrice Bergeron. Should have a really good value.

Having Alex Galchenyuk and Lars Eller we can let him go ''soon''... the more we wait the more he loses value. Its obvious he will be our 3rd center sooner than we all think...after this contract you think hes gonna accept less money and a 3rd role ? He's going to sign somewhere else rofl and we gonna lose him for nothing, we wont pay our 3rd center 5+ millions per year.

Markov is smart, one of the best offensive defenseman. On the other hand last year he was also one of the player with the most turnovers in the whole league so... He does have an interesting value for sure and I dont think the Habs would be hurt alot especially with a young D like Beaulieu in the pool, he's almost ready.

Feintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-14-2013, 11:03 PM
Mr. Hab

Plekanec is here to stay...very reliable and consistent two-way forward, great contract, under-appreciated, underrated, never complains.

AND...

Playoffs:
Pleks>>>Markov

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 02:56 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I was wondering, between these two team pillars, which of the two would have the highest potential trade value?
Pleks by far, and it also makes sense. I also think Markov has 3 good years left, maybe 4, as a no 3-4 D man. That would be 2 years in our cup window.

This is my post in the DD thread on trading Pleks at deadline, and explaining why I think DD will be needed for depth next year if that is the case:

Reading all of this and also looking at the trade for a D thread, I realized that there might be a Bergy plan here after all, a plan that would at least partly explain the DD extension, and the Briere pickup:

We have the following centers for at least this and next year, end of which is the start of cup window:

Pleks, Legit top 2, good number 1.
Eller, becoming a legit top 2, can cover as no. 1 for now.
Chuckie, potential number 1 in 2 years, certainly in 3.
Briere, solid no. 3 center this and next year, especially in PO.
DD, OK no. 3 if given big wingers. Works hard.
Bournival, making his case for great no 4, and possible no. 3 next year.

See anything here? It's called redundancy at center. And I think it was intentional. It would explain the Briere pickup, and gambling on DD.

But we needed this year to see if Eller and Chuckie develop, and also Bournival, who may be the final key, to the following:

I think Habs might want to trade Pleks at deadline, for huge value. I think Pleks could get a really good young top 4 D, and a good pick/prospect, from a contender with a lot of good D, no question whatsoever.

That would leave us at C in 2014:

Eller, top 2 D good defensively and getting better offensively. Can cover for one year while Chuckie develops into our no. 1.
Chuckie: Possibly great offensively, with growing defensive responsibility.
One of Briere, DD, or Bournival as no 3 C. and DD/Briere can fill on as no. 2 if needed. Even Bournival could fill in at no. 2 with his speed and D sense.
Bournival, or 4th line C UFA pickup as no. 4 C.

This is still very good C depth. And DD will be needed if injuries. I don't see Habs tanking with this next year as long as Eller and Chuckie and Bournival keep developing as they have been by this year's deadline, and we have Briere or DD able to fill in as No. 2 C when needed.

AND: A great new young top 4 D, leaving us:

Subby and New top 4, big minute youth.
Emelin and Markov, fantastic 2nd pair.
Tinordi, Gorges, fantastic 3rd pair.

Beaulieu, Nygren etc. and UFA dependable big guy to step in.

Seems like a good D with depth to me.

This may have been the plan this year, to see how Eller did, and Chuckie, and if developing well, pull the trigger on Pleks at his Max value with almost no harm. Do not forget that Pleks is now also turning the corner into decline. The NHL is for 30 year olds and younger, and Bergy knows it with has Hawks experience.

Conclusion: Do not be surprised to see Pleks go at deadline, especially if Habs are out of it, or struggling.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 03:05 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Both have NTCs which means you aren't moving them to get high draft picks, sorry.
Think a bit please. If we trade Pleks, it will be to a legit contender, and Pleks might jump at the chance. Nothing wrong with that. He knows he has 2 very good years left, and will not be in Habs cup window.

Old
10-15-2013, 03:12 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lou4gehrig View Post
I'd trade (not dump) both. We're winning because of EGG, MaxPac, PK. Plek, Gionta, Briere, Markov are all secondary players now and any sane GM should entertain good offers for them.

Reality is our cup window isn't open now. It might be soon. Any stud top 6 winger or top 4 available should be considered, no doubt.
Exactly. Could not believe the replies before yours. I will add that Pleks will not be effective in 3 years, and Marky only as a no. 4 PP QB in the first year of our window. You trade Pleks now, and keep Marky another 3 years. Blindingly obvious.

When are people going to realize that you do not win cups with key players, especially centers and no. 1 D, over 30?. Recchi and such are massive exceptions, and they were support players, not key players. FFS.

Old
10-15-2013, 05:27 AM
BrimStone64

Plekanec by a mile. He's younger, healthy and signed long term.

BrimStone64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 06:05 AM
Spearmint Rhino

Was up to me both have a For Sale sign hanging around their neck, these guys have lead us nowhere and their best days are behind them - they were good soldiers and effective players but so was Saku

Last time we dealt someone like this was Rivet that got us Gorges & Pacioretty, worked out ok

Markov probably fetches the highest return being a rental but it's like trying to decide when to trade in on a new car, you take the gamble to run the old one longer and the transmission goes and it's worthless, 50/50 he's on the DL come deadline, do you wait?

And it's not the end of the world if we keep them but forget the hometown discounts so be prepared to pay market value if you want them to retire as Habs, that limits the surrounding cast we can afford for the new core

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 10:40 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Exactly. Could not believe the replies before yours. I will add that Pleks will not be effective in 3 years, and Marky only as a no. 4 PP QB in the first year of our window. You trade Pleks now, and keep Marky another 3 years. Blindingly obvious.

When are people going to realize that you do not win cups with key players, especially centers and no. 1 D, over 30?. Recchi and such are massive exceptions, and they were support players, not key players. FFS.
Not a C, but Hossa wasn't a key player last year? Chara? Lidstrom? Mike Richards might only be 28, but he's been on a decline for 3 years already due to his size and style of play.

If you are going to be condescending, you might not want to say something irrational. Players are clearly on the decline by 30, they don't magically lose their effectiveness overnight without suffering injuries though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spearmint Rhino View Post
Was up to me both have a For Sale sign hanging around their neck, these guys have lead us nowhere and their best days are behind them - they were good soldiers and effective players but so was Saku

Last time we dealt someone like this was Rivet that got us Gorges & Pacioretty, worked out ok
When we ditched Saku, we replaced him with Scott Gomez. Saku meanwhile has gone on to continue to be productive a conference where it was harder to make the playoffs.

Why are you guys talking about tanking anyway? Because we have a few kinda-old players?

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Spearmint Rhino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Not a C, but Hossa wasn't a key player last year? Chara? Lidstrom? Mike Richards might only be 28, but he's been on a decline for 3 years already due to his size and style of play.

If you are going to be condescending, you might not want to say something irrational. Players are clearly on the decline by 30, they don't magically lose their effectiveness overnight without suffering injuries though.

When we ditched Saku, we replaced him with Scott Gomez. Saku meanwhile has gone on to continue to be productive a conference where it was harder to make the playoffs.

Why are you guys talking about tanking anyway? Because we have a few kinda-old players?
That's more my point, we ditched Saku instead of trying to get value for him. I'm a big fan of not letting UFAs walk for nothing - if you're a serious cup contender yes you keep them but if you're a semi-rebuilding fringe playoff team I don't think we can afford to lose a guy like Markov for nothing and I don't believe he re-signs for a penny under $5MM, it' not about tanking, more succession planning

As for Plekaneks he's probably the most valuable trade asset we have and doesn't project to be in the top 6 fwd in 2014, $5MM/yr is alot for a 3rd line centre and he should be able to get us a nice return for a younger guy with a higher ceiling, thinking someone like Chiasson in Dallas so maybe some short term pain for long term gain

Spearmint Rhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-15-2013, 05:19 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Finally a thread where someone considers trading Plekanec! and Markov! I can't remember the last time we traded someone who still had some considerable value.

In this case I will say Markov because he brings something tangible to the table, and that's a proven PP quarterback. I'd say it's a lot harder for another team to know what they're getting with Plekanec. There's no real guarantee that he can ever get back to a consistent 55-60 points a season. The only thing you can really count on is that he's a good two-way centerman, but who wants to pay 5m a year for that, i'm not really sure.

Plekanec has less question marks health-wise of course, but when you factor in their contracts, I'd say Markov would fetch you a better deal. That means that you might get back more for Plex, but what you get back for Markov will be more manageable.

If Plekanec was traded today, i see more of a Michael Cammalieri-type package in return. Some prospects and some salary coming back that is a little bit iffy. Calgary's thinking at the time was sort of like "ok we're taking on their problem salary, let's unload ours." We totally won that trade, but it could have turned into a headache.

If Markov were traded, it would be more in the way of prospects and picks (and maybe a player also on the last year of his contract) because he's on the last year of a deal. Much more manageable.

I don't think it's the right time to trade either guy, but i think trading Markov at the deadline and Plekanec next year makes a lot of sense.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote